Sign in to follow this  
TomSkippy

Arch Question

Couldn’t find anything on Google, Technique question: is there any way to attach bricks/plates to the inside of arch pieces? Specifically I’m wondering about the groove on the other side of this piece:

D85E3588-25E1-4475-8AA3-8F1DE789713E.png

It depends on the exact part number of the arch.  The older ones especially, yes, you can attach a stud into the grove under the arch.  Examples using various arch elements from various builders: 1, 2, 3, 4.  Some of the new molds for arches have thinned out the webs such that you can't get a stud to stick anymore.  There was some really good analysis of the differences in some of the blogs when the changes first came out.  I don't know if the web thinning has happened to every arch mold.  If I had any of that part number, I'd try it out and let you know, but I can't find any in my inventory!

On the one I tried, there was almost no clutch toward the top of the arch.  At the bottom of the arch, the interior wall makes the depth too shallow.  Right in the middle I could easily put a stud in and it stayed without issue. But you could not do 'all around the arch' techniques given by @mrcp6d.

It's an official TLG technique that goes all the way back to 1990 (6376) at least. But alas, many of the arches have been changed in design since then

Cheers,

Ole

12 hours ago, 1974 said:

It's an official TLG technique that goes all the way back to 1990 (6376) at least.

I did not know that!  Thanks for the info.

If you use inverted 1x2 curve tiles they work quite well. 
I used them as below for a Factions entry, adding a stud to the underside of arches is often a nice touch but as has been mentioned - it doesn't work for every arch piece and going from brick to brick the clutch can differ too:

In pursuit of Raiders