MY1

Wishbone suspension without steering rods or ball joint

the other day I was trying to create create a rear axle for a moc that I'm working on and then I ran out of steering rods and I also didn't have any of those weird ball joint connector things that the Sian has but then I came up with a solution that I think is sturdier than either

Screenshot%202021-01-21%20at%205.13.26%2

I've never seen anyone else do this before so I just wanted to share my idea. Let me know what you think 

it's also ALOT easier to put into LDD or Mecabricks or whater

Edited by MY1

This is meant to fix the hub from moving? It will not work because the 5L beam also moves up and down relative th the hub.

Edited by Zerobricks

Just now, Zerobricks said:

This is meant to fix the hub from moving? It will not work because the 5L beam also moves up and down relative th the hub.

i built it irl too and it seems to work perfectly fine could u explain what u mean

Just now, MY1 said:

i built it irl too and it seems to work perfectly fine could u explain what u mean

The 5L beam is not on the same level as the hub, it also travels up and down, hence it will be dragging the connector up and down the axle.

ok i tinkered around with the previous idea and I got this. i don't think it has any problems it also has all the same benefits as the previous design

Screenshot%202021-01-21%20at%205.38.55%2

pls let me know what you think 

Edited by MY1

The hub will be forced inward at the minimum and maximum angles of the suspension arms due to the axle rubbing against the part attached to the 5P beam instead of the pivot point. If steering is not necessary, the best solution is to use the older pinhole hubs like how they are used in 42037.

If you don't need steering then you can just rotate the hub by 90 degrees to have the axle holes face sideways :grin:

The fundamental problem with this approach is that the perpendicular distance from the 5L beam to the hub is not constant.  You can see in the image that the axle is not centred in the pin hole of the cross connector.  To make this approach work, you'd need that connector to be hinged at both ends so that it can remain parallel to the wishbone arms.

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The hub will be forced inward at the minimum and maximum angles 

Did you mean outward or am I misunderstanding?

I think this design would put a lot of stress on the connection between the brown axle and the hub.

Edited by pdw

If you don't need steering, why are you using those suspension arms at all? Just use liftarms. 6L horizontal and 5L vertical. And do away with ball joints altogether. See for example the rear axle of 8448 (yes, I know, old set, but it shows the principle).