1973 Ferrari BB built. It has Steering, suspension and a flat 12 engine. Doors and rear clamshell open. Pop up headlights are controlled by the gear stick.

I used 42125 as a starting point but had to add a few parts (nothing rare or expensive).

50850172288_63fbe1be2d_z.jpgLego Technic Ferrari BB by James Tillson, on Flickr

50850993372_fdf3dbf836_z.jpgLego Technic Ferrari BB by James Tillson, on Flickr

50850990157_728fd5d11e_z.jpgLego Technic Ferrari BB by James Tillson, on Flickr

50850175233_ab7b4ea2d4_z.jpgLego Technic Ferrari BB by James Tillson, on Flickr

The chassis is 23 studs wide and will be used to make a Dino 246 and a 308 soon.

Nice one! The overall shape of the body is pretty smooth without any major gaps. The opening rear revealing the engine is very cool.

But I think the build looks like an official LEGO Set in a few places... Missing details in the engine bay and that gray panel on the front that is supposed to be some vents. Using a few more small pieces these points could easily be improved. Details created with lots of creativity and passion is what takes most Supercar MOCs way above the soulless shells LEGO is selling imo.

Very smooth bodywork indeed. The new parts from the Ferrari sure help ease building supercars both in 1:10 and 1:8 scale.

I had not intended to buy 42125, but seeing this model and reading about your plans, I may have to reconsider ... Keep up your great work! I like the pop-up lights!

Excellent!

Will the 308 be the GTB/GTS variant, or the GT4? (im hoping GTB, which is pretty much the daddy of all modern ferraris as far as im concerned)

Also, will you be making instructions available for this, or the 308/Dino? Assuming the list of added parts doesnt contain some rare/expensive stuff, i'd be willing to pay for instructions for a model like this

Very nice indeed. :)

At the rear, did you consider using 24116.png instead of 3 25214.JPG ?

2 hours ago, Anio said:

Very nice indeed. :)

At the rear, did you consider using 24116.png instead of 3 25214.JPG ?

Not sure I would agree with that.  I like the distinctive look of the three macaroni elbow pieces.  It gives a lined appearance that is unique.  Also, the edge is rounded.  With the edge panel you would have a sharp edge and the gap would not be as flush.  Also no distinctive lines created by the current solution.  

@JamesJT I bought the instructions on rebrickable and I'm working on some upgrades to this MOC while I wait for 42125 to be a little easier to find (I like to buy at my local Lego store). What's the etiquette about that? Separate WIP post with a link to this post? I will not release instructions, but I would like to post pictures of course. I'm totally happy with the purchase, just taking things a little further.

I think this is a cool looking build.  All of the bodywork just works well together.  

I really liked the body work of this MOC, better than most official sets, so it is almost all identical. Changes:

• Swapped out the popup headlights for something a little more modern, or from a racing 365
  • Hood grill is a real grill
  • Made the lower grill one stud taller using the new tiny panels at the bottom
  • Hood now opens more like the real thing, uses string to stop itself from folding open too far
  • Engine intake has more of a real grill
  • Fake carburetors
  • Fake exhaust (straight pipes!)
  • Made the whole bottom totally flat by using a half stud vertical offset for the diff. I was *really* tempted to just remove parts of the engine cylinders, but I finally found a honest way
  • Chrome exhaust tips, and it turned out to be fairly annoying to keep a black element to hold all of them

My realization after making a few versions of the front suspension is that there really needs to be significant ground clearance with this fender and tire combination. The suspension travel ended up being about half a stud.

I still need to look through my collection to find some interesting printed tiles for the instrument cluster, plus figure out if there is any hope for a transmission, but I doubt it.

AJmm3BK.jpg

cRTjVf3.jpg

pfgkFOp.jpg

VY2LYbU.jpg

I25jArp.jpg

@ralphie I really like your MODs. You did a bunch of stuff that bothered me on the original MOC.

Making a real vent into the hood and making it more smooth.

adding engine details (even though it could still be more imo).

My favorite: the exhaust system. I love to just dump like 10-20 of these maccaroni pieces in my MOCs too, for the exhaust, or intercooler piping, ...

One question tho: what did you do to the pop-up headlights? Is this just like a headlight cover with no lights underneath? That would be sad... :cry_sad:

@Gray Gear I’m not a monster, there are inner transparent bricks you can see in the first pic for fake LED bulbs. I couldn’t fit 2x 2x2 round due to a bunch of structure for the hood angle, plus the edges of the headlight cover. There is enough inside to look satisfying though.

I was originally using trans-neon green for the headlight bulb, which really shows up better through the headlight cover. I had to switch to trans-clear because 1x1 trans-neon green tiles are quite rare.