(Putting this together rather hastily)

There has been very brief mention in the Creator thread of a new 18+ Titanic model for 2021, rumours having been leaked in the last 24 hours.  Considering that the last ship LEGO made in an expert style was the Maersk one, which I missed, I'm particularly excited about this one.  Thanks to @VanIslandLego for this one.

No other info is known.

Discuss below.

Edited by Vilhelm22

Just now, LettuceBrick said:

If true, it'll surely be an unsinkable seller! (Too soon?)

Hahaha.  Absolutely unsinkable!  It'll probably be pretty large so I can't wait to see it!

Just now, Vilhelm22 said:

Absolutely unsinkable!  

Let's just hope there's not like a shipping container of them that gets swept overboard and washes up on a beach somewhere...

4 minutes ago, LettuceBrick said:

Let's just hope there's not like a shipping container of them that gets swept overboard and washes up on a beach somewhere...

Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Vilhelm22

I'm expecting the set to be at the $250 price point. It's understandable how many people probably wants a cheaper one but it would be impossible to capture all the details at a small scale.

Years later I still kick myself for not grabbing the last Maersk instore...

Anyway, whilst this definitely sounds an interesting build at this scale and the subject is fascinating (even more when I have family links), I’m not sure I’d personally want to display a model of a ship in which 1500 people lost their lives.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has a similar part count to the Colosseum. LEGO seems to be getting pretty comfortable with these huge sets.

4 minutes ago, caiman0637 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it has a similar part count to the Colosseum. LEGO seems to be getting pretty comfortable with these huge sets.

Comfortable isn’t the word I’d use.

It won’t be anywhere near Colosseum big though, as @Vilhelm22 suggested, it’ll be Maersk-sized and priced accordingly.

I remember seeing an alternate brand set model of Titanic, 1:300 scale and only 3000 pieces. So I can totally see a Lego kit being big, impressive, and not necessarily breaking the bank. I really hope this rumour is true, Titanic is one of the few ships I have ever had an interest in.

Only one question though... would they include the iceberg?

7 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Comfortable isn’t the word I’d use.

It won’t be anywhere near Colosseum big though, as @Vilhelm22 suggested, it’ll be Maersk-sized and priced accordingly.

You sound so sure...

Just now, NathanR said:

I remember seeing an alternate brand set model of Titanic, 1:300 scale and only 3000 pieces. So I can totally see a Lego kit being big, impressive, and not necessarily breaking the bank. I really hope this rumour is true, Titanic is one of the few ships I have ever had an interest in.

Iceberg? No way. The Titanic is already controversial, and including the reason 1500 people died? Not such a good idea.

1 hour ago, caiman0637 said:

Iceberg? No way. The Titanic is already controversial, and including the reason 1500 people died? Not such a good idea.

They may include it since it would make the set feel much more complete.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they included the iceberg. Was it a tragedy? Sure, it was. But it's not gonna offend me if they include the iceberg.

Are you all mad? No way they’d include the iceberg (what would that even look like?!) 

It’s in poor taste for an already controversial set. Look what happened with Jabba’s Palace.

30 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Perhaps, but I think of this set as being a display model on a stand, where an iceberg would not work.

I've always wanted LEGO to officially make a ocean liner, like the original Queen Mary or the Titanic. I even made my own custom four funnel ocean liner, named the RMS Acadia, though I would've loved to make the Titanic instead. (too expensive for my budget in 2011.)

So this news is fantastic for the Titanic fanatic in me! (I've been watching the 1950's Titanic movie, "A Night to Remember" on DVD / VHS, on the anniversary of sinking since as long as I can remember, so I'm really, really excited about this!)

6083pb01.png

EDIT: You guys who want the iceberg, can use this part or or it's plain white version as a starting point for that, like I did with my ship.

Edited by Murdoch17

3 hours ago, NathanR said:

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

That's not even a question. To include an iceberg is entirely distasteful and pretty much a sign of disrespect or even mockery. Titanic is entirely a complete ship by itself. An iceberg isn't necessary in any stretch to make it 'complete' or to make people realise what ship it is. 4 funnel ship, most people associate that with the Titanic. No need for iceberg-the reason many people lost their lives. 

Is it controversial to make the ship itself though? Enough time has gone by, for it to definitely not be controversial. That's taking it too far and playing into the 'I'ma be offended on behalf of....' category. The ship itself was a piece of art, and deserves to be remembered. Sure, TLG going to make money off a tragic ship, but at the same time, it'll provide a nice subject for people to discuss and look at/display, provoke history lessons to those less in the know about it.

There's taking being offended about something too far, and then there's simply being plainly disrespectful. The ship is the former, the iceberg is the latter.

3 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

There's taking being offended about something too far, and then there's simply being plainly disrespectful. The ship is the former, the iceberg is the latter.

Thank you for being a voice of reason. I completely agree with your assessment. The Titanic would make a neat display piece. I would love to see it in person at a Lego store if they do make it, but my collection is based almost entirely around a city setup but I don't have enough room for a harbor, airport or spaceport so the Titanic would be a pass for me.

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Look what happened with Jabba’s Palace.

I don't know how I always forget about this, search, remember and then think: "why wouldn't they be angry at Star Wars and not Lego?"

On topic I agree, no way there's an iceberg.

15 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Anyway, whilst this definitely sounds an interesting build at this scale and the subject is fascinating (even more when I have family links), I’m not sure I’d personally want to display a model of a ship in which 1500 people lost their lives.

I don't think Lego really have a problem with depicting historical tragedies or violent deaths: the colosseum wasn't exactly used to host Roman Empire tea parties.

But I do get the point: anyone for a Lego set of the Titanic, it can break apart and you can have family fun depicting the drowning deaths of predominantly poorer people, who weren't given priority to the limited number of lifeboats? Hmmm, not sure.

13 hours ago, NathanR said:

Well that might be the GWP.

In seriousness, I agree with @Fuppylodders, the iceberg isn't necessary and would make it feel like a playset almost, and it would be mocking the titanic.

9 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

the ship itself was a piece of art, and deserves to be remembered

I agree completely.

What I don't understand though is why they didn't pick one of the thousand of other aesthetically pleasing ships in the world that aren't associated with sinking.

An accurately detailed display model which is marketed tastefully certainly shouldn't cause controversy or offence, but why not avoid the controversy altogether and have a different ship. TLG's line of accurate ships is, well . . . non-existent, outside of Maersk, so surely it would sell well.

I also share the opinion that it should not be able to break apart, or come with an iceberg.  10276 didn't come with gladiators, the cause of death there - so why would the Titanic come with an iceberg?  I also think that it will be displayed in much the same way as that Roman warship on IDEAS recently, I think in the review stage right now.  On stilts as a display piece, rather than simply on a base.

I think that if there's a gift with purchase it could either be a miniature of the Titanic, or something related to White Star Line...

3 hours ago, Stuartn said:

What I don't understand though is why they didn't pick one of the thousand of other aesthetically pleasing ships in the world that aren't associated with sinking.

An accurately detailed display model which is marketed tastefully certainly shouldn't cause controversy or offence, but why not avoid the controversy altogether and have a different ship. TLG's line of accurate ships is, well . . . non-existent, outside of Maersk, so surely it would sell well.

Very few ships are as iconic or recognizable to the general public as the Titanic. Having a very well-known movie take place in the ship probably helps with that.

I had no idea my question about the iceberg would provoke such strong responses, I had naively thought that a brick-built iceberg would be seen as a nothing more than some dark humour in the set. It's been genuinely interesting hear your viewpoints, and definitely something to reflect on.

6 hours ago, Stuartn said:

But I do get the point: anyone for a Lego set of the Titanic, it can break apart and you can have family fun depicting the drowning deaths of predominantly poorer people, who weren't given priority to the limited number of lifeboats? Hmmm, not sure.

Actually, I remember once seeing a Lego Ideas project featuring a model of Titanic that had the "play-feature" of being able to split in two and be displayed mid-sinking. The hinge mechanism was technically clever, but the designer came in for an awful lot of criticism and I believe he ended up pulling the project himself.

Hello everybody!

I've been viewing these forums since 2016 but this rumor convinced me to join this community now. I cannot put into words how much I am excited for this set if it indeed is coming! Ever since I was a kid I had been fascinated by the Titanic and its history that I spent many hours learning all there is to know about this ship. I remember wanting a Lego model 10+ years ago, and wanting to have one I made my own mocs (If you can even call them that). I even came across a very nice moc a few months ago but ultimately decided not to buy the instructions as it would end up too expensive with all the pieces involved. The Olympic class liners truly are the most beautiful vessels man has ever created it's really a shame none are still around.

Wow, this year is definitely shaping up to be the best year for Lego and I can't believe there will be a set I want more than any of the amazing star wars sets rumored to come out later this year!

When do rumors for these large D2C sets actually get 100% confirmed? I know I shouldn't hype myself too much but I just can't resist. I can't wait to replace my budget cardboard Titanic model with this beauty!