Sign in to follow this  
durazno33

Lego 90 year set voting split and throughts

7 hours ago, MAB said:

It is not limitations caused by the pieces, it is lack of knowledge (probably through a lack of willingness to learn about the pieces). There are many MOCs based on Bionicle and CCBS that are not Bionicle characters.

See pictures above. Remove to not clutter page with repeat.

Those are some amazing builds for sure. But many people with the correct knowledge and skill can make awesome things out of anything such as this amazing dog statue. Does it mean Lego needs to produce Bionicle pieces for the specifically for the people who want to make sculptures out of Bionicle parts? Maybe... but they are a toy company first and an art company second or third.  

Artist Turns Scrap Metal Into Larger Than Life Outdoor Sculptures

21 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Okay! I've revised my post below.

I really enjoyed your revision. :)

5 minutes ago, durazno33 said:

Those are some amazing builds for sure. But many people with the correct knowledge and skill can make awesome things out of anything such as this amazing dog statue. Does it mean Lego needs to produce Bionicle pieces for the specifically for the people who want to make sculptures out of Bionicle parts? Maybe... but they are a toy company first and an art company second or third.  

I don't get it. Why do you imply those animals not toys, when things made out of system such as detailed MOCs or sets such as UCS Star Wars are toys? The point is Bionicle parts are real LEGO and just as valid as any piece from system. There are lots of system parts that are apparently single use but in the hands of the right builder can be used in other ways, just like some Bionicle parts. If some people just dismiss them as they cannot be bothered to learn how to use them does not make them any less real LEGO. If that was the case, we'd never had moved on from 2x2 and 2x4 bricks, some basic slopes and the odd window piece. 

50 minutes ago, Maple said:

By this logic I think it's Ice Planet's turn as it's been nearly 30 years and the theme took place in 2022. :) 

Forgot to reply to this.

Ice Planet is absolutely one of the best possible choices for Lego Space to bring back. The color scheme is beautiful. The old sets were awesomely designed and are looked back on favorably. Everyone who sees it loves it, even young people who didn't grow up with it. There's even an "Orange Transparent Chainsaw" meme. And, you know, all the fun of snow and ski mobiles and ice mining stuff.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I don't get it. Why do you imply those animals not toys, when things made out of system such as detailed MOCs or sets such as UCS Star Wars are toys? The point is Bionicle parts are real LEGO and just as valid as any piece from system. There are lots of system parts that are apparently single use but in the hands of the right builder can be used in other ways, just like some Bionicle parts. If some people just dismiss them as they cannot be bothered to learn how to use them does not make them any less real LEGO. If that was the case, we'd never had moved on from 2x2 and 2x4 bricks, some basic slopes and the odd window piece. 

Those animals are toys but they are closer to art than to a child's toy.  Many of the larger UCS Star Wars sets are geared toward creating an accurate replica of the original movie model and they do a great job at that. However, are they toys at that point? Would a child pick up the UCS super star destroyer and start playing with it?  No, it's too heavy since it was created as an model toy not so much a child's toy.  Does it mean, Lego shouldn't make creations like the UCS super star destroyer? Of course not so long as they think they can sell it to enough interested parties.  

Don't get me wrong, those piece you showed are amazing works of art.  But my point is that Lego system bricks are more widely used for toys, models, and art projects by children, AFOL's, and artists and therefore are a better representation of what 90 years of Lego is than the Bionicle sets and pieces. 

Edited by durazno33

34 minutes ago, danth said:

Forgot to reply to this.

Ice Planet is absolutely one of the best possible choices for Lego Space to bring back. The color scheme is beautiful. The old sets were awesomely designed and are looked back on favorably. Everyone who sees it loves it, even young people who didn't grow up with it. There's even an "Orange Transparent Chainsaw" meme. And, you know, all the fun of snow and ski mobiles and ice mining stuff.

But it's sadly not considered Classic Space, it is to me because of of my first sets was the small thing with the four long skis, I only have one left. But the colors are amazing. 

I think it would be a great pick as a free gift with purchase for the year it takes place in. No new molds needed, just a few trans orange pieces.

8 hours ago, durazno33 said:

Those animals are toys but they are closer to art than to a child's toy.  Many of the larger UCS Star Wars sets are geared toward creating an accurate replica of the original movie model and they do a great job at that. However, are they toys at that point? Would a child pick up the UCS super star destroyer and start playing with it?  No, it's too heavy since it was created as an model toy not so much a child's toy.  Does it mean, Lego shouldn't make creations like the UCS super star destroyer? Of course not so long as they think they can sell it to enough interested parties.  

This is hairsplitting. Regardless of a set's instructions it's still ultimately made of individual toy bricks.

8 hours ago, durazno33 said:

Don't get me wrong, those piece you showed are amazing works of art.  But my point is that Lego system bricks are more widely used for toys, models, and art projects by children, AFOL's, and artists and therefore are a better representation of what 90 years of Lego is than the Bionicle sets and pieces. 

What exactly are you basing this statement on? Do you have any statistics of evidence of any kind to back up what you're saying? Because if not you're just making a blanket statement, one that seems specifically aimed to discredit the Bionicle fan community as not being 'true fans' of LEGO.

It seems Lego saw their mistake and added Castle to the final vote.The interesting thing is combining the Castle theme and all the sub themes Castle has over 33489 votes which surpasses Bionicle which has 24799.Which means there is a good chance for Castle to win!

It's a tough one to call, because without parsing through the full results (which to my knowledge haven't been published anywhere, at least not in summarised form) we don't know how many people voted for multiple Castle themes or put other themes first. If every Castle voter picked three subthemes, you'd only have 10,000 unique voters. Equally, you could have 33,489 voters who all put it second. When it comes to the final push, who knows where the vote will fall.

But at the same time, there's no guarantee that every Bionicle voter put it first. Same for Space, same for Pirates. And there's sure to be some people who didn't get any of their three choices in the final. Their votes are an entirely unknown value.

42 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

It's a tough one to call, because without parsing through the full results (which to my knowledge haven't been published anywhere, at least not in summarised form) we don't know how many people voted for multiple Castle themes or put other themes first. If every Castle voter picked three subthemes, you'd only have 10,000 unique voters. Equally, you could have 33,489 voters who all put it second. When it comes to the final push, who knows where the vote will fall.

But at the same time, there's no guarantee that every Bionicle voter put it first. Same for Space, same for Pirates. And there's sure to be some people who didn't get any of their three choices in the final. Their votes are an entirely unknown value.

It is officially published by Lego ideas themselves.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/6c5a05b4-e29c-47ec-8841-a2bce1f8933e

They have all of the underlying data and confirms there are 33489 unique voters who cast either 1,2 or 3 votes for a castle sub-theme.

This is great news for castle fans and is an official acknowledgement from Lego themselves that they realise the popularity of castle! Hopefully this will lead to not just a 90th anniversary set, but a full revival wave of set. If that is what you want, definitely put that in the comments when you cast your final vote.

Goes to show this is a very popular theme among AFOLs, many of whom were probably still in their dark ages when the last wave of any medieval related theme exist, myself included.

15 minutes ago, chill9394 said:

It is officially published by Lego ideas themselves.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/6c5a05b4-e29c-47ec-8841-a2bce1f8933e

They have all of the underlying data and confirms there are 33489 unique voters who cast either 1,2 or 3 votes for a castle sub-theme.

Ah, my mistake. I interpreted the number to be the total vote for Castle subthemes. What I get for not reading the article properly! 

Good news for Castle. Yes! Let this be the time when we draw swords together.  :laugh:
Yesterday I was chatting with my dad and he couldnt send a picture in his phone, he finally did it correctly. But made me wonder that many of the core Castle guys are a bit older than the Bionicle guys, therefore could be a gap between the access to the site and voting on it. Dont know. just to add something that made me overthink a little bit about the votes and the union of the Castle themes when there is also a gap of years in the themes.

3 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I think a user in the thread over in General Discussion went through and picked out the minimum number of Castle voters (ie, the number of voters that had to put at least one Castle subtheme, regardless of whether or not they put more) when a blog shared the results in the middle of the poll.  I believe it was either enough to put it past Bionicle at the time or enough to firmly put it top 3.  

8 hours ago, Niku said:

Good news for Castle. Yes! Let this be the time when we draw swords together.  :laugh:
Yesterday I was chatting with my dad and he couldnt send a picture in his phone, he finally did it correctly. But made me wonder that many of the core Castle guys are a bit older than the Bionicle guys, therefore could be a gap between the access to the site and voting on it. Dont know. just to add something that made me overthink a little bit about the votes and the union of the Castle themes when there is also a gap of years in the themes.

Worse: if, like me, you were among the first lot of LEGO VIPs, you are excluded from any Ideas vote/participation including this one. It’s probable that the first cohort of VIPs are older and, as you say, more likely to vote for Castle (or CS or Pirates), not Bionicles, thereby introducing a bias in the latter’s favour. At the margin, that could make a difference.

5 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Worse: if, like me, you were among the first lot of LEGO VIPs, you are excluded from any Ideas vote/participation including this one. It’s probable that the first cohort of VIPs are older and, as you say, more likely to vote for Castle (or CS or Pirates), not Bionicles, thereby introducing a bias in the latter’s favour. At the margin, that could make a difference.

I was one of the first lots of VIPs, but don't have this problem.  Maybe it was because I didn't create an online profile until just a few years ago?  Did you create your VIP online account when you got your VIP card?

22 hours ago, Niku said:

As a younger Afol I grew up with the So-called Fantasy era ( I just called it castle, after all that's what the logo called it) and kingdoms. I also had Bonkles but Castle was always the favourite. There is a greater spread of age demographics in castle fans as the theme is so long lived. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people who voted for both bionicle and a castle theme and now have to choose. ( Though the only non castle theme I voted for was imperials).

10 hours ago, Grover said:

I was one of the first lots of VIPs, but don't have this problem.  Maybe it was because I didn't create an online profile until just a few years ago?  Did you create your VIP online account when you got your VIP card?

When I first became a VIP, there were no online accounts per se. You provided an email address if you wanted to but there were no online accounts as they are now. I created my online account as soon as that became possible. There may be differences between countries in the timing of the introduction of the VIP scheme and accounts.

LEGO is aware of the issue. It just doesn't care enough to do anything about it. I asked someone who knows more about the technical side of the problem than me and he said that it would probably only take someone at LEGO a few hours to put it right for everyone in my situation and would not mean VIP or Ideas being down for other people, only possibly for a short time for those like me. I wouldn't mind my VIP account being down for a few hours if it meant I could take part in Ideas votes. 

2 hours ago, AmperZand said:

When I first became a VIP, there were no online accounts per se. You provided an email address if you wanted to but there were no online accounts as they are now. I created my online account as soon as that became possible. There may be differences between countries in the timing of the introduction of the VIP scheme and accounts.

LEGO is aware of the issue. It just doesn't care enough to do anything about it. I asked someone who knows more about the technical side of the problem than me and he said that it would probably only take someone at LEGO a few hours to put it right for everyone in my situation and would not mean VIP or Ideas being down for other people, only possibly for a short time for those like me. I wouldn't mind my VIP account being down for a few hours if it meant I could take part in Ideas votes. 

I got my VIP account the same way, back in 2008 or 2009... it's been so long I can't even remember.  I signed up on paper in the store and never gave them my e-mail.  I finally did back in 2017 or 2018, which is when I signed up for the online VIP.  I'm wondering if waiting to sign up online avoided your problem?

On 2/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, AmperZand said:

Woah didnt knew of that issue, I hope that TLG can help you solve that.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:31 AM, Agent Kallus said:

As a younger Afol I grew up with the So-called Fantasy era ( I just called it castle, after all that's what the logo called it) and kingdoms. I also had Bonkles but Castle was always the favourite. There is a greater spread of age demographics in castle fans as the theme is so long lived. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people who voted for both bionicle and a castle theme and now have to choose. ( Though the only non castle theme I voted for was imperials).

I am like you, I had a few of the Fantasy Era (dont like much the skellies, other factions are cool) and Kingdoms was on my tack back into Lego.
Yes I wonder how the voting will go.

I would like this scenario, that TLG produces the winner set of course, and maybe the other 3 themes could make a mashup to a 3 in 1 Creator type set.
That would be my wish.