Sign in to follow this  
SearchFunction

2021 roads bridge connection idea, but not sure if practical?

Piece #18677 together with crossaxles and tubes could potentially be used for an easy bridge connection. I don't have any of the new parts, I was just fooling around in LDD. It does leave some studs, but its a quick fix. No need to make a connection in the bottom. Thoughts?

50882157093_65800f5111_b.jpgBridge idea by SearchFunction, on Flickr

That looks quite good.

Frankly, I don't care if there are some studs, it is better to sacrifice that than to not have a gentle and clean curve, which you've achieved. I like the use of the tube pieces to fill in the gaps.

Yeah that looks good! I agree with Stuartn, some exposed studs aren't a deal-breaker but if they are you could use the inverse piece and reinforce from the bottom but it might restrict the angles you can achieve. Still what you've got here is great.

Great idea SearchFunction. I expanded on it some with the suggestion koalayummies gave using the 11458 part and capping the axles with a cross axle extension, but with all of the piece in black to mimic expansion joints used on bridges.

New Road Plate Bridge.jpg

Edited by moparacker
Fixing the image as there's no "preview" feature.

I looked a bit closer at it again. Unfortunately I don't think the inverse piece will allow travel in the downwards direction when placed underneath.

But I realise that you really only need 4 connectors, not 8, so thats even less studs. The tube I used dosn't exist in DBG, but there are plenty of other options like moparacker mentions.

Yup, good call on the interference with the inverse piece. I spaced checking that on the build. :facepalm:

Moving the hinge assembly down one plate will leave an odd gap with the inverse piece. I had initially tried with the 18677 two plates lower, but that leaves an unsightly gap and slight height difference between the road surfaces. 

What a great idea! I've just tried it (I don't have many grey technic round things...): 

Ons0GEG.jpg

Only thing is, where the sloping road (?) meets the cross-walk/zebra stribes, you can't have the 18677, since its just a bit more than 2 plates 'high'. But using 48336 and 60470b and a few tiles, made it look good :)

21 hours ago, jpx said:

What a great idea! I've just tried it (I don't have many grey technic round things...): 

Ons0GEG.jpg

Only thing is, where the sloping road (?) meets the cross-walk/zebra stribes, you can't have the 18677, since its just a bit more than 2 plates 'high'. But using 48336 and 60470b and a few tiles, made it look good :)

Cool! You don't need to connect it at the bottom though. You can just slide it up to the edge. Hmm OR I guess it would have to be connected through the white plate sticking out running along the surface and connecting to the pillar.

It's a cool idea for the new road system, and the studs that are there doesn't spoil it as they're minimal really. :thumbup:

The inverted pieces work pretty well the other way, if you want to do a draw bridge/lifting bridge. (did this digital build for a contest a couple of years ago)

50888501722_902f36d472_c.jpg

@Dazzzy that is a beautiful bridge!

OP: here's another possible stud-less solution using 49307 in the gap, smooth for cars driving over it but it has a bit of a jagged look from the side:

50888699572_91a7dd97c3_z.jpg

I agree, that is one beautifull bridge Dazzzy. I havn't seen that part before koalayummies. That is also a nice solution.

I wonder if maybe technic beams could be used also? Hmm gonna do some experimenting!

I think I got it. However this is now a complicated 45 piece solution, so like the opposite of what I wanted :hmpf_bad:, but I'm sure It can be done simpler by someone smarter than me. The key piece is #45590 which is a technic rubber piece (?!) which due to its "8" shape will allow the roadplate to bend a lot more when used in an L shape construction to be mounted beneath the plates:

50889015841_2560542896_k.jpgBridge connection, 2nd try by SearchFunction, on Flickr

50888300193_65fac3c617_k.jpgBridge connection, 2nd try by SearchFunction, on Flickr