allanp

Technic is just for kids, and you can build anything so stop complaining!

Adult fan of Technic poll  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding accessibility

• Technic is perfect the way it is
    • Technic sets aimed at older/more experienced builders are just a little too compromised in the direction of less experienced builders
    • Technic sets aimed at older/more experienced builders are way too compromised in the direction of less experienced builders
    • All Technic sets seem to be made to cater for babies!
  2. 2. Regarding adult appeal

• Technic sets aimed at older/more experienced builders could do with more things that appeal to adults (OK but could be better)
    • Minus only a few exceptions released years ago Technic sets supposedly aimed at older builders have no adult appeal at all (not OK)
  3. 3. What appeals to me as an adult fan of Technic (multiple choice but try to limit to only about 3...ish if you can)

• A variety of mechanisms
    • Realistic mechanisms
    • New parts
    • High part count
    • Authentic looking model
    • Remote control
    • Mechanisms that are unrealistically complex for the sake of complexity
    • Premium packaging
  4. 4. Regarding authenticity, although both is preferable, which is more important

• Authentic mechanisms
    • Authentic looks
  5. 5. Regarding fixes and improvements to Technic sets

• I'm fine with TLG releasing sets with some functions that don't work properly as I can fix it
    • I am somewhat disappointed when functions don't work correctly
    • I am very disappointed when functions don't work correctly
  6. 6. Regarding current parts selection and the ability to make whatever you want from Technic

• I like to MOC but sometimes I think Technic has some gaps in the parts catalogue preventing me from building what I really want (ie realistic 7 speed gearbox just for example)
    • The Technic parts catalogue is terrible, I can't build anything like how I want!
  7. 7. Regarding colour coding

• Colour coding is a bit to childish looking and garish in Technic sets aimed at older/more experienced builders
    • Colour coding is way too childish looking and garish in Technic sets aimed at older/more experienced builders
    • Colour coding of any kind is no good, go back to how it was in the early 90's!
  8. 8. Regarding PU

• It's great for sets but not fun and/or difficult to make MOCs with but would be great with only better documentation
    • It's great for sets but not fun and/or difficult to make MOCs with but would be great with better documentation and desperately needs a physical controller
    • It's great for sets but not fun and/or difficult to make MOCs with, and can't improve
    • It's no good for sets or for making MOCs, go back to PF
  9. 9. Regarding RC

• RC is perfectly done, I want more RC sets at they are
    • RC is a great idea, but RC sets are too simple and expensive. Make RC sets more mechanically interesting (complex/realistic) to match their price and I would like RC sets more than I do
    • RC should be in kiddie sets only
    • RC is just the worst!
  10. 10. Regarding B models

• I don't need them
    • I miss every set having a B model, but it hasn't ever once changed my buying decision
    • I'm ok with licenced sets not having a b-model but all non licenced sets should have a b-model
    • Every set should have a b model, but I'll buy it if the A model is brilliant
    • I won't buy it if there's no b model

19 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Since certain criminal "brands" only are able to copy/steal ideas of others there is no competition at all.

I am not talking about what LEPIN was doing. They got smacked with the death stick, and rightfully so.

I am talking about CADA for example, they offer original products, pay MOCers for their designs and have good brick quality. They are what you call competition, in the same sense that VW is competition for Mercedes even though they didn't invent the car.

1 hour ago, XenoRad said:

Regarding the color coding I believe it could be used much more intelligently. Right now Lego seems content with throwing the odd colored part here and there. A better choice would probably be to color code different sub-assemblies. So that the engine has one color, the gearbox another, the suspension another and the chassis another and make these easily recognizable against each-other while also still somewhat consistent in the grey-black palette.

yes please! I think this could make a huge difference. And in cases here designers couldn't decided which section a piece should be in, force them to design in a more modular fashion. I recently rebuilt 8448. Its explicit modularity was such a breath of fresh air!

6 hours ago, Bublehead said:

We must realize, when we complain about any aspect of TLG’s decisions we may be actually be arguing for the companies demise as opposed to their success?

I'm not much bothered by that to be honest. There’s already viable competitors. I’m not really pro the idea of supporting a huge company that can’t even support itself. That's for the Danish government to subsidise, not me.

Edited by Bartybum

9 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

And? There’s already viable competitors.

Yes. Fully agree. It is getting pretty much closer.

It may be off-topic as it is non-Technic - built the Flying Dutchman from MK recently. Man. That was a blast. True modeling. No playability. Just beauty. She sits here - and nothing TLG ever made comes even remotely close. Of course, as far as I am concerned.

And yes, I am still a 90% TLG only "follower". 10% are gone because of the FD experience.

Complaining is one (lame) thing. Constructive criticism is another. And careful wording a third. If I were in charge at TLG, I would always read all the complaints and criticism, regardless of wording: Learning and learning. TLG is successful. So you can just shrug it off or ignore any of the complaints etc., live in your own bubble of success - or you can take these as input for future decisions. I bet they do the latter without telling much about it. 60 years of success ... no other way, as far as I am concerned.

Best
Thorsten 

15 hours ago, howitzer said:

You should familiarize yourself with the newest Mindstorms hub, it's about the same size as the PF battery box and the large number of different kinds of motors give a lot of flexibility in design. You can also use a gaming controller if you want a physical remote. Of course using all that requires a significant amount of programming effort but the possibilities are there.

Yeah, the new Mindstorms hub is fairly appealing, but it's just too expensive for me. BC2 is a great controller alternative for serious fans, but casual builders are unlikely to know it exists, or be bothered to try it.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

CADA original products,

Yes I found out...

I was JUST in time to throw their damned lithium battery out the window where in burst in flames while still falling.
JC... that was close.
I have a topic somewhere else where I told all this before.

26 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I was JUST in time to throw their damned lithium battery out the window where in burst in flames while still falling.

Lol rip

17 hours ago, allanp said:

So you complain that people aren't allowed to have a different opinion (despite this whole topic encouraging exactly that) and then you complain when people complain which is basically just having a different opinion than you.

No... i complain about the endless childish moaning. A logical structured debate is a brilliant thing. My ONLY issue is the dummy spitting moaning. Its as simple as that.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

i complain about the endless childish moaning.

I honestly can't say that I see endless childish moaning in this forum. Elsewhere sure, but not here

In fairness to @TeamThrifty it could be that many share the same views. The data from the poll results so far is looking very interesting and seems to back that up. So it could be that we are seeing the same complaints but from multiple different people. But that's ok, everyone should be allowed to express their views. 

3 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Yes I found out...

JC... that was close.
I have a topic somewhere else where I told all this before.

Link that topic then, would ya? This is the first time I heared of this problem.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

In fairness to @TeamThrifty it could be that many share the same views. The data from the poll results so far is looking very interesting and seems to back that up. So it could be that we are seeing the same complaints but from multiple different people. But that's ok, everyone should be allowed to express their views. 

Thanks for making this post @allanp.  Just offered my votes.  

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I honestly can't say that I see endless childish moaning in this forum. Elsewhere sure, but not here

I have offered this in the past but it doesn't seem to take any traction.  Thats okay... but IMO it does reflect my problems with some forms of feedback.  

I do get where @TeamThriftyis coming from,  but I would neither articulate it as "endless childish moaning" (a tad bit dramatic IMO) nor do I think it the real issue.  When folks complain about say, a gearbox that has too much friction in it and barely works, AND can be fixed fairly easily (AFOLs on this site have solved gearbox problems in 42056 and 83 in like a week) I think folks have all the right in the world to call foul.  Spend 4-500ish bucks on something that does not really work?  Yea....That is not gonna sit well with folks.  My concerns lie in that there does seem to be tons of "complaining" about issues that are essentially only preferences; which I can think of no other interpretation to other than the belief that TLG should build a whole  model, not to mention a flagship model, of one's specific desire for a certain thing. Which not only do I think is ludicrous, I think it is very self-centered.  Complaints about gearbox versus all functions w/motor, color preference, or the motley of other similar gripes are not critiquing a model, or the engineering behind it, etc., they are simply gripes that YOU did not get what YOU wanted.  The operative object of the gripe lies NOT in the design of the model (as it should be IMO) but rather in the desires or preferences of the person making the gripe.....    

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

THIS TOPIC IS GETTING BORING. 

no u

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

My concerns lie in that there does seem to be tons of "complaining" about issues that are essentially only preferences; which I can think of no other interpretation to other than the belief that TLG should build a whole  model, not to mention a flagship model, of one's specific desire for a certain thing

But even with that in mind, I can't recall ever seeing stuff like this. I see people posting wishlists of what they'd like to see in a set, I see people commenting on sets being too expensive for what they offer, I see people discussing the feasibility/likelihood of features, and often saying that a set isn't for them, but off the top of my head I've never seen people actively complain about sets having features they didn't want (that were purely a matter of preference, unrelated to cost). Or, at least enough people doing it to make me raise my eyebrows.

Edited by Bartybum

2 hours ago, Doug72 said:

THIS TOPIC IS GETTING BORING.

Lol.... I actually agree.  Not sure I would state it outright... as there are likely plenty of folks saying to themselves THEN DON"T READ IT..... but like I said... I actually agree with you.  

I will bow out and stick to more building-themed threads.   At the end of the day it is a hobby and all about fun.  No need to "adult"erize something that is meant to be light-hearted and fun... life has a tendency to do that too much as it is....

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

I will bow out and stick to more building-themed threads.   At the end of the day it is a hobby and all about fun.  No need to "adult"erize something that is meant to be light-hearted and fun... life has a tendency to do that too much as it is....

Me too. I'm out.

I would like to know what people really want in a Technic flagship set, is it neat mechanisms or realistic ones? Is it one motor, many functions, or one motor per function?  Is it pack it full of as many different technologies as possible, like pneumatics, LA’s, transmissions, plus all the trappings of a vehicle, with fake motor, pistons, suspension, steering? Is it RC and can it be controlled completely by RC without having to switch manual functions?  Is it supercars or construction equipment? Is it a certain number of functions, some motorized, some manual? Is it all motorized and completely RC?  

I always looked at flagship sets as a showcase of ALL things Technic, that is, it incorporates everything we have seen to date in one set...  The AROCs and Unimog sets hit this mark fairly well, the RTC was a decent set, although lacking pneumatics. The off-road wrecker, however, was an abomination as far as flagship sets go, it tried very hard to check all the boxes, but was a dismal failure due to the clunkiness and crappy pricing.  

All this being said, it has been a while since TLG knocked a flagship set out of the park.  If a Caterpillar bulldozer is the next flagship set, it will be a big disappointment in my book.  We have already seen a RC bulldozer flagship, and let’s say the Liebherr was about as flagshippy as we have seen in a while, however it was not that much fun to play with once it was built.  Would have really liked a B model (and Control+ profile) to extend the value of the set.

But I am not whining or complaining, just stating an opinion on flagship Technic sets of the recent past.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, NKubate said:

... Which is why I am hardly active here. I got so many times either flamed for my posts or completely ignored that I can't be bothered anymore. Sure it is in people their nature to complain, but in particularly arguments seem to escalate on the Internet where everything becomes polarized. Instead of posting on forums open to everyone I prefer just to write my point of view through blogs and leave it at that. If people really want to discuss things they are always welcome to contact me and I will gladly continue discussing things behind the scenes. I'm really not that hard to find or reach, it just requires a little extra effort. But we're getting way off-topic now...

Yes, I know the feeling ... that is why I'm no longer a regular... I disappear for weeks at a time then an old flame comes back to life. Good 'hearing' from you again ... or maybe we're getting older (and wiser) and have less and less patience for non-sensical squirmiches. 

Also ...

Not sure about the community at large ... but I find it 'impressive' (or is it disheartening) that a thread with so many answers ... does not have a single photo !!!

I'm disappointed though, as when I come here, is to see pictures ... not read incessant rambling... To each his own I guess.

*Peace*

Edited by DrJB

On 2/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bartybum said:

I'm not much bothered by that to be honest. There’s already viable competitors. I’m not really pro the idea of supporting a huge company that can’t even support itself. That's for the Danish government to subsidise, not me.

Wow.. I disagree strongly. TLG is the Mothership for me. Although other provide bricks etc, they're just churning out the development done by tlg... no tlg, no development, no flagships. That's why i support tlg regardless of the occasional hiccup.

31 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Although other provide bricks etc, they're just churning out the development done by tlg... no tlg, no development, no flagships.

CaDA respectfully disagrees lol

hail corporate

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

no tlg, no development, no flagships

I changed my mind on this issue after building the "Flying Dutchman" form MouldKing. I have not seriously searched for the original builder/company ... it sounded like a product from them. So if that one is a rip off then I do apologize

In any case, for me, it is a real flagship - with very original ideas and building techniques not found in LEGO models (maybe as they are too unstable during the building process but in the end turn out rather nice). And very nice unique parts as well.

I'm still 90% with TLG, but I like to look around and make up my mind. If we were as purist with everything else in our life as we are with LEGO bricks and TLG, China would certainly not be the #1 exporter in the world.

Best
Thorsten

Sorry to bring more negativity to this thread but felt the need to rant a little bit about the 10295 Porsche set I'm just currently building. Yes, it's not Technic, but does have Technic parts and it's one of those 18+ sets that's seemingly confused about why that is.

The Porsche 911 is my favorite sports car so I was really excited to get this one, especially since it looked good in the promotional videos and shots. I'm sure it will look great when done, but at least building wise I'm not enjoying myself as much as I thought I would.

I'm still building the chassis, I've just finished bag 2 or 10 and well - here's a couple of screenshots of the color coding used:

20210217_155954

20210217_161941

It looks all over the place and this with plenty of existing vividly colored parts already covered. So far I've counted 8 different colors used and looking at the rest of the bags I'm probably adding at least 3-4 more before the chassis is done. Now generally I'm not bothered by a bit of color coding, but this is simply too much for me. There are so many different piece types and colors that plenty of times it looks like I'm just following instructions to add random parts. I'm building stuff that doesn't really look like anything. Certainly not the internals of a car.

And it's not just the number of colors, but their proximity to one another. You get brown next to red next to black next to light gray next to dark gray next to white and all within a small area. And I can't wait to see where the green, light blue and orange that I spotted still in the bags go.

It's a real pity, especially since all Lego had to do was to either eliminate a few colors (like cut their number in half) or redistribute them to reduce the "bedazzlement of the eye".

Edited by XenoRad

On 2/16/2021 at 12:46 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Spend 4-500ish bucks on something that does not really work?  Yea....That is not gonna sit well with folks.  My concerns lie in that there does seem to be tons of "complaining" about issues that are essentially only preferences; which I can think of no other interpretation to other than the belief that TLG should build a whole  model, not to mention a flagship model, of one's specific desire for a certain thing. Which not only do I think is ludicrous, I think it is very self-centered.  Complaints about gearbox versus all functions w/motor, color preference, or the motley of other similar gripes are not critiquing a model, or the engineering behind it, etc., they are simply gripes that YOU did not get what YOU wanted.  The operative object of the gripe lies NOT in the design of the model (as it should be IMO) but rather in the desires or preferences of the person making the gripe.....    

I think this is a very good point. There's outright errors in sets (such as 42110's gearbox not working and clicking/grinding), and there's outright preference (such as color coding).

But there's also many, many things that fall somewhere in between, where it's a gray area. Is 42125's flexy chassis a mistake, or just a preference thing? And the fact that 42110's engine only starts running after driving 50 cm in one direction? Is that a bad function, or a preference?

Both of these cases I would call bad design and I feel fully justified to point things like this out.

Color coding on the other hand, is purely preference, and actually something I'm not even against. I do it myself extensively. Also, in the real world, things are color-coded too, so I don't see the problem (besides part re-usability when MOCing).

Also, again ( @XenoRad but also in general) , please keep in mind that adult is not the same as experienced. Cars like that 10295 Creator 911 cater to car fans, not necessarily people with any building experience.