Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

Review: Orc (Troll) Warrior #5618

I just received 5618 Troll (Orc) Warrior from S@H. Here's my take on it...

The set consists of an orc with mottled silver/back helmet and a pearl light grey orkish scimitar. He is accompanied by a light bluish grey rat. He also has a hand cart that is laden with a projectile and a couple of pearl light grey spears.

On the plus side is the orc and his personal accoutrements. The pearl grey sword is a welcome alternative to the copper orkish blade that came in other sets. My delight that TLC has ventured full-square into fantasy still hasn't worn off and I'll forgive the fact that his face is the same as all the other orcs produced so far by TLC. Some enthusiasts may have preferred a variant though. I'm also pleased with the inclusion of the part (#4520320) that serves in this set as the haft of the projectile. It will do nicely as a torch (with the addition of a flame from another set).

On the downside, I'm disappointed by the cart. I have trouble imagining a brutish orc pushing around a little cart, even one armed with weapons. The projectile doesn't really work so kids hoping they'll be able to shoot each other may feel let down. While the spears that are stored on the cart are a useful alternative to the orc's sword, I can't help but feel that one spear would have been sufficient. I would have preferred a wider assortment of weapons and armour housed in a chest the orc had looted.

Despite its limitations, I like this set. It would have benefited from more weapons but the grey orc-forged scimitar and the torch part make up for this shortcoming. I can see this set appealing to kids seeking a foe for their knight and to army builders.

My grade: 3.5/5

Pictures to follow if/when I have time. Until then, here's a link to the official pictures.

Thanks for the review. I wasn't totally keen on the cart as it appeared a little dainty to me as well. I look forward to seeing some more pictures in the future.

A fine little set that is, quite helpful for amassing some cute Orc army.... although, perhaps something

like that soldier/knight Impulse set could be even more helpful of course, with an Orc shoulder armor

like from the 7048 TrollĀ“s Attackship and a nice shield that would be.... :cry_happy:

Man, I never even thought of using that part for a torch. You're a genius! :laugh: Thanks for the neat review, this is definately a sweet way to bolster your Troll army. However, I see the cart as an attack platform, not a weapons holder. I always thought the spears were there to impale people as the Troll merrily ran along with his cart. :grin:

~Peace

nice review for such a small set. Just because its an impulse, ill probably get it. (By that i mean that its inexpensive). and another orc to add to my very small army of castle minifigs.

On the downside, I'm disappointed by the cart. I have trouble imagining a brutish orc pushing around a little cart, even one armed with weapons. The projectile doesn't really work so kids hoping they'll be able to shoot each other may feel let down. While the spears that are stored on the cart are a useful alternative to the orc's sword, I can't help but feel that one spear would have been sufficient. I would have preferred a wider assortment of weapons and armour housed in a chest the orc had looted.

I agree with this part in particular. Also could of done with a shield.

Nice review - I personally don't think i'd use this set as an army builder.

Thanks for the review, but I personally find these little Castle and Mars Mission sets kind of stupid...

Thanks for the review, but I personally find these little Castle and Mars Mission sets kind of stupid...

... why?

Nice review Amperzand, i think i would def buy a couple of these to build up the army a bit.

... why?

My favourite type of comment......no justification

We can only assume Adam was lost for words :tongue: probably doesn't find the builds very challenging.

Do you have any thoughts on AmperZands Review, Bearheart?

Thanks for the review, I like the orc but a bit too expensive for a fig and a cart :hmpf_bad: ... love the helmet though! :tongue:

Nice review Amperzand, i think i would def buy a couple of these to build up the army a bit.

My favourite type of comment......no justification

We can only assume Adam was lost for words :tongue: probably doesn't find the builds very challenging.

Do you have any thoughts on AmperZands Review, Bearheart?

First, in response to "Why?" by BearHeart, it's because I don't like wasting money on something I can easily build at home. I Scream Clone, that's right, I don't find them challenging; they're composed of about 5 pieces (not including the fig).

Pictures to follow if/when I have time. Until then, here's a link to the official pictures.

So?

Where's the pics?

You must have had time by now :tongue:

KimT

Nice review. I agree that there should be a few more weapons, but I'll still pick it up since these impulse sets are so cheap.