astral brick

Unofficial 90th Anniversary Fan Vote Poll Suggestion

9 minutes ago, astral brick said:

? The purpose of this initiative is exactly to check to what degree the results would differ from the official ones (starting with the first poll). I think it would be very interesting and I don't understand why haven't mods stepped in already or why it was necessary to open this thread to suggest something obvious. The polls should have been organised days ago, and properly advertised on the front page. It is not too late anyway, given that some mod cares about it.

I believe the result would be very similar, except that there will be less voters here on the forum. For select all that apply polls, there are no limit on how many you could select, so members could pick as much options as they want and then the thread is likely to get messed up because of that.

Thanks for understanding.

Edited by JintaiZ

14 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I believe the result would be very similar...

I give up, this is getting surreal.

Relevant sites like Stonewars did their own survey, making a comparison with the official results, and the outcomes of their analys were shared and discussed here. Why not having our own survey to comment then? Why missing this boat? What is the big deal about getting these polls done? In fact the true questions here regard the identity of this forum and whether it wants to stay significant in Lego's online community or not.

I am afraid that, although this forum is still a great - if not the best - resource for specialized topics, when it comes to general discussions it may be better to go to other virtual places.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:00 AM, astral brick said:

Speculations.

Yes, speculation based on observation - relatively few posts are made on the subforum here but there are active Bionicle forums elsewhere.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, Vindicare said:

That’s an odd take to have...that’s as much a Castle theme set as Medieval Market Village or Mill Village Raid is. 

It isn't  though. It is an Ideas set.

5 hours ago, astral brick said:

Relevant sites like Stonewars did their own survey, making a comparison with the official results, and the outcomes of their analys were shared and discussed here. Why not having our own survey to comment then? Why missing this boat? What is the big deal about getting these polls done? In fact the true questions here regard the identity of this forum and whether it wants to stay significant in Lego's online community or not.

I am afraid that, although this forum is still a great - if not the best - resource for specialized topics, when it comes to general discussions it may be better to go to other virtual places.

Go to other virtual places for certain things then? Eurobricks can't be all things to all people.

I think you need to learn to appreciate other people's perspectives.  You had an idea that you thought was interesting.  It seems most others here don't find it interesting. That's life.

You don't seem to recognise that what you asked for is actually quite difficult because not all the features are readily available. I'm also not sure whining about it is going to change anything.

What would you do if Eurobricks made the poll you want and hardly anyone voted (which seems likely based on this thread)? Make people vote when they don't really want to? That sounds like something that would drive people away.

When nobody likes your idea then don't blame everyone else for holding that opinion.

I don't understand why you are placing such an importance on it as though the world will end if it doesn't happen. Eurobricks isn't suddenly going to collapse and die out by not doing your emergency highly demanded poll, it'll keep going. 

If other places such as stoneware have already conducted a poll, why does Eurobricks need to do one too? Just carry on discussing stoneware poll. 

Unless you were hoping for a different result than the official poll, and are hoping this new poll of yours would provide those results thus giving you the opportunity to whine about how the official one was rigged and its clear people actually want whatever theme it is you wanted to win... 

Outside of that, there really is no point in conducting this poll. 

To add to that, 58000 voted. Considering lego's reach, that's not actually that many at all. You'd be lucky for 100 people to vote in eb's poll if they did do it. 100 or there abouts, isn't a big enough sample size to give a proper representation of what all eb members think.

Edited by Fuppylodders

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, speculation based on observation - relatively few posts are made on the subforum here but there are active Bionicle forums elsewhere.

It isn't  though. It is an Ideas set.

Interesting thought, so, in your opinion, is Pirates of Barracuda Bay not a pirates set, but purely an ideas set? 

(am not disagreeing as such (although I do believe it is in the theme of Castle regardless of it being technically an ideas set), am just applying your method of thinking to see if it follows the pobb set) 

2 hours ago, Weil said:

I think you need to learn to appreciate other people's perspectives.  You had an idea that you thought was interesting.  It seems most others here don't find it interesting. That's life.

I wanted to say that I thought the idea was quite interesting. That being said, there was already a lot of threads about the fan vote (some of them got merged/deleted) so I don't want to create another one.

29 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I wanted to say that I thought the idea was quite interesting. That being said, there was already a lot of threads about the fan vote (some of them got merged/deleted) so I don't want to create another one.

Fair enough :pir-tongue:

In case I gave the wrong impression, I of course don't see a problem with people pursuing this.  I just don't think it's necessary to whinge if others don't pursue it.

4 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

If other places such as stoneware have already conducted a poll, why does Eurobricks need to do one too?

Because I think that we shouldn't rely on other sites' polls or articles, we should have conducted our own survey for instance and then proceed to analyse the results.

This forum deserves better than commenting on other blogs' comments and I am not only talking about this specific case - which is the straw that breaks the camel's back - but I am making a general argument.

This virtual square should be a trendsetter, not a follower.

3 hours ago, Weil said:

I just don't think it's necessary to whinge if others don't pursue it.

One thing that is definitely worse than "whinging" is posting just to complaining about "whinging".

7 hours ago, Weil said:

That's life.

I'm also not sure whining about it is going to change anything.

When nobody likes your idea then don't blame everyone else for holding that opinion.

This is a good way talk to someone if you want them to intensely dislike you. It's like you saw someone was frustrated and decided to post just to make them feel worse? Toxic.

12 hours ago, astral brick said:

I think we should have done it. It's a fine idea. I have no idea why it's meeting any resistance.

But getting someone else to set it up is the challenge. I would have been willing but I didn't even know you needed a "rank" to do a poll so when I read your post I didn't even understand what you were asking. I thought you had to be a moderator until just now. I had to go looking for the "poll" option. I never noticed it before.

I'd be willing to do it but like you said I think we kinda "missed the boat." It's probably too late now.

Also there's no good way to do "pick three" in this forum's Polling options. I think it lets you pick as many as you want, or just one.

38 minutes ago, danth said:

It's like you saw someone was frustrated and decided to post just to make them feel worse? Toxic.

I don't think this is a completely fair characterisation.  When you think someone is being unreasonable, I think it's okay to tell them.  Just as when you've considered me to be unreasonable, you have told me.

I too was frustrated but I don't think you're trying to make me feel worse just for the sake of it.  You were doing what you felt necessary to make your point to me - to try and make me change my approach.  My intention was only to do much the same. Not to be "toxic".

Admittedly it seems you're not as concerned with what I said as how I said it.  I accept there's lots of room for improvement there.  Unfortunately, my personality spectrum has always made me more acute to the former than the latter.  I will have to work on this.  I still agree with the substance of what I said though.

Reference to "whinging" in my above post was also only made to clarify I do not have "resistance" to the idea, only to comments that were being made around it and the inclination that it is someone else's duty to implement it.

In any case, I've now said what I felt the need to say and I don't have anything to contribute here so I will stay away from this thread.  I only came here in the first place because nobody before me had replied but I thought it better to try and bring someone into the main discussion rather than ignore them. I came back and took issue with what was now being said.

18 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Interesting thought, so, in your opinion, is Pirates of Barracuda Bay not a pirates set, but purely an ideas set? 

(am not disagreeing as such (although I do believe it is in the theme of Castle regardless of it being technically an ideas set), am just applying your method of thinking to see if it follows the pobb set) 

It is not my view, it is LEGO's view. There is no current Pirates theme. Where is POBB found on their website? IDEAS.

17 minutes ago, MAB said:

It is not my view, it is LEGO's view. There is no current Pirates theme. Where is POBB found on their website? IDEAS.

I understand that, my point is, it's essentially a pirates themes based set, just under a different theme name as a one off. 

It's still very much a full on pirates themed set given its a pirate ship with pirates, and part of an island, and other pirate qualities that were apparant in the actual old pirates theme sets, so therefore easily slots right into what pirate fans are exactly after, if they were to be given a single offering, to which it was. 

So ideas theme or not, that's just a name. The set itself is quintessentially what fits right in with the pirates theme. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

I understand that, my point is, it's essentially a pirates themes based set, just under a different theme name as a one off. 

It's still very much a full on pirates themed set given its a pirate ship with pirates, and part of an island, and other pirate qualities that were apparant in the actual old pirates theme sets, so therefore easily slots right into what pirate fans are exactly after, if they were to be given a single offering, to which it was. 

So ideas theme or not, that's just a name. The set itself is quintessentially what fits right in with the pirates theme. 

I agree, it fits in with the theme. In fact, for me POBB has most of the elements I think of when I  think of pirates. Pirate ship, pirates, pirate Island, and so on. POBB is essentially the theme in one set. It stands as Pirates by itself. Whereas when I think of Castle, I think of castles, knights, and so on and so the Blacksmith is very much on the fringes. Without any other Castle sets, it is not Castle.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:44 AM, MAB said:

I agree, it fits in with the theme. In fact, for me POBB has most of the elements I think of when I  think of pirates. Pirate ship, pirates, pirate Island, and so on. POBB is essentially the theme in one set. It stands as Pirates by itself. Whereas when I think of Castle, I think of castles, knights, and so on and so the Blacksmith is very much on the fringes. Without any other Castle sets, it is not Castle.

Ahh, I see what you're saying :thumbup:

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

I find the lack of Fright Knights disturbing. 

Ha! It was missing Ice Planet too, which was one of my three in the real vote. So I figured I'd vote for Futuron instead, but that was also missing!

20 hours ago, danth said:

Ha! It was missing Ice Planet too, which was one of my three in the real vote. So I figured I'd vote for Futuron instead, but that was also missing!

Fixed! The poll only received 7 responses, which means it won't be accurate enough anyway...

Was caught off guard how many AFOL still like Biconical.  If it wins, fear it wont sell well.  Just don't see it crossing over well to the general public.  That would be a shame as this contest is fun and would be great reexploring more old themes. 

I voted for Pirates.  The Barracuda Bay is still selling well....more pirate sets are coming ether way.  I'm in a good place :)