astral brick

Unofficial 90th Anniversary Fan Vote Poll Suggestion

May someone with the appropriate "rank" please consider to create a poll with the same features of the official one? The timeframe should be the same, i.e. eight days, so if starting from today the deadline should be February 1st.

Besides, if technically feasible, in order to avoid doubts about the results, I would suggest that:

1 The participants have to declare their votes in the comments section (so the number of comments should match the number of votes: no other commentaries allowed)

2  Only the accounts created until January 23th should be able to vote (regardless of their ranks)

3 If present, disable the function "view results without voting"

After the end of the poll the vote count should be published and a new thread can be open to comment the results (and not before, i.e. while the voting or the counting are still under way).

On February 10th another poll should be open (until February 17th) to vote one of the three top themes, allowing only the participants of the first poll to vote and following the aforementioned rules 1 and 3.   

I'm not sure if all of the features you've asked for are very easy to implement - and I think you forgot to say what the point of someone trying to do this would be.  Why don't we just comment on the official results?

The results of the first round have been made available at the link below, if you're interested. We should comment on them in the other thread.

https://www.stonewars.net/lego-news/interim-results-of-the-lego-ideas-90th-anniversary-survey/

5 hours ago, Weil said:

and I think you forgot to say what the point of someone trying to do this would be. 

The point is to know to what extent the results would differ from the official ones.

5 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Why? What is the purpose of this if it features all the same features as the official poll? 

The purpose is to determine if this forum is a representative sample.

Ok, so now is Bionicle vs Classic Space vs Pirates

Hmmmm considering Classic Space recently got 2 sets and Pirates got the IDEAS one last year I feel this will be a little unsatisfying

(The really set Castle up by dividing it on several factions :sceptic:)

Anyway, if this is it, I think I'll going for Pirates. I wonder if they'll include the Islanders :kahuka:

The reality is such a poll would be used only to create conflict. This site is not as popular or widespread as the official Lego poll and has a very different audience. I'd prefer if the only conflict people had was over the official poll as opposed to varying sites all doing individual unofficial fan polls and using them to try and justify why 'x' should have won :P

Benny's Spaceship was seven years ago. And included a magical unicorn cat.

As for Benny's Space Squad, does that even count as a "set"? It's a battle pack, sure, but the builds are like 12 pieces each. I mean, it's not anything that can take the place of an Ideas set.

Yeah, but compare that with what the other entries in the poll have got in the last... decade? 2 decades?

Edited by Robert8

26 minutes ago, danth said:

And included a magical unicorn cat.

Hey hey hey! Some of us love that cat/unicorn/1x3-brick-thing and everything she shows up in! Plus she assimilated into the Classic Space motif; Unikitty is always a team player.

Here's hoping for magical unicorn cat in Pirates and Bionicle.:drunk:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Yeah, but compare that with what the other entries in the poll have got in the last... decade? 2 decades?

Depends on which other entries. Pirates got two sets last year and Castle is getting two this year. Pirates also got an entire theme in 2015. Space and Castle both got themes in 2013. So that puts Space as definitely most due of the three for a new set.

Bionicle got a new theme in 2016!

So of all those, Space by far is the most due.

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

The reality is such a poll would be used only to create conflict.

I think the poll will be food for thought, the whole point of a forum.

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

This site is not as popular or widespread as the official Lego poll and has a very different audience.

Precisely, it would be a useful way to check in what measure the forum is self-referential.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

3 hours ago, danth said:

Depends on which other entries. Pirates got two sets last year and Castle is getting two this year. Pirates also got an entire theme in 2015. Space and Castle both got themes in 2013. So that puts Space as definitely most due of the three for a new set.

Bionicle got a new theme in 2016!

So of all those, Space by far is the most due.

As Danth said, it hasn't been 2 decades. 

People claiming Castle are getting the blacksmith. Some Castle fans would disagree that its a castle set but a random modular of an old blacksmith (with 2 knights) as its not a castle or castle building but a village building. 

If that's the case, constraction also got the star wars figures too. So bionicle fans are pretty much equal footing-or less- than caslte/pirates. I exclude space because if being that technical, space has had the city space theme recently as well as all the nasa stuff. 

But we know that Space fans aren't after the city space type of sets. We know that the blacksmith isn't really what most castle fans are after (it's just their tidbit of food to grab at because it's the closest thing they can have), and we know that the star wars contraction figs aren't what bionicle fans are after either. 

If I'm honest, I think all 4 deserve it because they all played a part in TLG's history and success in one way or another. 

20 hours ago, astral brick said:

Polls for whatsoever but somehow nobody - with more than 500 messages - cares about this one. Sad.

I created a google form for those interested in voting.

Results:

Spoiler

Classic Space: 10 votes (41.7%)
Bionicle: 9 votes (37.5%)
Pirates: 5 votes (20.8%)

Edited by JintaiZ

On 1/27/2021 at 7:33 AM, astral brick said:

Precisely, it would be a useful way to check in what measure the forum is self-referential.

I would imagine that Bionicle would score less well here, as the LEGO Action Figures section is not that active, and also fans of the system are often told that they are not fans of "real LEGO". So they hang out elsewhere.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:08 AM, Fuppylodders said:

People claiming Castle are getting the blacksmith. Some Castle fans would disagree that its a castle set but a random modular of an old blacksmith (with 2 knights) as its not a castle or castle building but a village building. 

That’s an odd take to have...that’s as much a Castle theme set as Medieval Market Village or Mill Village Raid is. 

11 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I created a google form for those interested in voting.

Thank you, anyway where are the other 27 themes? And why didn't you create a poll here since you can do it?

11 hours ago, MAB said:

I would imagine that Bionicle would score less well here, as the LEGO Action Figures section is not that active, and also fans of the system are often told that they are not fans of "real LEGO". So they hang out elsewhere.

Speculations.

43 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

That’s an odd take to have...that’s as much a Castle theme set as Medieval Market Village or Mill Village Raid is. 

Try telling it to them :laugh: they class castle as something with a section of castle wall, small Fort, an actual castle or Knight horse and carriage or some other. Tbh I kinda see where they're coming from, but similarly, personally I do believe blacksmith is very much in the 'theme' of castle, additionally for reason as you point out

17 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Try telling it to them :laugh: they class castle as something with a section of castle wall, small Fort, an actual castle or Knight horse and carriage or some other. Tbh I kinda see where they're coming from, but similarly, personally I do believe blacksmith is very much in the 'theme' of castle, additionally for reason as you point out

I do too. This set & the others aren’t focused on knights, as a Castle theme should be. But I love seeing the “land” expand behind just the castle itself. The layout in my mind has Joust(Kingdoms) as the entry to a vast village with the aforementioned sets & Blacksmith and the castle with additional walls built around to protect the village. 

7 hours ago, astral brick said:

Thank you, anyway where are the other 27 themes? And why didn't you create a poll here since you can do it?

I would have to start a brand new topic to include polls. Furthermore, there is no "hide answers" option.

In regards of the other 27 themes, they already stand no chance so I see no reason to include them.

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

I would have to start a brand new topic to include polls.

Yes, I think a new topic should be started.

Furthermore, there is no "hide answers" option.

Can moderators please help with this problem?

In regards of the other 27 themes, they already stand no chance so I see no reason to include them.

? The purpose of this initiative is exactly to check to what degree the results would differ from the official ones (starting with the first poll). I think it would be very interesting and I don't understand why haven't mods stepped in already or why it was necessary to open this thread to suggest something obvious. The polls should have been organised days ago, and properly advertised on the front page. It is not too late anyway, given that some mod cares about it.