Bociephus

[R16 -Tatooine - CS] Find of the Day!

*Your entry has earned 16 XP*

"Utini!" 

Sot heard the call of his younger brother over the loud clanking of the sandtreader's tracks pounding the desert floor. He switched to a lower gear and decreased speed so he could see what the fuss was that Gul was making. Sot had tried to ignore any reason to stop driving, but Gul was adamant. Gul often said he saw things in the sand that usually turned out to be a pile of rocks. Perhaps that's why the clan let them go out alone with the sandtreader, Sot pondered to himself. Stopping the family sandcrawler wasn't easy and doing so twenty times a day just for rocks was enough to push the patience of the elders. So when Sot looked where Gul was pointing and saw a speeder hull lying on the ground, he had to get a closer look. After all, mirages were common when one was bored. 

But now Sot wasn't bored. 

The speeder was trashed, that was clear. Sands blown across the Jundland Wastes had filled the intakes, clogging filters used to carry air to the engine. No matter. There were a hundred filters back at the family sandcrawler Sot could replace them with. A find like this was a good find. The family would decide whether the speeder would be repaired (just enough to function, of course) and inevitably sold, or broken down for tradeable parts. Jawas were social creatures within their clans; anything that encouraged cooperation was seen as a blessing. 

Sot motioned for Gul to activate their droids to comb the sand. The droids would use their photoreceptors to pick up other pieces of metal scrap as Sot and Gul loaded the speeder onto the trailer. Yes, this was a good find. And although Sot didn't like spending the entire day trawling the empty desert with his brother Gul, he did feel less annoyed.

Later, as he fired up the sandtreader, he motioned for Gul to climb aboard into the cockpit. The wrecked speeder was Gul's find: the least he could do to show his appreciation was for Gul to not have to ride in the dusty trailer. And after all, they were brothers. 

SandtreaderSandtreader 4Sandtreader 2

Build Notes: The Jawa sandtreader is a halftrack featuring rear tank treads and forward sand-paddle wheels. The engine pieces behind the driver can be easily removed for quick repair access. The crane can be turned using the grey knob on the back of the vehicle. It can also be moved up and down. The trailer hosts a winch and pullable chain, which can wind up by rotating the dark brown lever. 

Edited by goatman461

Love the Jawa sandtreader - such a cool idea and executed really well! The wrecked speeder is also a nice design. Is that blue milk I spot as well? :grin:

Nice build, and story.

One improvement suggestion is layouting your story a little bit - makes it easier to read and a bit more engaging... Just a thought ;)

14 minutes ago, Darth Bjorn said:

Nice build, and story.

One improvement suggestion is layouting your story a little bit - makes it easier to read and a bit more engaging... Just a thought ;)

Thank you! Building this in a frame was an idea you suggested to me a month ago. Thank you for the inspiration! 

Glad you liked the story, what did you mean by layouting? Adding headlines or "..." kind of stuff?

3 hours ago, marvelBoy123 said:

Love the Jawa sandtreader - such a cool idea and executed really well! The wrecked speeder is also a nice design. Is that blue milk I spot as well? :grin:

Yep! Even Jawas get thirsty in the heat of twin suns. Thanks for your feedback!

8 minutes ago, Bociephus said:

what did you mean by layouting? Adding headlines or "..." kind of stuff?

The frame really works - makes the presentation feel more complete!

Yeah, headlines - use bold, and italic and stuff like that... ;)

Nice MOC.

Reminds me of the time where every star wars set had those officiel alternate builds. Especially the front tires. Your MOC could be the alternate build for the 2005 Sandcrawler.:laugh:

10 hours ago, Macropus said:

Nice MOC.

Reminds me of the time where every star wars set had those officiel alternate builds. Especially the front tires. Your MOC could be the alternate build for the 2005 Sandcrawler.:laugh:

Lol probably. I had to use tires because I couldn't find a matching set of the tires I wanted that were much more rugged-looking. So I had to settle with rubber tires and paddle rims to help move through the sand. 

It is a really nice MOC. My biggest recommendation is to use a simple backdrop. The view of your room is just a little bit distracting. And there are some many neat details here, it would be good to see them closer-up.