Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

After one year I finished another MOC. Here I present my wheel loader inspired by Volvo wheel loader L120H with technic chassis and creator style body. The model is controlled by two Sbricks an powered by one small PF battery boy. The boom and the bucket are controlled with pneuamtic cylinders coupled to a geared servo motor with the newest pneumatic valves. Like this it is possible to control "heavy" loads precisely. Furthermore, the model has an auto compressor which is controlled via the BrickController2 app, where it is possible to add one port of the Sbrick (here the compressor) to two independent other functions (here the two servo motors with the valves). Like this the pump always switches on as soon as one of the pneumatic function is selected. But check the functionality in the following video:

Instruction is available on rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-64106/FT-creations/wheel-loader-inspired-by-volvo/#details

Edited by functionalTechnic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant MOC!

Functions are flawless. How did you manage, that the pneumatic work so well while lowering the boom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Functions are flawless. How did you manage, that the pneumatic work so well while lowering the boom?

Hi, thanks. I geared down the PF servo motor. With a linear joystick at the gampad controller it the valve can be steered in small steps. check here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not like the Sbrick but it is no doubt one of the best wheel loader working that I have ever seen, great machine with a realistic and smooth travel movement, very rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good job done with the pneumatics. Makes it look way more realistic then the motor-actuator driven buckets. Hope Lego will release some more pneumatic models to give us more parts for a better price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, functionalTechnic said:

Hi, thanks. I geared down the PF servo motor. With a linear joystick at the gampad controller it the valve can be steered in small steps. check here: 

 

One of the most realisticly operating MOC I have seen!

Using gears or the crankshaft to manipulate the air valve is just brilliant!

Cheers,

Nikos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it! At first I thought you were using those auto compressor thingies, where they have a separate, small auto compressor for each function (personally not a fan of those) but then I read your description and saw you did it much better, with one big compressor, which potentially has much better power and more realism. May I ask what compressor you are using? If I had to nitpick I'd say the compressor could perhaps be a bit bigger and the linkage for the bucket tilt could be tweaked to allow better mechanical advantage. Would also be nice to see the planetary reduction hubs from 42099 for that added touch. But besides that this is fantastic, authentic, powerful and looks like a lot of fun to play with, any critique I have is only to tweak what's already there. If this was a set it would be a day one purchase for me.

1 hour ago, NikosSprocket said:

One of the most realisticly operating MOC I have seen!

Using gears or the crankshaft to manipulate the air valve is just brilliant!

Cheers,

Nikos

Agreed. The advantage of the crank version over the geared version is that it has the effect of shrinking the valves dead zone (making the middle steps bigger) while giving slightly more fidelity to the valves working area (making the outer steps smaller), which translates to a slightly more linear response, as opposed to nothing.....nothing....nothing....fully open! It's only slight but small tweaks like that do add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it yesterday and must say beautiful loader. I just hope JCB Loadall is not disassembled...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great! I have the Volvo, and the part that's missing was for me the design. I think you captured it well, and the fact that you used pneumatics is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful job... as others have said and great functional fluency.  I also really enjoyed the video and the shoveling bricks into the dumper from multiple angles.  Lots of hard work.  Thanks for sharing!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

Thanks for all your nice words about my model. great you like my MOC. Happy about this.

22 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I do not like the Sbrick but it is no

What do you don't like about the Sbrick? Price? No we have PU but for this model PU elements are to big. Maybe it would work with the mindstroms 51515 hub. 

20 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

Really good job done with the pneumatics. Makes it look way more realistic then the motor-actuator driven buckets. Hope Lego will release some more pneumatic models to give us more parts for a better price

I love pneumatics but LA are better in many aspects. But here the LA hadn't fit in the front part. I'm also wating for more pneumatic LEGO Technic model. Everything is ready now, even for remote control pneumatic models

14 hours ago, NikosSprocket said:

Using gears or the crankshaft to manipulate the air valve is just brilliant!

thanks :)

12 hours ago, allanp said:

May I ask what compressor you are using? If I had to nitpick I'd say the compressor could perhaps be a bit bigger and the linkage for the bucket tilt could be tweaked to allow better mechanical advantage. Would also be nice to see the planetary reduction hubs from 42099 for that added touch

Check the picture:

https://bricksafe.com/files/FT-creations/wheel-loader-inspired-by-volvo/volvo L120H_V35_wires_hoses.png

Actually, the existing bucket linkage was not realy helpful. that was the hardest part the make it work. Somehow the bucket linkage of LEGO buckets are not made for compact builds. In my opinion there is no need for the new hubs. There is enough power coming from the PF XL motor. If you need more power you can still gear it to 3:1 in the hub. Now it is 1.66:1.

realy deep analysis of the crank version in the valve system. never tought about this advantage. 

11 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I saw it yesterday and must say beautiful loader. I just hope JCB Loadall is not disassembled...

I like the small JCB loader. Is still assembled :)

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I also really enjoyed the video and the shoveling bricks into the dumper from multiple angles.  Lots of hard work.  Thanks for sharing!

Shoveling arount bricks was the most fun part :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sbrick is not a real Lego part so it is not a Lego MOC, if I wanted to do the same wheel loader I would need more space for the receptors for example, but it is only my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon,

Glad to hear that JCB Loadall is still assembled; my is under way (just need to make space for legs in cab full of IR receivers). Next week should tires (80mm) arrive and I'll see how it looks with them, since 68.7 looks to me that it has not enough ground clearance...

Regards

Igor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 12:47 AM, jorgeopesi said:

Sbrick is not a real Lego part so it is not a Lego MOC, if I wanted to do the same wheel loader I would need more space for the receptors for example, but it is only my opinion.

Yes, if you are purist the it is not an option. As already mentioned befor it may works with the Mindstorms 51515 hub and the PU motors. Maybe I will transform it one day but I think the mindstorm hub is still rather expensive. 

On 1/30/2021 at 6:09 AM, I_Igor said:

Next week should tires (80mm) arrive and I'll see how it looks with them, since 68.7 looks to me that it has not enough ground clearance...

I saw your progress. It looks great. Waiting for the final result. 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, allanp said:

Thanks for posting the render, I can see now that the compressor is big enough.

You are wellcome and yes, more is not possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work man :) i seen it few days back and was amazed by it. funny that i am building something functionaly simmilar but with PU motors, glad to see that pneu can handle big showel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opinions aside, can I see closer pics of the linkage?, it is no doubt the best part for me and the most difficult part to do, I always wanted to build one using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 7:52 PM, mktechniccreations said:

funny that i am building something functionaly simmilar but with PU motors, glad to see that pneu can handle big showel 

So what are you building then? Also a Wheel loader?

23 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

can I see closer pics of the linkage?

Which linkage do you mean? Of the bucket?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 10:22 PM, functionalTechnic said:

So what are you building then? Also a Wheel loader?

Which linkage do you mean? Of the bucket?
 

Claas Torion, and same configuration of pneumatic cylinders. also mine placement of XL and pumps motors are the same, not intentional of course.

640x360.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, mktechniccreations said:
On 2/1/2021 at 10:22 PM, functionalTechnic said:

 

Claas Torion, and same configuration of pneumatic cylinders. also mine placement of XL and pumps motors are the same, not intentional of course.

Looks great. I'm looking forward to see your model completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.