Sign in to follow this  
Coola1

[TC19] Yellow Bike

When I saw it was a motorcycle contest, I thought it would be fun to give it a go.

I've never made a bike before, and I have very little knowledge about motorbikes in general.

Given that I don't have any technic bike sets, I chose these wheels I got from an old creator set. As such the wheels sort of determined the scale I would be working on.

image1.jpg

The easiest way of making the front suspension was with these long hard shocks. They're actually kind of too hard, the body flexes more than the springs do. Rear suspension is just one normal shock absorber, I'm really happy with how it feels but the problem is the way it's set up the rear is kind of bulky, still needs some work (the whole rear setup is temporary I just wanted to test the suspension).

image2.jpg

As I don't have any chain parts, the simplest way I could think of making the drivetrain work was a rubber band (hopefully I can find an appropriately sized one soon lol).

I don't really have any knowledge about bike engines or transmissions so I just went with a basic V2. I also tried a simple one piston engine, but figured I could fit in another piston without it getting too bulky. I might even change it back later, I'm still not 100% sure about what I want.

image0.jpg

This is all still a rough mock-up that I put together in a few days, I hope to get some more work into making it sturdier and prettier as well as figuring out how I'm gonna shape the rear.

But overall I already have all the functions I was hoping to fit into the bike, and I'm quite happy with how it's going along. Still need to think of a name as well.

Well that's it from me for now, any comments and suggestions are welcome!

That V engine is OK, I suppose, single cylinder won't look so good.

It looks pretty OK, somehow oldscool, as it would be made originally at least some 10 years ago by Lego.

I'm not shure, that You will find original rubber band that size, and that could be an issue.

OK, there are pretty long original rubber bands, but maybe getting chain would be easyer.

Neat, looks like an antique Honda mini bike. Maybe not the scale you are going for, but the tires and big tail give it that vibe.

I have finished building and I've made an entry post for my bike. I've decided to call it the Silverback Rider, I think you can see why from looking at the pictures of it.

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

There are more pictures in the entry post as well as this brickshelf folder: https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=582042

On 1/19/2021 at 4:24 AM, Jurss said:

That V engine is OK, I suppose, single cylinder won't look so good.

It looks pretty OK, somehow oldscool, as it would be made originally at least some 10 years ago by Lego.

I'm not shure, that You will find original rubber band that size, and that could be an issue.

OK, there are pretty long original rubber bands, but maybe getting chain would be easyer.

I didn't know there were so many different original Lego rubber bands, thanks for sharing this link. In the contest rules it said we could use 3rd party rubber bands, so that's what I ended up doing to save me the trouble of buying something. I couldn't really fit panels, so it definitely has an oldschool feel with only beams, I like it though.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, ralphie said:

Neat, looks like an antique Honda mini bike. Maybe not the scale you are going for, but the tires and big tail give it that vibe.

Yeah, I can definitely see the resemblance lol. I think the final version looks a bit less like it cause of the flatter tail.

19 minutes ago, Coola1 said:

I couldn't really fit panels, so it definitely has an oldschool feel with only beams, I like it though.

I dind't said that it doesn't look good ;), it looks like good old official lego motorcycle set.