mrcp6d

Dragon Attack on the Village Outskirts

Dragons are somewhat rare in Mitgardia, and while some are tamable, most are deadly if reclusive wild animals.  The Western Large-Maw Wyvern species is known for eating deer, bear, and especially mammoth--putting its disproportionately large head and mouth to good use.  While they typically inhabit the more remote mountains and foothills north of Erikson and avoid contact with humans, every now and then one of these winged fire-breathers is pressured out of its home range and become a hungry menace to the smaller villages in the country between Erikson, Falkidalr, Nordheim, and Northridge.

50896232728_0a0ec6dfd7_b.jpg

It's good to build in the Guilds again!  I actually started the dragon before even last year's CCC and had it almost complete back then but didn't finish it or build anything to go with it.  The wing fabric was designed by me in FUSION360 and then laser cut.  Totally a fantastic way to do this kind of stuff as opposed to trying to cut stud-sized holes with a leather punch or something and the outline with a rotary wheel and scissors--I tried that with a test piece, it's not fun and frayed edges are a thing.  CAD makes relating all the features super accurate, even through the angles created by the hinges.

More angles in the Flickr album.  C&C is always good.

I like the consistency of the stone technique on both the building and the bridge.  The snow technique is great.  Very interesting techniques on the dragon - it looks very posable.

Wonderful scene (well, not for the guy on the boat, but for us looking at it).

For some reason I really like the spindly snow covered tree - it looks like it's met this dragon before. :laugh:  The articulation and pose on the dragon are also really nice, and I love the attention to detail with the tilt of the boat!

On 2/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, jtooker said:

I like the consistency of the stone technique on both the building and the bridge.  The snow technique is great.  Very interesting techniques on the dragon - it looks very posable.

Wonderful scene (well, not for the guy on the boat, but for us looking at it).

On 2/5/2021 at 9:38 AM, Kai NRG said:

For some reason I really like the spindly snow covered tree - it looks like it's met this dragon before. :laugh:  The articulation and pose on the dragon are also really nice, and I love the attention to detail with the tilt of the boat!

Thanks folks!  Yes, the dragon is quite articulated; I need to get some pictures posted of it separate from the dio this week.

Wow, another great dragon build!  The dragon is the real show stealer to me, with its great articulated wings and fiery breath...The laser cut wings are awesome.  Not to detract from the rest of the build, since the bridge is great, and I love how you are able to clearly show the Mitgardian architecture with the steep sloped roofs and the snow everywhere.  The snow is particularly good, looking like old snow with a few cleared or melted areas.  One of my favorite parts is the stream, where you did an excellent job portraying depth, and I think the deep blue color is an outstanding juxtaposition to the red in the dragon.  The trees work well too, some fairly sparse pines denoting the mountainous region.  Great job and good to see you building again!

Absolutely love it, mate!

The Mitgardian setting is instantly recognizable. The snow, the timber, the stone.. Nice work with the trees, I love the whole environment with the stream and the bridge combining the viking-like house. 
And that Large-Maw Wyvern.. pheew! What a fearsome beast! I applaud your work on the custom wings, the color blocking is fantastic, the poseable legs are perfect, and that head is so cool! Amazing work.

I also like how all the peasants and guards seem to be frightened, running all around, afraid of the dragon. Loving the action, here. 

And, man! That tilted boat is a terrific touch. 

Great entry, sir MRCP! It is always a thrill to see more of this vast land called Mitgardia.
Skol!

The long low drifts of snow look absolutely fabulous :wub: Great work making them flow around the boulders naturally too.

Your custom wings turned out great and I always love seeing the old viking shields used in Mitgardian scenes :thumbup:

I finally got some standalone pics taken of the beastie!

51188872605_0a992d9a74_c.jpg

51187808551_b946b81437_c.jpg

51188872635_2638514944_c.jpg

On 2/7/2021 at 1:49 PM, Grover said:

Wow, another great dragon build!  The dragon is the real show stealer to me, with its great articulated wings and fiery breath...The laser cut wings are awesome.  Not to detract from the rest of the build, since the bridge is great, and I love how you are able to clearly show the Mitgardian architecture with the steep sloped roofs and the snow everywhere.  The snow is particularly good, looking like old snow with a few cleared or melted areas.  One of my favorite parts is the stream, where you did an excellent job portraying depth, and I think the deep blue color is an outstanding juxtaposition to the red in the dragon.  The trees work well too, some fairly sparse pines denoting the mountainous region.  Great job and good to see you building again!

Thanks Grover!  Honestly the trees came out a little more "sparse" than I really wanted, probably should have added at least another set of branches to each of them.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:24 AM, Louis of Nutwood said:

Absolutely love it, mate!

The Mitgardian setting is instantly recognizable. The snow, the timber, the stone.. Nice work with the trees, I love the whole environment with the stream and the bridge combining the viking-like house. 
And that Large-Maw Wyvern.. pheew! What a fearsome beast! I applaud your work on the custom wings, the color blocking is fantastic, the poseable legs are perfect, and that head is so cool! Amazing work.

I also like how all the peasants and guards seem to be frightened, running all around, afraid of the dragon. Loving the action, here. 

And, man! That tilted boat is a terrific touch. 

Great entry, sir MRCP! It is always a thrill to see more of this vast land called Mitgardia.
Skol!

Inspiration on the legs came from this and probably some others' usage of those modified 2x2 plates in other animals and mechs over the years.  I knew the head was going to be big and heavy, so I tried to keep the neck short.  I lost some clutch power in those joints though and so the stream of fire was actually holding the dragon upright for photography here! :dangry:  Glad you liked this one!  Hopefully one of us wins this CCC category if the results are ever posted.  :laugh:

On 2/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, Sam Sinister said:

Quick! Submit the amazing knight Lancelot immediately!

Lancelot might help here!  

On 3/31/2021 at 9:24 AM, soccerkid6 said:

The long low drifts of snow look absolutely fabulous :wub: Great work making them flow around the boulders naturally too.

Your custom wings turned out great and I always love seeing the old viking shields used in Mitgardian scenes :thumbup:

Thanks SK!  It was definitely a focus of mine to get the slopes all going in the same direction here.  I thought it would look good here since the MOC itself is pretty long and give a sense of windblown snow rather than a haphazard pile of white Lego.  Therefore, I'm glad this was a recognized highlight for you!

On 4/20/2021 at 10:18 PM, socalbricks said:

So many things to like in this - I particularly like the detailing on the masonry, snow, and tree. Great work!

Thanks socalbricks!

On 5/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, mrcp6d said:

I finally got some standalone pics taken of the beastie!

He's quite a cutie, I love the poseability of the wings, not something I usually see on brick-built dragons!

I'm quite late to the party (or not party), but I just now saw these pictures. :laugh:

Edited by Kai NRG

allow me to issue a very late welcome back! The Dagon is quite impressive, and the build is nothing to sleep on ether. Nicely done!