Sign in to follow this  
ejayb

7w Roof on 6w Body

I'm working on an open summer wagon. The prototype has an overhanging roof with a horizontal blue support running under it.

e-news-45.jpg

I've used jumpers on the end windows and on top of each vertical support to centre a 7w roof.

5FCU63t.png

Then I've used jumpers to fill in the rest of the horizontal support between the windows.

3mKsnQK.png

Is there a better way to do this?

You can build a normal 6-wide roof + use plate with rail, that gives a nice 1/2 stud overhang on each side. 

Red locomotive

Also I would reduce the number of blue roof supports....they are too dominating right now...

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake. Picture inserted

Thanks Selander. I tried both of your suggestions. Less supports does look better. 

DuU8Ta6.png

Qicrc5b.png

Good ! Since you build digitally you could try plate with rail in blue color, and eliminate the layer of blue plates which is now on top of roof supports. It might give the roof a more elegant look.

I would suggest panels and return to the original count of six supports. The bricks are entirely too thick, however, it is looking good, keep it up!

3 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Would empty window frames work 

They wouldn’t allow me to have the reddish brown tiled ledge

2 hours ago, High_Admiral said:

I would suggest panels 

Which panels? What for? 

I agree the bricks are too thick but I want to keep the brown ledge at the bottom of the opening. 

8 minutes ago, ejayb said:

Which panels? What for?

For the roof supports, but now having looked in Studio, its come to my attention that there are no 1 wide panels. I was suggesting to use a 1 wide panel with the thinner side facing outwards, but that will no look good with a 2 wide panel

Edited by High_Admiral

3 hours ago, Selander said:

plate with rail in blue color

The blue horizontal support should be directly above the vertical ones, set back below the white/grey roof. 

18 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

1 wide panel

Ah yes that would be good 

You might consider building the sides in SNOT rather than stacked bricks for a thinner profile. Then your vertical supports could be as little as one plate thick.

I would look at part 3957/3957b Antenna 1x4 for the roof supports. Both versions exist in Blue.