Dazzzy

LEGO IDEAS Vintage car contest, failed submission.

Recommended Posts

After being very impressed by seeing @Versteinert's amazing winning entry finally being produced, I've decided to share a few pics here of my own final entry into the same contest.

Unfortunately it didn't quite get submitted as i'd liked it to have been, as it got stuck in a submission queue. In fairness it's not surprising really as there was around 1000 entries in total, so i can imagine it must've been a nightmare for the staff handling all of those submissions, trying to get them approved before the deadline was over. 

To be honest though, i highly doubt my entry would've made it to the final fan vote, partly because of the out of scale small wheels i decided to use, but more importantly because of the hinge pieces i'd also used, as i later found out LEGO haven't produced them for quite some time. Ultimately though, i doubt my design could really hold a candle to the final 10 submissions, as they were all pretty awesome!  

Anyway, here's what my entry should've been.  It's called the 'Deluxor Cote d'Azure'.  In hindsight it doesn't look that great now, but i was really pleased at the time by it's ride height adjustment system i'd implemented.  You twist the spare wheel cover at the back, and hey presto! the car lifts and stays at it's new height, until you decide to twist it back.  It works surprisingly well! 

 50864028157_363385b46f_c.jpg

50863945906_bedcfa39c3_c.jpg

50863947736_a15ff8c4e2_c.jpg

50863949586_973e09dd6b_c.jpg

Over the past few days, i decided to evolve the idea a bit by giving it larger wheels, so it would be more fitting to the modular building scale cars. I did do another version too, that has the ice skate front bumpers and chrome/metalised silver grill, as well as minus the rear fins, but my camera battery died, so pics of that will have to wait for another day. 

50863239743_b2af81a54c_c.jpg

50863956301_9f36d95ddd_c.jpg

50863957771_965636105e_c.jpg

50864064442_ec628de09a_c.jpg

And finally a couple of pics of them side by side (old and new).

50864066127_be73f15e50_c.jpg

50863249738_a845916172_c.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my creation.  

Will be updating with a few more pics when i get the chance. :classic:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great MOC, and I would definitely not call it a "failed" submission – it just did not happen to win :wink: I really like the height adjustment feature and how neatly it is integrated – normally, something like that would mean compromising the looks, but here it is obvously not the case. As a matter of fact, this was on my personal short list during the first stage of the vote. Thank you for sharing the updated version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a really cool build. I'm interested in how the height adjustment system works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nightfall said:

That's a really cool build. I'm interested in how the height adjustment system works.

Here is a render of the mechanism featured in the original entry:

webp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, imvanya said:

This is a great MOC, and I would definitely not call it a "failed" submission – it just did not happen to win :wink: I really like the height adjustment feature and how neatly it is integrated – normally, something like that would mean compromising the looks, but here it is obvously not the case. As a matter of fact, this was on my personal short list during the first stage of the vote. Thank you for sharing the updated version!

Thanks for the kind words @imvanya:thumbup:   I prefer the movement of the height adjustment more on the small wheel version, as it returns to normal height without any other assistance. The big wheel version requires the front and back to be pushed down by fingertip, due to the hinges used. Which isn't too bad though, as it allows for the front or back to be posed at independent heights. Both versions adjust their heights using the same principal/method (cam).  

On 1/27/2021 at 10:58 AM, Nightfall said:

That's a really cool build. I'm interested in how the height adjustment system works.

Thank you @Nightfall!  :thumbup:   It works by using a cam system like the pic of my early submission @imvanya has kindly added.  I did change it slightly though as the stop is now built into the body of the car, and the pieces between the wheels are now completely flat tiles. 

 

Here's a pic of the bigger version, but with a metallic grill and skate pieces:

50887667353_d62f23c39c_c.jpg

And here's a version of it in teal/dark turquoise colour.  Had to substitute some parts though, as they don't come in the desired colour yet. 

50888500087_9c67aa8d4d_c.jpg

50888382511_1839bcd4fa_c.jpg

Decided to use the rounded corners on the rear of both versions, though the tail fins of the previous version can be easily added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like I haven't looked into this forum for too long, since I missed this thread. This was one of my absolute favourites in the contest. And you definitely would have deserved to win the contest, too. You managed to combine the 50s style with a great and innovative feature in a unique and imo mainly new way. Your entry could have been some kind of a prototype or concept car in the 1950s.

Although your approx 7 studs wide version is also great, I like the original 6 studs wide version better. And actually I think the small wheels fit the car very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Dazzzy: Failed???

The topic title is wrong. Not "failed". I'd go with not supported - which means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Your MOC is a true beauty. And a very nice build.

Thank you very much for sharing (the lovely) details!

All the best
Thorsten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, Versteinert said:

Seems like I haven't looked into this forum for too long, since I missed this thread. This was one of my absolute favourites in the contest. And you definitely would have deserved to win the contest, too. You managed to combine the 50s style with a great and innovative feature in a unique and imo mainly new way. Your entry could have been some kind of a prototype or concept car in the 1950s.

Although your approx 7 studs wide version is also great, I like the original 6 studs wide version better. And actually I think the small wheels fit the car very well.

Thank you ever so much for the kind words @Versteinert:sweet: :thumbup:   It really does means a lot to me, coming from such a talented LEGO designer and classic car fan as yourself!

And yes i agree, i too prefer the original with the smaller wheels. It's a more robust and a surprisingly sturdier build than my 7-wide later version. 

The 7-wide version was done to hopefully appeal to a wider audience if i ever decide to share the instructions. But i do feel the original smaller version looks a lot more complete and charming overall. 

 

Unfortunately I've yet to acquire your awesome GWP, (i will hopefully either get the parts or buy a set via Bricklink),  but i did notice in the review of the set here on Eurobricks, that in the instruction booklet it says you own a classic car in real life. That's awesome!  Can i ask what classic car you have?  (you can tell me via PM if you'd rather not share that info with others). 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:35 PM, Toastie said:

 @Dazzzy: Failed???

The topic title is wrong. Not "failed". I'd go with not supported - which means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Your MOC is a true beauty. And a very nice build.

Thank you very much for sharing (the lovely) details!

All the best
Thorsten

Thank you ever so much for the kind words too @Toastie!  :sweet: :thumbup:   Yes maybe the title is a little misleading, but ultimately i did fail at the mission/goal i'd hoped to accomplish. But i know that's not unique, as everyone who entered the contest had dreams of winning.  I think the title reflects more the frustration within myself really, if that makes sense.  

Edited by Dazzzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DazzzyFirst of all, I don't think that I'm more talented as you are. I only had more luck in the contest ;)

You found the right word to describe your car. It is charming. And yes, it is more charming than the wider version, maybe because of it's small size.

Regarding my own classic car: This isn't a secret ;) I own this one for about 15 years now and discussed it quite intensively in a classic cars forums in the past as well (if you should ever search for a german speaking classic car forum, then try out forum.hecktrieb.de ;) ). It's a 1972 Ford Taunus Coupé. Stylistic this hasn't much in common with 50s US cars, but of course my interests also reach out to these older american cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, what a wonderful build. I love this so much! And the cam mechanism to raise the suspension? Brilliant. In fact, it inspired me to try something - not quite this, but something like it - for one of my own models. I don't wish to derail your thread with a conversation about my own stuff, but thanks for posting this. Incredibly cool, cute, and inspirational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in love with this! The wheels might be out of scale, but they feel strangely nostalgic for me. I think I might have had a toy car when I was younger with an identical wheel-to-car ratio!

What's the hairpiece of the woman on the original build, if you don't mind me asking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That cam mechanism is very clever, it even looks like a transmission tunnel running through the cabin

With the tiny wheels and that windscreen it reminds  me of Spongebob's boat-car a bit haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, Versteinert said:

@DazzzyFirst of all, I don't think that I'm more talented as you are. I only had more luck in the contest ;)

You found the right word to describe your car. It is charming. And yes, it is more charming than the wider version, maybe because of it's small size.

Regarding my own classic car: This isn't a secret ;) I own this one for about 15 years now and discussed it quite intensively in a classic cars forums in the past as well (if you should ever search for a german speaking classic car forum, then try out forum.hecktrieb.de ;) ). It's a 1972 Ford Taunus Coupé. Stylistic this hasn't much in common with 50s US cars, but of course my interests also reach out to these older american cars.

First off, apologies for not replying sooner to your quote above. I got a little side-tracked by something else yesterday, as i was typing my original reply. 

Secondly, thanks! :) :thumbup:  Though i'm going to have to kindly disagree, as i do think you're more talented than myself, but just because i say that, it doesn't mean i don't recognise my own talent. :)

And thirdly, wow what an awesome car!! :thumbup:   I will definitely be taking a look at the forum you've mentioned to check it out!  Also can i ask is it the TC variant or the 2 door notchback shape that you own?  To my knowledge, we never had the Taunus coupe over here in the UK, it was only ever sold to us as the Cortina, and i don't think we even had the 2 door notchback, let alone the TC version, (that shape in particular kind of reminds me of a miniature Mustang).   

I'd love to own a classic car like that myself some day, but the closest i've ever come to owning one (though it was more of a vintage car), was when my Mom sadly passed away  6 years ago.  The car wasn't originally hers as it belonged to my Grandad, who had worked most of his life as a head mechanic at the main Ford dealership, in my home town of Birmingham. He was always tinkering with cars even after retirement, and had acquired amongst various other cars, an old (i think it must've been late 50's?) Ford Pop 103e (the one with the side valve engine). The condition of it wasn't too bad (some rust here and there), but he ended up having to pull the engine out for repair/refurbishment. Which is the reason why it ended up finding a home in my Moms empty garage, as he'd put up a winch block pulley in there, (he only had his driveway for tinkering about which already had 3 cars/projects on it).  

Anyway, to cut an even longer story short, my Grandad never did get around to repairing and restoring the car, before he too sadly passed away, as he unfortunately went on to suffer various illnesses later in life, which put a stop to his hobbies. And it wasn't until my Mom suddenly passed away, that we (me my sister and brother) had to come to the decision to let it go, as the rented council house we grew up in with our Mom had to be cleared at really short notice, and neither of us had the room to give the car a home. 

It's kinda sad really when i think of it, as it would've been really nice to keep it in the family and finish off the work. But although i love cars i'm no mechanic and the space issue just made it not a viable option. Still i do dream of owning a classic car some day. :)

(Apologies for rambling away there).  

22 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

Hey, what a wonderful build. I love this so much! And the cam mechanism to raise the suspension? Brilliant. In fact, it inspired me to try something - not quite this, but something like it - for one of my own models. I don't wish to derail your thread with a conversation about my own stuff, but thanks for posting this. Incredibly cool, cute, and inspirational.

Thanks Carbohydrates! :thumbup:   Again just like Versteinert, coming from such a talented builder as yourself, your kind words mean a lot to me!  I'm also really happy the cam raising suspension, has led to giving you some inspiration, and i'm intrigued to see what you've come up with in relation to it!   Also please feel free to discuss it further here if you like, but if not i'll be sure to check out in your own dedicated thread. :)

21 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm in love with this! The wheels might be out of scale, but they feel strangely nostalgic for me. I think I might have had a toy car when I was younger with an identical wheel-to-car ratio!

What's the hairpiece of the woman on the original build, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you ever so much Alexandrina!  :thumbup:   And yes, some of the cars of that era (late 50's early 60's) were indeed a little under-wheeled, so i'm glad it's sparked that kind of nostalgia with you, (i'm sure i had some old toy cars too when i was younger, that had that kind of look about them, as well). :)

As for the hair piece, (i was actually inspired to use it after seeing @Versteinert's render of his excellent Aedelsten GWP), it's the Cinderella Hair with Bun piece (part number: 15873).  It's for the LEGO Friends/Disney scale figures, but it fits just fine on the minifigure heads, if you can look passed the hole on the top, and the matte finish. 

12 hours ago, Merlict said:

That cam mechanism is very clever, it even looks like a transmission tunnel running through the cabin

With the tiny wheels and that windscreen it reminds  me of Spongebob's boat-car a bit haha

Thanks ever so much Merlict!  :thumbup:   It's funny you should mention about Spongebob's boat-car. :)  As my design actually came very close to being submitted with a visual change up front, (3 red sloped curve 2x1 pieces, in place of the metalic 2x1 vented slope pieces) which gave it the appearance close to one of those Amphi-cars. 

And yes, i surprised myself with the solution of making the cam shaft into a transmission tunnel. It's a rarity i have a good idea like that. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dazzzy said:

it's the Cinderella Hair with Bun piece (part number: 15873).  It's for the LEGO Friends/Disney scale figures, but it fits just fine on the minifigure heads, if you can look passed the hole on the top, and the matte finish. 

I'll be Bricklinking me one of them I think. The hair compatibility is I think the saving grace of the Friends figures - it's essentially double the variety of hairstyles. And even some system hair pieces have holes in, so it's not a catastrophe anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'll be Bricklinking me one of them I think. The hair compatibility is I think the saving grace of the Friends figures - it's essentially double the variety of hairstyles. And even some system hair pieces have holes in, so it's not a catastrophe anyway!

:thumbup:   You're right, some system hair pieces do have holes in them too, (i think i have one but it's in dark brown so less noticable).  And yes, it is a saving grace of the Friends figures, though it's only recently i realised the hairpieces were even compatible, which is great!  

Also, i think i payed around 75p for the Cinderella hair, (in case you were wondering), which i think isn't too bad a price to pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

Also, i think i payed around 75p for the Cinderella hair, (in case you were wondering), which i think isn't too bad a price to pay. 

For a good hair piece? That's a bargain in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

Thanks Carbohydrates! :thumbup:   Again just like Versteinert, coming from such a talented builder as yourself, your kind words mean a lot to me!  I'm also really happy the cam raising suspension, has led to giving you some inspiration, and i'm intrigued to see what you've come up with in relation to it!   Also please feel free to discuss it further here if you like, but if not i'll be sure to check out in your own dedicated thread. :)

Well sure, I'll talk about it here briefly, then, since I'm kind of avoiding posting things to my thread until I have the physical model built. The concept is: I was, by coincidence, already working on a 6-wide version of the Creator Expert Mustang when I saw your wonderful car in the thread here. As you may know, that set has a feature that allows you to change the height of the rear axle on the fly to give the car a more aggressive rake. You inspired me to build a similar mechanism into my own model!

ydsJ0dMt.png bqCS2est.png

You can see that the badge on the decklid is actually a bushing on a grey Technic axle. Turning it engages a small gearbox between the wheels that cams the rear axle downward. Turning the axle liftarms about 20 degrees is enough to stance the whole car by about 2 degrees!

q8J3lqvt.png ddllo1at.png

And then, just to complete the package, I made all the little hot rod add-on bits, too.

aGhsEN1t.png Q5bxsb4t.png

Thank you once more for the inspiration and the opportunity to talk about it here, because I'm very excited about this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that looks awesome @Carbohydrates!  :drool: :thumbup:   

It really does look like a scaled down version of the Creator Mustang!  And the use of the worm gear really improves upon the original concept, and how you've integrated/disguised the operation by use of the badge, is straight up genius!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.