I have seen two MOCs of Titanic in recent years. Last year, a show had a display that featured Titanic and some other ships that showed the relay of ice warning and SOS telegraphs. Strangely, no Carpathia on the table. Another was minifig scale and built by Brickman, a certified professional, and showed the ship mid-break, with her stern in the air, with decks and water filled with minifigures. It also showed the break, and had cabins etc visible between the walls of the ship. Neither came across as distasteful or disrespectful towards the victims or the survivors.

Personally, I would love to buy one, and would also like to see a representation of how she looks today, after almost 110 years under water.

3 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

I have seen two MOCs of Titanic in recent years. Last year, a show had a display that featured Titanic and some other ships that showed the relay of ice warning and SOS telegraphs. Strangely, no Carpathia on the table. Another was minifig scale and built by Brickman, a certified professional, and showed the ship mid-break, with her stern in the air, with decks and water filled with minifigures. It also showed the break, and had cabins etc visible between the walls of the ship. Neither came across as distasteful or disrespectful towards the victims or the survivors.

Personally, I would love to buy one, and would also like to see a representation of how she looks today, after almost 110 years under water.

Don’t suppose you took pics? 

9 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

I did specifically say the UCS fighters are not to scale to one another.  Many of them are "close enough" but some are just obviously "wrong."  I would never expect a fighter to be in true scale with a Star Destroyer.  Even Cobi doesn't use the same scale for airplanes and ships.  I agree that would be silly.

Well, that's why I said a fraction of the models. Not really needed to scale the A-wing to the X-wing if the latter can't be scaled well with the Falcon etc

Anyway, this is getting kind of off topic, let's return to the Titanic :grin:

1 hour ago, Stefanisimo said:

Well, that's why I said a fraction of the models. Not really needed to scale the A-wing to the X-wing if the latter can't be scaled well with the Falcon etc

Anyway, this is getting kind of off topic, let's return to the Titanic :grin:

See that is where I disagree, the UCS fighters should be scaled to the UCS Falcon.

Cobi already having a line of 1:300 scaled brick built ships including the Titanic makes this interesting.  Is the rumored Lego Titanic going to capture the non-AFOL market when Cobi already has a Titanic on shelves that may very well be viewed as superior?  Lego has a really high bar to clear on this specific model to capture the general non-AFOL market.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:19 AM, Stefanisimo said:

Isn't it that just a bunch of companies own the salvage rights but nothing more than that? Technically if someone were somehow to salvage the entire ship they would be able to claim ownership over it?

Hype levels just exploded! :excited:

At the risk of taking this way off topic, salvage rights are rights granted by the owner to a salvage company to recover a vessel.  If no one has been granted the salvage rights then any salvage company can attempt to salvage the vessel.  Once salvaged they can attempt to claim a set value of the vessel from the owner as payment for the salvage.  The owner then either pays them 50% of the value of the recovery, or abandons the vessel to the salver.  Granting rights to a salvage company usually ends up saving the owner a lot of money vs letting the law of the sea take effect.  In the case of the Titanic ownership transferred from the JP Morgan group to the insurance companies as part of the insurance settlement.  In this way the insurance companies then have the ability to control the salvage rights and the ability to recover anything of value to offset their monetary losses due to the insurance payout.  I would need to do some digging but I don't believe the insurance companies bothered with granting salvage rights to any company as they knew at the time it was technically impossible to salvage anything from the ship given the depth of the water. 

Back on topic, my daughter keeps asking me when can we go buy it.  I am not sure I will be able to handle months of constant nagging.

4 hours ago, MSY-MSP said:

At the risk of taking this way off topic, salvage rights are rights granted by the owner to a salvage company to recover a vessel.  If no one has been granted the salvage rights then any salvage company can attempt to salvage the vessel.  Once salvaged they can attempt to claim a set value of the vessel from the owner as payment for the salvage.  The owner then either pays them 50% of the value of the recovery, or abandons the vessel to the salver.  Granting rights to a salvage company usually ends up saving the owner a lot of money vs letting the law of the sea take effect.  In the case of the Titanic ownership transferred from the JP Morgan group to the insurance companies as part of the insurance settlement.  In this way the insurance companies then have the ability to control the salvage rights and the ability to recover anything of value to offset their monetary losses due to the insurance payout.  I would need to do some digging but I don't believe the insurance companies bothered with granting salvage rights to any company as they knew at the time it was technically impossible to salvage anything from the ship given the depth of the water. 

Back on topic, my daughter keeps asking me when can we go buy it.  I am not sure I will be able to handle months of constant nagging.

@MSY-MSP You have complete right from the salvage point, but the Titanic is never been salvage, only some  parts of her. Cobi have the rights over the brick build model and the 1:300 model is good and way better Lego will do, till now. Maybe the contract is end for Cobi, but Lego must do their extreme best to bring out a set of her. In the past all Lego ship sets are all bad and hope they still doing that:laugh:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

Ooo, Titatnic set? Neat! 

I love some histories (except for Cameroon’s movie, of course). 

but i must ask - do we know when it would be revealed officially/released?

On 1/25/2021 at 3:07 AM, Lord Insanity said:

See that is where I disagree, the UCS fighters should be scaled to the UCS Falcon.

Cobi already having a line of 1:300 scaled brick built ships including the Titanic makes this interesting.  Is the rumored Lego Titanic going to capture the non-AFOL market when Cobi already has a Titanic on shelves that may very well be viewed as superior?  Lego has a really high bar to clear on this specific model to capture the general non-AFOL market.

Well, since the Falcon is scaled pretty much perfectly, that would mean that UCS X-wings should be way smaller than the current ones, making them just less impressive of a display piece to begin with. The Star Wars UCS line is perfect the way it is, no need to limit themselves with unimportant constraints like that. 

5 hours ago, MSY-MSP said:

I tried to find some info about the current situation and pretty much didn't find any conclusive answer. Thanks for the in depth explanation though. It sure is complicated all things considered.

1 hour ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

@MSY-MSP You have complete right from the salvage point, but the Titanic is never been salvage, only some  parts of her. Cobi have the rights over the brick build model and the 1:300 model is good and way better Lego will do, till now. Maybe the contract is end for Cobi, but Lego must do their extreme best to bring out a set of her. In the past all Lego ship sets are all bad and hope they still doing that:laugh:

I don't think Cobi owns exclusive rights for a brick built model of the Titanic, that just seems absurd to exist given the aforementioned ownership discussion.

Why does everyone seem to think the Cobi model is better when we have 0 information about the Lego one lol. No way Lego doesn't deliver with this set. I've been waiting on Lego's official model for over a decade and I always assumed it was a matter of when, not if, for them to release it. With today's part inventory I can't wait to see what they manage to bring us. Lego is the superior brick builder and there is no reason to think their model would underperform because of Cobi. People who aren't fans of brick built systems aren't that impactful I would guess. If they want the Titanic, they would much rather opt for replica models I presume. And with Lego's presence today, the first thing a Titanic enthusiast would find on the market in most cases would be their model.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, caiman0637 said:

You sound so sure...

Iceberg? No way. The Titanic is already controversial, and including the reason 1500 people died? Not such a good idea.

Everyone who was on the ship is dead. Shit happens. 1,500 died in the last hour from covid. 1,500 people is about how many people cops murdered in the USA in 2019, LEGO still makes police stations.

8 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

but i must ask - do we know when it would be revealed officially/released?

No :wink:.  However, it's thought to be released in the second half of 2021, so probably either a July or September release, as there's often one round then.

13 hours ago, Maple said:

Everyone who was on the ship is dead. Shit happens. 1,500 died in the last hour from covid. 1,500 people is about how many people cops murdered in the USA in 2019, LEGO still makes police stations.

Point made.

But let's focus on the rumors of the ship, before this turns into a political topic :wink:

I completely agree. I can't wait to see the model and hope it's less than $200.

16 hours ago, Maple said:

About 800 people survived, mainly thanks to the brave crew and passengers of the Carpathia, who raced to assist. I realise you meant they are dead now, but it could be possible that children or grandchildren of those on the ship could still be alive.

I would suggest saying that the over 2.1 million deaths from Covid is 'sh*t happening' may be insensitive, especially to the millions of families that have lost loved ones. To be fair, that is the number of fatal shootings, not murders, and to suggest that the cases where police have unlawfully murdered people (which is very prevalent and not addressed properly) is also 'sh*t happening' is disrespectful to those who campaign for change and those who have been on the receiving end of police violence, as well most police officers.

But I actually completely agree with you, including any iceberg is unnecessary, but the colosseum has been made into a set, and many thousands of people were murdered there, as well as millions of animals killed. Police stations are also a very good example, while gun violence and isn't as prevalent outside of the US, TLG has placed a gun in a minifigure pack (albeit swiftly removing it) and the latest police sets have included crooks with dynamite. Considering such explosives are pretty much akin to bombs or IEDs, they are not exactly the most sensitive inclusions in a set, and these are playsets, not 18+ sets, which the titanic would probably be. Ambulance and fire sets also have connotations of death too, as do castle, pirates and viking sets, all of which are mainly playsets too.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I completely agree. I can't wait to see the model and hope it's less than $200.

I am looking forward to it too, if it is less than $200 US, it shouldn't be unattainable here either, and it would make a great display model. Hopefully we get a lot of ship though for the price tag. Something between 30-45cm would be ideal and not unrealistic. Even though I probably won't attempt to purchase the set, it would be a good inspiration for small scale boat mocs.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

But let's focus on the rumors of the ship, before this turns into a political topic

No worries, I just wanted to briefly rationalise the opinions provided on this forum. As a person who has experience in healthcare the Covid part of the comment I couldn't ignore.

I will happily remove if you request.

But more on topic, do we reckon it will be a full hull, or a waterline model?

Edited by Stuartn

35 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

But more on topic, do we reckon it will be a full hull, or a waterline model?

Full hull I reckon, like the Maersk. Not only would it look more complete, it would also give the opportunity of extra internal and external details such as screws, boilers and engines.

BTW, I found this interesting article about the propulsion system of the Titanic: http://www.titanicology.com/Titanica/TitanicsPrimeMover.htm

On 1/26/2021 at 9:09 PM, Stefanisimo said:

Well, since the Falcon is scaled pretty much perfectly, that would mean that UCS X-wings should be way smaller than the current ones, making them just less impressive of a display piece to begin with. The Star Wars UCS line is perfect the way it is, no need to limit themselves with unimportant constraints like that.

I don't think you quite understand that their are Lego fans that happen to like Star Wars and then there are Star Wars fans that happen to like Lego.  Here on Eurobricks being Lego purist is a badge of honor.  On many general toy and collectible forums being Lego purist is viewed as being an intolerant fanatic.  I think you would be surprised how often I see Star Wars fans express the hope that Lego loses the Star Wars license so Mega Construx (based on their Halo sets) or Cobi (based on their military sets) can finally offer some "real" brick based "collector's sets" that are actually to scale.  What you consider an unimportant constraint is actually quite important to a certain market share that Lego is basically ignoring right now.

Why does everyone seem to think the Cobi model is better when we have 0 information about the Lego one lol. No way Lego doesn't deliver with this set. I've been waiting on Lego's official model for over a decade and I always assumed it was a matter of when, not if, for them to release it. With today's part inventory I can't wait to see what they manage to bring us. Lego is the superior brick builder and there is no reason to think their model would underperform because of Cobi. People who aren't fans of brick built systems aren't that impactful I would guess. If they want the Titanic, they would much rather opt for replica models I presume. And with Lego's presence today, the first thing a Titanic enthusiast would find on the market in most cases would be their model.

Well actually look at the Cobi 1:300 Titanic.  The thing is 2840 pieces and almost a meter long.  Cobi has far surpassed Lego at making scale models rendered "in the brick".  The only set Lego has ever made that comes close to that quality is the Apollo 11 rocket.  Cobi and Lego have two entirely different design philosophies.  Cobi focuses on making a model to a specific scale and then sets the price accordingly.  Lego focuses on making a model to a specific price point and often uses illusion scaling to achieve the desired aesthetic.  Look at Lego's Coliseum set.  At a casual glance it looks right but if you start to really stare at it you realize the proportions are all a little wacky.  Lego's design style is brilliant for their own made up designs like Ninjago City Gardens or the upcoming Blacksmith Shop.  It often leaves a little to be desired when dealing with objects (real world or from works of fiction) that already have defined sizes and proportions.  As Lego has never made any scale model "boat" at the quality level Cobi has, I remain highly skeptical that it will be as good as the one already for sale. I would love to be proven wrong though.

You know what would be really funny.  If this entire discussion proves irrelevant because the set winds up being a mosaic picture in the Art line or something. *huh*

11 hours ago, Stuartn said:

No worries, I just wanted to briefly rationalise the opinions provided on this forum. As a person who has experience in healthcare the Covid part of the comment I couldn't ignore.

I will happily remove if you request.

We're all good! Take care :thumbup:

On 1/28/2021 at 3:50 AM, Lord Insanity said:

I don't think you quite understand that their are Lego fans that happen to like Star Wars and then there are Star Wars fans that happen to like Lego.  Here on Eurobricks being Lego purist is a badge of honor.  On many general toy and collectible forums being Lego purist is viewed as being an intolerant fanatic.  I think you would be surprised how often I see Star Wars fans express the hope that Lego loses the Star Wars license so Mega Construx (based on their Halo sets) or Cobi (based on their military sets) can finally offer some "real" brick based "collector's sets" that are actually to scale.  What you consider an unimportant constraint is actually quite important to a certain market share that Lego is basically ignoring right now.

Well actually look at the Cobi 1:300 Titanic.  The thing is 2840 pieces and almost a meter long.  Cobi has far surpassed Lego at making scale models rendered "in the brick".  The only set Lego has ever made that comes close to that quality is the Apollo 11 rocket.  Cobi and Lego have two entirely different design philosophies.  Cobi focuses on making a model to a specific scale and then sets the price accordingly.  Lego focuses on making a model to a specific price point and often uses illusion scaling to achieve the desired aesthetic.  Look at Lego's Coliseum set.  At a casual glance it looks right but if you start to really stare at it you realize the proportions are all a little wacky.  Lego's design style is brilliant for their own made up designs like Ninjago City Gardens or the upcoming Blacksmith Shop.  It often leaves a little to be desired when dealing with objects (real world or from works of fiction) that already have defined sizes and proportions.  As Lego has never made any scale model "boat" at the quality level Cobi has, I remain highly skeptical that it will be as good as the one already for sale. I would love to be proven wrong though.

You know what would be really funny.  If this entire discussion proves irrelevant because the set winds up being a mosaic picture in the Art line or something. *huh*

Well, if you find said fans on those other non Lego forums, then no, I would not be surprised. I have never met a person with such views. Lego and Star Wars go hand in hand like no other thing. If you are not into UCS sets, the majority of the releases are system scale sets which can be phenomenal. It also looks like Lego is taking a new approach with the recently scaled down versions of ships as well. 4+ sets, microfighters, system scaled sets, brickheadz, busts, UCS sets... Minifigures are also a huge part of collecting to a lot of people, myself included, and Lego is by far superior in that regards. The most sold Star Wars set in the past year, the 501st battle pack, is people buying minifigures basically. There is just so much at offer that if you can't find anything to suite your taste, well, you can just resort to making your own stuff that satisfies your criteria. These are bricks that we are talking about after all. And if somebody doesn't like that either, then the problem lies with them. Some people will never be pleased and as always, it's a vocal minority.

What other sets apart from the Maersk line has Lego made for display purposes? All other ships we get are made with play value in mind and those can be marvelous as well. Look at the Imperial Flagship for example. The after market prices are here to prove my point.

Oh God, please no. Just not a mosaic :wacko:

We need some confirmation soon lol

On 1/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, Lucarex said:

Are you all mad? No way they’d include the iceberg (what would that even look like?!) 

It’s in poor taste for an already controversial set. Look what happened with Jabba’s Palace.

Or 42113.  I am sure that is still a bad taste in their mouth given it was so recent.   I agree, no way they include it...

Thank you very much for the news! :classic:

A Titanic could indeed be great.

But what always has been fascinating me about the Titanic is less the outside of the ship but more its amazing interior. So I hope that the Lego version of it either will have one side closed and one side open to look at the interior (imo the unlikelier version) or to be closed all around but have some sections to put out to see some of the most popular interior sections like the bis stairs with the clock, the bridge, the carport, the sports room, an indoor swimming-pool, an engine room and a room of the first, second and third class - due to the size of the ship everything of course needed supposably to be built in microfigure (not minifigure) size.

Would you like some interior, too?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I would love to see interior of the ship, especially the grand staircase, boiler rooms, turkish baths etc. But then, I would also be keen to see a sunken version of her. I love seeing photos from dives that reveal how much is still intact, and what has vanished. Most recently was the crow's next, theoretically removed by a team of "treasure hunters" [grave robbers]

9 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Would you like some interior, too?

My answer would be no. Yes, an interior would be really cool, but it would have to be at a really large scale which would probably push the price up to $400.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:19 PM, Lord Insanity said:

What a strange rumor.  Cobi already makes both a 600 piece Titanic and a 2840 piece Titanic.  The larger one is done in 1:300 scale like many of the battleships Cobi makes.  Lego would have a really tough act to follow on that one.

Yes but LEGO purists will get the LEGO version regardless of which one is actually better. :laugh: