Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

Okay, this is a long shot, but there's some leaked photos on a certain social media app that mainly show a few figures from the upcoming Boba Fett/Bib Fortuna's Palace set.  On the right hand side, you can see a figure in green with (what looks like) an older-style head mainly used in the the 90s Pirates line, along with a tricorne hat.  I don't recognize the torso but it does look Pirate-y.  While I think it would be way too early for a figure to leak of a set that isn't supposed to be coming until, if I remember right, August(?), is it possible that this points to the 90th Anniversary set being a Pirates set?  The only reason I'm thinking it could be is because the figure definitely has a retro-y look to it, whereas I think a figure in a Creator pirates set would be more modern, same with any sort of modern Pirates line (though I don't think any are rumored for this year?).  Anyway, just wanted to throw that out. 

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Okay, this is a long shot, but there's some leaked photos on a certain social media app that mainly show a few figures from the upcoming Boba Fett/Bib Fortuna's Palace set.  On the right hand side, you can see a figure in green with (what looks like) an older-style head mainly used in the the 90s Pirates line, along with a tricorne hat.  I don't recognize the torso but it does look Pirate-y.  While I think it would be way too early for a figure to leak of a set that isn't supposed to be coming until, if I remember right, August(?), is it possible that this points to the 90th Anniversary set being a Pirates set?  The only reason I'm thinking it could be is because the figure definitely has a retro-y look to it, whereas I think a figure in a Creator pirates set would be more modern, same with any sort of modern Pirates line (though I don't think any are rumored for this year?).  Anyway, just wanted to throw that out. 

Honestly Pirates is the only theme I wouldn't be okay with winning. We just got the huge Baracuda Bay set, and getting another Pirate tribute set so soon would be kind of redundant IMO.

Also, would it be realistic that LEGO would include a retro-style minifigure in a set like this? Not even Baracuda Bay did that. I can see them maybe going with the classic smiley faces (which they still used for the recent classic spacemen figures) but honestly all the 90s printed faces are super outdated and would look super weird in a modern set. 

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

Honestly Pirates is the only theme I wouldn't be okay with winning. We just got the huge Baracuda Bay set, and getting another Pirate tribute set so soon would be kind of redundant IMO.

Also, would it be realistic that LEGO would include a retro-style minifigure in a set like this? Not even Baracuda Bay did that. I can see them maybe going with the classic smiley faces (which they still used for the recent classic spacemen figures) but honestly all the 90s printed faces are super outdated and would look super weird in a modern set. 

Pirates is easily my favorite, but I'm with you that it should be something else. Barracuda Bay was so good, unless they do Imperials, which they won't, it's better to do one of the others. Castle seems the best bet and is probably the most iconic as a legacy thing. But space was maybe more prolific? Either would be suitable.

We had Barracuda Bay and Creator castle / Medieval Blacksmith. I wouldn't mind an epic classic space set, but I don't think that's happening :)

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

We had Barracuda Bay and Creator castle / Medieval Blacksmith. I wouldn't mind an epic classic space set, but I don't think that's happening :)

We also recently had Benny's Space Squad in 2019 that provided three decent and different classic space figures. Plus another torso in CMF this year.

16 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

On the right hand side, you can see a figure in green with (what looks like) an older-style head mainly used in the the 90s Pirates line, along with a tricorne hat.  I don't recognize the torso but it does look Pirate-y. 

It is this Minifig, from the 2015 Pirates line. 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

We also recently had Benny's Space Squad in 2019 that provided three decent and different classic space figures. Plus another torso in CMF this year. 

Yes, but who could look at those and say "allrite, that's enough space!"?
When was the last time space had anything substantial, 2014 with Benny's Spaceship? Or maybe Lego just thinks of "realistic" space sets as being the same as fantasy ones.

Eh, Space has something substantial right now: the Monkie Kid Galactic Explorer and the Chang'e Moon Cake Factory. They're not quite traditional Space, but the Galactic Explorer at least is every bit as good as any other big spaceship Lego has ever made, and much less overtly gimmicky than the Moon Cake Factory (ie, no rabbits or carrots).

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It is this Minifig, from the 2015 Pirates line. 

Ah, never mind, then.  Thanks!  That makes a lot more sense, because I don't know how there would already be a figure for a set coming in six months.

Although I do have several questions about that photo now...why is there a random figure from 7 years ago coupled in with leaked figures from a set coming in a month?  Weird.

33 minutes ago, icm said:

Eh, Space has something substantial right now: the Monkie Kid Galactic Explorer and the Chang'e Moon Cake Factory. They're not quite traditional Space, but the Galactic Explorer at least is every bit as good as any other big spaceship Lego has ever made, and much less overtly gimmicky than the Moon Cake Factory (ie, no rabbits or carrots).

It's also a kids set with big parts and crazy colors that has no connection to Lego history.

Traditional Lego Space is all kids sets with big parts and crazy colors.  As for 80035, the connection to Lego history is right there in the name, and in the Classic Space-inspired cloud logos on the spacesuits, and so on.

17 minutes ago, icm said:

Traditional Lego Space is all kids sets with big parts and crazy colors.  As for 80035, the connection to Lego history is right there in the name, and in the Classic Space-inspired cloud logos on the spacesuits, and so on.

Lego makes (mostly) kids sets, that's why it wouldn't make any sense for an anniversary set to be just a regular set. It can be many different things like a display set, or a tribute set, or an epic playset, or a mashup, but it definitely wouldn't have been a spaceship with a relatively small piece count for ages 5-12 which would lead them to abandon that idea because of 80035.

I could see an anniversary Bionicle set using the new SCCBS, that way they wouldn't have to bring back molds.

I'm not sure how much faith I have that the 90th anniversary set will be a good anniversary celebration. Ninjago's 10th anniversary sets are not bad sets but outside of golden ninja, the City Gardens, Overlord Dragon and maybe Fire Dragon Attack aren't really the best selection for celebrating the past 10 years. Same with Friends, good sets but weird as a celebration.

What do you think Lego will do to celebrate 90 years of Lego?

Last year Lego celebrated 20 years of Lego Harry Potter with golden minifigures, so do you think they'll make a new Mr.Gold type of collectible minifigure with series 23 releasing in September? :caroler:

3 hours ago, KingOfLiberation said:

I could see an anniversary Bionicle set using the new SCCBS, that way they wouldn't have to bring back molds.

I'm not sure how much faith I have that the 90th anniversary set will be a good anniversary celebration. Ninjago's 10th anniversary sets are not bad sets but outside of golden ninja, the City Gardens, Overlord Dragon and maybe Fire Dragon Attack aren't really the best selection for celebrating the past 10 years. Same with Friends, good sets but weird as a celebration.

I think Bionicle is definitely a possibility. The problem is that CCBS and SCCBS stuff would potentially be a bit undesired for a D2C of this caliber. I feel like LEGO would want something more solid as their main build. I suppose that could be something like an island of Mata Nui or larger mask, etc., but it's definitely an interesting position. I don't think they would want a scattered series of builds as the 90th anniversary set, but I could be wrong about that. 

Do we even know when this set will release at this point? 

5 hours ago, Merlo said:

Yes, but who could look at those and say "allrite, that's enough space!"?
When was the last time space had anything substantial, 2014 with Benny's Spaceship? Or maybe Lego just thinks of "realistic" space sets as being the same as fantasy ones.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, icm said:

Disagree completely.

Galactic Explorer isn't even a space ship, it's a space shuttle. It launches straight upwards from a launch tower on Earth. That's a space shuttle. I want a space SHIP.

Also, it has clouds for tail fins, which makes it fantastical and even less Space-y.

Also, since when is getting a space craft in a random theme count as a Space set? It doesn't. Thor: Ragnarock had a space ship. As a Lego Space fan, I don't want that. It's not a Space set, it's a Marvel set. I don't want Star Wars ships either.

5 hours ago, Merlo said:

It's also a kids set with big parts and crazy colors that has no connection to Lego history.

Exactly!

11 hours ago, MAB said:

And we have Johnny Thunder minifigure from CMF Series 19. And we have Rocket RAcer showing up in Rocket Sunt Bike in City theme very recently (Rocket RAcer is from Lego Racers even tho it has nothing to do with anniveary). 

2 hours ago, Flaming Bricks said:

Last year Lego celebrated 20 years of Lego Harry Potter with golden minifigures, so do you think they'll make a new Mr.Gold type of collectible minifigure with series 23 releasing in September? :caroler:

And we had 40th anniveary in CMF Series 18 in 2018. We only got the minifigure, the classical Policeman (with white dots and badge printed on the torso unlike the ole one). 

9 hours ago, KingOfLiberation said:

I don't really follow Ninjago, but I have to say that the Friends Treehouse as the 10th anniversary set is pretty much spot on. It's an excellent homage to so many of the things they've done in the time.

8 hours ago, Flaming Bricks said:

Last year LEGO held a poll where fans could vote for their favorite vintage theme to be made into a special 90th anniversary LEGO tribute set. They didn't say anything about there being any new Mr. Gold type figure. If there was, it would probably be end up being included in the set that we will get, but not as a part of any upcoming CMF series.

10 hours ago, Lego David said:

Last year LEGO held a poll where fans could vote for their favorite vintage theme to be made into a special 90th anniversary LEGO tribute set. They didn't say anything about there being any new Mr. Gold type figure. If there was, it would probably be end up being included in the set that we will get, but not as a part of any upcoming CMF series.

That is an interesting thought. Would LEGO include a series of "golden figures" or simply vintage design figures within the D2C or surrounding promo(s?). It would definitely be a good way to represent the themes that didn't get picked but are still part of the LEGO history.

4 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

That is an interesting thought. Would LEGO include a series of "golden figures" or simply vintage design figures within the D2C or surrounding promo(s?). It would definitely be a good way to represent the themes that didn't get picked but are still part of the LEGO history.

I could definitely see some sort of commemorative minifigure appearing in a set like this—possibly something like a golden astronaut statue if it were a space set, for example. That said, I doubt figs like that would appear unless they were somehow contextualized within the set itself—the budget for a set like this is better used to make the set as good as it can be, rather than adding figures that don't fit the theme as some sort of "compensation" for those themes not getting chosen.

56 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I could definitely see some sort of commemorative minifigure appearing in a set like this—possibly something like a golden astronaut statue if it were a space set, for example. That said, I doubt figs like that would appear unless they were somehow contextualized within the set itself—the budget for a set like this is better used to make the set as good as it can be, rather than adding figures that don't fit the theme as some sort of "compensation" for those themes not getting chosen.

Agreed. That would be perfect for the bonus CMF series we're supposed to be getting. A space, castle, pirates CMF. A Bionicle minifig? Town and Friends would round out the six nicely. Or two from each of the classic System themes.

7 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Agreed. That would be perfect for the bonus CMF series we're supposed to be getting. A space, castle, pirates CMF. A Bionicle minifig? Town and Friends would round out the six nicely. Or two from each of the classic System themes

You know, now that I think about it, a special CMF series based on Classic themes would honestly be amazing, and would more or less please everybody. Why not just remake classic characters with a more modern design? They already did that with a few Minifigures such as Johnny Thunder already, why couldn't they make an entire series of Minifigures like that? And while we're at it, throw in a special "chase" minifigure like Mr. Gold for good measure. A special gold edition Classic Spacemen, perhaps?

I'm liking the idea of anniversary minifigs more and more... which is a good time to ground myself in reality. I think chances of these are low, we have 0 leaks and we've gone into wish-listing. Not sayin' it can't happen, but as of right now we have 0 evidence for this

Some form of anniversary minifigures are very possible (CMF or in normal sets), since Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Ninjago all had them (I think Friends had new character variants but they weren't marketed the same way).

From what I've read, Mr. Gold was a bit of a mess for LEGO with the whole "only 5,000 will ever exist", I doubt they want to repeat that (boxes being ransacked, employees feeling bags, etc).