evancelt

[COR - FB] Produce Farm, Wullham

Benedict Thorpe had thought it might be hard to start a produce farm in Wullham, but the rich soils on the island of Panarium meant everything he planted thrived with only basic tending.

He had planted extra carrots, onions, melons, squash, and wheat thinking not all of it would make it, but the vegetables seemingly doubled in number during the growing season. The result was he had more produce than he knew what to do with!

farm-3.jpg

As Thorpe stood pondering his good fortune, Corporal Newbury returned his dairy cow Elise who had wandered off down the track.

farm-2.jpg

farm-1.jpg

Without many trees to be found on the island, the farmer used driftwood to build his garden fences.

After Elise the cow was re-secured in her barn, the croaking of the frogs at the nearby pond helped Thorpe doze off into a nice nap.

Licensed by Wullham as a medium vegetable plantation

OoC: Wanted to try a SNOT base with darker soil colors, went with reddish-brown and dark orange, which are darker than what we commonly see in pirate builds. Also wanted to begin to establish a whitewashed architectural style for Wullham that incorporates little bits of the lavender color. I'm imagining fancier buildings will have slate roofs and more ornamental features.

Edited by evancelt

Nice work on the different vegetable patches, I also like how you included a duck pond.  Great use of wedge plates on that roof too!

9 hours ago, evancelt said:

driftwood

great idea and you did a good job portraying that by using the droid-arms. The barn is very nice as well. I love the look of it.

Nice work! I like the splashes of Lavender throughout the build. It helps tie all the Wulham builds together. I also like the earth orange path mixed in with the green grass. It's not a color that's often used for that purpose, but it works really well here. The color combo with the green is very pleasing.

While I don't dislike the brown border, it does feel kind of heavy for me. It kind of draws the eye away from the rest of the build, because it's a darker color than the colors used for the "important" part of the MOC: the pastures and house. A green border would've made everything come together more as "one" in terms of color blocking, I think. But maybe that's just me :grin:.

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Nice work on the different vegetable patches, I also like how you included a duck pond.  Great use of wedge plates on that roof too!

Thanks! The duck pond was a late addition so that I could lighten up the build a bit. As @Khorne noted, it's a bit dark and heavy with all that reddish brown soil!

1 hour ago, Fraunces said:

great idea and you did a good job portraying that by using the droid-arms. The barn is very nice as well. I love the look of it.

Thanks! I raided my 6yo's droids for their arms. Was fun to think about what a house would be made of if timber wasn't readily available.

5 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Nice work! I like the splashes of Lavender throughout the build. It helps tie all the Wulham builds together. I also like the earth orange path mixed in with the green grass. It's not a color that's often used for that purpose, but it works really well here. The color combo with the green is very pleasing.

While I don't dislike the brown border, it does feel kind of heavy for me. It kind of draws the eye away from the rest of the build, because it's a darker color than the colors used for the "important" part of the MOC: the pastures and house. A green border would've made everything come together more as "one" in terms of color blocking, I think. But maybe that's just me :grin:.

Thanks! I definitely plan on making other SNOT bases in Wullham green or tan. I made this base the soil colors both as an experiment in using that space as a vertical profile view down into the soil and because I wanted to establish that Panarium has fertile soil for growing stuff as opposed to other sandy islands. Like I mentioned above to @Kai NRG, the duck pond was a little effort to try to lighten up the overall colorspace!