Hello, I got back into Lego during quarantine and decided to try something unique in the holiday theme. 

Here's my driving, spinning, Christmas tree. 

50858867362_5ac3b031e9_z.jpg

The top part is made with three turntables, with rotation driven by motors at the base. 
Frictionless pins and/or axles allow the "branches" to raise or lower with centripetal force. 
I know it's ugly, but I was aiming for a freaky vibe so that worked out :head_back:

Here's a short demo, with some videos of the inner workings too:

50858868457_fc2caa86fb_b.jpg

View from underneath:

50858867897_362c7314bb_b.jpg

Side detail closeup
50858767061_e833bd97fc_c.jpg

More photos:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/191824083@N05/with/50858767061/

Happy to hear your feedback and design tips. I lurked this forum for a while and learned many building tricks.

Edited by teetertater
Rehosted photos on flickr

This is kind of stupid, but pretty funny at the same time. The three looks like it was welded together from scrap metal, that's very nice. And props for motorizing each section seperately, I assumed they would just be linked togeher.

9 hours ago, Glaysche said:

This is hilarious. I love it.

:head_back:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

This is kind of stupid, but pretty funny at the same time. The three looks like it was welded together from scrap metal, that's very nice. And props for motorizing each section seperately, I assumed they would just be linked togeher.

Haha thanks, motorizing each section was an interesting challenge but not too bad if you know how to pass two inputs through the first turntable

I also love this.  I liked the juxtaposition of "christmas tree of doom" against the woman at the beginning saying something like "its kinda cute"  - the three levels of "spin" are brilliant.  The pic at the beginning of the post certainly makes the build look ominous.  Doom indeed.  Thxs for sharing...