AmperZand

I have placed a BrickLink order every 2 weeks since 2006! You?

I was curious how often I was buying on BrickLink. Turns out, it's almost once every two weeks since 2006 *oh2*. Of course, orders can be of different sizes, but even so, seems like a lot.

To calculate it, I used the number of feedbacks as a proxy for purchases which, I realise, is an underestimation because some sellers don't provide feedback.

BrickLink provides your joining date, i.e. Member Since {date}. In my case, it's a day in 2006.

Using a date duration calculator such as this one, I worked out the number of days since becoming a member.

It's then a simple matter of dividing the number of days by the feedbacks to approximate days per order. Mine is just over 14 or two weeks. Scary!

What's yours? You can add BrickOwl, Lego Ebay etc purchase rates but I'm not sure where you get the duration and number of orders figures from on those platforms.

Edited by AmperZand

Mine is about once a month, but I tend to place reasonable sized (£30-50) parts orders. Typically similar size every couple of weeks at bricks and pieces. Selling, it is about one every two days when I open my store, but they tend to be smaller at £10-20.

Edited by MAB

What an interesting stat to compute. I popped over to Bricklink to do the same and discovered that I joined Bricklink 15 years on this very day! What a coincidence. I should celebrate the anniversary by placing the order. I won’t actually, but I did just get in the mail today an order I placed a week ago.

My numbers show only an order every couple of months on average.

• Feedback 309 orders, 
  • Member since 16th Jan 2005,
  • Member for 5852 Days

An order every 19 days....ahhhh, I'm not as bad as AmperZand but I'm not far off....

And I thought I was not using Bricklink much......

I've apparently got amateur stats compared to some people! I've been a Bricklink member since March 2017 and have 44 feedback (I also added to my count three orders which either haven't arrived yet or arrived in the past few weeks and which I haven't received feedback for) - which gives me a score of one order roughly every thirty days.

However, I joined in 2017 to order a few parts for a specific film project I never ended up making, and went back to the cocoon of my Dark Ages almost immediately. Almost all of my Bricklink orders have come since May 24th last year, when I returned to Lego (I think I have four or five from before this time). If I do a revised calculation to exclude the three years I wasn't buying, my score drops to one purchase every six days or so. More in line with what I expected.

I have only ordered twice (I think) off bricklink, and about four or five years ago. I have made one Bricks and Pieces order since.

Hi all, I just joined Bricklink last month, Dec 26th. And i have already placed 23 orders. I probably have as much in shipping as I do lego.

Jason

Edited by blurr95

On 1/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, Alexandrina said:

However, I joined in 2017 to order a few parts for a specific film project I never ended up making, and went back to the cocoon of my Dark Ages almost immediately. Almost all of my Bricklink orders have come since May 24th last year, when I returned to Lego (I think I have four or five from before this time). If I do a revised calculation to exclude the three years I wasn't buying, my score drops to one purchase every six days or so. More in line with what I expected.

Once every six days, give or take, seems like a lot. I thought I had it bad!

On 1/25/2021 at 3:25 AM, blurr95 said:

Hi all, I just joined Bricklink last month, Dec 26th. And i have already placed 23 orders. I probably have as much in shipping as I do lego.

Jason,

That's one order every day-and-a-bit! *oh2* Presumably, you're acquiring pieces for a particular mod or MOC; or are you just building up a stock of parts for modding/MOCing in the future? Do you know how long you will keep up your current pace of ordering?

Having been a member for a short time does reveal a flaw in my methodology for those new to BrickLink. If, for example, someone has only been a member for exactly a day and has placed three orders in that time, their rate will be one order every eight hours. Either the length of membership needs to be considered with the rate or the method should be confined to those who have been buying on BrickLink for at least six months.    

Irregularly here - I guess an order or two per year since almost two decades (joint BL 2003). Ordered mostly electric/electronic stuff and 9V train track :-)))

Never more than 100€/order - the better part of me is carefully overlooking the family budget. I am very happy about that - otherwise we certainly would be in financial trouble.  

Best
Thorsten

I’m are a fairly frequent buyer on BrickLink. Mostly basis bricks in rather big quantities.
In about twenty years I ordered more than 500 times. And I am only a buyer.    

I've been a member of BL since august 10 2011

I've left 803 positives, 1 neutral and 2 negatives

I've recieved 700 positive, 3 neutrals and 1 negative

So that's a pretty good rating :pir-huzzah1:

I have only purchased once on Bricklink so far. I just don't understand why some people regularly buy on this site as everyone's shipping policy is different and 99% of them will charge you a good amount of shipping cost.

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

I have only purchased once on Bricklink so far. I just don't understand why some people regularly buy on this site as everyone's shipping policy is different and 99% of them will charge you a good amount of shipping cost.

In my experience most people aren't too bad (in the UK). The vast majority of my purchases have been small orders that fit in a second class large letter. That doesn't cost an exorbitant amount - and if a seller is charging more than is reasonable for postage, I just won't buy. 

17 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

In my experience most people aren't too bad (in the UK). The vast majority of my purchases have been small orders that fit in a second class large letter. That doesn't cost an exorbitant amount - and if a seller is charging more than is reasonable for postage, I just won't buy. 

that means, you mostly only buy from UK sellers and you are located in UK right?

I often buy on ebay instead. Prices are often better, and their policies are more standard and easier to understand.

22 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

by the way, can you recommend a few good bricklink sellers who ship from UK?

I mostly buy small sets and polybags but I never buy used.

Edited by ks6349

2 hours ago, ks6349 said:

that means, you mostly only buy from UK sellers and you are located in UK right?

Yep, I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that has plenty of resellers active on Bricklink, and therefore I can usually find what I want listed somewhere (although certain parts/sets never seem to be available even at an extortionate price whenever I look for them). If you don't have so many people in your country selling, and thus have to use international shipping all the time, I can definitely see that it would be more expensive than it's worth. As for recommendations, I can't help you, I'm afraid! It's probably bad form on my part, but I never pay particular attention to who I'm buying from - I just find the best listing for my purposes and then pay.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, ks6349 said:

by the way, can you recommend a few good bricklink sellers who ship from UK?

I'm in the UK, so don't know which sellers send internationally from the UK.

Best international prices to Vietnam including postage are probably Hong Kong, Australia and the US. If you find a part you're particularly after, BrickLink allows you to select whether the part is new and if sellers ship to your country. It's then a matter of looking at feedbacks, both positives and negatives. If a seller has thousands of positives, they probably have a large selection if there are other parts you're looking for. And if they have no or very few negatives, they are likely trustworthy. I have bought through BL hundreds of times since 2006 and have only had a handful of bad experiences. 99% of BL orders I have been happy with - and I'm very fussy.

Edited by AmperZand