ExeSandbox

[MOC] Autumn Winery

It's been a while since I've done these kind of semi-diorama models, and thankfully I haven't lost all my touch. Despite "Winery" being in the name, I designed it to look more like a house and it functions as one for the most part as well, but I can assure you that this model is positively alcoholic!! :drool::drool::drool:....just like myself ......(I'm kidding, alcohol tastes weird...)

50903338837_faf2c42c27_b.jpg

This model is designed to look like a sort of diorama built and glued on top of a round piece of light wood. But to be honest, I can't really tell if it's giving off that look. :sceptic:

50903338777_affcfccafe_b.jpg

The build for the trees were inspired from Brother Steven's trees, but I altered some things to make the construction legal. Aside from the trees, there aren't much details on the back, other than some dried leaves and stone paths on the ground. Just wanted to keep things simple. (or maybe that's just an excuse for being lazy to add more stuff.)

50902512253_94e07d0966_b.jpg

The only alcoholic part of the model. Which probably puts the alcohol content at 10%.:drool::drool: (Mmmmmm... LEGO would not approve..) The increased base height allowed for a cellar to be implemented, but the walls still had to jut a couple of bricks above the ground and even then the wine racks still stick out by a plate high, which posed a challenge when building the floor above as it could have made the house too tall (which would look really weird)

50903218391_45bdd01a2d_b.jpg

50903218451_af85d12343_b.jpg

50903218056_8849507481_b.jpg

I always have the habit of just focusing on the exterior part and then shoehorning the interior at the last part, and that's exactly what I did here. It's probably dumb luck that the interior managed to turn out pretty nice, because I wasn't trying that hard (like going through 10 iterations, I only did 1). The raised kitchen floor was also another accidental idea which happens to work really well. 

50902510948_97c9cd724f_b.jpg

The effects of shoehorning an interior to accommodate the exterior design can really be seen in this floor. The interior turned out alright, but the look of "there isn't enough of space, and I'm just trying to cramp furniture inside" is clearly evident. Although I do think the exposed wooden beams look kinda cool even if it feels a little stuffier.

Welp that's about it. As a bit of an additional note, the model contains about 5,949 pieces and measures 60x60 studs. Only bricks in available colors were used, so it's buildable in real life if you have the parts (and instructions...) Even if it takes a bit more effort, it does feel sort of refreshing to have only used existing part colors when designing digitally.

Link to Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/exesandbox/albums/72157718139635096

Gorgeous! The balance of color is perfection. The cellar is especially cool given how uncommon they are in builds. So many nicely constructed details. The use of the stairs for the sloped roof support is awesome. I think we should hang out in the cellar, interesting stuff down there. The rest is undoubtedly beautiful and a joy to look at but the cellar, that seems like where its at. :pir-huzzah2: Fantastic MOC!

That's incredible, teh detail in teh cellar and the furniture especially is exquisite. I agree the use of the staircase pieces in the roof is genius. The overall level of detail throughout the model is what is so fabulous. The trees, and those grapevines, are incredible. The use of teh ice cream parts is really well conceived, and the windows in the roof are great. I disagree that the interior of the upper floor is cramped, you've captured a high level of detail and integrated everything very well, it looks great.

This is one of the nicest things I have ever seen built out of LEGO, truly stunning.

If you are ever in the Finger Lakes of New York State in the USA, this would fit into the wineries there. There are thousands and they are all farm houses and have a lovely feel.

Man, I love these yellow trees quite a lot, for some reason they look more real to me than green ones. Good job on the MOC!

On 2/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, Karalora said:

This is lovely! Reminds me of the family-owned vineyards up in Napa Valley.

Thank you! I used a few reference images of Napa Valley vineyards, so I guess there were a few semblances. :laugh:

On 2/4/2021 at 1:26 AM, koalayummies said:

Gorgeous! The balance of color is perfection. The cellar is especially cool given how uncommon they are in builds. So many nicely constructed details. The use of the stairs for the sloped roof support is awesome. I think we should hang out in the cellar, interesting stuff down there. The rest is undoubtedly beautiful and a joy to look at but the cellar, that seems like where its at. :pir-huzzah2: Fantastic MOC!

Thank you so much! I wasn't sure how the colors would turn out as I just had the model be colored in gray when designing, so I was glad it worked. I was originally just going to copy this technique for the roof, but then decided I should have something more sophisticated instead, but kept the stairs. Your right, we should hang out in the cellar just to step on grapes and totally not to  c o n s u m e  what's inside of those barrels. :laugh_hard:

On 2/4/2021 at 6:11 AM, Stuartn said:

That's incredible, teh detail in teh cellar and the furniture especially is exquisite. I agree the use of the staircase pieces in the roof is genius. The overall level of detail throughout the model is what is so fabulous. The trees, and those grapevines, are incredible. The use of teh ice cream parts is really well conceived, and the windows in the roof are great. I disagree that the interior of the upper floor is cramped, you've captured a high level of detail and integrated everything very well, it looks great.

Thank you very much! I was thinking that I may not have included enough of details, but I guess I can be eased from that thought. :sweet: I actually got inspiration for the ice cream part from 41379 LEGO Friends Heartlake Restaurant (which I personally think is one of the best LEGO Friends set!) I suppose the cramped upper floor interior might just be me then. :laugh:

16 hours ago, jalemac34 said:

So beautifull, the mix of colors is perfect, great job!

Thanks a lot! Really glad you thought so about the colors! :grin:

6 hours ago, Maple said:

This is one of the nicest things I have ever seen built out of LEGO, truly stunning.

If you are ever in the Finger Lakes of New York State in the USA, this would fit into the wineries there. There are thousands and they are all farm houses and have a lovely feel.

Thank you, it means a lot! Nice, it's always great to find out more winery spots I haven't heard of. Those at Finger Lakes looks really beautiful! It would be cool to actually be inside one of those photographs one day. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Man, I love these yellow trees quite a lot, for some reason they look more real to me than green ones. Good job on the MOC!

Thank you! :sweet: LEGO's selection of warm colors feels a lot more versatile than their green ones, which is why I picked an autumn setting for this one.

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Great build! Really nice interior details!

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it!

This looks really great. The colours work really well and the trees are very effective. The interior really steals the show though. I really like the dining table and that's a neat technique using the upside down ladder pieces for the chair backs. Also the cabinet next to the table with the stacks plates and ornaments looks very good.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:00 PM, ExeSandbox said:

I used a few reference images of Napa Valley vineyards

This creation is really well-designed and stands out, ExeSandbox. I want to add that I'm from Oregon and when I first looked at this creation, I felt totally at home. It looks like a place where I would want to be. I don't know if there's a proper architectural word for it, but I feel that the design of the house really captures a certain American style of domestic architecture perfectly.

I also think the work you did on the lighting and rendering is really special and adds a lot to the good feelings I get when looking at it.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, ExeSandbox said:

Aside from the trees, there aren't much details on the back, other than some dried leaves and stone paths on the ground. Just wanted to keep things simple.

The plain back yard is good! Looking at the back, I especially appreciate the windows at ground level---that's a very authentic detail. One thing I'm not sure I like is the fact that the tree roots are all oriented the exact same way. Kind of breaks the realism in my opinion.

Simply perfect! :wub_drool:

The vineyard and the interior for the wine making with the barrels and the cellar is my favorite part! :pir-huzzah2:

I like the use of fall colors (which are correct for the harvest) and the fallen leaves on the roof :thumbup:

Really good mix of colours, they combine really well, I especially like the roof and the circular window on the side. Nice job! :thumbup:

Incredible. I love the little details. The upstairs and the roofing is brilliant. The exterior looks amazing. The colors work really well together. Even the trees (as blocky as they are) look great because of the leaf angles. What did you change to make them legal?

I want to follow this so I can look back at it from time to time, but the search drop down is blocking it so I Can't. I will have to just remember the title.

Keep up the great work!

On 2/6/2021 at 3:25 AM, caiman0637 said:

Amazing level of detail!

Thank you! :sweet:

On 2/6/2021 at 3:41 AM, Bricked1980 said:

This looks really great. The colours work really well and the trees are very effective. The interior really steals the show though. I really like the dining table and that's a neat technique using the upside down ladder pieces for the chair backs. Also the cabinet next to the table with the stacks plates and ornaments looks very good.

Thank you very much! The build for the chairs and stacked plates seems to be what I always fall back to when I can't think of anything new. They just work pretty well. :laugh:

On 2/7/2021 at 6:41 AM, Man with beard said:

This creation is really well-designed and stands out, ExeSandbox. I want to add that I'm from Oregon and when I first looked at this creation, I felt totally at home. It looks like a place where I would want to be. I don't know if there's a proper architectural word for it, but I feel that the design of the house really captures a certain American style of domestic architecture perfectly.

I also think the work you did on the lighting and rendering is really special and adds a lot to the good feelings I get when looking at it.

The plain back yard is good! Looking at the back, I especially appreciate the windows at ground level---that's a very authentic detail. One thing I'm not sure I like is the fact that the tree roots are all oriented the exact same way. Kind of breaks the realism in my opinion.

Thank you! Really glad to hear you felt that way when looking at the model. :laugh: Here's the reference image I relied on when building the house, which I believe is from New England, which I suppose explains that vibe. 

tumblr_pewl4aTgXy1r1si11o1_r1_500.jpg

Thanks as well, even after doing it for a long time, rendering is especially challenging because every model is unique and different approaches are needed to bring out the best parts of the model. I still stumble a lot when it comes to that. :grin:

(Oh no, did not realize all the tree roots were oriented the same way! Hehe, my bad, I got caught up in all the other details and missed such an obvious detail. But thanks for pointing it out.)

On 2/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Simply perfect! :wub_drool:

The vineyard and the interior for the wine making with the barrels and the cellar is my favorite part! :pir-huzzah2:

I like the use of fall colors (which are correct for the harvest) and the fallen leaves on the roof :thumbup:

Thanks!! :excited:

Oh, I didn't know grapes are harvested for wine during fall. That was pretty lucky, I just thought it looked good in those colors. Gosh, I gotta do more research next time...

On 2/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Absolutely fine up to the tinest detail.

Thank you, I appreciate it! :sweet:

On 2/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, snaillad said:

Really good mix of colours, they combine really well, I especially like the roof and the circular window on the side. Nice job! :thumbup:

Thank a lot! Really glad you liked it! :laugh:

On 2/9/2021 at 1:24 AM, TheLegoDr said:

Incredible. I love the little details. The upstairs and the roofing is brilliant. The exterior looks amazing. The colors work really well together. Even the trees (as blocky as they are) look great because of the leaf angles. What did you change to make them legal?

I want to follow this so I can look back at it from time to time, but the search drop down is blocking it so I Can't. I will have to just remember the title.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you! Nice to know the roof is well liked as I almost went with using regular sloped bricks instead, which I'm glad I didn't. I'm not really good at roofs and angles but lots of trial and error made it work in the end. :thumbup: For the trees, in Brother Steven's version, the leaves are hanging loosely on the 3-stalk element, which creates a very organic look, but it was incredibly difficult to recreate digitally, so what I did was to sandwich a flower element in between some leaves and attach them to the 3-stalk element. A simple solution, but it does look a bit less natural as the angles are now fixed in place. 

Yeah, the search drop down is in a weird position. :laugh: Well I guess it's a good thing I use simple names for my models.