Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

23 minutes ago, KingOfLiberation said:

From what I've read, Mr. Gold was a bit of a mess for LEGO with the whole "only 5,000 will ever exist", I doubt they want to repeat that (boxes being ransacked, employees feeling bags, etc).

And the way that investment in LEGO has picked up in the last few years, I can only imagine it would be worse now.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:52 AM, Kit Figsto said:

On the right hand side, you can see a figure in green with (what looks like) an older-style head mainly used in the the 90s Pirates line, along with a tricorne hat.  I don't recognize the torso but it does look Pirate-y.

That pirate looks to be basically this guy from the last wave of pirates (set 70412)

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=pi147#T=S&O={"ss":"SE","rpp":"50","iconly":0}

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it has already been pointed out.

Edited by Jiesdeo

On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, Lego David said:

Well, just to play devil's advocate, Bionicle is after all, one of the main reasons why we still have LEGO around as an independent company today in the first place. I do agree with the notion that it doesn't represent what people traditionally think as "LEGO" but at the same time, I think it is worth acknowledging the theme that enabled them to survive and became what they are today, which is something they have never done before.

But to be fair, I think the main reason they won't pick Bionicle would have more to do with them not really being sure what kind of set to produce and not having any of the old Bionicle molds available anymore. They could theoretically make a System-based Tahu set, but even that would require at the very least bringing back one of the old mask molds or creating a new one. 

For the record, would LEGO be willing to bring back any older molds or create new ones for a set like this? This applies to all the potential winning themes. I'm sure Castle fans would like to see the return of the older pre-fab Castle walls, or Space fans would maybe like one of those older cockpit pieces and so on... 

Back when the poll was first being held, everyone would have said "no" because it is a D2C set, but things have changed quite a lot in the area of D2C sets in the past year, so...

As a massive bionicle fan, I somewhat fear the sales and hope castle wins.

The castle bricklink ideas project sold extraordinarily well and the bionicle bricklink one didn’t get enough. 

They were both pretty expensive, true, but if the winner sells poorly, Lego might not do a similar thing for the 100th. 

If they do an anniversary set based on Castle, I think it would be cool if it was a big tournament like Kingdoms Joust, but with one knight and one squire from each (or a selection) of the big factions: Classic Castle, Crusaders/Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Dragon Knights, Fantasy Era, etc. It could even have some Forestmen hanging around somewhere.

I don't know if you could do something similar for Space or Pirates. Any ideas?

On 2/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, Merlo said:

It's also a kids set with big parts and crazy colors that has no connection to Lego history.

That is the problem Classic Space has. It is history. A old view of sci-fi space from the past. LEGO has done other sci-fi space sets such as Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad but AFOLs trashed those as they weren't the same as ones from 30 years before. Sci-fi space is a very wide subject compared to castles and pirates. Ask a kid to describe what should be in a castle playset and you'll probably get medieval castle or fantasy (dragons, trolls, etc). Ask to describe what should be in a pirates theme and you'll get a ship and an island with buried treasure. Ask to describe what should be in a sci-fi based space set and I reckon you'll get a huge range of views, much wider than for a castle set or pirates. The stereotypical view of what constitutes knights and pirates hasn't changed much in the past decades, whereas sci-fi has and was already significantly wider four decades ago. 

While the anniversary set should link back to LEGO history,  I doubt that is an objective for modern themes. The odd Easter Egg type links, sure. But themes picking up where the 1980s left them, unlikely.

I saw this updated version of the LL928 on Rebrickable - LEGO MOC LL-928 Galaxy Explorer Classic Space by The Brick Artisan | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

via DuckBricks - LEGO Classic Space Galaxy Explorer REVAMPED Review! - YouTube

And I think it's pretty much perfect for modern classic space. But then, that was pretty much Benny's Spaceship, so maybe we had updated classic space already?

9 hours ago, MAB said:

That is the problem Classic Space has. It is history. A old view of sci-fi space from the past.

If anything, this is the opposite of a problem. As years go by it's easier to update and enrich the space line with new ideas than it would be to do the same with, say, castle or pirates.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

LEGO has done other sci-fi space sets such as Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad but AFOLs trashed those as they weren't the same as ones from 30 years before.

You state something without evidence then make a presumption and act as if it's true while ignoring every other possible variable.
AFOLs are hardly uniform, so I cannot really say anything one way or the other in their name, nor do I think any possible Lego space set should have classic space vibes.
I did, however, found classic space appealing as in my mind it united the realistic aspects of space exploration and habitat that the new NASA inspired sets have, and the vibrant imagery of a far future with fantastical machinery and solutions.
So a lot of neo classic space ideas really do it for me, but for the reason mentioned, much more than their link to classic space.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Ask a kid to describe what should be in a castle playset and you'll probably get medieval castle or fantasy (dragons, trolls, etc). Ask to describe what should be in a pirates theme and you'll get a ship and an island with buried treasure. Ask to describe what should be in a sci-fi based space set and I reckon you'll get a huge range of views, much wider than for a castle set or pirates.

Ships and land based vehicles, base, robots of all sizes?

9 hours ago, MAB said:

While the anniversary set should link back to LEGO history,  I doubt that is an objective for modern themes. The odd Easter Egg type links, sure. But themes picking up where the 1980s left them, unlikely.

Didn't Barracuda Bay successfully did just that? If Lego came out with another set like that, in any theme, even the themes I do not particularly care for, I honestly could not come here and claim what a disappointment that is. That would truly be something to behold.

52 minutes ago, Merlo said:

Didn't Barracuda Bay successfully did just that? If Lego came out with another set like that, in any theme, even the themes I do not particularly care for, I honestly could not come here and claim what a disappointment that is. That would truly be something to behold.

Is Barracuda Bay a theme now? I thought it was a one-off adult aimed set.

53 minutes ago, Merlo said:

Ships and land based vehicles, base, robots of all sizes?

What ships and what land based vehicles though, as we currently have ships and land-based vehicles on the shelves.

57 minutes ago, Merlo said:

You state something without evidence then make a presumption and act as if it's true while ignoring every other possible variable.

AFOLs are hardly uniform, so I cannot really say anything one way or the other in their name, nor do I think any possible Lego space set should have classic space vibes.
I did, however, found classic space appealing as in my mind it united the realistic aspects of space exploration and habitat that the new NASA inspired sets have, and the vibrant imagery of a far future with fantastical machinery and solutions.
So a lot of neo classic space ideas really do it for me, but for the reason mentioned, much more than their link to classic space.

Yes, look at the recently past and new range of space sets. There are bases, ships, land based vehicles. Are kids playing with these today really any different to kids playing with Classic Space three or four decades ago? The colours are different, the torsos are different but the play-time will be very similar. This is the Classic Space of the 2020s.

60227-1.jpg?20190514082560225-1.jpg?201905140825

60349_alt2.jpg60348-1.jpg?20210922014360350-1.jpg?202109220143

In the past, Classic Space fans have complained about Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad being too alien combat focused and that instead what is needed is research and exploration. That is what LEGO are providing now. This is why Classic Space is a historic theme (aside from Easter Eggs here and there), because we already have a much more modern take on it. The colours and figures are different, the sci-fi is more towards realism (like many space sci-fi movies today) and but the play is the same. To me, this sort of set looks similar to sci-fi movies like The Martian, Moon, Gravity, Ad Astra, ...

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Well when you said this:

We were talking about the anniversary set only. Since the pirates line did continue where it left off, albeit not in theme form, space could do the same for a one off.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

What ships and what land based vehicles though, as we currently have ships and land-based vehicles on the shelves.

That's easy. Something that both tickles the fancy and looks like AFOLs would find it more interesting than regular Lego sets.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes, look at the recently past and new range of space sets. There are bases, ships, land based vehicles. Are kids playing with these today really any different to kids playing with Classic Space three or four decades ago? The colours are different, the torsos are different but the play-time will be very similar. This is the Classic Space of the 2020s. 

Yes, partially. But going back to what I've said previously... these modern sets reflect the halfway attitude Lego has been utilizing for quite some time. They're basically trying to have their cake and eat it too, and that doesn't work for me.
On the one hand, I love the realistic aspect of space exploration, this is very appealing to me as an AFOL, but these sets are not realistic enough. I'm not going to display this space line as it was not made detailed enough in order to remain just a play toy.
On the other hand, as a play toy it's too realistic and thus much less interesting to the child in me than, yes, aliens and insects and everything else is.
Classic space never had this problem. It was both "these are real people in space and you can play space exploration with them" and "look at these crazy wacky looking imaginative designs" at once.
It was so perfect at capturing realistic space and fantasy space at once that it had to have been an accident. But I suppose stuff like M-tron or Blacktron or maybe even Ice Planet could be made to serve the same purpose.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

In the past, Classic Space fans have complained about Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad being too alien combat focused and that instead what is needed is research and exploration. That is what LEGO are providing now. This is why Classic Space is a historic theme (aside from Easter Eggs here and there), because we already have a much more modern take on it. The colours and figures are different, the sci-fi is more towards realism (like many space sci-fi movies today) and but the play is the same. To me, this sort of set looks similar to sci-fi movies like The Martian, Moon, Gravity, Ad Astra, ...

And I think the previous paragraph covers this perfectly. I love all the realistic space sets Lego is putting out... Lunar Lander, Saturn V, all of them. I think they're wonderful.
Lego is crushing real space, it's fantasy space they're failing at. You can't have that feeling of awe and surprise anymore by looking at a fantasy space set Lego put out, that you just didn't expect to see and now you're in love.
All you have is things like Star Wars and their "it's nice, but I've seen that, also too expensive since it's licensed" and an occasional set aimed at kids.

2 hours ago, Merlo said:

But going back to what I've said previously... these modern sets reflect the halfway attitude Lego has been utilizing for quite some time. They're basically trying to have their cake and eat it too, and that doesn't work for me.

That is the issue. It may not work for you, but it does for others. Sci-fi does have a lot of realism in these days. The sci bits are often more close to reality than they were decades ago and so sets like these work.

This whole argument is just ridiculous. It's the same bad faith hateful garbage Space fans have seen trotted out forever now.

1) "Space is an outdated theme that should be relegated to the past."

This is a stupid argument. We have Star Wars sets still being cranked out. Those are 40+year old designs. Are those outdated? Should those be relegated to the past? Apparently not.

Would a modern Space theme use the same designs as 40 year old sets? Of course not. Just look here for pages and pages of amazing neo-Classic Space designs that fans have come up with.

2) "Space fans suck and just trash all the space themes that come out anyway so they should get nothing."

The real problem here is people think they should be able to TELL Space fans what we should want, instead of just listening to us and ACCEPTING that we want certain things.

This happens every time new sets come out. "Hey, Mars Attacks sets are out. Space fans, you're gonna shut up now right? This is EXACTLY what you want, RIGHT?"

Of course, every time, we have to explain the obvious: "Actually, these sets take place on Earth. The theme includes only one space ship, if it even is a space ship? Unless you count flying saucers, which aren't really the same thing, and include campy, old-timey aliens. And there's no space bases, no rovers, no vividly colored windscreens, no astronauts..."

And of course then the screaming replies: "You're impossible to please, you should want this, your desires are invalid, how dare you trash this theme" blah blah blah.

I'm a Space fan. I bought Galaxy Squad sets. I bought Space-ish Creator sets. I bought Nexo Nights, Chima, and Ninjago sets that had some Space-ish sci-fi elements that I liked. I can appreciated non-Space Lego sets, and buy them, while still not being totally satisfied, and wanting something really in the spirit of the old Space themes.

3) "This non-Space theme came out. This is what you want. You should want it. Why don't you want it? It's Space."

It's not Space. Space, capital-S, means something specific in Lego discussions. Please understand the domain if you're going to debate it. Please look here and tell me how many NASA sets you find:

NASA sets are not Space. "Inspired by NASA" sets are not Space. City sets are not Space (THEY SAY CITY ON THE BOX, PEOPLE). Monkie Kid sets are not Space.

Do they share some elements of classic Space sets? Sure. Do they capture the essence of classic Space sets? No. No vivid colors, no deep space exploration, not actual Sci-Fi, based on Earth?

Not Space.

Capiche?

As a Space fan, I get to decide what I consider Space to be. I get to decide what I want in a Space set. I don't care what you think I should want.

Edited by danth

As a Space fan myself, I also get to decide for myself what I consider Space to be, and what I want in a Space set.  Let's all just agree to disagree.

Edited by icm

2 hours ago, danth said:
As a Space fan, I get to decide what I consider Space to be. I get to decide what I want in a Space set. I don't care what you think I should want.

THIS!

37 minutes ago, icm said:

As a Space fan myself, I also get to decide for myself what I consider Space to be, and what I want in a Space set.  Let's all just agree to disagree.

Yep, and this.

Yep, that's it.

19 hours ago, MAB said:

That is the issue. It may not work for you, but it does for others. Sci-fi does have a lot of realism in these days. The sci bits are often more close to reality than they were decades ago and so sets like these work.

And that's also why I said each person is different and I have no reason to think Lego will cater to my vision of Space. However, when it comes to fantasy Lego space I can't even be remotely satisfied as there's almost none.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, Jiesdeo said:

If they do an anniversary set based on Castle, I think it would be cool if it was a big tournament like Kingdoms Joust, but with one knight and one squire from each (or a selection) of the big factions: Classic Castle, Crusaders/Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Dragon Knights, Fantasy Era, etc. It could even have some Forestmen hanging around somewhere.

I don't know if you could do something similar for Space or Pirates. Any ideas?

What? No Wolfpack renegades picking pockets? Come on, we gotta have at least one bandit there. 

On 2/9/2022 at 5:06 AM, MAB said:

60227-1.jpg?20190514082560225-1.jpg?201905140825

60349_alt2.jpg60348-1.jpg?20210922014360350-1.jpg?202109220143

Can we not have both fantastical space and realistic space? Not everyone wants to do scientific research on Mars, but at the same time not everyone wants to blow up aliens or have aerial dogfights in space. Some people go through phases in their Lego preferences, I for example sometimes want to build realistic Lego satellite replica Mocs and build rovers and rockets, but other times I want to have cool aerial dogfights inspired by World War Two with star fighters trying to outmaneuver each other with blaster fire and amazing flying maneuvers. Honestly what I’m trying to say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which means (in the appropriate logical context of what space factually is defined as) that what you consider space is unique to you. There’s no exact or perfect definition of what Lego space is to you, so let’s all just be content with our perceptions of Lego space is.

peace y’all

-Wolfpackfan99 

On 2/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, danth said:
This whole argument is just ridiculous. It's the same bad faith hateful garbage Space fans have seen trotted out forever now.

I agree that Lego Space means something specific. And it shouldn't be something that's hard for Lego to satisfy, even if they don't pick Space for this thing. I think you're exactly right about the colors. I've thought for years that too many windscreen pieces are ONLY made in trans-clear, trans-light blue, and trans-black. I think that Lego should do two things, neither of which is "make sets branded Lego Space", and these two things should be sufficient:

First, they should make modern minifigure prints that feel like cool space characters. I think they're doing a reasonably good job of this of late. Basically a modernized space-torso in that Creator rover set/Cyber Drone. They could do better, and give us some more brightly-colored space characters. More minifigure designs that make you think "this should be a whole space faction".

Second, they should take more modern canopy pieces, and just... Make them in trans-red, trans-dark blue, trans-bright green, trans-neon green, (trans-neon orange if it were still around ;_;), trans-purple, trans-dark pink... Just, for each cool-looking canopy piece, make sure it's made at least once in ONE of the above colors. (Okay fine or trans-yellow, sure.) There are plenty of great recent ones. I mean we all remember that pointy Nexo Knights canopy that was only in trans-neon orange. That one was great! It was an excellent successor to the old long-nose windscreen, 2507. Wouldn't it have been amazing to get in more of these bright colors? I think that the "bring back old molds" crowd is really misguided in general. Look at Benny's 2014 spaceship; that isn't built around some ancient piece. You don't need old molds. You just need to take the right modern equivalent and recolor it.

As you say, the feel of old-timey space is, having a bright main color, and a contrasting bright transparent color for windscreen parts and some other details... There's slightly more to it than that, but that's most of it. If we have good access to a reasonable variety of windscreens and other parts in these bright transparent colors (through Bricks & Pieces/BrickLink), and we have access on Bricks & Pieces to minifigure parts that spark our imaginations for our space factions... That should be enough. A big D2C set with no new molds or recolors is much less-valuable to me than just... Having more canopies recolored over time, in pedestrian, non-space sets.

And as for the minifigure parts... Just give me brightly-colored sci fi Lego-original minifigs, that as I said, spark my imagination. "That could be a space faction" is something I said about Mei from Monkie Kid. Just... Make cool sci fi minifigures, and eventually some of them will be the right thing.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, KingOfLiberation said:

From what I've read, Mr. Gold was a bit of a mess for LEGO with the whole "only 5,000 will ever exist", I doubt they want to repeat that (boxes being ransacked, employees feeling bags, etc).

I don't collect minifigs or care for Mr Gold one (or any of the gold series) - but I do wish Lego would make some more of them to drive the prices down for people who genuinely want one for their collection, I hate the idea of 'limited edition' of anything

As for the 90th Anniversary set - I presonally I hope for a Pirates themed set, but since PoBB came out not so long ago I doubt it will happen.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, Wolfpackfan99 said:

Can we not have both fantastical space and realistic space?

Yes and no. It seems LEGO doesn't want both realistic and fantasy space on the shelves at the same time - at least, if you restrict it to in-house themes. Of course, there are other ways to supplement current sets, such as using aliens or Classic Space prints from the CMFs or other recent sets if you want aliens  or Classic Space minifigures and, of course, creating MOCs instead of sticking to just sets. And then there is buying pre-owned LEGO sets or parts from the past 50 years.

And of course different people can decide what they want from a particular theme. But if they don't like what is in a theme, it doesn't mean that LEGO does not do that theme. It just means that they cannot find anything in it that they enjoy.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, KingOfLiberation said:

Remember that some of the people that were very anti-Mr Gold were people that wanted him and couldn't find him. If they had found one, they would probably have had a different opinion. If anything is rarer than other similar items, prices will soar because some people MUST have everything and "be complete". Whether it is LEGO, pokemon cards, Star Wars figures, etc.

I know a family where the kid randomly opened a Mr Gold. They didn't realise the rarity or value and the kid played with it a bit. He didn't really like it as it didn't fit with the other figures he played with. I let them know the value and they sold it on and the kid got a few large LEGO sets with the proceeds. He was a happy finder, even if he didn't know at the time.

LEGO now know how to deal with it though, just stick series where there are chase figures into boxes like in Vidiyo.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:30 PM, danth said:
1) "Space is an outdated theme that should be relegated to the past."
2) "Space fans suck and just trash all the space themes that come out anyway so they should get nothing."
3) "This non-Space theme came out. This is what you want. You should want it. Why don't you want it? It's Space."

Your post deserves to be pinned in the Space sub-forum.

"Capiche?" is out of line, hopefully you are going to edit it.

15 minutes ago, astral brick said:

Your post deserves to be pinned in the Space sub-forum.

"Capiche?" is out of line, hopefully you are going to edit it.

And why exactly is using “capiche?” out of line? Last time I checked, using Italian words was fine. Also I have strong Italian heritage (my Italian grandfather immigrated to Canada when he was a kid), and I’m not offended by it. Not really sure what your problem is, but I’m siding with Danth.

Lego space is not defined by sets in the 70s and 80s. What you consider space is unique to you. The beautiful thing about Lego is that you are the creator, you decide what’s what. In its pure logical state, Lego space can be logically defined as a Lego theme in a setting that pertains to science fiction, scientific fact, or a hybrid combination of both. This means that your concept of space is unique to you.

10 hours ago, Wolfpackfan99 said:

And why exactly is using “capiche?” out of line?

It's mostly used to sound threatening or, alternatively, imply that the other person is slow to understand.

We are already passed the 1 year anniversary of the poll, and we still have no clue about what set are we getting... Why is LEGO waiting so long to reveal the thing? I do not believe producing a set takes that long, and neither have they focused their resources on building up hype for the set. I feel like it might just get revealed at a completely random date and promptly forgotten about as soon as it hits the shelves (especially if turns out to be a disappointing choice). 

55 minutes ago, Lego David said:

We are already passed the 1 year anniversary of the poll, and we still have no clue about what set are we getting... Why is LEGO waiting so long to reveal the thing? 

Probably cause it’s not releasing anytime soon. They aren’t gonna reveal the results in early 2022 and then make us wait till late 2022. 

2 hours ago, bRICKbRAT said:

They aren’t gonna reveal the results in early 2022 and then make us wait till late 2022. 

I mean... obviously, but why not just straight up release it now in early 2022?