Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

As long as some old-timey space or castle theme or pirates makes it into the top 3, well, that's what I'm voting for. "Classic space" is not my favorite color scheme; much rather have Ice Planet or Blacktron II or M-Tron, but, you know, Lego-original space stuff is hard to come by. Almost any castle subtheme would be amenable to me; sure, ideally I'd want something dragon-ish, but whatever; just, as long as it's a castle set that's huge and detailed, I will probably like it. If those interim results are accurate and pirates make it in... Yeah, that's where my vote is going.

Sure, if I had my druthers it would be my darling Aquazone, but I knew I was throwing my vote away when I cast it! I have no regrets!

As most of you say, it's really weird that things are split up and consolidated the way they are; really should have been big groupings of space, pirates, castle, and then if one of them wins, poll us again for a subtheme. I'm sure that space would be winning easily if it were all together, and that castle would be in the top 3 as well.

I suppose my final thoughts should be: Hopefully this isn't a one-off. Ideally, sheer number of total votes, regardless of themes, will prove some kind of overall level of demand for nostalgia-bait Lego-original sets. If it truly is one set and nothing else in this fan-voting, nostalgia-pandering direction... Well, that's too bad.

Edited by Flak Maniak

I never knew there was a perceived 'hatred' of bionicle. I understand a disinterest, I think people are taking it too far claiming bionicle community is hated. 

Bionicle just isn't my thing. I had one set, built it, found it handy you could store it built in its box, and it stayed there. 

Do I hate bionicle? Nah. It just has no appeal to me. 

Has the vote been set up entirely wrong? Hell yes. It favours bionicle fans through its very nature. Splitting all the other themes up like they did is ridiculous. Split them up later as sub themes, sure. But at this point? It shows a true picture in poor form. The entire space subset of themes should be one, as should castle, as should trains with city, and only once final 3 have been chosen, then split them up. Bionicle doesn't have to split its vote at all, many others do. I found it immediately odd that we were forced to choose a sub theme of Space from the get go. 

I don't know how they'd do a large 18+ set for bionicle. Will I be frustrated if it wins? Sure, because of the unfair nature of the layout of the voting. 

Will I hate bionicle/fans? Nah. It is what it is. And I'd be happy they got something. 

I'd be more inclined to buy the winning set if it was anything other than bionicle because the rest is all the same system, even if its something I didn't vote for. The system of bionicle just doesn't appeal to me in any stretch. 

However Im kind of understanding the perception of bionicle fans... Given how they 'appear' to feel more entitled, how they mostly didn't vote for 2 additional themes... and can't see our frustration at the unfair layout of the vote layout. 

I'd disagree with the view they didn't vote for anything else because they didn't grow up with anything else, that's codswallop. I'd more say its so they didn't provide a chance of adding votes to anything else, because they only want bionicle to win and not to assist anything else in coming close to it. 

Especially if there are a lot of accounts recently made to purely vote for it (ie; multiple accounts made by one person). Sounds like vote rigging to me. Which comes across as pathetic and childish. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

4 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I'd disagree with the view they didn't vote for anything else because they didn't grow up with anything else.

As an actual fan of Bionicle from the first year: This is exactly why I voted for it. That and bad experiences with afols in the past. It may shock people, but some people have absolutely no interest in bricks and just want to make dudes out of technic and ccbs

Just now, Kingriedak said:

As an actual fan of Bionicle from the first year: This is exactly why I voted for it. That and bad experiences with afols in the past. It may shock people, but some people have absolutely no interest in bricks and just want to make dudes out of technic and ccbs

What has bad experiences with afols in the past got to do with it? 

Just now, Fuppylodders said:

What has bad experiences with afols in the past got to do with it? 

aside from turning me off from ever getting into anything outside of constraction? you tell me

aside from turning me off from ever getting into anything outside of constraction? you tell me

How can what people are like, put you off something? That'd be like me letting the bionicle community put me off liking bionicle. I like things because I like them. I'll get something because I like it. Not because of the community. 

You don't even have to be part of a community to like something, you can like it without interacting with the community you don't like. As it is, I'd say the majority of the community are good and friendly/helpful. Just like any community. 

Are you telling me absolutely every fan of Bionicle gets on and doesn't argue/fall out and provide some form of negativity? 

I just can't get behind that way of thinking as an acceptable reason to not like something. Are you not your own person able to like what you want to like-regardless of what other people think? (ironic I'm saying that, I know!:laugh:

You should feel free to like anything, simply because you like it, regardless of the negativity-which will be found anywhere and with anything. Car community is terrible for it, but, I'll always have my favourite car regardless of the toxic attitude of some 'enthusiasts' who think anything outside of OEM or looks different, looks stupid. 

I can think of a few members on here who could easily put me in your situation of anything that isn't bionicle, with star wars, if I let it. But I don't, because they don't represent what I like. 

*edit... 

Then again... BMW drivers.... They put me off ever getting a BMW :iamded_lol:

Edited by Fuppylodders

54 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

It favours bionicle fans through its very nature.

They could have also split Adventures into different subthemes (Egypt, Jungle, Dino Island, Orient Expedition) but they chose not to, and now Adventurers is single theme available for vote. So saying that the way the vote was setup was in order to "favor" Bionicle isn't a valid assumption. Especially when you consider the fact that Bionicle got the worst representative picture in the poll, when it should have gotten a box art scan, like all of the other themes in the poll. 

58 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I'd be more inclined to buy the winning set if it was anything other than bionicle because the rest is all the same system, even if its something I didn't vote for. The system of bionicle just doesn't appeal to me in any stretch. 

If Bionicle does win, I can guarantee it's gonna be a System Bionicle set. Best case scenario, we get a re-issue of an old Bionicle Mask piece, but that would be it. Most of the Bionicle piece molds are already long retired. 

2 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

How can what people are like, put you off something? That'd be like me letting the bionicle community put me off liking bionicle. I like things because I like them. I'll get something because I like it. Not because of the community. 

You don't even have to be part of a community to like something, you can like it without interacting with the community you don't like. As it is, I'd say the majority of the community are good and friendly/helpful. Just like any community. 

Are you telling me absolutely every fan of Bionicle gets on and doesn't argue/fall out and provide some form of negativity? 

I just can't get behind that way of thinking as an acceptable reason to not like something. Are you not your own person able to like what you want to like-regardless of what other people think? (ironic I'm saying that, I know!:laugh:

You should feel free to like anything, simply because you like it, regardless of the negativity-which will be found anywhere and with anything. Car community is terrible for it, but, I'll always have my favourite car regardless of the toxic attitude of some 'enthusiasts' who think anything outside of OEM or looks different, looks stupid. 

I can think of a few members on here who could easily put me in your situation of anything that isn't bionicle, with star wars, if I let it. But I don't, because they don't represent what I like. 

*edit... 

Then again... BMW drivers.... They put me off ever getting a BMW :iamded_lol:

You really do underestimate how insufferable afols are to young bionicle fans. I only had a minor growing interest in other themes, but the early gatekeeping left a sour taste in my mouth, after that I just grew to never have a desire to explore anything lego related outside of Slizers, Roboriders, Bionicle, Hero Factory and the SW constraction sets. the only exception was using system as greeble for my mocs

Just now, Lego David said:

They could have also split Adventures into different subthemes (Egypt, Jungle, Dino Island, Orient Expedition) but they chose not to, and now Adventurers is single theme available for vote. So saying that the way the vote was setup was in order to "favor" Bionicle isn't a valid assumption. Especially when you consider the fact that Bionicle got the worst representative picture in the poll, when it should have gotten a box art scan, like all of the other themes in the poll. 

If Bionicle does win, I can guarantee it's gonna be a System Bionicle set. Best case scenario, we get a re-issue of an old Bionicle Mask piece, but that would be it. Most of the Bionicle piece molds are already long retired. 

It favours bionicle over the themes that have been split that should be merged at this stage. Bionicle does have a big following, for good reason too, but it's glaringly obviously bigger than adventurers, paradise, Arctic etc. 

It's like putting someone like Eminem/Dr Dre, against Tekashi and getting fans to vote. Glaringly obvious who would win. Doesn't mean Tekashi doesn't have any fans. But not even a question that Tekashi would be in the running. 

So yes, on that basis, it does favour bionicle, as it's not allowing classic space/castle as a whole, to be fairly represented. 

Best case scenario if it does win, I sincerely hope TLG do it justice enough that bionicle fans are happy with it. Perhaps if they were able to reintroduce some molds to introduce a new figure with it, I don't know, I don't know much about it. I do know I don't begrudge them winning if they do, and hope that it meets their expectations. Same goes for whatever theme does ultimately win. 

11 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Yes, Bionicle was not the only theme that was not split up and I agree it got the short end of the stick with the picture. However I want this to be fair and it is not:hmpf_bad:

21 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I find it strange that Lego included Bionicle in the first place, is it the only theme after 2000? As you say the parts are long retired so if it wins the fans won't get what they want any way :wacko:

You really do underestimate how insufferable afols are to young bionicle fans. I only had a minor growing interest in other themes, but the early gatekeeping left a sour taste in my mouth, after that I just grew to never have a desire to explore anything lego related outside of Slizers, Roboriders, Bionicle, Hero Factory and the SW constraction sets. the only exception was using system as greeble for my mocs

Perhaps I do (underestimate) ... But why are they insufferable? (mabs digs are just light hearted ribbing, so if its that kinda thing, I don't see that as insufferable) I don't understand why there would be anything aimed at bionicle fans. Sure, bionicle is a different system, but... so? It enables different things for people of different tastes. Those people need to get a life and enjoy their aspect of lego they like, and let bionicle people enjoy what they like. And... Bionicle people shouldn't feel constrained to contraction because of other afols, there is so much more fun to be had! 

Edited by Fuppylodders

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I find it strange that Lego included Bionicle in the first place, is it the only theme after 2000?

No, there were several themes available for vote that were released after 2000. Arctic, Studios, and Alpha Team all came out during that era. 

Why do people assume they cannot make a new Bionicle set just because a lot of parts are no longer in production?

Here a list of sets that could easily be remade with current parts:

Yes I know a lot of Bionicle fans do not like the sets that mostly consist of Technic, but some of us do, including me :)

Just now, Fuppylodders said:

I'm kinda surprised how model team isn't doing so well though... Thought it'd have done better :def_shrug:

Aren't a lot of 18+ sets with cars like that tho?

Just now, Lira_Bricks said:

Why do people assume they cannot make a new Bionicle set just because a lot of parts are no longer in production?

Yes I know a lot of Bionicle fans do not like the sets that mostly consist of Technic, but some of us do, including me :)

Aren't a lot of 18+ sets with cars like that tho?

True, very true! But that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't get voted on much, quite the opposite I'd have imagined, considering how city and trains are still being voted on. 

22 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Well, that's actually a very good point! LEGO could very easily remake one of those Technic Rahi sets, without the need of bringing back old molds. On top of that, the Rahi are quite popular in the Bionicle community, so I think if LEGO did that, the vast majority of the community will be pleased!

The problem with those sets, though, is that they aren't nearly as recognizable as the Toa Mata heroes, and therefore may not sell nearly as well... And I assume LEGO is already planning on remaking Tahu if Bionicle wins, because that's the set that represented the theme in the poll.

16 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well, that's actually a very good point! LEGO could very easily remake one of those Technic Rahi sets, without the need of bringing back old molds. On top of that, the Rahi are quite popular in the Bionicle community, so I think if LEGO did that, the vast majority of the community will be pleased!

Hey...for some reason, that didn't cross my mind. Having the remade Rahi sets would certainly be very interesting and cool! I can get behind that.

16 hours ago, Lego David said:

The problem with those sets, though, is that they aren't nearly as recognizable as the Toa Mata heroes, and therefore may not sell nearly as well... And I assume LEGO is already planning on remaking Tahu if Bionicle wins, because that's the set that represented the theme in the poll.

Hmm....you brought out a good point. Perhaps aside from being a customer survey on the themes, the specific splitting of theme could also be a gauging on what sets to remake too. If Lego really wanted to focus on the themes, they do have promotional posters at their disposal to use but ultimately, they didn't use those.

And seeing Adventurers' entry is just focused on the Desert subtheme, if we go with the theory above, it could probably mean that Lego doesn't really see Jungle, Dino Island and Orient Expedition as viable yet. Even the 18+ Haunted House's Adventurer's references were mostly focused on the Desert Subtheme.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

26 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Tahu could be made as a big Technic robot with articulation in all the joints, like the Ninjago 71738.

I don't really like Tahu tho, I hope they take Gali or Kopaka. Onua is also ok, as long as they give him back his enormous claws instead of that weird hammer they gave him in later sets...

5 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

I don't really like Tahu tho

Tahu Mata is easily the most recognizable of the Toa Mata, and the Tahu's Mask (the Kanohi Hau) is often used as a symbol to Bionicle as a whole. Realistically speaking, I don't think remaking any other Toa Mata with the exception of Tahu would be viable.

I’m looking at all of the many problems created with this campaign and agree that the goal of celebrating Lego with this vote has not really been achieved. I think that the problems come in that Lego has a massive fan base of different ages and different tastes, and has accordingly given many options, but why only with only one set being created at the end of it all? I think that lego could have done two things:

1. Pick the top 3 or 4 most popular themes and make a couple sets 

2. Or assure people that just because a theme doesn’t win doesn’t mean that the voices of those who voted will not go ignored, that every vote is being taken into consideration, and that remakes of old sets could come in the future (this could stop people from voting for only one theme, or feeling as if voting for what they really want is a waste of a vote and they need to vote strategically for something that might actually win)

Just my two cents!

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

And I assume LEGO is already planning on remaking Tahu if Bionicle wins, because that's the set that represented the theme in the poll

2 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

And seeing Adventurers' entry is just focused on the Desert subtheme, if we go with the theory above, it could probably mean that Lego doesn't really see Jungle, Dino Island and Orient Expedition as viable yet. Even the 18+ Haunted House's Adventurer's references were mostly focused on the Desert Subtheme.

I do not think the picture matter much in regards to what we are getting, just a well known set from the different themes :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Robert8 said:

Bionicle is winning

B I O N I C L E

My prediction: Bionicle will win, mostly due to sockpuppet accounts created by a few people, LEGO will make a mostly System-based Bionicle set, Bionicle fans will hate it, non-Bionicle fans will hate, it will be a massive failure, and LEGO will never try this sort of AFOL outreach again.

:tongue:

What do you think about some kind of museum set where each wing has elements from a well known set? Bit like that free-fall-set with all the elements from the adventure themes.

That way everyone gets a piece of their favourite theme.