Cjd223

"The Director" | Delta T-3c Shuttle (UCS Krennic's Shuttle) MOC by Cavegod

Updated May 4, 2021

I am thrilled to be sharing this MOC with everyone, it is a UCS Krennic's Shuttle. The original model is courtesy of @cavegod, it was a pleasure to work with Pete again. He sent me over the LDDs to get started on the instructions, and after going through the model and building a scenic display, I built the model and am over the moon with it.

It can be displayed both in "Flight Mode" (Wings folded down) as well as "Landed Mode" (Wings folded up). The transition between these two display styles is quite simple and easy to do with just a single person. The goal here was to give others who build the MOC the ability to choose their display style based on how much spare room they have.

Parts List and Instructions: https://alloutbrick.com/products/the-director

51158351323_8b5db3d0f1_k_d.jpg

51157450937_f99addb329_k_d.jpg

51158898479_5d8c309b5c_k_d.jpg

51157450762_3a9e9f9568_k_d.jpg

51158898824_474bcec11e_k_d.jpg

51157450202_71d796c4ab_k_d.jpg51159223530_0e37e9c625_k_d.jpg

51159565620_5aaec8cd8c_k_d.jpg

51157798282_a83e2fcdbf_k_d.jpg

51159566245_cd3f979f2f_k_d.jpg

51159222440_67108c10e5_k_d.jpg

51158350903_d647c768ed_k_d.jpg

Some stats about the MOC:

It is in fact minifig scale.

Part Count: 4,305 bricks with 7 minifigs. The minifigs are of course optional as collecting Krennic + 6 Death Troopers can be pricy.

Flight Mode:

Height: 35 in. / 88.9 cm

Width: 34 in. / 86.4 cm

Depth: 16.5 in. / 41.8 cm

Landed Mode:

Height: 26 in. / 66 cm

Width: 11.5 in. / 29.2 cm

Depth: 16.5 in. / 41.8 cm

Here are some photos of the MOC for everyone:

Edited by Cjd223

4 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

What a monster. What's that "drawer" on the base?

Due to the various shapes of the shuttle, when you go to fold the wings up for the landed display, it's necessary to remove a few tiles to get the angle right. The drawers hold those pieces for you so you can easily find them if you want to switch up the display style from time to time.

7 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Due to the various shapes of the shuttle, when you go to fold the wings up for the landed display, it's necessary to remove a few tiles to get the angle right. The drawers hold those pieces for you so you can easily find them if you want to switch up the display style from time to time.

Do you? Can't say i have to remove anything to fold the wings up?

14 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

7 hours ago, cavegod said:

Do we have a little "uh-oh" here? :laugh:

Is there any chance to see it side by side with Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle?

18 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Do we have a little "uh-oh" here? :laugh:

Is there any chance to see it side by side with Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle?

Yes

50904703241_15b538d801_b.jpg

On 2/2/2021 at 5:50 AM, cavegod said:

When I folded the wings up several tiles would either pop off or restrict the wings from being folded all of the way, so I found the best solution to be simply removing those tiles prior to folding up the wings. That section of the shuttle is hidden once the wings are folded up, so there's no visual difference.

This looks really nice. I have a couple of question:

1) Do you anticipate having any issues with the wings bending? I know some people have complained about this with the BrickVaul Tyderium.

2) How does it compare to the official set in terms of size?

44 minutes ago, Csaba said:

1) Do you anticipate having any issues with the wings bending? I know some people have complained about this with the BrickVaul Tyderium.

wings are holding up fine 6months later.

See picture above 

2 hours ago, Csaba said:

1) Like Cavegod said, I anticipate zero issues with the wings bending. The Brick Vault Tydirium has much larger wings than this model, and the connection style is much different.

2) It is pretty much exactly twice as large in every dimension. This model is minfig scale, the official set as it turns out is exactly one half of that. Once I get some more work done on finalizing the manual I'll be doing a photoshoot of the MOC and am going to be including side-by-sides to the official set as a part of that.

Edited by Cjd223

On 2/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, Cjd223 said:

1) Like Cavegod said, I anticipate zero issues with the wings bending. The Brick Vault Tydirium has much larger wings than this model, and the connection style is much different.

2) It is pretty much exactly twice as large in every dimension. This model is minfig scale, the official set as it turns out is exactly one half of that. Once I get some more work done on finalizing the manual I'll be doing a photoshoot of the MOC and am going to be including side-by-sides to the official set as a part of that.

Great. I look forward to seeing the photos.

Sorry, but those wings really look terrible.

Like the Shuttle were crying.

2 hours ago, Anio said:

what do you mean? Like, the light bluish grey patches? 

4 hours ago, Anio said:

Um, some constructive criticism would be appreciated if it contained specificity rather than simply stating you think they look terrible. 

Especially given how talented of a MOC builder/developer you are, not quite sure why you’d leave such a vague and snarky comment...

15 hours ago, AIex said:

the light bluish grey patches? 

Nothing to do with details. Details can be changed / modified easily, and so, they are not a problem.

13 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Um, some constructive criticism would be appreciated if it contained specificity rather than simply stating you think they look terrible. 

Especially given how talented of a MOC builder/developer you are, not quite sure why you’d leave such a vague and snarky comment...

As I said, the details are not a problem. The thing is deeper than that.

You probably completed that build a few weeks ago, and wings already start to bend. It can (and it will !) only go worth over time. Even official product with way less constraint tend to bend over time (10030, 75095, 10212, and probably a few others).

The thing here is that you have a huuuge shuttle, but the level of details and the finishes are not really better than the official product 75156.

For example, joins are very important on a UCS model. And the joins here are not better than what we can see on the official playset model.

210207010008959627.png

To make it short, you have a model that is twice bigger but you are are far from having twice more details. In other words, you had to deal with all the problems of a big build (complex build, bending parts), without taking advantage of it.

I think you should have go with a model that is "only" 50% bigger than 75156. This scale would have been more than enough to have all the details you need, and you would have strongly reduce all the problems related to structures (beyond some point, those can not be removed, this is why it is important not to make the model pointlessly big).

19 hours ago, Anio said:

You probably completed that build a few weeks ago, and wings already start to bend. It can (and it will !) only go worth over time. Even official product with way less constraint tend to bend over time (10030, 75095, 10212, and probably a few others).

The thing here is that you have a huuuge shuttle, but the level of details and the finishes are not really better than the official product 75156.

For example, joins are very important on a UCS model. And the joins here are not better than what we can see on the official playset model.

To make it short, you have a model that is twice bigger but you are are far from having twice more details. In other words, you had to deal with all the problems of a big build (complex build, bending parts), without taking advantage of it.

I think you should have go with a model that is "only" 50% bigger than 75156. This scale would have been more than enough to have all the details you need, and you would have strongly reduce all the problems related to structures (beyond some point, those can not be removed, this is why it is important not to make the model pointlessly big).

Great reply, thanks @Anio

I think the best way to describe the wing weight here is that yes, physics determines that over time the torque from the tips of the wings will cause bending of the wing shape, BUT it will be miniscule, if even noticeable at all (Cavegod's has been standing for 6 months and looks good as new).

I think a good comparison for this MOC is the UCS Shuttle 10212. With shuttles it's really tough to get every last detail while keeping things such as the wings proportionally accurate and stable, especially their thickness. @cavegod included a TON of detail in areas that are not as well pictured in the first post on the bottom and rear of the shuttle. The paneling nature of shuttles such as this one really prevents "additional detail" from being added since they are really just flat surfaces (The use of different tile shapes is really the key).

A quick note on the joins, in the original post the front panel was attached one stud in the wrong direction, after fixing this there is a really large difference seen at the joins between the front and side panels. As was the case with the details, I wasn't able to grab any shots of the bottom of the shuttle, but the transitions of the different angles on the bottom of the shuttle is absolutely stellar by Cavegod, there is zero gap. When I take some more photos of the MOC I'll be sure to grab some examples of it.

The scale I think needed to be this large because if it is only slightly bigger than the official set, that doesn't really bring much to the table. At minifigure scale it puts the size of the ship into perspective, and composed of 2,000 pieces (The base is the other 2,000+ pieces thanks to the grass), there's no wasted space here, every piece has a purpose.

Anyways, always helpful to hear some constructive feedback while a MOC is still being finalized.

Awesome! I can't wait to build this, and look forward to the release of the instructions.  Great work guys.

However, I prefer the more 'basic' Black Technic stand that Pete built.  By chance will the instructions include the build for this one instead of the elaborate 'drawer' version? :pir-sweet: It would also probably reduce the number of parts required :pir-huzzah1:.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, shiny_car said:

Awesome! I can't wait to build this, and look forward to the release of the instructions.  Great work guys.

However, I prefer the more 'basic' Black Technic stand that Pete built.  By chance will the instructions include the build for this one instead of the elaborate 'drawer' version? :pir-sweet: It would also probably reduce the number of parts required :pir-huzzah1:.

Same here.  I would much prefer the all black UCS style stand just for consistency with my other sets.  I have pre-ordered the instructions and cant wait to start collecting the parts for this.  

ideal solution would be

Parts list and instructions for ship

Parts list and instructions for Grass stand

Parts list and instructions for Black UCS style stand.

Out of interest, how much of the original playset parts can be used in this build? I can see the hinge pieces are the same but twice as many. 

49 minutes ago, LDigital said:

Out of interest, how much of the original playset parts can be used in this build? I can see the hinge pieces are the same but twice as many. 

The parts list is currently undergoing its final changes so I don't have the exact answer right now but will include that statistic once everything is all good to go within the next few weeks

2 hours ago, LDigital said:

I have pre-ordered the instructions and cant wait to start collecting the parts for this.  

I've been buying random Black Wedge Plates with my recent BrickLink orders, lol.

1 hour ago, Cjd223 said:

The parts list is currently undergoing its final changes so I don't have the exact answer right now but will include that statistic once everything is all good to go within the next few weeks

Thanks for the update. :pir-huzzah2: