Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

30 minutes ago, MAB said:

The time they take to do small runs of the bricklink sets suggests it would be difficult to do small runs of all sets that VIPs request, from the 1000s they might choose from.

Tbf, it might be that Lego themselves pick four or five old sets and that's all that can be bought.

Whatever the case, we'll find out as and when Lego unveil it properly!

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle both re-released IDEAS under a different product number.

I remember that, too. If only The Flintstones would be next. This time, with new-mold headpieces for Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty, as well as Dino.

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Tbf, it might be that Lego themselves pick four or five old sets and that's all that can be bought.

My guess is somewhere around those lines too. Lego suggests sets based on available parts in stock and they then gauge the interest among the VIP-customers. If enough members are interested, they produce the set.

Maybe the recent revamping of Pick a Brick/Bricks and Pieces might have something to do with it, LEGO re-organizing their process to monitor what older sets they can produce, + also maybe have some older but more known minifig-part-reproductions be popular via the B&P/BaM services (nostalgia is a strong factor). 

A lot of older sets use parts that haven't been made for years, or entire part-systems (think hinges), or retired colors, so it's still not an easy feat at all.

Saturn V and Ship in Bottle were recent sets that were just re-released/extended, not too different with Vestas, Millenium Falcon or Death Star, but if we talk sets from before the 2000s it gets very complicated.

But yes, I think the number of sets they'd offer at one time would be small and focused on iconic things, and not themes where like 90% of parts haven't been produced in a while,.

Also things like Raised baseplates, Electronics, Magnets seem entirely out of the question.

Edited by TeriXeri

9 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Magnets

Not only due to production costs but also the immense amount of legislation and safety regulation put onto magnets in toys in even the last ten years. 

I thought the issue is only when you have a whole bunch of small magnets?

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

I thought the issue is only when you have a whole bunch of small magnets?

You only need to swallow two (separately) to possibly do damage. Or one and other ferrous material. It's especially weird when people actually put them in their mouths for decorative purposes: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/05/urgent-assessment-treatment-following-ingestion-of-super-strong-magnets/

LEGO still has some magnets in production, one in a train buffer, the other in a helicopter set, and all those parts are rather large compared to the old magnets.

Old magnet like 73092.jpg was a lot smaller, which is what I meant.

Would it be dumb to hold out hope that the last few Creator sets listed that haven't been leaked might be more 90th anniversary sets? 10304 and 10306 are still unknowns right? How cool would it be if those were Space and Bionicle sets?

I think the timeline we're in is too dark for that to be the case, but the idea is good for a few daydreams until we know for sure.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Would it be dumb to hold out hope that the last few Creator sets listed that haven't been leaked might be more 90th anniversary sets? 10304 and 10306 are still unknowns right? How cool would it be if those were Space and Bionicle sets?

I think the timeline we're in is too dark for that to be the case, but the idea is good for a few daydreams until we know for sure.

While that would be great. I highly doubt we'll get any more D2Cs for the anniversary beyond 10305. I could see some smaller sets around those themes, perhaps, but not D2Cs this year. 

On 3/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, NoOneOfImportance said:

While that would be great. I highly doubt we'll get any more D2Cs for the anniversary beyond 10305. I could see some smaller sets around those themes, perhaps, but not D2Cs this year. 

Well, I think that's what they should have done, even if it meant having a cheaper castle set. Even still, I don't think there's anything Lego fans won't buy, no matter how expensive. I think they could easily sell all three, this year, even if one is a $350 castle.

A 90th Anniversary Classic set appeared 11021 , so the Castle rumour certainly isn't the only celebration set.

LEGO Classic 11021 - 90 Years of Play
1100 pcs, US $49.99 / €49.99, 1st-May 2022

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

A 90th Anniversary Classic set appeared 11021 , so the Castle rumour certainly isn't the only celebration set.

LEGO Classic 11021 - 90 Years of Play
1100 pcs, US $49.99 / €49.99, 1st-May 2022

And, spoiler alert, it features a brick-built Toa Mata Tahu from Bionicle!

Very uninspiring. It's just a standard Classic "bucket set" with a name change.

Okay, that is pretty neat. However I kind of mostly want it as a poster? The front of the box is a lovely design and I think that would look really good on the wall. Maybe if I get it I can convince my sister to get it scanned and printed as a poster on good paper-stock she works for a small print company who might let me get a little one just for me...

Also, yeah! My all time favourite set is a feature!

On 3/25/2022 at 5:38 AM, MAB said:

Very uninspiring. It's just a standard Classic "bucket set" with a name change.

I dunno, I think it's super charming. Yes, it's mostly the same sort of parts you'd find in any LEGO Classic brick assortment, but that doesn't negate the appeal of all the cute (and in most cases, instantly recognizable) "throwback" builds recognizing various milestones in LEGO's history.

Certainly it excites me at least as much as previous microscale throwback builds like 40290, and a lot MORE than the generic "anniversary tubs" of the 90s and 2000s like 3026 and 4496. And it'd be silly to expect every set for LEGO's 90th anniversary to be some show-stopping spectacle with Creator Expert quality builds.

Edited by Aanchir

On 3/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, danth said:

I think the latest classic 90th anniversary set makes this theory (unfortunately) even more unlikely. I think there's a rumoured 90th anniversary promo yet to be revealed but that I assume is going to cover only 1 theme and it's probably going to be castle to go along the 350$ set

Since Bionicle apparently came in 2nd place behind Castle, what if LEGO gave Bionicle a runner-up product if The Lion King’s Castle sells successful?

I know this is unlikely, but it’d still be a good idea.

4 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Since Bionicle apparently came in 2nd place behind Castle, what if LEGO gave Bionicle a runner-up product if The Lion King’s Castle sells successful?

Where does this information originate from?

I also question this statement since in the 2nd round TLG decided to group sub-themes. Given the sub-theme vote numbers from round 1 and summing them up you can quickly see that top 3 most voted themes get shifted and Bionicle comes to 3rd place (with around 10k difference between 2nd place) which is still an impressive score for sure. I'm not saying that the numbers were similar in the 2nd round and I realise circumstances were different but this is a reasonable analogy/projection that other people have made 

I would personally like a Bionicle follow-up product but I think chances are very low, especially after the reveal of the 90th anniversary classic set

5 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I know this is unlikely, but it’d still be a good idea.

Bionicle would be difficult for LEGO to make without CCBS parts (though they could use the new System-CCBS hybrid pieces), and it is probably considered to be too much of a niche theme. If LEGO does any kind of follow-up to the Castle, I suspect that it would either be Pirates (perhaps Imperials, to oppose the PoBB?) or Space, as both of those themes have broader markets and would be easier to make with existing parts. 

16 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

Where does this information originate from?

I also question this statement since in the 2nd round TLG decided to group sub-themes. Given the sub-theme vote numbers from round 1 and summing them up you can quickly see that top 3 most voted themes get shifted and Bionicle comes to 3rd place (with around 10k difference between 2nd place) which is still an impressive score for sure. I'm not saying that the numbers were similar in the 2nd round and I realise circumstances were different but this is a reasonable analogy/projection that other people have made 

I would personally like a Bionicle follow-up product but I think chances are very low, especially after the reveal of the 90th anniversary classic set

15 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Bionicle would be difficult for LEGO to make without CCBS parts (though they could use the new System-CCBS hybrid pieces), and it is probably considered to be too much of a niche theme. If LEGO does any kind of follow-up to the Castle, I suspect that it would either be Pirates (perhaps Imperials, to oppose the PoBB?) or Space, as both of those themes have broader markets and would be easier to make with existing parts. 

Sorry, I was just guessing that Bionicle came in 2nd place behind Castle. I made that post for no reason.

Stonewars did about as comprehensive of an analysis on this that we're likely to get. It was only on the first round votes and tried to take into account the fact that those voting Bionicle and only wanting Bionicle essentially had a single vote, but those wanting System stuff had three votes. You can't get too granular with the data, but all the different ways of cutting it shows that Bionicle is popular amongst those that voted and will generally land somewhere in the top 3.

Bionicle Leads LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Survey: An Analysis (stonewars.net)