Sign in to follow this  
Barduck

Virginian 2-8-8-8-4 Triplex (Version 3) WIP

Well, the cat is out of the bag as they say. Now that I've enter the renders of the WIP in to the Brick Train Awards I might as well start the topic here too. I'll try to post updates whenever I can as I enroll in this endeavor. So... Another Virginian Triplex or XA as it was called.... This is al ready my 3th version of this train. (Topics on V1 and V2 can be found here and here). I like my previous version a lot and to have it go up in flames in 2020 when our house burned down made me want to rebuild her. But when I started looking at the plans I made I thought to myself, why not improve her? Why not add more details? So I virtually tore her apart and started on a redesign. Now, she's ready for the future as she'll have the new PU system to power her. Let's hope it's a bright future.

Now for the renders:

50901972768_1fa348637f_c.jpg

50901972803_fb00dc59fd_c.jpg

50902682216_94acd7defe_c.jpg

50901972863_f0df89f6ae_c.jpg

50902799682_d364d522a9_c.jpg

50902799742_59d2966b0a_c.jpg

Edited by Barduck
typo

Very Impressive, Some steep competition in the BTAs this year in Steam. I've been thinking about entering my own Articulated myself, but I can tell that it won't even touch your level of awesomeness. Good luck this year!

That is a massive amazing build. That is a crazy amount of detail (bending all of those virtual pipes must have taken hours). Great renders BTW, I hope to some day see it in real brick.

8 hours ago, High_Admiral said:

I've been thinking about entering my own Articulated myself, but I can tell that it won't even touch your level of awesomeness.

Without wandering too far off topic, do it! And then post a new thread about it. These submissions are inspirational.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That is a massive amazing build. That is a crazy amount of detail (bending all of those virtual pipes must have taken hours). Great renders BTW, I hope to some day see it in real brick.

Not hours, more like weeks. There was always a problem. Some clip was in the way, or it didn’t bend how I wanted it, or it didn’t look ok. There were moments I was thinking;”what the hell did I get myself in too?”  But I persisted. I sure didn’t want to make the same mistake I did with the previous version. I didn’t plan out the tubing on that one and ended up having to relocate a whole bunch of clips. I did manage to “recycle” big parts of the previous version in MLCad, for example she’s got about the same nose (but with more details on it), cabin and upper bodywork. I did increase her length by 2 studs. Made the tender a bit sleeker. Added 2 seats in the cabin. And a whole bunch of other stuff that’s either underneath her bodywork or are small cosmetic changes. I’ve been working on her since September 2020, and now I’m finally in the stage where I can make the instructions for her and build her myself. Only other thing that needs to be done is send pictures of an O-scale version to Andy from OKBrickWorks to get the decals done

Edited by Barduck
Several typos

Building her, and while building redesigning again, so she'll actually be V4. She's now 3 studs shorter on the loco and 1 stud shorter on the tender. Roof of the cabin lowered by 1 plate, some cosmetic changes to the roof as well. Also changed some parts to make her a bit cheaper to build (had 6 1/2 bush in black in previous version but those things cost an arm and a leg). Corrected some errors as well as an issue with the coupler from BMR I ran in to, it the required me to set the bottom plate of the front deck a plate higher (the coupler not sitting level with the tiles next it, the difference is small but big enough for it to get stuck). Tested the valvegear and the custom made pieces for it (in this video: 

50985660001_92ba4a45a8_c.jpg

Applied the decals from OkBrickWorks. Still some parts missing that will need to be ordered. Almost ready to really show her and make the instructions

Edited by Barduck
typo