Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[OL-FB-Collab] Great Southern Bay Fortress

(The following is a collab between @KotZand I. Thanks KotZ)

The Lotii had begun constructing a large fort overlooking the Great Southern Bay in order to defend Jiangkai and support their colonial ambitions. When the Crown of Oleon offered protection to the decimated population of Jiangkai, work began immediately to complete the fortress. 

LargeCollabFort

As they say in Granoleon, nothing stimulates growth quite like defense spending. Over the last few months, nearly every able bodied man in Jiangkai and laborers from as far off as Fort Arltrees have worked extended shifts to secure the furthest outpost of the realm. 

LargeCollabFort_3

The steep bluffed peninsula is a position of natural strength, overlooking the town and dominating every approach to the settlement. 

LargeCollabFort10

The government sponsored employment has done well to bring the population into the embrace of the Kingdom of Light. In addition, now that construction is complete, large orders of supplies are being commissioned from the local population. Wagons come in daily to supply the garrison, further stimulating the local economy. 

LargeCollabFort_4

The imposing entrance is a steep uphill up the one possible approach from land, flanked by obstacles and under the constant watch of sentries. 

LargeCollabFort_7

Inside, the garrison is self sufficient. Supplies, magazines, barracks space, administrative quarters, are all housed within the walls of this large fortress. 

LargeCollabFort_9

Cannon crews practice drills and marksmanship daily, the booming guns announcing that the flag of Oleon is here to stay in the Great Southern Bay...

LargeCollabFort_6

just in case there was still any question on the matter...

LargeCollabFort_2

Edited by CapOnBOBS

This is so huge!  Really cool creation, I love the tilt on the walls and of course the sheer massiveness of it.

Super diorama with lots of details! I like the design of the fortress. The combination with straight walls in the middle part and angled walls in the corners makes it interesting.

It must've taken you ages to put together another build this massive! The scale of this is jaw-dropping. The angled walls are very interesting and are very smoothly integrated. I also like the addition of the sharpened stakes outside and the fact that there's even an interior included.

Enemies will think twice now, before trying to mess with Jiangkai.

Impressive build, good job guys. :thumbup:

I like the angled walls, as well as the island densely overgrown with tropical vegetation.

Well designed and detailed fort! Excellent job. The white and dark tan go together surprisingly well. Fantastic build!

Now that's a fort!  The white and dark tan look really nice over the grey of the rocks and the sloped wall technique works really well. Good work.

Good fort. Shame it's digital. Still very good eye for details while maintaining the look of a robuust fortress. One suggestion: the wall is only one stud thick? No match of the Sea Rat guns :jollyroger::pir_tong2:

35 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Good fort. Shame it's digital. Still very good eye for details while maintaining the look of a robuust fortress. One suggestion: the wall is only one stud thick? No match of the Sea Rat guns :jollyroger::pir_tong2:

Agreed - cool fort! Great job guys.

I was just discussing the single-stud-thick walls with some sappers and artillerymen and they pointed out these joints as good targets :pir-grin: Overlap overshmap

southern_bay.jpg

Hey gang, thanks for all the kind words. Funny thing is, even though you can get away with somethings digitally that you physically can't do in real life, the sloped walls were figured out over time in real life and was copied digitally. 3, 1x2x3 75 degree slope pieces can sit nicely flush. This took forever to build, when I ran out of gas, @KotZ came in on a full tank and brought it over the finish line. Super happy with the end product. To those challenging the thickness of the walls, "bring it!" As for it being digital, I'll follow up with the link to my kickstarter, If anybody wants to buy me the bricks, I will replace all the digital renderings with actual photos, I promise! Lots of little tweaks along the way, the color scheme being one that it sounds like folks agree worked. Another is, in my head it did end up looking "a little oriental." That originally wasn't on purpose, but I didn't fight it. It allowed for a little bit deeper backstory beyond, "Corry bad, Oleon good" (but also that)   

And now for some more critical feedback (assuming the design is open for discussion).

It looks a little "flat"...

The central structure (with the roof) would benefit from being taller as it barely rises above the ramparts.

A more grandiose structure would really set this off as a fortified stronghold. pir-triumph.png

image.png

5 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Hey gang, thanks for all the kind words. Funny thing is, even though you can get away with somethings digitally that you physically can't do in real life, the sloped walls were figured out over time in real life and was copied digitally. 3, 1x2x3 75 degree slope pieces can sit nicely flush. This took forever to build, when I ran out of gas, @KotZ came in on a full tank and brought it over the finish line. Super happy with the end product. To those challenging the thickness of the walls, "bring it!" As for it being digital, I'll follow up with the link to my kickstarter, If anybody wants to buy me the bricks, I will replace all the digital renderings with actual photos, I promise! Lots of little tweaks along the way, the color scheme being one that it sounds like folks agree worked. Another is, in my head it did end up looking "a little oriental." That originally wasn't on purpose, but I didn't fight it. It allowed for a little bit deeper backstory beyond, "Corry bad, Oleon good" (but also that)   

I agree, I've seen the sloped walls before in LDD (I feel like Bodi had done them at one point). I love the color scheme you chose, and it's a fitting continuation of the old classic Pirates white and yellow.

And yeah, that full tank of gas definitely helped me get threw my portions of the rocks I did. I swear I spent 5-10 hours on my two sides, and about half of it was trying to figure out stud.io!:pir_tong2: As for oriental, I think it leads in good to Mister Phes' comment...

40 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

And now for some more critical feedback (assuming the design is open for discussion).

It looks a little "flat"...

The central structure (with the roof) would benefit from being taller as it barely rises above the ramparts.

A more grandiose structure would really set this off as a fortified stronghold. pir-triumph.png

image.png

Just curious, how much taller would you suggest making the central structure? I don't think you're going for massive fantasy tower/castle vibe, but what would you suggest? !-3 bricks higher? More?

You are replaying my torment here, this is very funny. I am pleased to hear that all my anguish was not fruitless. I am really trying to make a star fort (vauban's artillery fortress" style). Those are flat, the whole purpose is for nothing to be exposed above the ramparts. The stars absorb or deflect and anything within line of sight/fire above would be pulverized. But... it looked flat and bare with either a big hole into the center or just flat plates all across the top. So I started adding the 3rd tier despite the vulnerability and that is when I realized I was making a pagoda. Which would be a poor choice in the age of cannon and not very Oleander of me. So... compromise, it is a storage space. I didn't fill it because even though the shape, size, small doors is right for a magazine, being the easiest thing to spot, hit, or lob mortars at is not good for a magazine. So storage. And just to be explicit that it is not a magazine, there is a pallette of gun powder barrels on the bottom floor in the center, hardest place to hit. These are the things that keep me awake. 

6 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Those are flat, the whole purpose is for nothing to be exposed above the ramparts. The stars absorb or deflect and anything within line of sight/fire above would be pulverized.

That's true. The top of a fortication like this one is quite bare, as you said, just some platforms with a series of ramps connecting them to the lower level. 

On 2/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, KotZ said:

Just curious, how much taller would you suggest making the central structure? I don't think you're going for massive fantasy tower/castle vibe, but what would you suggest? !-3 bricks higher? More?

Consistent height with the other two levels -  it looks like it's hiding up there!

Fine fine. That's how a fortress has to be done.

And - as I am building on some fortress walls myself - those things tend to get huge. And eat a lot of bricks (or time, if you're working digitally).

:thumbup: