Kai NRG

Ye Olde Time Bakery Shoppe

What do you know, I built something medieval themed! :laugh:

50881507613_3ef6f6be6a_z.jpg

Actually, what I did was take a house out of a Brethren of the Brick Seas scene and give it another wall and it's own vignette.

CNH8RnAY5yem7Z6ytXhI9amgnxYR9k-metaWWUgT2xkZSBUaW1lIEJha2VyeSBTaG9wcGUgKDIpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_2873_2154.jpg

This was a really fun house to build, got to put some new plant pieces to use!

IbvFJVqR5JJjFIzb3q4HUMy2revzAw-metaWWUgT2xkZSBUaW1lIEJha2VyeSBTaG9wcGUgKDMpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1350_1012.jpg

It actually started with minifigure torsos being used as a seed part in the tudor here.

omcQZQjKcD7aUy5JQcdOnxJBuFushO-metaWWUgT2xkZSBUaW1lIEJha2VyeSBTaG9wcGUgKDQpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1500_1125.jpg

I have one yellowish baguette, not at all sure if it was originally that way or got yellowed with time.  Makes for some nice variety anyhow. :laugh:

8UOlPM6BvainCf7yiCdioxBTareTnO-metaWWUgT2xkZSBUaW1lIEJha2VyeSBTaG9wcGUgKDUpLkpQRw%3D%3D-___media_library_original_1350_1012.jpg

C&C welcome as always!  Thanks for viewing!  Hopefully it won't be another year before I finish the next GoH build...

The white and black look nice.  The windows are nicely designed.  The coblestone road looks good with the building.  I like the added color of the vine growing up the building.  

Nice use of the white torsos in the Tudor work!  The cobblestone work with a closely packed pattern looks great, and you did a good job making the vine feel organic.  The bread is showcased well on the racks, with the different colors, and I like how you used a lot of historic inspiration from merchant-in-dwelling and the overhang.  It's really tough, but getting more light on the vendor would help a bit.  I would also suggest putting the bird on the roof vertical rather than at an angle, since most birds remain vertical (creepers, woodpeckers, and nuthatches are exceptions and these tend to wind around the trunks), even if that means using a cheese slope and simply placing the bird on a tile.  I think it looks very good and has a great classic castle feel to it, but am curious why you chose black rather than reddish brown for the tudor?  Was it a parts consideration?  Dark brown would look great, but I know very few people who have that many parts in dark brown, and I don't know if all those pieces are made in dark brown.  In any case, it's a great creation, and I enjoy seeing some civilian medieval buildings!

In addition to what I commented on flickr (I did not recognize you), I do like the packed cobblestone as well as the window framing.  Let's go Kaliphlin!

Edited by jtooker

That's a great use of the minifig torso part. And the use of the hotdog bun as a sign seems simple - but so clever! I really enjoy the vines and the tiny vegetable patch on the side of the building. And also the guy giving breadcrumbs to the little bird...Such a nice detail!

Crisp build Kai.  Those torsos work really well to get some subtle angles into the the timber framing.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:38 PM, zoth33 said:

The white and black look nice.  The windows are nicely designed.  The coblestone road looks good with the building.  I like the added color of the vine growing up the building.  

Thanks zoth!  What a pain those windows were... they look simple but they went through several itinerations before I found something I actually liked!

On 1/27/2021 at 11:43 PM, Grover said:

Nice use of the white torsos in the Tudor work!  The cobblestone work with a closely packed pattern looks great, and you did a good job making the vine feel organic.  The bread is showcased well on the racks, with the different colors, and I like how you used a lot of historic inspiration from merchant-in-dwelling and the overhang.  It's really tough, but getting more light on the vendor would help a bit.  I would also suggest putting the bird on the roof vertical rather than at an angle, since most birds remain vertical (creepers, woodpeckers, and nuthatches are exceptions and these tend to wind around the trunks), even if that means using a cheese slope and simply placing the bird on a tile.  I think it looks very good and has a great classic castle feel to it, but am curious why you chose black rather than reddish brown for the tudor?  Was it a parts consideration?  Dark brown would look great, but I know very few people who have that many parts in dark brown, and I don't know if all those pieces are made in dark brown.  In any case, it's a great creation, and I enjoy seeing some civilian medieval buildings!

Thanks Grover!  When I first read your black vs. reddish brown question I did a complete double take, but looking at it, I see that it was the need for 1x2 cheese grater slopes that made me throw brown out the window. :laugh:  I tried to get the bird upright, 'twas a slippery slope... I even used sticky putty!  Yeah, good point about light on the vendor.  The top story back is open for that reason, but I didn't actually shine light down it so I don't think it helped too much.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, jtooker said:

In addition to what I commented on flickr (I did not recognize you), I do like the packed cobblestone as well as the window framing.  Let's go Kaliphlin!

Ah, I recently switched most of my accounts to a new GD logo, hopefully it'll become recognizable over time!  I was wondering why you were reminding me about the CCC. :tongue:  Thank you!

On 2/1/2021 at 7:03 AM, Aurore said:

That's a great use of the minifig torso part. And the use of the hotdog bun as a sign seems simple - but so clever! I really enjoy the vines and the tiny vegetable patch on the side of the building. And also the guy giving breadcrumbs to the little bird...Such a nice detail!

Thanks Aurore!  I also loved the way the bun looked as a sign. :grin:

10 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Crisp build Kai.  Those torsos work really well to get some subtle angles into the the timber framing.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, BlackGloveBricks said:

How adorable! I love shops and little builds like these! Great work!

Thank you!  Glad you enjoyed it. :grin:

I commented on this in the BoBs thread but it still looks fabulous in its own vignette. Great work!

1 hour ago, Count Vroskri said:

I commented on this in the BoBs thread but it still looks fabulous in its own vignette. Great work!

Thanks Count!  Had to build another wall for it. :laugh:

I'm a big fan of this. The hinged roofs get exactly the right shape - and more than that, the whole thing feels right at home in any medieval city. Nice and compact, and well populated with minifigures.

23 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

This looks great!

21 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm a big fan of this. The hinged roofs get exactly the right shape - and more than that, the whole thing feels right at home in any medieval city. Nice and compact, and well populated with minifigures.

Thank you both! :sweet:

8 hours ago, (Luc)ky Luke said:

I really like the simplicity of this build, and the use of minifig torso's is clever!

Thank you! :classic:

Great work! There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said - the use of minifigure torsos is ingenious, and I love how natural you made the cobblestone look!

Out of curiosity, how did you achieve that cobblestone? All the cobblestone I attempt comes off as overly uniform. 

4 hours ago, socalbricks said:

Great work! There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said - the use of minifigure torsos is ingenious, and I love how natural you made the cobblestone look!

Out of curiosity, how did you achieve that cobblestone? All the cobblestone I attempt comes off as overly uniform. 

I used a floating cobblestone technique for that--in other words, they're actually not attached.  This way I could break out of the stud grid.  The variation is very small, but really helps the look.  I got the technique from @soccerkid6 originally.  You can see my way of doing it pretty well in this time lapse video.  That's kind of my latest variant, but I've done it several times with different depth.  Here for instance, it's a plate deeper, so that I could introduce sideways double cheese.  And here, there's no depth at all, just a single layer of loose tiles.

Anyway, hope that helps. :grin:  Glad you liked the way it looks!

On 5/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, Kai NRG said:

I used a floating cobblestone technique for that--in other words, they're actually not attached.  This way I could break out of the stud grid.  The variation is very small, but really helps the look.  I got the technique from @soccerkid6 originally.  You can see my way of doing it pretty well in this time lapse video.  That's kind of my latest variant, but I've done it several times with different depth.  Here for instance, it's a plate deeper, so that I could introduce sideways double cheese.  And here, there's no depth at all, just a single layer of loose tiles.

Anyway, hope that helps. :grin:  Glad you liked the way it looks!

I just checked out those links - that's a great technique! Thank you!