Hi everyone

It's been a while since I've posted a MOC on Eurobricks, in fact this is my first new MOC for over a year and the first building I've designed for almost 2 years. Anyway this is my latest creation "The Village Post Office".

50884743237_99c843a979_c.jpg

The model represents a typical British Post Office from the early 1930's and also features a vintage mail van. At first glance it may look like a modular but it is not. The model features an open back design and the different levels can't be separated. The base is also much different in size and design to a standard modular building. In total the model contains 2262 pieces.

Here are some shots of the exterior...

50883919853_cb5aa6b7d4_c.jpg50884639466_67ac785e40_c.jpg

50884639221_f94ff6dc89_c.jpg50883918693_4f5b31de91_c.jpg

Notable features include an iconic red phone box, pillar box a bench and a tree. A series of steps at the side give the minifigs access to the first floor.

50884638056_8681c88471_c.jpg50884637871_2e994a6ec6_c.jpg

50884638676_7992f547b0_c.jpg50884741647_5b4c18b850_c.jpg

INTERIOR DETAILS

As mentioned earlier the building has an open back to give access to the interiors.

50884637711_8bbe402ba1_c.jpg

On the ground floor is the main Post Office itself. I've tried to give this a rustic, vintage appearance with wooden floorboards and wood panelled service desk. Details include a cash register, lable dispenser, a set of weighing scales and shelves behond the desk for sorting all the mail. Opposite the desk is a parcel wrapping station. The idea for this was stolen borrowed from the Elf Clubhouse set. :laugh:

50884637546_12481414cc_c.jpg  50883917498_886b0c948f_c.jpg

On the first floor above I've added an apartment which is home to the couple who run the Post Office. This is packed with everything they need including a bed, fireplace, kitchen and an antique gramophone.

50884739892_90b9166535_c.jpg  50883916503_afec3dc2b7_c.jpg

I didn't have space to include a toilet - but at least they have a bucket. :laugh:

50883916748_d0a1d9060f_c.jpg

VINTAGE MAIL VAN

The mail van is a traditional red style truck as would have been used in Britain during the early 1930's. It is 6 studs wide and features opening rear doors and a removeable roof. The emblems on the van and postman are bespoke prints I created for this model.

50884635681_d3046999f5_c.jpg50884738512_2b68433dcf_c.jpg

50884738862_f6d480f4cc_c.jpg

MINIFIGS AND OTHER DETAILS

The model contains 4 mnifigs, a postman, customer and the husband and wife who run the post office and live in the appartment above. I've also included a bike and several animals.

50883915303_36cdde1112_c.jpg

LEGO IDEAS

My reason for designing this with an open back and with a unique style base was to try and distance it as much as possible from the modular buildings and hopefully give it a better chance of success on LEGO IDEAS. My hope is that if this was lucky enough to reach 10K then LEGO would view it as a standalone building in a similar way to The Old Fishing Store, and not something that would conflict with the modular building series.

Anyway I hope you like the model. I had a lot of fun designing this one.. Feel free to let me know what you think. I'd also be massively grateful if anyone would be kind enough to support it on LEGO IDEAS as well.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/16ae1e95-cf30-41dd-ae23-36e07668df05

Thanks very much. :classic:

Great build, supported! I think you should also submit your modular post office on LEGO Ideas.

That is a brilliant MOC overall. I don't use ideas much, but I will definitely support your build. There is too much detail and great usage of parts throughout the build (the bench, the telephone booth, teh post office box, the roof, the sidewalk, the curtains), but I think the overall attention to detail is what is so fantastic.

Edited by Stuartn

That's a stunning MOC! :thumbup:

It has so many realistic and lovely details outside as well as inside plus has an open back which would make it go perfectly with City sets - I'd buy this as an Ideas set and therefore voted for it.

I really the design of this! Quite a different kind of building than an American post office. Just looking at it for a bit made me really want to visit the United Kingdom when it is safe to do so. Also, I'm impressed by your very reasonable piece count. I'm sure that was on your mind designing for Ideas.

Great build - and I'm saying that even though I usually dislike open-backed buildings ;). But it makes sense if you want to have a better chance at getting a set through the Ideas review stage. :)
Love all the small details and the color scheme is perfect.

Only thing I don't get is the inverted white tile on the facade of the upper floor - what's that supposed to represent?

I love this!  As an Englishman myself, I know these sorts of buildings exactly, and this is a very accurate representation.  Another awesome MOC!

Great to see another new MOC from you, the building feels cozy! I do really like the composition and color choices. (+1 for the circle stone pathway and the ski poles as fencing too.) Beautiful design overall. 

Odd choice for the kitchen utensils hanging way above the door though. :grin:

21 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Great build, supported! I think you should also submit your modular post office on LEGO Ideas.

Thanks vey much for supporting. :classic: I have the instructions for my other post office on Rebrickable so it would be against the LEGO IDEAS T&C's to put that one on there as well. Not to mention the fact it would be bigger than their maximum 3000 parts rule.

16 hours ago, Stuartn said:

That is a brilliant MOC overall. I don't use ideas much, but I will definitely support your build. There is too much detail and great usage of parts throughout the build (the bench, the telephone booth, teh post office box, the roof, the sidewalk, the curtains), but I think the overall attention to detail is what is so fantastic.

I'm glad you like it. Thanks a lot for your kind comments. :classic:

16 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

That's a stunning MOC! :thumbup:

It has so many realistic and lovely details outside as well as inside plus has an open back which would make it go perfectly with City sets - I'd buy this as an Ideas set and therefore voted for it.

Thanks a lot for voting. I really appreciate it. Yes I think it would go well with City buildings or the small Creator 3in1 shops/houses. Also when I first showed this to my brother his first reaction was "It kinda looks like a winter village set without any snow". :laugh:

14 hours ago, Man with beard said:

I really the design of this! Quite a different kind of building than an American post office. Just looking at it for a bit made me really want to visit the United Kingdom when it is safe to do so. Also, I'm impressed by your very reasonable piece count. I'm sure that was on your mind designing for Ideas.

Thanks very much. Yes I think British Post Office's have their own unique style and ones from the early 20th century have a real charm to them. Regarding the piece count - yes there were times during the build where I was worried it was never gonna fit within 3000 pieces. Especially with all the small bricks used for the plants and cobbled street. Luckily it came well within budget though.

13 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Very charming as always!

Thank you very much @peedeejay glad you like it. :classic:

11 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

Great build - and I'm saying that even though I usually dislike open-backed buildings ;). But it makes sense if you want to have a better chance at getting a set through the Ideas review stage. :)
Love all the small details and the color scheme is perfect.

Only thing I don't get is the inverted white tile on the facade of the upper floor - what's that supposed to represent?

Thanks very much. :classic: Not sure if it's common in other countries but in the UK lots of old shops and houses from this era were built with decorative engraved plaques on their front walls. Often with the name of the building or the year it was built. The white inverted tile on the front wall is supposed to represent one of these. A bit like this sort of thing...

Victorian Ad 1900 Date Sign Stock Image - Image of tiled, 20th: 48137451  Ipswich Historic Lettering: Rosehill houses

9 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I love this!  As an Englishman myself, I know these sorts of buildings exactly, and this is a very accurate representation.  Another awesome MOC!

Thanks very much. I'm glad you think it's a good representation. :classic:

7 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

Great to see another new MOC from you, the building feels cozy! I do really like the composition and color choices. (+1 for the circle stone pathway and the ski poles as fencing too.) Beautiful design overall. 

Odd choice for the kitchen utensils hanging way above the door though. :grin:

Thanks a lot. Glad you think it looks cozy, that's definitely the look I was going for. You're right though, in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have put those utensils above the door. If that meat cleaver falls things are gonna get messy. :head_back:

I realised I had a spelling mistake in my comment.

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

There is too much detail and great usage of parts throughout the build

I said 'too' much, rather than 'so' much, and it may have made my comment seem negative, which it wasn't intended to be. My apologies, and again it is a wonderful moc.

Such a lovely build.  Supported.  Hope it is made into a set.

In fact, I would love to see more of sets like this.  A Village collection

I saw this on Twitter and instantly RT'd (not to mention on-site supported)! Positively charming, and fingers crossed for it ^u^

Thanks very much to anyone from Eurobricks who's voted for the model on LEGO IDEAS. It's now passed 1000 votes in less than 4 days.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:45 PM, MaximB said:

Great moc! Excellent architecture, pleasant colors and an interior full of details.

Thanks a lot, glad you like it. :classic:

On 1/31/2021 at 2:49 AM, Stuartn said:

I realised I had a spelling mistake in my comment.

I said 'too' much, rather than 'so' much, and it may have made my comment seem negative, which it wasn't intended to be. My apologies, and again it is a wonderful moc.

No problem, I didn't think your original post was being negative. Thank s again. :classic:

On 1/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, MartyMcFly said:

Such a lovely build.  Supported.  Hope it is made into a set.

In fact, I would love to see more of sets like this.  A Village collection

Thanks very much for supporting it on LEGO IDEAS. There would certainly be a lot of options for a "Village Collection". A bakery, library, school are all possibilities which I think would work better as quaint village buildings rather than large city based modular buildings.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, toastergrl said:

I saw this on Twitter and instantly RT'd (not to mention on-site supported)! Positively charming, and fingers crossed for it ^u^

Thank you very much for voting. Also for retweeting my twitter post as well.

Also fingers crossed for your Sonic set on LEGO IDEAS, it can't be long now before they announce the results.

I love this model!

I am even considering to try and create a winter village version based on your design ideas.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:02 AM, wildly said:

I love this model!

I am even considering to try and create a winter village version based on your design ideas.

Thanks very much. Yes I reckon a Christmas alternative of the model would work well. :classic:

On 2/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, SATSOK said:

Great build, supported! :)

Thanks a lot for supporting. :classic:

Very charming! I'm a fan of open-back if you're going to show off the interior details, stops having those pesky structural considerations too with modular style removable floors! I wish you the best of luck. Don't wait another year to show us what you can build! :laugh:

4 hours ago, snaillad said:

I'm a fan of open-back if you're going to show off the interior details, stops having those pesky structural considerations too with modular style removable floors!

Agreed. I like seeing diverse solutions for interior access.

Dude, epic!

I supported you on IDEAS. Good luck! You're already to what, nearly 3k votes? High chance of making the 10k club and *gasp* hopefully this becomes a set! 

I know I'll definitely buy it if it does get voted in! :D

Fantastic MOC Bricked1980, as always. Your builds are always very cozy with a remarkable and creative use of parts abound. Excellent use of space and techniques. Also don't stay away so long, we notice when we're missing the well known builders! Awesome design and keep building!

On 2/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, snaillad said:

Very charming! I'm a fan of open-back if you're going to show off the interior details, stops having those pesky structural considerations too with modular style removable floors! I wish you the best of luck. Don't wait another year to show us what you can build! :laugh:

Thanks very much snaillad, I agree open back designs can work well to show off the interiors. My main reason for doing that was because I didn't want this to be associated with modular buildings. I'm hoping that might give it a better chance on LEGO IDEAS.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:50 PM, Man with beard said:

Agreed. I like seeing diverse solutions for interior access.

Thanks very much. :classic:

On 2/8/2021 at 1:01 AM, CMFanatic said:

Dude, epic!

I supported you on IDEAS. Good luck! You're already to what, nearly 3k votes? High chance of making the 10k club and *gasp* hopefully this becomes a set! 

I know I'll definitely buy it if it does get voted in! :D

Thanks a lot for supporting it. It's almost at 5000 votes now. I put it on exactly 2 weeks ago so I'm really pleased with how quickly it's gaining votes.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:15 AM, koalayummies said:

Fantastic MOC Bricked1980, as always. Your builds are always very cozy with a remarkable and creative use of parts abound. Excellent use of space and techniques. Also don't stay away so long, we notice when we're missing the well known builders! Awesome design and keep building!

Thanks very much. :classic: Glad you like it, and no I won't stay away so long in future. :grin:

19 hours ago, Sam Sinister said:

Satis.

Thanks. :classic: