Just out of curiosity I wanted to know how big the model would be should its length be exactly 1 meter. This is the rumoured size I've been seeing floating around. Doing some basic googling and math the results are: length = 100 cm, width/ beam = 10,48 cm, height (keel to top of the funnels) = 18 cm 

Having a Titanic RC model, which is 88 cm long I can get an even better idea of the size in real life. The thing that bothers me is that 12000 piece count. Unless the hull is made entirely out of only 1x2 plates or similar pieces, that simulate the actual steel plates of the hull or a lot of side builds, which is unlikely in my opinion, I just don't see where all these supposed 12000 pieces fit. There will be a lot of small elements used, sure, especially on deck but still I don't see where 12000 pieces fit.

Based on my observations and information we have so far I'd say these are the options regarding the rumoured piece count, one or many may be true: 

- the model is longer than 1 meter (plausible in my opinion), 

- the model has some of the features we haven't had any leaked information about, thus increasing the price and/or piece count (e.g. lighting kit - to my understanding no leak so far mentioned it, it was just pure speculation from the community),

- there are more side builds (unlikely in my opinion, besides a stand), 

- the rumoured piece count and price are wrong (I'd say piece count has a better chance of being wrong but both could be wrong in the end - I know the price was confirmed by several leakers but we really can't know for certain until the set is revealed),  

- there are a lot of small elements used in the build, where larger elements could be also used, thus artificially increasing the piece count (e.g. in the hull - but this is very unlikely in my opinion, it acts in no interest of TLG as far as I can see), or

- some new building techniques will be used that could somehow justify the price and 12000 pieces. 

This is only my 2 cents. I'm really interested to see the actual model

I don't know how likely it would be buy how cool would it be to be able to, say, lift one or both of the dome covers and see the Grand Staircases, or take a side of the hull off and see various rooms.

Lower-able lifeboats and/or anchors could be cool.

Lets see, where else could pieces go 🤔

Seeing the engines would be cool- oh! Make them motorized!

If there's a lighting system, maybe there are 1x1 round transparent pieces behind all the portholes to diffuse the light?

My initial reaction to the high piece count was that this might just be a mosaic, like the world map, but the high price suggests an actual model ship. I had some thoughts about scale a while back:

On 6/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, NathanR said:

Scale might be guessed based on the parts needed to build the funnels. To keep in system, they have to be either 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 round bricks (the 3x3 were new last year for the 75301 X-Wing). As the original funnels were 22 feet in diameter, or 6.7 metres, that puts the possible scales at about 1:418, 1:280, or 1:209, for a final Lego model size of either 0.65m, 0.96m or 1.28m.

Given the price of $650, it's cheaper than the UCS Millennium Falcon and UCS Star Destroyer but has significantly more parts. This implies very few of the large plates that dominate the Star Destroyer (high cost, low part count). Since another brick company did a pretty good job on a 3000 piece model that was 3ft long, I think my estimated size of 4ft (1.28m) is probably the correct one. Using bricks like the 1x1 headlight as a porthole would dramatically inflate piece count, but still be relatively cheap to include due to the quantity. 

My biggest fear at this point is that they show the ship "under steam", with a large holding frame and 1000s of 1x1 trans blue round plates scattered around the ship to represent the water.

I think it would be great if the announcement was made either in Belfast or the Lego Store in Southhampton.  Something this historic deserves this type of reveal.  I can see how it could be 12000 pieces or more, especially if they do the full ship.  There would certainly need to be a steady support system to rest the model on.  There will probably be a lot of interior support pieces that we will not see on the outside.  There is plenty of room on the decks and around the ship to devote a lot of attention to detail.  I would not expect an interior, although they might have a partial reveal here and there to show some of the more interesting areas.  That might include the bridge, the grand staircase area, and maybe even a way to remove part of the hull to see the actual engine room and boiler areas.  

Wonder what's with the piece-count discrepancy. Then again, I'm not too sure how leaks work, behind the scenes.

Yeah, 9090 pieces seems a lot more believable than 12,000. I'd say that definitely kills all hope of an interior, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a small section like the Grand Staircase, but even the Taj Mahal didn't have any interior detail (although that is a 2008 design, to be fair). 

Imagine if the ship only used 1000 pieces, and the other 8000 were 1x1 transparant blue round plates for the ocean (Kinda like ship in a bottle). I don't think Lego would be that harsh on their fans 🤣

6 hours ago, Whacky Brick said:

Imagine if the ship only used 1000 pieces, and the other 8000 were 1x1 transparant blue round plates for the ocean (Kinda like ship in a bottle). I don't think Lego would be that harsh on their fans 🤣

Don't give them any ideas!

I've been thinking about the scale of the model again and tried to use a single existing piece to represent the scale. I used 6041 propeller and if my math is correct (the exact dimensions of Titanic's propellers are a bit ambiguous) the model would be around 103 cm long, if proportions are kept pretty much intact. I could totally see TLG using these propellers and making the model bigger and honestly I don't think many people would notice and or even complain. What this calculation indicates in reality, I'm not sure but I like to speculate. Could TLG introduce new propeller piece, slightly bigger than the one mentioned? Not very likely in my opinion, since existing propellers are pretty much of the right shape. I think these propellers will be used but the scale will be a bit off, since the model will probably be a bit longer than 103 cm. Not an issue in my opinion

20 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

I used 6041 propeller and if my math is correct (the exact dimensions of Titanic's propellers are a bit ambiguous) the model would be around 103 cm long, if proportions are kept pretty much intact. I could totally see TLG using these propellers and making the model bigger and honestly I don't think many people would notice and or even complain.

Interesting! One of the hallmarks of creator expert sets is that they try to use existing pieces in creative ways. I could totally see that propeller getting used here, and with a 103cm titanic, that would allow the new 3x3 round bricks 73111 to almost perfectly represent the funnels. 

3 hours ago, NathanR said:

Interesting! One of the hallmarks of creator expert sets is that they try to use existing pieces in creative ways. I could totally see that propeller getting used here, and with a 103cm titanic, that would allow the new 3x3 round bricks 73111 to almost perfectly represent the funnels. 

Using a propeller as a propeller qualifies as interesting part usage?

3 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Maybe everyone has their own opinions on what qualifies as interesting part usage?

31 minutes ago, CSX9992 said:

Has there any news on it besides what’s been mentioned here?

Only what’s been mentioned on here so far, but if the rumoured November 1st official release date is true, even the 20th October VIP early release date, we’re sure to have some leaks or official confirmation very soon. Any day now perhaps? Only time will tell :)

16 hours ago, TitanGuy1 said:

Maybe everyone has their own opinions on what qualifies as interesting part usage?....

Sure. Just like other things, everyone has their own opinion.  I recently finished a Speed Champions set. The set used four tires as tires.  I found it to be quite clever and endlessly interesting. I will never forget the technique which was used.

1 hour ago, Friscorays said:

Sure. Just like other things, everyone has their own opinion.  I recently finished a Speed Champions set. The set used four tires as tires.  I found it to be quite clever and endlessly interesting. I will never forget the technique which was used.

Yeah… this isn’t the place to be patronising buddy. Not sure why you’re being sarcastic either when I was merely defending an earlier response from another user which you appeared to also attack. Keep it topic relevant or don’t post at all. Otherwise admins will remove you.

Can we not minimod? Thanks.

And while I sure you are patting your back for being the wit of the century @Friscorays, but you don't need to keep pushing the sarcastic replies, derailing the thread.

23 hours ago, Friscorays said:

19 hours ago, TitanGuy1 said:

Maybe everyone has their own opinions on what qualifies as interesting part usage?

Sorry, I should have perhaps been clearer. But yes, I do find it interesting that Lego could use a propeller as a propeller for this set :classic:. You see this locks the size of the model to 1m long, based on my own and @Alpha Draconis's estimates. Any other scale would need either a new propeller mould, or a brick-built solution which would almost certainly look ugly at this scale. And if the propeller could be used on the model, it suggests that Lego might be giving us the full hull, rather than just the bit of Titanic above the waterline. And if we have the full hull, that suggests the model will be on a display plinth, rather than on a brick-built tray filled with a thousand 1x1 round plates representing the ocean. Meaning that all those 9090 pieces are going into the ship itself, and making a hyper detailed model.

Now all of what I just said is pure speculation extrapolated from the potential use of a single part.  But it is for sure exciting to think about!

I know it's just speculation anyway, but I'm not sure pinning it on the propeller really says too much about the scale of the model. While a certain degree of accuracy is to be expected from such a high class model, I wouldn't count it beyond possible for LEGO to have the propeller slightly out of scale to the rest of the model if it allows easy use of a piece and I wouldn't even put them at fault there. The propellers don't really seem such a hugely characteristic feature to me and I doubt many would notice if the propeller fits more to a 1.20m, 1m or 0.80m model. So even IF the propeller was confirmed, I don't think it'd say too much about the precise scale. Of course it would speak against a waterline model, but to be honest, I wouldn't expect much else than a full hull from a 9000 parts LEGO Titanic anyway.

Edited by Rauy

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Can we not minimod? Thanks.

And while I sure you are patting your back for being the wit of the century @Friscorays, but you don't need to keep pushing the sarcastic replies, derailing the thread.

Yeah that’s what I meant, there’s no need for their negativity towards the other users from @Friscorays :) no harm done. Otherwise I’m enjoying the forum and the discussions 😊

Take the following with a grain of salt: images of supposed titanic set have just started to appear on Instagram. I don't trust it but so far I haven't been able to find anything wrong with it

Update: There's a blue pin connecting the front mast to the deck - this leak just might be real since TLG these days seems to make pins only of blue colour :grin:

Edited by Alpha Draconis

That's legit 100%

Damn it looks good. A great piece for display!

Maybe the iceberg will be the GWP? 

Edited by Robert8

Wow.  I’m truly blown away by this beautiful build.  I’ll definitely be picking it up - a must buy in my book.  I wasn’t expecting it to look that good and it’s definitely better than its competitor.  

12 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

Take the following with a grain of salt: images of supposed titanic set have just started to appear on Instagram. I don't trust it but so far I haven't been able to find anything wrong with it

If you’re talking about BriqFoundation, Mark is an incredibly reliable source, and I trust him completely.  This is real.