Hello Magnum, Ferrari and Speed Champions fans,

this targa topped 1984 Ferrari 308GTSi Quattrovalvole (pictures 1 and 6) was made famous by the television series Magnum, p.i. in which the series' lead, Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) drove the car around Oahu for eight seasons while on his investigations, from 1980 to 1988. Several 308 GTS cars were used, a new one for each season, most being auctioned off after filming and all with the license plate ROBIN 1. The berlinetta version of this model is called Ferrari 308GTB Quattrovalvole (pictures 2-5 and 7-8). The design inspiration of this model came from a Ferrari 308 Matchbox which I received as a child. Building instructions are available on the following links:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-64110/_TLG_/magnum-pi-ferrari-308-gts-gtb-quattrovalvole/#details

or

https://www.mocsmarket.com/lego-mocs/instructions-moc-magnum-p-i-ferrari-308-gts-gtb-quattrovalvole/

They are a studless builds in the new, 8 studs wide Speed Champions style. I wanted to create a sleek models which are as accurate as possible in this small scale. Only two stickers are used per model: the rectangular Ferrari logo, and the vehicle registration plate, to keep the flexibility of the used parts in further builds.

My intent was to keep the width-length-height ratio of the real car and this size makes it possible. The models contain lots of details: for example the emblematic air vents on the hood (black on GTS and red on GTB), the front bumper with the turn signal lights, the tilted front grill, the rear three quarter window with black cover, the turn signal lights on the front side, the black stripe on the sides, the side-view mirrors, the tiltable seats etc.. Maybe the most challenging one was the iconic rear side with the vehicle registration plate, here there is a half stud offset. I tried to fill every unecessary gaps and therefore some tricky build techniques are used.

The model has space for two minifigures. I suggest to use small hairs. Without the seats and the two interior tan tiles minifigures with bigger hairs can be used too if they are leaned back.

Thanks for visiting,
_TLG_

50883206458_566a8588e0_c.jpgMagnum's car 01 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50883927666_0a07a24c6c_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 02 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50884033397_27d641fde3_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 03 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50884033592_158bb541eb_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 04 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50884033317_4e4c8548a9_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 05 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50883927766_250362c5f2_c.jpgMagnum's car 06 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50883927366_06c4748880_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 07 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

50884033097_3be2730b8b_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB Q. 08 - INSTRUCTIONS by László Torma, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, this is a great picture of an unforgettable icon supercar! :wub_drool:

...and amazing minifig of Magnum P.I.! :laugh:

Thanks a lot! :)

The minifigure torso is custom made, the other body parts are standard ones. There are similar ones in some webshops :)

Both are awesome @_TLG_!  Though i do slightly prefer the GTS to the GTB, because Magnum. :grin:  

I really love the way you've done the wing mirrors too! :thumbup:

Edited by Dazzzy

25 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

Both are awesome @_TLG_!  Though i do slightly prefer the GTS to the GTB, because Magnum. :grin:  

I really love the way you've done the wing mirrors too! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! If I view only the cars without the Magnum minifigure, I prefer a bit the GTB version, but I loved to build each one :)

On 5/11/2021 at 3:26 AM, noahtheb said:

Wow that Ferrari is beautiful! My neighbor has a ferrari similar to that, I think it is a Ferrari 328 GTB. It looks pretty similar to your MOC.

Thanks a lot! It is very nice car and I tried to recreate it as accurate as possible :)

My earlier Speed Champions scaled Ferrari 308 was inspired by a Matchbox from my childhood too like my '57 Chevy :) However, earlier I have built the berlinetta version in full red color scheme. Now here is the Matchbox version with gray bottom part and a bit modified rear grill. I haven't made instructions for this version yet, but the instructions of the 308 GTB Quattrovalvole and Magnum's version are available on Rebrickable and on Mocsmarket on the above links.

51537669777_34c5179d54_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB - Matchbox edition 01 by László Torma, on Flickr

51538697748_9289bd97cb_c.jpgFerrari 308 GTB - Matchbox edition 02 by László Torma, on Flickr

On 10/2/2021 at 1:52 PM, TK4235 said:

A Tom Selleck mini figure would be awesome for the Ferrari 308 :) 

The upper body of the minifigure on my picture is a custom one, but similar one is available for example here: https://www.firestartoys.com/products/custom-design-torso---red-hawaiian-shirt.html  or complete Magnum minifigure:  https://www.firestartoys.com/products/custom-design-mini-figure---magnum-pi.html  :) (I don't know the shop, just found it on the internet.)