Sign in to follow this  
High_Admiral

Texas Midwestern Lines Experimental Prototype Class J-1

After encouragement by @zephyr1934, I've also decided to share some pictures for my possible entry into the Brick Train Awards.

She's Finished

Lego TMW J1 WIP

Lego TMW J1 WIPLego TMW J1 WIP

This has been one of my longest running projects, with initial designing of this engine in its original form dating back ten years. Originally meant to be wearing the Southern Pacific crest on its(currently non-existent) tender, I have since replaced it with the Texas Midwestern Railroad, which is my fictional version of the Southern Pacific(plus a few other lines). This current model is based on the Blender model I made to bring the design from flamboyant fever dream into something plausible, even if a bit impractical.

TMW 1111

The Blender model took me 8 months to create in its entirety, and it is actually available to view and drive in Minecraft as a part of the SPSF add-on resource pack for the Immersive Railroading mod.

TMW 1111 in Minecraft

As for the Lego version, so far its taken me about two-three weeks to get this far, working on it when I have time between college classes and work. It is designed primarily for display purposes, but that doesn't mean I didn't fully expect to leave it like that. Custom parts include roller bearing wheelsets, #13(XXL) Drivers(will be putting BoxPok under her), #7(M) sized wheels, all the valve gear, connecting rods, and main rods. Under its boiler jacketing, sits four PF XL motors, two PF battery boxes, and space for an sBrick controller. Also built in to the smokebox is a little space for a smoke generator if I decide to go for it and install one. Might not have enough space there so here's hoping on that front. Also planned is lights for the classification lamps and the headlight/mars light combo up front. I won't be able to flesh her out in real bricks for the contest, but I do intend to eventually get her built. 

Lego TMW J1 WIP

Features a decently detailed cab interior(also thinking of running lights for lighting this up as well as the firebox and underskirt lighting) also based on the Blender model.

TMW 1111 in Minecraft

The engine's basis in real life is decently obvious. I've long been a fan of Lima Locomotive Works and the Southern Pacific GS-4/GS-5 classes. So I took the general aesthetics of the Golden States and meshed them together with the rugged reliability of the Union Pacific 4000 class(Thanks to the UP Steam Team for documenting 4014's restoration so well. Got much of my references for general internals and external piping from their videos and pictures.) to come up with this 84" drivered monster. More pictures of the Blender model can be found on my Flickr page. (Found here:https://flic.kr/ps/3VBCta)

TMW 1111 Tender Rear

To finish off this post, a comparison shot between the old Lego model(3rd generation of this design)(rear) and the new one(5th Generation)(Front)

New VS Old

As much as I really want to use the new Knuckles from BMR on the front of the engine, I've found that its not possible to do so with how I've attached the current magnet. Or at least not possible with the Studio files. I can definitely say they will be appearing on the rear of the tender however.

EDIT 2/11/2021: Finished the Engine, added picture of tender rear and the full completed engine to post. 

Edited by High_Admiral

Actually what you've built is a modified version of a Southern Pacific AC-9  (Articulated Consolidation- class 9).  If you want to stick with the SP theme it would be designated as an AC-13.   

2 hours ago, Karle said:

Actually what you've built is a modified version of a Southern Pacific AC-9  (Articulated Consolidation- class 9).  If you want to stick with the SP theme it would be designated as an AC-13.   

Not quite. As this is a prototype for a fictional railroad, the class is able to differ. However, the Texas Midwestern already has a Class AC-13, as well as a class AC-14 and AC-15. In addition to the fact that this is far bigger than the AC-9 in just total wheelbase and arrangement. 

Looking really nice! Would it be difficult to also render the loco in red and orange? It would be neat to see the design in daylight colors too.

10 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Looking really nice! Would it be difficult to also render the loco in red and orange? It would be neat to see the design in daylight colors too.

You mean the Blender model or the Lego one? Because....

TMW 1111 Daylight

(Please note that this rendering was done before I actually finalized the texture before initial release to Immersive Railroading, I can assure you that the Daylight logo had its position corrected)

It may be possible to do the Lego one in orange and red, but not entirely sure due to the construction of the boiler if I could get the front curve of the red striping

Edited by High_Admiral

I meant the lego one, but I was thinking that you used the same paint layout just in different colors, which would have made a repaint easy. I didn't realize that you did away with the red stripe, so never mind about that.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I meant the lego one, but I was thinking that you used the same paint layout just in different colors, which would have made a repaint easy. I didn't realize that you did away with the red stripe, so never mind about that.

Ahh, I’ll see about getting the lego one done up in Daylight tonight. I think I’ll be able to do it actually, just a few parts changes on the forward part of the boiler to make it totally possible

5 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

The daylight collors looks really nice.

I think so too. I’m considering making additional section for the model so I can quickly swap out the two schemes without totally rebuilding the engine each time. Might be worth it later on. 

Update, Feb. 11, 2021: She's finished. Pictures added to original post. She's just over 55 inches long from pilot to rear coupler and tips the scales at 7.5 pounds. There are a few parts missing because either Studio wasn't cooperating with me on them or the parts don't have a LDraw file to add in. Special thanks to all the Lego Train Enthusiasts who over the years have turned this from a toy to a hobby scale, and to those who currently forge ahead with providing parts and services to further the development of Lego Trains. Couldn't have made the loco look this good with out all y'all's inspiration and creativity to drive me forward. 

J1 Lighting Test Render

Got around to dealing with the tender handrails and experimented with Studio's render engine to get a test render of lighting done. Marker lights, both the headlight and Mars light, firebox glow from under the skirts and in the cab are what's been decided on lighting-wise. May add yellow cab lighting that turns on when the engine is stopped as well as the tender rear reversing light.

Bumping a year later to show off the modifications I've made in preparation for construction. 

52086304995_b6209aeeec_c.jpg

Found some #13(XXL) BoxPok driver parts over at HABricks and redid the skirts. Over all, I'm quite satisfied with her as of now, just need to actually buy the bricks! 

52090148153_0375533e00_c.jpg

Also, inspired by @zephyr1934's San Joaquin, I figured I'd give the lady another chance in the scheme. Technically, I can make this work with real bricks, with a bit of testing and elbow grease. Anyways, hope you enjoyed the update. Until next time!

Impressive machine - I personally like more the darker paint scheme instead of the "Daylight" one - it seems to me more suitable to its length and overall dimension. :wub:

Have you already thought about where the motors will be (in the tender or moving the big drivers)? 

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice work! :thumbup:

Ciao!!!

Davide

15 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Impressive machine - I personally like more the darker paint scheme instead of the "Daylight" one - it seems to me more suitable to its length and overall dimension. :wub:

Have you already thought about where the motors will be (in the tender or moving the big drivers)? 

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice work! :thumbup:

Ciao!!!

Davide

Thank you for the kind words. I too prefer the more muted scheme. Just the large similarities to the SP GS classes lent well to splashing the orange and red across the length of the engine. To your question of motorization, I’ve built in four PF XL motors into the boiler to drive the drivers. Due to the XXL drivers, she probably won’t be able to run on regular R40s, but she should be able to negotiate larger radii curves. I initially built the loco to be a display piece since her size limits the room I’ll have to run her, but there’s no sense in not having her be able to if I so desire.