Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

[RCB - OL] Nouveau Oleandia Party

ATTENTION: FIRST IS THE FINAL BUILD AND PHOTOS. IF YOU WISH TO SEE THE TURN PHOTOS, SCROLL DOWN AND READ THE REST OF THE POST AND THREAD!

Here are the final photos. But first, I suggest a little music to get into the mood.

001.png

Let's start with an overview of the square. There are a few brightly colored buildings we can see and some residents of Nouveau Oleandia bustling around. You certainly won't mistake this town for any other! Off to the right, there's a stage with performers; an excited crowd has come to watch.

002.png

A nice close shot of a fountain. Toss a coin in, and maybe you'll get some good luck when you venture out into the swamps!

003.png

004.png

005.png

006.png

Here is out first building in a bright, inviting color. Blue shaded railings for Oleon along with plants to remind you we're on Crocodile Island.You can see the details put in by all the members who worked on this project.

007.png

008.png

009.png

Continuing counter clockwise around the town, we arrive at our second building, a warm yellow one with brown accents designed in seemingly a mix of the shotgun style of design and the Creole townhouse. There's a balcony just like the first building, but this one is supported by columns jutting out. Don't forget to notice the flag colors of Nouveau Oleandia: green, purple, and yellow.

010.png

011.png

Let's take a look at this stage with some musicians. There's a guitar player, a singer, and a man absolutely loving playing the accordian. I mean, wouldn't you love to do that for this crowd of lovely people? Say, what does that gentleman in the back of the photo have there? Let's go check it out!

012.png

013.png

014.png

015.png

Why it's some food vendors! Beer, sausage, they have it!

016.png

Continuing on, we can see at the edge of the build there is some nature. As Nouveau Oleandia is fairly new, there is some encroachment by nature to be expected. Just watch out for crocodiles!

017.png

018.png

019.png

020.png

And now to our third building, a cool light blue building. Some minifigures are watching the festivities out on the street.

021.png

022.png

023.png

And now on to our fourth building! This certainly seems like a bar. And look at those proud Oleander soldiers taking some time off to enjoy the town and merriment. They are certainly enjoying themselves and all Nouveau Oleandia has to offer. So just what are they looking at?

024.png

025.png

026.png

027.png

028.png

Why it's a parade! Complete with musicians and even a prize! Even Herbert and Ol' Bessy were able to make it out. Look at all the townspeople coming to enjoy the music, the food and the attraction. A great time to be had by all! You still listening to the music? Who dat, indeed.

029.png

030.png

031.png

Our fifth building is similar to our first in style, but smaller and a more neutral tan with varying overhangs. Also there is more nature to help give borders to the town.

032.png

And this is our final building for this collab! A nice purple building drawing off of the colors of the flag. But there is still one more thing we need to see.

034.png

035.png

036.png

037.png

The glorious flagpole to show that Nouveau Oleandia and all of Crocodile Island belong to Oleon. Big flags that signify the power blowing in the breeze.

038.png

039.png

040.png

041.png

042.png

043.png

And finally some big wideshots of the build.

The final piece count is 7,398 pieces, with a base of 96x128 studs (12,288 sq studs), and with 79 minifigures. I want to give a big thank you to the talented builders who helped make this massive build happen, @NOD, @Professor Thaum, and @CapOnBOBS. Thank you all for being a part of this absolutely huge, crazy endeavor. I loved seeing all the things you all added to the builds. From techniques to little side stories of minifigures and such, this has been a highlight of Brethren of the Brick Seas for me. I'm very happy we were able to have cross-faction teamwork as well. For everyone who has not been able to see the files to build this and is seeing all these photos now, I hope you looked closely at the photos to see how much work and the builders put in, there are some really creative ways to use pieces in here.

Thank you again to the builders and everyone following this project. Thank you for staying as long as you have to look at the photos and read the text in the post. Now as we say in Nouveau Oleandia, "Laissez les bons temps rouler."

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go grab myself a Hurricane, or whatever the equivalent is here in Nouveau Oleandia. I need it after these past seven days of rendering photos (seriously, seven whole days to render these). And work. And because why not have a good time in Nouveau Oleandia?

noflag.png

Welcome everyone to Nouveau Oleandia's celebration of the new settlement! While Mayor Emile Perrault is away, his wife Elise has called for everyone, be the Sea Rat, Oleander, Eslandolan, or even Corlander, all are welcome to celebrate in the big parade of Oleon's new settlement, Nouveau Oleandia. The place known as Crocodile Island is filled with dangers, so what better way to celebrate life than a party and parade? Join Oleon's RCB totake part in a non-military collab.

What is an RCB?

The basic idea is that one builder starts off a model, adds a certain amount of pieces, and passes the file on to the next builder who adds more bricks, and passes it on to the builder after him, and the cycle repeats until all the builders have built. It's a lot of fun seeing the model grow and the different ideas that each builder has.

Here are links to the previous builds:

RCB 1 - Café Corner : http://www.eurobrick...=48254&hl=relay

RCB 2 - Market street : http://www.eurobrick...=51092&hl=relay

RCB 3 - Classic Space outpost : http://www.eurobrick...=55873&hl=relay

RCB 4 - Pirate fort : http://www.eurobrick...=62132&hl=relay

Who can participate?

Anyone who has the lastest version of Stud.io (or start in LDD and import) and a computer powerful enough to accomodate a ~ 5000 piece model

Interested? Then read on and sign up!!!

- - -

Rules and Guidelines:

Portions of these rules were borrowed from those of previous LDD RCB, written by ADHO15 and further developed by Brickdoctor. Even though this seems like a bunch of boring rules, this is intended to be a serious build, so do read them over before signing up.

Requirements:

• This RCB will be built using Stud.io. If you are not you prefer LDD, please build in that and let KotZ know what your preferred decals are for Stud.io. Please use LDD 4.3.11.(.12 is awful).

• You must have a Brickshelf account or Gmail account (or similar) and know how to use it.

• By the end of the build, the model will contain nearly 5,000 (plus or minus) pieces. If you think that your computer will be unable to handle such a large model, please mention it in your sign up; I will try and give you an early build spot.

Building Regulations:

• Each person can add up to 350 bricks. Use the brick counter to ensure you don't use too many bricks, otherwise portions of your addition will be deleted.

• The general rule is that you can't alter bricks placed by a previous builder. However, if absolutely necessary in order to place some vital structural elements, you are allowed to move max ten of of previous builders bricks. This allowance is not to be used to add decorations or other trivial elements.

• Use only bricks in colors that have been manufactured at some time by TLG. Use BrickLink for reference.

• Avoid 'floating' of bricks, except in special cases where friction would hold the piece in place in real life. While it is okay to have corners and spaces between buildings, please keep the whole model attached. If you need more space, add in a baseplate.

• As a general guideline please avoid use of BPPs, BURPs, and <insert that tiresome argument> pieces. Brick-built solutions usually have a more refined look to them.

• Please try to stay within the intended theme of Oleon and Mardi Gras. While the other three factions are more than welcome to participate, we hope you stay within the building design of the settlement, or make a float if you choose to represent your faction.

• Factions of this build should be limited to Nouveau Oleandia as specific, and at large the Brethren of the Brick Seas as a whole. Make sure you use relevant torso’s, headgear and faces; use your imagination. If you want to build, for example, a Mardier or Lotus float, you are welcome to do so, but please keep in line with the established buildings, floats, etc.

• This is meant to be a peaceful scene. Do not build in attacks by other factions or disasters. The build should represent a typical day around a rising town in BotBS.

• You are not allowed to set the RCB on fire. (or other similar inappropriate additions, and, of course, you may use fire where appropriate, such as torches) I reserve the right to remove anything that is inappropriate for the model.

• Just so our model doesn't end up looking half-finished, if you are one of the later builders, try not to start anything that can't be easily completed by the next builder.

• Provided that they do not violate one of the above Building Regulations, any design decisions are up to you. Just try to keep it looking polished and representative of a Nouveau Oleandertown: armoury, saloon, blacksmith, stables, sheriff's office, stage, restaurant, etc.

Guidelines for discussion of the RCB:

• It's sounds obvious, but to borrow KimT's line, stay on target!

• Do not ask when it will be your turn. I'll PM you when it is, so if you haven't been PMed saying it's your turn, it isn't your turn.

• If you do not get chosen to build, do not use this topic to complain about it to everyone. I'll try to be fair when I choose the participants, and if you want to discuss the participant selection, PM me instead.

- - -

What to do on Your Turn:

• You will receive a PM from myself notifying you when it is your turn and containing the latest version of the model. While the model will be available for download to anyone after the completion of each turn, please do not begin work on your portion before I have sent you the PM, otherwise you might lose your work and/or things could get messy.

• Download the file I sent you and add your bricks. Make sure you follow the Building Regulations. You have three days to complete and send in your model. If you do not or cannot finish in time, you will be replaced by a reserve participant.

• The file I sent you will be named "EB-RCB5 - Turn(turn number)". Rename the file using the appropriate Turn Number (ex. EB-RCB5-Turn1), upload it to your Brickshelf account (or similar) (PM me if you are unsure how to do this), and PM a link back to me.

- - -

I've read and agree to all the rules and regulations- how do I sign up?

Simple. Drop me (Kot) a PM saying that you want to participate and agree to the rules and regulations. If you have a preference as to when you take your turn, also include your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for turn numbers. I cannot guarantee any particular turn. I will try to get you one of your top three choices, but understand that I can't make any promises. Also remember that I cannot be on EB 24/7 to close signups after the 20th entry, so even if you've PMed me, you are not guaranteed a spot on the roster until I send you a PM of confirmation. I will, however, choose an additional four builders for the list of reserves. There is a limit of 20 builders, and the final decision on who to include is up to the host. (me) I will try to select an good balance of both BoBS vets and newcomers. Like the previous RCBS, sign-ups are not on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sign-ups will remain open until February 20th (or until 20 builders have signed up, or if20 spots are taken by duplicates,if such has not occurred by the end of the sign up period).

This post will be updated with the participant's names and every time a turn is completed, the model will be uploaded.

- - -

Builders:

Post 00: basemodel1.png

1. Professor Thaum - A colorful house has been started.

turn01.png

2. NOD - A second house has begun.

turn02.jpg

3. CapOnBOBS - He has added additions to the two buildings and expanded the street.

turn03.png

4 - KotZ added a stage for musicians as well as continuing work on the buildings.

turn04.png

5. Professor Thaum - added plants, more work on the roof, and expanded the street

turn05.png

6. NOD- Added another house, minifigures, and a roof for the yellow building.

turn06a.jpg

7. CAPonBOBS - added some more building walls, finished Building 1's roof work facade, details to the stage.

turn07.png

8. KotZ - Finished off the back walls of the first two buildings.

turn08.png

9. NOD - continued work on the back house, added more minifigures.

turn09.png

10. CAPonBOBS - Added a roof to the stage and a stand behind selling drinks.

turn10.png

11. KOTZ - Added a marching band, sealed up the back blue building, and started a building on the other side of the street.

turn11.png

12. NOD - finished/added a roof to a building, more minifigures

turn12_3.jpg

13. CAPOnBOBS - added a food cart, a cart with a crocodile captured (maybe ready for food, yum fried gator), and has worked more on the purple building.

turn13.png

14. KOTZ - Continued work on the purple building and worked on the green back building

turn14_2.png

15. NOD - added more minifigures, and continued work on the green and purple buildings.

turn15a.jpg

16. CAPOnBOBS - Completed the green building, added minifigures, and a cat

turn16.png

17. Professor Thaum - He has added some nature on the edge of the build to show the surrounding jungle.

turn17.png

18. KOTZ - Work was continued on the final building.

turn18.png

19. NOD -  More foliage has been added as well as the rooftops of the two unfinished buildings.

turn19.jpg

20. CAPOnBOBS - Added a massive flagpole.

turn20.png

Edited by KotZ

Bumping this to see if anyone is interested. It's open to all players!

I really like the idea, but unfortunately, digital building isn't for me. But with so many skilled digital builders, with a little patience, this could be an amazing project! I will encourage anyone to take part!

For me the rules are too complicated. My knowledge of the English language is modest. When I tried to read the rules, it reminded me of the fine print on an insurance contract.

I have three days to complete and send in your model. I can't build without an idea. I need at least 7 days.

Use only bricks in colors that have been manufactured at some time by TLG. Use BrickLink for reference. I don't want to check at BrickLink whether Lego made the brick in the color I am using. An example:

LEGO Wedge 2 x 6 Double Inverted Left (41765)

LEGO Wedge 2 x 6 Double Inverted Right (41764)

Not available in reddish brown like I used it with Esperanza - 21322 Barracuda Frigate.

As a general guideline please avoid use of BPPs, BURPs, and <insert that tiresome argument> pieces. Brick-built solutions usually have a more refined look to them. BPPs, BURPs? I don't understand anything with Google Translator either.

Each person can add up to 350 bricks. Use the brick counter …… I don't know where it is. So far I've just built.

You must have a Brickshelf account or Gmail account (or similar) and know how to use it. Brickshelf? I have Flickr. Do you mean BrickLink? BrickLink doesn't publish my buildings because I used bricks that don't exist. My Gmail accounts were deleted because I didn't want to enter my real phone number.

18 hours ago, NOD said:

For me the rules are too complicated. My knowledge of the English language is modest. When I tried to read the rules, it reminded me of the fine print on an insurance contract.

No worries! I can clarify. And yes, I do agree it feels like reading an insurance contract, but it's only to make sure rules are followed and fair for everyoen.

I have three days to complete and send in your model. I can't build without an idea. I need at least 7 days.

I understand that. Three days is more for getting the project done at a steady, quick pace. Most likely it would be I send someone the build file to add their pieces, they have three days to do it, I get it back, post the update after verifying it's ok, and then a day or two later send it to the next person. Of course, we all have real lives outside of this, so I'm willing to be lenient on time.

Use only bricks in colors that have been manufactured at some time by TLG. Use BrickLink for reference. I don't want to check at BrickLink whether Lego made the brick in the color I am using. An example:

LEGO Wedge 2 x 6 Double Inverted Left (41765)

LEGO Wedge 2 x 6 Double Inverted Right (41764)

Not available in reddish brown like I used it with Esperanza - 21322 Barracuda Frigate.

If you use stud.io, there's an exclamation point that says if it's an official part or not (exclamation means it's not a real color of that element). LDD regular mode only has bricks that are official. Although this is another point I'm willing to budge on.

As a general guideline please avoid use of BPPs, BURPs, and <insert that tiresome argument> pieces. Brick-built solutions usually have a more refined look to them. BPPs, BURPs? I don't understand anything with Google Translator either.

These guys, Big Ugly Rock Pieces (BURPs). And these are LURPS (Large Ugly Rock Pieces) Google should definitely start trying to introduce acronyms into translator.

Each person can add up to 350 bricks. Use the brick counter …… I don't know where it is. So far I've just built.

In LDD and stud.io, piece counter is in the bottom left of your screen, next to the parts display. I would say look at what you start with, add 350, and that number is your target. I'lthough I'm not going to complain if you're one to ten bricks over to complete a specfic model or technique.

You must have a Brickshelf account or Gmail account (or similar) and know how to use it. Brickshelf? I have Flickr. Do you mean BrickLink? BrickLink doesn't publish my buildings because I used bricks that don't exist. My Gmail accounts were deleted because I didn't want to enter my real phone number.

No, I mean Brickshelf, somehow that website is still running. It allows you to post photos and ldd/stud.io files. This part is only to share the actual files from builder to builder. Gmail is just the catchall term (for me? right now?) for an email account that could send/receive the file so you can build and send back. I only mentioned Brickshelf because some people might not be comfortable with handing out their private email, and Brickshelf allows some anonymity.

Great, thank you very much for the explanations. I sign up. I use Studio 2.0.

Edited by NOD

21 hours ago, NOD said:

Great, thank you very much for the explanations. I sign up. I use Studio 2.0.

Great! Is there a specific slot number you would like?

1 hour ago, KotZ said:

Great! Is there a specific slot number you would like? 

I would like slot number 2.

Edited by NOD

22 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

completely missed that one !

Great idea, count me in ! Whatever slot !

Any preference?

Last day! Since there re so few builders, we'll do a rotation, if everyone is fine with that. As this goes on, anyone who hasn't participated and would like to after seeing this go on, you are more than welcome to ask. Currently, I'll have the slots go:

PRofessor Thaum, NOD, Cap, then myself, then back to Thaum, etc.

I agree. I am trying to build within 3 days. But I can't build anything without an idea. So it can be that I need 7 days.

Turn 02 Has been completed by @NOD! He has added a second house.

turn02.jpg

Edited by KotZ

Turn 03 has been completed by @CapOnBOBS! He has added additions to the two buildings and expanded the street.

turn03.png

I never commented on this project, but this is simply great! I never built in LDD, so I could not join, but I'm looking forward to seeing where the whole thing goes!

On 3/6/2021 at 3:42 AM, Keymonus said:

I never commented on this project, but this is simply great! I never built in LDD, so I could not join, but I'm looking forward to seeing where the whole thing goes!

We're using stud.io, if you'd like to join!

Turn 04 - KotZ added a stage for musicians as well as continuing work on the buildings.

turn04.png

turn06a.jpg

Turn 06 has been completed by NOD! He has added minifigures, another house, and begun a roof for the yellow building.

Turn 07 has been completed by CAPonBOBS! - added some more building walls, finished Building 1's roof work facade, details to the stage.

turn07.png

Turn 08 has been completed by KotZ - Finished off the back walls of the first two buildings.

turn08.png

On 4/24/2021 at 5:42 AM, Professor Thaum said:

It turns very nice ! Congratz for the rooftops... especially good :thumbup:

Everyone has been doing fantastic.

Turn 09 has been completed by NOD! He has added more minifigures and has continued work on the back house.

turn09.png

Turn 10 has been completed by CAPonBOBS! He has added a roof to the stage and a small stand behind.

turn10.png