CaptainPolluxofOrion

[WIP] "The Parrot" a small mercantile Vessel

Hi Folks,

I'm Captain Polluxx. Iam fairly new in this forum. Ok more than two years, but not very active. Iam a huge fan of the subforum Pirate theme and BoBS. Read and watched a lot in the last years.

2019 i heard of the software studio 2.0. It was a nice opportunity for me because had not much parts for building in real, besides a big collection of Minifigures.

I had much time on using Studio last year and get More or less compentent in it. I should say this not my first Shipmod i began in Studio. There are a lot in the pipeline, all in different stages of completion. Some for a maybe build in real status (Like the Parrot) but also some i think i can not afford in next 20 years with possibly 5000+ parts. I have seen a lot of your builds and also the Captain Greenhair Tutorial on Frigates. I think i will make a ship with more elaborated techniques, but not now.

Before i talk about my WIP-Ship i want to say that iam not a native english Speaker. I can understand really good but talking or writing is another thing. I hope i can make myself understood.

So the Ship. It's current name is "Parrot", its a small/medium Mercantile Vessel. Its based loosly on a Swedish Pinassship named "Papegojan" from 17 th Century. I think modelbuilders know it.

It's currently a WIP. I have some Screenshots i will post here.

It will be a playset for me and my Nephew. We have an ongoing Pirate Campaign in real time dressed as pirates, and a nice Table with a Lego Pirate Playscene would be awesome.

Feedback will be much appreciated.

Parrot Wip 1

Parrot Wip 2

Parrot Wip 3

Parrot Wip 4

Edited by CaptainPolluxofOrion

I can't help but notice "The Parrot" does not include a parrot.

Even the Caribbean Clipper had a parrot as its figurehead. :parrot:

18 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I can't help but notice "The Parrot" does not include a parrot.

Even the Caribbean Clipper had a parrot as its figurehead. :parrot:

Yes the yellow one. I have a grey one. Maybe its not good to see.

I have a new picture, more zoomed in.

Parrot Figurehead

Maybe i go on search for a yellow one. The grey one looks not very good on a colourfull Ship. Would love to see a Pearl Gold one... Please Lego make one

(Oh i forgot to say. The Cannon Design is one of Moc your Bricks Designs i have seen in his Cannon Vid on youtube.)

13 hours ago, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

Yes the yellow one. I have a grey one. Maybe its not good to see.

I have a new picture, more zoomed in.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thorwaldblacksmith194/50858886681/in/dateposted/

I follow that link and get taken to the following page:

image.png

Adult content? :pir_wacko: What is this parrot doing? :pir_laugh2:

13 hours ago, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

Maybe i go on search for a yellow one.

Since you're building digitally, can't you just change the colour of the parrot in the software you're using?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

image.png

Since you're building digitally, can't you just change the colour of the parrot in the software you're using?

oops. What link i have send to you?

I the Parrot is doing fine, i hope. Have to look for myself whats the matter with that link....

Yeah you are right. But i want to built it in real. So i have to use parts i have or that i could get easily. For the aesthetic purpose i have changed it in my software.

Thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

image.png

So now i know whats the problem. The security status of the picture was on not save. So flickr thought its adult material... Changed it, now its ok.

1 hour ago, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

So now i know whats the problem. The security status of the picture was on not save. So flickr thought its adult material... Changed it, now its ok.

I'm still having problems... but it's best to post photos directly in topic anyway.

image.png

So this ship looks terrific.  Slightly heavily armed for a merchant ship of this size, but otherwise terrific.  It's a good use of the small hull, which we don't see very much of, plus good hull widening and tumblehome.  Very well done!

You might want to play with the colors a bit, though.  It looks good digitally, but red on blue might not look that great when you actually build her.

13 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

So this ship looks terrific.  Slightly heavily armed for a merchant ship of this size, but otherwise terrific.  It's a good use of the small hull, which we don't see very much of, plus good hull widening and tumblehome.  Very well done!

You might want to play with the colors a bit, though.  It looks good digitally, but red on blue might not look that great when you actually build her.

Thanks for your Feedback. :) Yes, 6 Cannons (5, one is not on board) is heavly armed for a mercant Ship, what in Reality would be less than 20 meters (without Galleon and bowsprit) I maybe overthink it. And do one less piece port on each side and give it maybe two more swivel guns. I had seen designs on this side. (and made a design myself last night.) The thing with the colour is a good point. Red and blue is also not my cup of tea. I thought of blue and bright light orange.... I also think that the galleon is too simple looking. I looked over some pictures of the Kalmar Nyckel. I will try to replicate it.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Nyckel#/media/Datei:Kalamar_Nycel_bow_figurehead.jpg

So i made a new Bowsprite/Galleon today.

Here is a picture. Its far from the Photo but better than the last one. I wonder if its a liitle to big for the Ship.

New GalleonBowspriteFigurehead

Its not ready i have to finetune a bit. Dont know if i use the 32200 ...

Personally, I like red white and blue. Looks very "Lego" to me, and it would stand out from all the brown that we typically see in Pirates theme stuff (and I just like colorful stuff in general). But whatever colors you go with, I'm looking to seeing a physical build of this! 1600's ships are very cool, and I like your build.

7 hours ago, Man with beard said:

Personally, I like red white and blue. Looks very "Lego" to me, and it would stand out from all the brown that we typically see in Pirates theme stuff (and I just like colorful stuff in general). But whatever colors you go with, I'm looking to seeing a physical build of this! 1600's ships are very cool, and I like your build.

I tried some other combinations. Dont know which to choose. Maybe i let the combination stay at it is. Thanks man! :classic: Iam a big fan of 17th century ships. So much decoration and a smoothness. Very aestethic pleasing. Hope its not too far away for a real representation. When its digitally ready i have to aquire some parts. Over 800 now.

5 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

This ship is very very nice, I especially like the stern. 

Thanks man. :classic: Much apprechiated.

Six guns is fine if you want to say she's not a merchant ship.  You could drop the aft ports, but color the ship like it's there, so you have dummy ports to maybe scare off some people.  Or, really, just ignore me and leave the ports, but not have guns there so the space can be used for storage.  Now that I'm thinking more about it, my comment on that part was kinda dumb.

I don't think the problem with the galleon is that it's too big, I think that the parrot is too small by comparison.  Maybe try a brick built one, if you can figure out how to make one small enough.  I'm looking at figurehead ideas as well, that aren't just a minifig, for a project I'll be starting soon.  They can be difficult.

The idea with the dummyports is really interesting. I read an article on the full rigged Pinnace (The Parrot should be a medium size version of this type). Some of them had dummy ports. I think let the colour stay at it is. With some added details maybe.

Yeah you maybe right. I also thought about a brickbuilt one.

Nice work with the studio 2.0 software. You succeeded in the shape of the ship, it has similarities with the Papegojan. You made your own ship out of this.:pir-huzzah2:

First I was very impressed that you managed to get 3 mast on it but then I realized you have even used 3 of the middle hull parts! I like the ship and the small hull pieces make them very sleeky. I like the sieds and especially the stern, probably you can add some more detailed pattern on the stern with all the new 1x1 tiles (1/4 cirle etc.). Would nice to see it once in real bricks with some rigging!

16 hours ago, NOD said:

Nice work with the studio 2.0 software. You succeeded in the shape of the ship, it has similarities with the Papegojan. You made your own ship out of this.:pir-huzzah2:

Thanks Nod, its a big compliment. Its Much appreciated :pir-huzzah1: Nevertheless I have much to do on Figurehead and Galleon. Iam not really satisfied with the Shape. Do you know a little brick built version of a parrot?

5 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

First I was very impressed that you managed to get 3 mast on it but then I realized you have even used 3 of the middle hull parts! I like the ship and the small hull pieces make them very sleeky. I like the sieds and especially the stern, probably you can add some more detailed pattern on the stern with all the new 1x1 tiles (1/4 cirle etc.). Would nice to see it once in real bricks with some rigging!

Thanks Stoertebricker :pir-classic: (awesome Nickname), yes i found two small white hull pieces on Brickscout. 2 years ago i managed to buy a not fully complete Version of the Imperial Armada "Flagship". When i first used Studio 2.0 i a 12 wide Ship with 3 Middle Hullpieces was the first i wanted to build. Same time i used Brickscout the first time and searched for 2 additional Hullpieces. I was very happy when i found them. The first version of the ship was to high above for a ship this wide. I had to reduce its height quite a bit. The Tutorial by Captain Green Hair was very helpfull. (Vorher hatte ich noch nicht bedacht das die Decks ja nicht komplett eine Linie haben sondern besonders am Heck aber auch am Bug etwas nach oben gehen. )

I think its a good idea to build more decoration on the Stern. Its build after an 17. th Century Ship to there must be a lot decoration.

I could manage the real one in May i think maybe later. Have to aquire a lot of pieces for it. I have enough Mastpieces, anchors and Steering Wheels for the Parrot and i think 1 other Ship, but not enough Bricks, Slopes... When i get to Rigging i have to ask many questions because i have no idea, nor expertise to make it myself. Is there a tutorial on Rigging you can reccommend?

On 1/23/2021 at 12:49 AM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

So i made a new Bowsprite/Galleon today.

Here is a picture. Its far from the Photo but better than the last one. I wonder if its a liitle to big for the Ship.

New GalleonBowspriteFigurehead

Oh, that's a nicely build up galleon. I like the attached plates for the extra volume it gives. You could attach a sort of walkspace to it for the sailors to rig the jib.

4 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Oh, that's a nicely build up galleon. I like the attached plates for the extra volume it gives. You could attach a sort of walkspace to it for the sailors to rig the jib.

Thank you :pir-huzzah2: Yeah thats a good idea.

So I think I figured out what exactly is bothering me, and that's the large areas of single colors, rather than the colors themselves.  Given the lines of the ship, it seems to be from the earlier half of the Age of Sail.  As such, it might be a good idea to add some checkerboard patterns in a few places.  My own ships tend to feature them, though my ships are from the later part of that period, and isn't exactly accurate on mine.  But it looks really great, hence the recommendation :-)

17 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

So I think I figured out what exactly is bothering me, and that's the large areas of single colors, rather than the colors themselves.  Given the lines of the ship, it seems to be from the earlier half of the Age of Sail.  As such, it might be a good idea to add some checkerboard patterns in a few places.  My own ships tend to feature them, though my ships are from the later part of that period, and isn't exactly accurate on mine.  But it looks really great, hence the recommendation :-)

Thanks for the recommendation. :pir-huzzah2: You are right the fields of single colour are bothering me too. Can you show me a picture of one of your ships with checkerboard patterns?

I think i can also make some outside vertical bracing like on some Carracks i have seen. But maybe its to old for a ship from the 1600s.

What?  You'd like to see some of MY work?  Well, don't mind if I do!

26894590679_4227f8795c_k.jpg

I'd also recommend checking out this sweet ride: 

On 2/4/2021 at 3:37 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

What?  You'd like to see some of MY work?  Well, don't mind if I do!

26894590679_4227f8795c_k.jpg

I'd also recommend checking out this sweet ride: 

Wow really nice Ships. I now know what you mean with checkerboard on a ship. :pir-huzzah2:

Oh yes, i had seen the Revenge by maydayartist before. Awesome Built!!! :pir-love: