MegaRoi

[TC19] Saphyr S4R 1400cc (video added)

Hi there, it’s quite a while since I’ve been active here, but I was so incredibly busy that I almost missed this contest!

I needed some iterations to find out what I want to build and this is what I came up with:

TC19-001.jpeg

The build will have full suspension, something like a Deltabox frame, a simple gearbox shifted by a lever in the area of the foot peg and a Hand of God engine.

TC19-002.jpeg
The fork is only to find the general proportions and still WIP, same with the swing arm. I wante to have the chain inside the swing, that’s why the arm became so wide with the new wider Ducati tire.

TC19-003.jpeg

Another pic and a closer look at the engine:

TC19-004.jpeg

This is the engine I use. With a four cylinder in a row the motor builds quite wide ...

The engine will be rotated by the black gear. This is to improve the playability. Means you can grab the model and rotate the engine to see how the pistons run without pushing the model around.
The knob on the left side is the gear shifter. The gearbox has only one gear to connect or disconnect the rear wheel to the engine.

Again this will become a very tough race again, so stay tuned for more updates.
However, being part of a EB contest is always an honor to me!

Edited by MegaRoi
Changed titel

Fine!

A little friend to my entry :wink:

What kind of bodywork would you do? naked front end, windshild?

Curious to see how it will evolve next days.

S.

I like the Framework, but imho the "HOG engine" is a stupid idea :wink:. Your space in a bike is very limited, so why waste it for something like this instead of a workin gearbox?

Edited by Gray Gear

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

I like the Framework, but imho the "HOG engine" is a stupid idea :wink:. Your space in a bike is very limited, so why waste it for something like this instead of a workin gearbox?

I do not agree with that.

I think @MegaRoi 's idea is cool and add a real + to the playability.

Based on the last picture of the first post i would: (looking at the picture from left to right):

- keep the first axle with the 16T and tan 20T gera as it is;

- The second axle (between the first one and the one with the driving ring): remove the 12T gear on the left and place a 12Tbetween the two tan 20T gears;

- On the axle with the driving ring, replace the tan 20T by a Blue 20T worm gear, and try to implement the new driving ring, if not, the blue 20T won't mesh.

You'll get a functional 2 speed gearbox with neutral point, and, according to your basic idea, be able to see the difference of speed at the wheel between the two gears.

Keep it up!

S.

@steph77 I can see this HOG being an ok idea, but only if there is still a gearbox that works, so you can show the speed difference by turning the knob. That would make sense.

I like your deltabox frame, overal stance of the bike and the presence of clutch.
Keep up good work, HOG engine is original idea that I might adopt one day too. But to be honest, you definitely have space for at least 2 speed transmission. ;)

The swingarm is 8studs wide? ANd could you please show us the side view of the bike? (I would like to check the steering geometry, especially the front trail length ;) )

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

I do not agree with that.

I think @MegaRoi 's idea is cool and add a real + to the playability.

Based on the last picture of the first post i would: (looking at the picture from left to right):

- keep the first axle with the 16T and tan 20T gera as it is;

- The second axle (between the first one and the one with the driving ring): remove the 12T gear on the left and place a 12Tbetween the two tan 20T gears;

- On the axle with the driving ring, replace the tan 20T by a Blue 20T worm gear, and try to implement the new driving ring, if not, the blue 20T won't mesh.

You'll get a functional 2 speed gearbox with neutral point, and, according to your basic idea, be able to see the difference of speed at the wheel between the two gears.

Keep it up!

S.

A 2 speed gearbox would definitely fit, even a 4 speed could be possible. To keep it simple I tried to integrate a 2 speed with an idle gear. Somehow I couldn’t realize a working shifter including stepper. At least not at the position I wanted to have it. So I came back to this easier idea with only one and idle gear.

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Thanks for liking my framework :wink:

The idea behind my “stupid” function is in fact to increase playability on a bike. While a car is more for the looks, a bike is more behind its root function. And means bringing the engine power to the rear wheel! So my HOG engine is more show the working engine and you can engage the power train to the rear wheel.

At some point i simply realized that I’m to stupid to build a working 3 speed gearbox with shifter and stepper that fit to my engine concept, so I reduced it to 2 speed and a simple shifting mechanism.

Thanks @HorcikDesigns

I was very productive yesterday. Please excuse the poor picture quality.

Tc19-005.jpeg

As you can see, I changed the main color. In red are simply more parts available.

TC19-006.jpeg
I also recolored the motor and added some carburetors and exhaust simulating liftarms.

TC19-007.jpeg
The gas tank was more a placeholder because it looks a bit blocky, but I like the general shape. So I tried to fill the gas a bit and it turned out quite well I think.

TC19-008.jpeg

Beside the seat the swing arm found its final shape. There is the rear fender and some guard for the chain, I don’t know the name of it.

TC19-009.jpeg
Please excuse the really bad quality of this picture. I only wanted to show this side of the bike. Besides the rear brake disk is also the L lift arm as a brake caliper and its holding part.

Next step would be a proper front! I’m also not really satisfied with fork angle but I think it would be almost impossible to change. Maybe I will use the Olson shocks instead of the Ducati ones.

And the main question: will I be able to create some fairing or leave it naked?

I always vote for keeping a motorcycle naked, so that's the way I would go. But you'll need a little dressing up, as the moto looks front heavy. The engine looks huge and forward, so something to move the visual weight back would be good.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, johnnym said:

Looks like a beast of a machine! :thumbup: Looking forward to the next step.

Thank you! :blush:

On 2/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I always vote for keeping a motorcycle naked, so that's the way I would go.

Same with me. And you’re also right, a little dress could make a bike look even better. But sometimes bikes need a full fairing.

So I want to show my progress with a fairing:

TC19-011.jpeg

I’m still not sure if this will guide me to something ...

TC19-012.jpeg

What do you thing?

I'm not sold yet on the fairing... I liked the naked look with the wide, bulky gas tank A LOT, although (as mentioned by others) it is a bit heavy in the belly like that. Maybe keep the fairing in the bottom, but lighten up with the fairing on the sides. Right now they mess up the clean declining line of the LBG beams, I think that should be a primary characteristic to show of instead of hide...

On 2/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, Rudivdk said:

I'm not sold yet on the fairing... I liked the naked look with the wide, bulky gas tank A LOT, although (as mentioned by others) it is a bit heavy in the belly like that. Maybe keep the fairing in the bottom, but lighten up with the fairing on the sides. Right now they mess up the clean declining line of the LBG beams, I think that should be a primary characteristic to show of instead of hide...

Thank you for being interested in my model :wink:

I’m with you, I’m also not sold yet, but it’s the best solution I found so far. This beast is almost as wide as the TC18 entries - 11 studs with fairing and 13 without!

However, it’s the night before deadline and still a lot to do. Man, I’m soooo late this time, but please have a look by yourself:

TC19-015.jpeg

You can see my current stage for a front swing. It’s still WIP, but it works generally.

Still need a front fender, kick stand and more little details. We’ll see how far I can get tomorrow ...

Puh!

Bad news. I’m running out of time, so I will enter this contest with an unfinished build.

TC19-21.jpeg

You can see I made a step back to a traditional fork system instead of a swing. I tried a few things, but none satisfied me and time was running fast.

I’d call this build unfinished because I didn’t had the time to add more details. There is still no stand, no front fender, flashlights or mirrors and so on.

I’m still not satisfied with the current naked edition or my fairing versions.

However, I will try to finish this build after the contest while I think the base is good.

Good luck to all contestants!

Not at all! I'm glad you came back to the original look which looks great and which I like most. :thumbup: Your machine totally reminds me of a bike from GTA San Andreas - I think it greatly resembles either the BF-400 or the FCR-900.

EDIT:

Forgot about that: At first I wondered about that knob drive for your engine, but later understood why it's a really good idea: Because in reality it's also the engine that drives the wheels and not the wheels that drive the engine. And IIUC it still also works the other way round like in all existing LEGO TECHNIC motorbikes so a feature missing on a lot of motorbikes (LEGO sets, MOCs, mods, etc.).

Edited by johnnym
Forgot something.

@johnnym Thank you, I’m glad  you like it. The bike from GTA reminds me on a Honda. Full fairing ...

4 hours ago, johnnym said:

Forgot about that: At first I wondered about that knob drive for your engine, but later understood why it's a really good idea: Because in reality it's also the engine that drives the wheels and not the wheels that drive the engine. And IIUC it still also works the other way round like in all existing LEGO TECHNIC motorbikes so a feature missing on a lot of motorbikes (LEGO sets, MOCs, mods, etc.).

Thank you for making it clear again, at least for me. At first I tried to integrate a speed gearbox, but I was unable to find a proper place for the shifter. So I decided to go for a functional gearbox, which is working the opposite way. That gave me some headaches ...

By the way, I added this feature to all my Lego motorbikes.

Wow, that was close yesterday. However, I have an entry! Besides that I started rebuilding this thing. First, the color of the swing:

Tc19-31.jpeg

And the other side:

TC19-32.jpeg
The swing arm is 8 studs wide.

I will try to create a video until the next week.

Y dont see it unfinished, I love inline four naked bikes.

From all models in constest this is probably the most close to an street bike I have seen!!!

Wow, great video, adding the subparts of your bike when it is moving on the turntable looks just magical! How did you do that? Is that sequence made out of separately taken pictures?