1 hour ago, NathanR said:

I had no idea my question about the iceberg would provoke such strong responses, I had naively thought that a brick-built iceberg would be seen as a nothing more than some dark humour in the set. It's been genuinely interesting hear your viewpoints, and definitely something to reflect on.

Actually, I remember once seeing a Lego Ideas project featuring a model of Titanic that had the "play-feature" of being able to split in two and be displayed mid-sinking. The hinge mechanism was technically clever, but the designer came in for an awful lot of criticism and I believe he ended up pulling the project himself.

I'd have to say, while I understand dark humour and do find certain dark humour funny, and done the old 'groan' at the odd dad joke relating to a titanic joke, for TLG to include dark humour in that sense for a Titanic set would just be too far, and I'm sure they'd be full aware of the backlash they'd get for it. Knowing when to implement dark humour and when to not implement it, is the key. Not implementing it here would provide a much more successful opportunity and would remove any controversy.
If they did, I can only say, on their head be it. It wouldn't destroy TLG, but they'd certainly face a backlash.
As individuals to make jokes to each other is one thing. As a company, to provide dark humour when family ethics is what is promoted, is another.

I didn't mean to come across harsh, I was just being straight forward with my response.

Model sets of the Titanic have been made for yeeeaaaarrrrs by companies such as Revell and Airfix, it's nothing new or controversial in itself. And, if true, it is great for them to finally make one as a set. Hopefully, big enough to do it justice too. To provide a splitting function, and an iceberg, would just simply be in bad taste for the company to promote. As Murdoch shows, if you do really want an iceberg, the great thing about lego is, you're easily able to add one yourself, if that's your thing :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, Stefanisimo said:

Hello everybody!

I've been viewing these forums since 2016 but this rumor convinced me to join this community now. I cannot put into words how much I am excited for this set if it indeed is coming! Ever since I was a kid I had been fascinated by the Titanic and its history that I spent many hours learning all there is to know about this ship. I remember wanting a Lego model 10+ years ago, and wanting to have one I made my own mocs (If you can even call them that). I even came across a very nice moc a few months ago but ultimately decided not to buy the instructions as it would end up too expensive with all the pieces involved. The Olympic class liners truly are the most beautiful vessels man has ever created it's really a shame none are still around.

Wow, this year is definitely shaping up to be the best year for Lego and I can't believe there will be a set I want more than any of the amazing star wars sets rumored to come out later this year!

When do rumors for these large D2C sets actually get 100% confirmed? I know I shouldn't hype myself too much but I just can't resist. I can't wait to replace my budget cardboard Titanic model with this beauty!

Well greetings @Stefanisimo!  Though this has not yet been confirmed, the source of this particular rumour has a 100% track record, on sets such as the Colosseum, Elf Clubhouse, and Ghostbusters Ecto-1.  It normally can't be confirmed until far later (particularly as we've been told it will come out in the latter half of 2021), but leaked pictures usually start appearing 1-2 months before hand.  I've also never seen this site wrong, so as soon as the set number is known it will almost certainly appear there and stay there.

Vilhelm22

18 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Well greetings @Stefanisimo!  Though this has not yet been confirmed, the source of this particular rumour has a 100% track record, on sets such as the Colosseum, Elf Clubhouse, and Ghostbusters Ecto-1.  It normally can't be confirmed until far later (particularly as we've been told it will come out in the latter half of 2021), but leaked pictures usually start appearing 1-2 months before hand.  I've also never seen this site wrong, so as soon as the set number is known it will almost certainly appear there and stay there.

Vilhelm22

Thank you! That is nice to hear, I will be checking that site as well. Glad to hear they are credible.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Silly question but....

Isnt this licensed?

Well, considering no one really owns the Titanic now, I'd say no :laugh_hard:

No, I meant if this had something to do with the 1997 movie

Maybe the iceberg and frozen Jack could a gwp polybag

I'd rather they not associate the set with the movie at all. It would be kind of distasteful and pointless in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Stefanisimo said:

Well, considering no one really owns the Titanic now, I'd say no :laugh_hard:

Technically, it is still owned.  Just not by White Star Lines or its successor Carnival Cruise Line.  Who it turns out never owned the ship in the first place.  I was owned by J.P. Morgan and some other investors.  It is  now owned by a bunch of insurance companies who have for all intents and purposes abandoned it.

On a side note Carnival Cruise Line also owned the Costa Concordia.

Now with respect to the set, I am going to have to buy two of them.  My 7 year old daughter is obsessed with the Titanic and I am a Naval Architect.  When i told her about the possibility of this set this morning she basically squealed and said I had to buy it for her.   And the timing was sort of coincidental as well.  Last night she and her sister were playing with their Lego and they had made a "Titanic" out of blocks and Lego.  This morning I come downstairs and there are a ton of minidolls and minifigs laying on the floor with some of them in "lifeboats".  She told me the ones that were not in the lifeboats were dead and floating in the water.

3 hours ago, Northgeorgiamasonry said:

e Moaning Myrtle minifig has the perfect color scheme for a drowning Jack Dawson minifig

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

No, I meant if this had something to do with the 1997 movie

9 hours ago, Stefanisimo said:

I'd rather they not associate the set with the movie at all. It would be kind of distasteful and pointless in my opinion.

I agree it would be a good colour match, though I cannot see TLG including references to the movie, especially to the drowning scenes. The closest that TLG has ever come to depicting death is the choking Raymus Antilles figure from 2008, and it would be stretch to compare the gravity of SW with the titanic. Licencing agreements would also be an issue, and regardless of how it is presented, depicting the drowning even of fictional characters would cause a lot of controversy, which I think TLG would ironically rather avoid.

This happened in real life, and people died, this should 100% never be related to the movie and it's actors.

If rumour is true, this will be a Day 1 buy for me.

For the dramatically offended folks, I don’t recall a backlash on space shuttle models due to the Challenger disaster.  

18 hours ago, MSY-MSP said:

Technically, it is still owned.  Just not by White Star Lines or its successor Carnival Cruise Line.  Who it turns out never owned the ship in the first place.  I was owned by J.P. Morgan and some other investors.  It is  now owned by a bunch of insurance companies who have for all intents and purposes abandoned it.

On a side note Carnival Cruise Line also owned the Costa Concordia.

Now with respect to the set, I am going to have to buy two of them.  My 7 year old daughter is obsessed with the Titanic and I am a Naval Architect.  When i told her about the possibility of this set this morning she basically squealed and said I had to buy it for her.   And the timing was sort of coincidental as well.  Last night she and her sister were playing with their Lego and they had made a "Titanic" out of blocks and Lego.  This morning I come downstairs and there are a ton of minidolls and minifigs laying on the floor with some of them in "lifeboats".  She told me the ones that were not in the lifeboats were dead and floating in the water.

Isn't it that just a bunch of companies own the salvage rights but nothing more than that? Technically if someone were somehow to salvage the entire ship they would be able to claim ownership over it?

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Titanic and Stadium have both been added to jjp's site.

Hype levels just exploded! :excited:

4 hours ago, Big Adam said:

For the dramatically offended folks, I don’t recall a backlash on space shuttle models due to the Challenger disaster.  

I'm not offended about Titanic, but a real world tragic ship/event shouldn't be advertised around a fictional hollywood movie or it's actors.

Now, that's not to say that the story cannot be mentioned anywhere, but at least mention the real story/technology from a 1912 perspective, not a Cinematic perspective.

Space Shuttle models are fine, but Columbia or Challenger also shouldn't be advertised around STS-51L or STS-107, both had other succesful missions (see Women of Nasa set for example).

Edited by TeriXeri

I can't say I'm not excited by the prospect of a Titanic, which as others have pointed out is perhaps the most recognisable passenger ship of all time (maybe the most recognisable ship full stop?) The selfish part of me wants it to be a 2022 release though - I've literally just got all my ducks in a row for planning picking up the sets I want from the Winter 2021 range and those I haven't yet got from 2020 - a big juicy Titanic will blow my budget right out of the water! (No pun intended there...)

This definitely is something I wasn’t expecting. I guess you could say it was a n-ice surprise.

Controversy will be somewhat inevitable when it gets revealed to the general public. Including the iceberg or any characters from the famous movie would be a little on the morbid side, but I’m sure the ship itself will look fantastic. Titanic MOCs and sets from knock-off brands are so prevalent that it would be a waste for Lego not to capitalize on it at some point I suppose.

What’s with all the references to the James Cameron movie? I fail to see the relevance, especially as this will be nowhere near minifig scale and will therefore not have any ‘characters’.

Edited by Big Adam

I wonder if they will include the usual "Boat does not float" warning on the box. Very apt in this case but could be seen as distasteful.

1 hour ago, Big Adam said:

What’s with all the references to the James Cameron movie? I fail to see the relevance, especially as this will be nowhere near minifig scale and will therefore not have any ‘characters’.

Helicarrier was not minifig scale. The large Hogwarts was not minifig scale. Saturn V was not minifig scale. Yet all had characters. I doubt this needs them, but characters can be done in microscale.

Edited by MAB

1 hour ago, Big Adam said:

Because unbelievably that’s many people’s main or even only reference to the subject.

Visiting the museum in Belfast (excellent by the way) the stuff you overhear from tourists (“but in the movie...” etc) just makes you shake your head in despair.

Whilst I’m curious to see an official set, I just wouldn’t buy it out of personal preference.

7 hours ago, The Stud said:

Titanic MOCs and sets from knock-off brands are so prevalent that it would be a waste for Lego not to capitalize on it at some point I suppose.

Calling Cobi a "knock-off" brand is like calling a Ferrari a knock-off of a Porsche.  In many regards Cobi is a better quality brand than Lego.  Their real world vehicles are often made to a specific scale like conventional model kits.  They build the set to the scale and set the price accordingly.  Cobi has a whole line of 1:300 scale ships (mostly battleships.)  Contrast that to Lego that builds a "collector's" model to a price point and has no consistent scale between sets that should be consistent to each other.  Look at the so called "Ultimate Collector Series" Star Wars fighters that are not to scale to one another.

Lego has never made a set of a scale model ship anywhere near as good as the ones Cobi makes.  If this rumor is true, they have a seriously high bar to clear to avoid looking like Lego is the cheap knock-off.

8 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

Calling Cobi a "knock-off" brand is like calling a Ferrari a knock-off of a Porsche.  In many regards Cobi is a better quality brand than Lego.  Their real world vehicles are often made to a specific scale like conventional model kits.  They build the set to the scale and set the price accordingly.  Cobi has a whole line of 1:300 scale ships (mostly battleships.)  Contrast that to Lego that builds a "collector's" model to a price point and has no consistent scale between sets that should be consistent to each other.  Look at the so called "Ultimate Collector Series" Star Wars fighters that are not to scale to one another.

Lego has never made a set of a scale model ship anywhere near as good as the ones Cobi makes.  If this rumor is true, they have a seriously high bar to clear to avoid looking like Lego is the cheap knock-off.

Easier to establish a set scale when all the models you try to replicate are pretty much in the same size to begin with. Star Wars has ships that range in size from very small fighters to huge star destroyers and trying to keep a fraction of that in scale would be rather pointless in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Because unbelievably that’s many people’s main or even only reference to the subject.

What a shame. The ship's tragic history is fascinating enough on its own even if a movie had never been made about it.

Also, the 1953 Clifton Webb/Barbara Stanwyck movie was better. Change my mind.

1 hour ago, Stefanisimo said:

Easier to establish a set scale when all the models you try to replicate are pretty much in the same size to begin with. Star Wars has ships that range in size from very small fighters to huge star destroyers and trying to keep a fraction of that in scale would be rather pointless in my opinion.

I did specifically say the UCS fighters are not to scale to one another.  Many of them are "close enough" but some are just obviously "wrong."  I would never expect a fighter to be in true scale with a Star Destroyer.  Even Cobi doesn't use the same scale for airplanes and ships.  I agree that would be silly.