Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

Recommended Posts

Caslte (which I am super excited to get day 1) aside, what would they make for the 90th anniversary GWP. Would it also be castle related or do they spread the love and base it on the other themes. Personally I don't really want another 60th anniversary diorama. Would be good to just get a medium sized classic space or pirates set (sorry bionicles).

And then the rumoured cmf s23 to be based on 90th anniversary is very interesting. Hopefully there will be broader representation there for the other themes that missed out to at least get a minifig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Actually, only the 2020 Pirate Ship was increased to €120, Castle is still €100.

Ohhhhh. I thought both went to 120. That's good to know. I still need to buy that castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly though, why couldn’t LEGO celebrate Castle, Space, Pirates and Bionicle’s with sets like the upcoming Lion Kings castle price throughout the year?(august 10th 2022-2023?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eldiano said:

Honestly though, why couldn’t LEGO celebrate Castle, Space, Pirates and Bionicle’s with sets like the upcoming Lion Kings castle price throughout the year?(august 10th 2022-2023?). 

Who knows, they might do that if this one sells well. After all, throwback sets haven't always performed well, so it might be risky for them to release several large ones before testing the waters with one. My hope is this one sells well and they give us large sets for the other classic themes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, eldiano said:

Honestly though, why couldn’t LEGO celebrate Castle, Space, Pirates and Bionicle’s with sets like the upcoming Lion Kings castle price throughout the year?(august 10th 2022-2023?). 

They could do anything they want. They could do the three classic themes, they could do 20 different Bionicle reproduction sets, they could celebrate the anniversary date for the next ten years, etc. That they don't makes it seem like either they don't wantvto or that they don't think there us money in it (more than what it would replace.) They could easily celebrate a meaningful type anniversary every year if they wanted to.

As this is an anniversary of the company and not the product (they recently did the 60th), I would have preferred something from the early days built out of their modern product. But that isn't going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Have a question, anyone know what became of the VIP survey about the updated VIP rewards system? I was hoping it would be released this year with the chance to buy older sets, Quite frankly if we had that option I would be happy celebrating 90 years of lego since they mentioned they were thinking about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eldiano said:

I Have a question, anyone know what became of the VIP survey about the updated VIP rewards system? I was hoping it would be released this year with the chance to buy older sets, Quite frankly if we had that option I would be happy celebrating 90 years of lego since they mentioned they were thinking about this. 

Not helpful, but I have no idea. We didn't get that survey where I live either. But I would definitely be up for the chance to buy older sets. Partly because I came out of my dark ages only a little over a year ago so I've missed a lot of good sets, and partly as a big middle finger to all the scalpers out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, eldiano said:

Honestly though, why couldn’t LEGO celebrate Castle, Space, Pirates and Bionicle’s with sets like the upcoming Lion Kings castle price throughout the year?(august 10th 2022-2023?). 

To be frank, even with Lego releasing more and more expensive sets, releasing four ~$350 sets not tied to any current themes that have proven their sales potential, over a short period of time, feels like it would be a major gamble. I would love to see sets like this for other themes like that, but getting so many at once feels like it would be a misstep—it would be a bad thing if Lego bet big on classic themes only for some of them to wind up being massively expensive shelf-warmers, since that could jeopardize getting other things like that in the future.

Give it time. If this singular set is successful, it could lead to follow-ups—and lord knows Lego has no shortage of major anniversaries to celebrate in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, MAB said:

They could do anything they want. They could do the three classic themes, they could do 20 different Bionicle reproduction sets, they could celebrate the anniversary date for the next ten years, etc. That they don't makes it seem like either they don't wantvto or that they don't think there us money in it (more than what it would replace.) They could easily celebrate a meaningful type anniversary every year if they wanted to.

As this is an anniversary of the company and not the product (they recently did the 60th), I would have preferred something from the early days built out of their modern product. But that isn't going to happen.

I honestly wouldn’t mind brick-based Bionicle sets, whether it’s minifigure-scale or brick-built figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting theory has popped up https://www.brickfanatics.com/we-might-first-look-90th-anniversary-set/ 

It's a mixed bag of clues for me - on one hand we can see existing sets in this short (0:38, 0:58 Medieval Blacksmith, 1:03 T.rex Rampage) but on the other hand it may well be just a random lego castle asset... 

I will say that the size of the castle seems about right for the rumoured price and the build looks detailed. What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

An interesting theory has popped up https://www.brickfanatics.com/we-might-first-look-90th-anniversary-set/ 

It's a mixed bag of clues for me - on one hand we can see existing sets in this short (0:38, 0:58 Medieval Blacksmith, 1:03 T.rex Rampage) but on the other hand it may well be just a random lego castle asset... 

I will say that the size of the castle seems about right for the rumoured price and the build looks detailed. What are your thoughts?

Given that the video uses Lion Knights and the front of the castle directly resembles that of 6080, I could see at least the front of the castle in the video being a part of this set, but it's hard to tell whether the rest of the walls are generic castle building or part of 10305.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2022 at 10:07 AM, Jiesdeo said:

But I would definitely be up for the chance to buy older sets. Partly because I came out of my dark ages only a little over a year ago so I've missed a lot of good sets, and partly as a big middle finger to all the scalpers out there.

I highly doubt you would get much choice of old sets through VIP rewards. More likely  just unsold polybags and other small sets they did not get rid of first time around. I cannot see them producing new retired flagship sets just for VIP giveaways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAB said:

I highly doubt you would get much choice of old sets through VIP rewards. More likely  just unsold polybags and other small sets they did not get rid of first time around. I cannot see them producing new retired flagship sets just for VIP giveaways.

There was a survey about a new type of VIP service where you can pay a monthly subscription and one of the perks was the ability to buy retired sets. I don't think polybags is a big enough draw for a paid subscription service and Lego has talked about re-releasing old sets again, I think they said if 50% of the parts already is in production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jiesdeo said:

There was a survey about a new type of VIP service where you can pay a monthly subscription and one of the perks was the ability to buy retired sets. I don't think polybags is a big enough draw for a paid subscription service and Lego has talked about re-releasing old sets again, I think they said if 50% of the parts already is in production.

Yes, I know as I filled it in. Some people read it as they would be able to buy Cafe Corners and Emerald Nights. And others that are used to LEGO marketing are more skeptical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, I know as I filled it in. Some people read it as they would be able to buy Cafe Corners and Emerald Nights. And others that are used to LEGO marketing are more skeptical. 

Yes, we've leaned not to get too carried away. Still, polybags is a bit pessimistic. There was talk of some kind of vote. Maybe Lego took inspiration from the Bricklink Designer program and when the amount of votes for a set reaches a critical mass, it is deemed profitable enough to produce a new version of the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

Yes, we've leaned not to get too carried away. Still, polybags is a bit pessimistic. There was talk of some kind of vote. Maybe Lego took inspiration from the Bricklink Designer program and when the amount of votes for a set reaches a critical mass, it is deemed profitable enough to produce a new version of the set.

And yet one of the things they said about the Bricklink Designer Program and not going above the limit was that they didn't want to spoil the exclusivity of the set for those that buy it, by making it more widely available. Which is somewhat silly, given that the only exclusive things in it are the sticker sheet and box.

Part of me would really like a modular fire station for $150 or $200, rather than $600. But more of me would prefer a new modular fire station with modern parts and techniques for $200.

And if they're going to release a large set, why not do something new and modern? It will likely appeal to a much broader audience, and those that have the old sets will but the new one too. As opposed to limiting themselves to a smaller subset of potential buyers.

I suppose if they charge a lot for the subscription service (some of the prices were up to about $50 per month if I recall correctly), then it may work out well for them, as people pay LEGO a large amount for the subscription, and then another $200 on top of that for the set. I'm still unconvinced though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

An interesting theory has popped up https://www.brickfanatics.com/we-might-first-look-90th-anniversary-set/

I will say that the size of the castle seems about right for the rumoured price and the build looks detailed. What are your thoughts?

I'm surprised anyone is taking it seriously. That is just a generic castle with parts from Creator castle.
Lego has never done anything as baffling as releasing a $350 version of a castle with slightly updated 80's aesthetic to a modern audience would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

Yes, we've leaned not to get too carried away. Still, polybags is a bit pessimistic. There was talk of some kind of vote. Maybe Lego took inspiration from the Bricklink Designer program and when the amount of votes for a set reaches a critical mass, it is deemed profitable enough to produce a new version of the set.

That was 'talk' not involving LEGO. Another phrase for it would be unfounded speculation. There is nothing wrong with people saying what they hope LEGO would do, but frequently we have seen that expectation and the eventual reality don't match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2022 at 9:07 PM, RichardGoring said:

And yet one of the things they said about the Bricklink Designer Program and not going above the limit was that they didn't want to spoil the exclusivity of the set for those that buy it, by making it more widely available. Which is somewhat silly, given that the only exclusive things in it are the sticker sheet and box.

Part of me would really like a modular fire station for $150 or $200, rather than $600. But more of me would prefer a new modular fire station with modern parts and techniques for $200.

And if they're going to release a large set, why not do something new and modern? It will likely appeal to a much broader audience, and those that have the old sets will but the new one too. As opposed to limiting themselves to a smaller subset of potential buyers.

I suppose if they charge a lot for the subscription service (some of the prices were up to about $50 per month if I recall correctly), then it may work out well for them, as people pay LEGO a large amount for the subscription, and then another $200 on top of that for the set. I'm still unconvinced though.  

At the same time, though, they've re-released sets in the past, with the Legends line in the early 2000s, and even recently have done some sets that (from my understanding) are pretty close to being exact re-releases in the Taj Mahal and the UCS Death Star (the latter set being slightly different between the original and updated version, but pretty much the same model).  

I think one trend in LEGO that's been really evident in the past 3-5 years is that 

a) they are appealing to the "nostalgic adult" market.  Even though kids are still by and large the target market for LEGO, there are more and more sets that are clearly targeted more towards teenagers and adults, which wasn't really the case up until 5ish years ago, other than the Star Wars UCS line.

b) secondary market prices are off-the-handle crazy.  I'm fortunate in that I got into LEGO at a young age and probably still own at least 80% of the sets that I ever bought or acquired (and of the sets I no longer own, probably half were ones that I sold to free up space), so while there are sets from my childhood or before that I'll probably never own due to high resale prices, there are a lot of sets that I do own from this period that I absolutely wouldn't be able to afford if I were just getting into LEGO today.  

For people who have gotten into LEGO in the past 5ish years, and either are looking to re-purchase sets from their childhood, or are wanting some of the legendary sets from the past that now fetch $$$, it seems like that could be a viable market that LEGO would be willing to tap into in order to both sell a lot and also help out customers by driving down some of the resale prices.  

Is it wishful thinking on my part?  Probably, yes.  However, I think there is some plausibility to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

For people who have gotten into LEGO in the past 5ish years, and either are looking to re-purchase sets from their childhood, or are wanting some of the legendary sets from the past that now fetch $$$, it seems like that could be a viable market that LEGO would be willing to tap into in order to both sell a lot and also help out customers by driving down some of the resale prices.  

Is it wishful thinking on my part?  Probably, yes.  However, I think there is some plausibility to it.

Driving down secondary market prices doesn't really help customers of LEGO, only those buying LEGO from third parties that LEGO receives no payment for. Remember that they are likely to sell more of a new set than they are of a re-release.  That is not to say they don't do re-releases as some models will continue to sell well for many years. However, I am sure many people into steam trains, for example, would prefer a new steam train than a copy of Emerald Night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, Jiesdeo said:

There was a survey about a new type of VIP service where you can pay a monthly subscription and one of the perks was the ability to buy retired sets. I don't think polybags is a big enough draw for a paid subscription service and Lego has talked about re-releasing old sets again, I think they said if 50% of the parts already is in production.

Whoa! Hold the phone. I was completely unaware of that survey and missed out on it. I wonder if this will include discontinued LEGO Ideas products?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Whoa! Hold the phone. I was completely unaware of that survey and missed out on it. I wonder if this will include discontinued LEGO Ideas products?

I doubt it, as they have individual contracts with each designer over humbers produced and also might not have licenses any more where they are licensed properties. Plus making new copies of old sets might undermine their own current product range, for example if they remade the IDEAS BTTF set when trying to sell the new version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle both re-released IDEAS under a different product number.

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAB said:

Plus making new copies of old sets might undermine their own current product range, for example if they remade the IDEAS BTTF set when trying to sell the new version.

I don't think this point makes Ideas sets less likely than in-house sets to be re-released. I'm not sure Lego ever clarified what they meant by 'purchasing discontinued sets', but assuming they did mean re-releasing old sets, then - licensing notwithstanding - an old Ideas set is just as likely, surely, as an old Pirates or Alpha Team or Paradisa set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

I don't think this point makes Ideas sets less likely than in-house sets to be re-released. I'm not sure Lego ever clarified what they meant by 'purchasing discontinued sets', but assuming they did mean re-releasing old sets, then - licensing notwithstanding - an old Ideas set is just as likely, surely, as an old Pirates or Alpha Team or Paradisa set.

There is an extra hurdle with IDEAS sets in that there are royalties paid to and an agreement with a third party and possibly others too (such as the Mars Rover).  Can they just make another 5K sets of those without going for new contracts and what if the designer felt they should make a larger amount such as 50K or nothing.

And yes, they didn't clarify what they meant, leading to all the discussion about what they meant. I still think it means existing unsold stock. The time they take to do small runs of the bricklink sets suggests it would be difficult to do small runs of all sets that VIPs request, from the 1000s they might choose from.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.