Sign in to follow this  
Brickander Brickumnus

NONE of the 10K Pirate LEGO Ideas Submissions have been approved!

15 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

The actual business strategy is to release a new wave of Pirate sets every 5-7 years (with 6 years being the average).

So 2009... 2015... 2021...

Therefore, releasing Pirate themed LEGO Idea sets at present may interfere with that strategy.

Good insight :thumbup:

50 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

3) Not releasing a set that contains only cannons. Again, I want to add some more cannons to my Pirates of the Barracuda Bay. I want to buy them new, not used from Bricklink.

Lego are currently selling new cannons individually via bricks and pieces (at least in the UK)

Design # for carriage is 2527 and for cannon itself is 29978.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

The actual business strategy is to release a new wave of Pirate sets every 5-7 years (with 6 years being the average).

So 2009... 2015... 2021...

Therefore, releasing Pirate themed LEGO Idea sets at present may interfere with that strategy.

It may be, the theory being that give the kids a wave, then wait a few years to get new kids in the right pirate-age. However the first years we got new sets every year so the kids could collect them for several years until they got to old. In addition only 2 points is not a very strong dataset to make future predictions on :shrug_oh_well:
I remain hopeful that Lego are working on new big set to target the adults that bought B-Bay. A normal wave of sets aimed for kids would not compete with that rather add to it :classic:

21 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Or maybe it has something to do with these Chinese companies who produce counterfeit versions of LEGO sets.

One stole the design for the Caribbean Clipper remake and put it into production themselves - and didn't give the builder credit, let alone royalties.

While AFOLs wouldn't purchase this, parents buying for their children may not give the manufacturer a second though.  So this is an example how a counterfeit brand can interfere with the market.

image.png

Just a minor correction for clarification.

This isn't the design of the Caribbean Clipper remake, but the design of a much larger 4th rate Ship of the Line.

The Chinese modified it a little, scaling it down to the size of prefabricated hull pieces.
Of course it's obviously way inferior to the original fan design, but as you said some parents will definitely buy it for their kids.

Here is a comparison of the 4th rate Ship of the Line with the Caribbean Clipper remake. As you can see, there is clearly a difference in size.

jniB5pQ.jpg

And here is a comparison with the Imperial Flagship (10210).

OJGbnjw.jpg

There is a big possibility that in a few months we might see the Caribbean Clipper remake being sold by a Chinese company, albeit with prefabricated hulls.
If this happens... honestly, as one that has many Chinese pirate ships (bought them before LEGO announcing the release of Pirates of the Barracuda Bay), I'll be very tempted to buy it.

By the way, they have done the same thing with Pirates of the Barracuda Bay and the original Pirates Bay IDEAS submission. releasing both sets individually as copies!
And they took it a step further, by releasing Pirates of the Barracuda Bay as a ship with black sails, together with the rests of the parts as a rudimentary base-structure plus a huge brick built baseplate. It's a complete diorama.

And this thing happens with other themes and MOC designs.
For example, the recently approved IDEAS set, The Starry Night.
https://www.brickfanatics.com/aliexpress-is-already-selling-a-knock-off-version-of-lego-ideas-the-starry-night/

As I've said before, LEGO should really up it's game. Cause if they don't, they'll might be in big trouble further down the line.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

2 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Here is a comparison of the 4th rate Ship of the Line with the Caribbean Clipper remake. As you can see, there is clearly a difference in size.

Was there supposed to be photos? The image URLs appear to be broken or not publicly accessible.

2 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

image.png

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Was there supposed to be photos? The image URLs appear to be broken or not publicly accessible.

They are publicly accessible. No idea why links keep getting broken.

I uploaded them to Imgur and edited my post.

12 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Thank you for providing that comparison! :pir-thumb:

The Caribbean Clipper remake looks diminutive when put side by side with the original.

In regards of the Caribbean Clipper remake design:

It is not 100% copied but it would be easy to re-design it into a larger ship. The company could use the exact same techniques as the Ideas project but make it bigger...

Geez.  I was just trying to be salty in support of the designer.  This design isn't really my style, I hadn't intended on buying it.  I just wanted to show support to the guy who spent time designing and marketing it.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:42 AM, Roebuck said:

No a big surprise since Lego probably working on something similar do to the massive success of B-Bay :pir-wink: Several similar sets where even removed from Ideas before they could reach 10 000 or was stopped at the door when they where submitted. So that is a clear hint, why they do not do the same for modulars etc I do not know *huh*

There is no pirate-related in the pipeline.. I know for sure.. And we can submit Imperial sets again. So my project that was turned down last year is now on Ideas. 

1 hour ago, Piraten said:

There is no pirate-related in the pipeline.. I know for sure.. And we can submit Imperial sets again. So my project that was turned down last year is now on Ideas. 

Maybe there was a change of LEGO plans.

Guess, we might have to reverse engineer the Caribbean Clipper remake, like we did with the Pirate Bay... for those of us that like this ship and want to build it.

1 hour ago, Piraten said:

There is no pirate-related in the pipeline.. I know for sure..

How do you know for sure?

9 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Geez.  I was just trying to be salty in support of the designer.  This design isn't really my style, I hadn't intended on buying it.  I just wanted to show support to the guy who spent time designing and marketing it.

Hmm. I find it very interesting why different people support projects. I personally didn't much care for the pirate bay submission but was delighted with what TLG turned it into. I supported the Caribbean Clipper remake with the same assumption; that it would be modified to fit the Lego brand and the final product would be better. On the other hand, some people are outraged that TLG changes the original design at all.

Not making a judgment. Just think it's interesting. 

1 hour ago, rock raider said:

Hmm. I find it very interesting why different people support projects. I personally didn't much care for the pirate bay submission but was delighted with what TLG turned it into. I supported the Caribbean Clipper remake with the same assumption; that it would be modified to fit the Lego brand and the final product would be better. On the other hand, some people are outraged that TLG changes the original design at all.

Not making a judgment. Just think it's interesting. 

Good point @rock raider - Whatever the Idea is, it is likely going to come out of the TLG review/design process looking different. Seems like showing support for Pirates ideas would yield good results no matter what!

Only potential hiccup there is the BrickLink AFOL program that might turn some non-selected Ideas into sets :pir-grin:

9 hours ago, Piraten said:

There is no pirate-related in the pipeline.. I know for sure..

*huh*

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I would like to know as well :pir-blush:

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I just do :) 

No all the retailers of Lego get a plan for 2021... And no pirates... They just got the plan for the second half of 2021...  And beside that.. I talked to a Lego-employee... No pirates..

But hey.. Lets hope we can get a pirate project trough the new Bricklink/ Ideas thing. 

36 minutes ago, Piraten said:

I just do :) 

No all the retailers of Lego get a plan for 2021... And no pirates... They just got the plan for the second half of 2021...  And beside that.. I talked to a Lego-employee... No pirates..

What I am hoping for is a big follow up set from the B-Bay not a normal wave aimed at kids and that would probably not show up in any retailer catalogue (maybe next year is more likely) :shrug_oh_well:

I would add that getting new pirate sets, even if I don't like the set, means more minifig types being available.  And considering how Lego has stepped up their minifig efforts over the years, I'd be stoked for a GOOD bluecoat redesign as I really didn't care for the 2015 ones.  The half dozen or so that I got I wound up making into mercenaries or militia.  I haven't quite decided which, but I'm inclined to go with mercenaries as they're currently aboard my armed merchantman.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

This isn't the design of the Caribbean Clipper remake, but the design of a much larger 4th rate Ship of the Line.

It looks not so bad, this expanded version of the original design, it's a shame that the cloning company didn't go a step further, they could have work out a more realistic looking ship, instead of copying the Ideas design.

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

It looks not so bad, this expanded version of the original design, it's a shame that the cloning company didn't go a step further, they could have work out a more realistic looking ship, instead of copying the Ideas design.

They didn't copy the Ideas design.

They copied the 4th rate Ship of the Line, scaling it down to the prefabricated hull dimensions.
The 4th rate Ship of the Line is a much bigger ship, which wasn't submitted to the Ideas and can't be submitted, due to the very high piece count.

v9xBJ1i.jpg

9 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

They didn't copy the Ideas design.

They copied the 4th rate Ship of the Line, scaling it down to the prefabricated hull dimensions.

So they did some modifications, but in the wrong way. :pir-grin:

I've shared this news to a Chinese lego community, their reaction is the same as one may expect from lego fans, frustration and indignation. It may be interesting to note that these cloning companies not only steal from Ideas, but also from Chinese moccers. Alas, currently ,there's little we can do against these counterfeits, but at least I'm sure that those who buy lego sets won't buy these copies. 

8 hours ago, Bodi said:

I've shared this news to a Chinese lego community, their reaction is the same as one may expect from lego fans, frustration and indignation.

How big is the Chinese LEGO community, anyway?

We get Chinese fans joining the Classic Pirates Facebook Group quite regularly but that's not really showing us the bigger picture.

5 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

It's probably not too big

Thanks for the information! :pir-thumb:

That webpage says "A total of 1,739 fans took part [...] The swashbuckling theme came out on top with 692 votes, representing 39.79% of all votes cast."

Given the population of China is almost 1.4 billion, 1,739 participants is very small sample size.