Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Why would their be a "compromise", this is a one off fan vote should not matter what else is on shelf's, but what fans voted most for right?! :wacko:

To me the wording of the announcement makes it seem like the final set will not necessarily be based purely on which of the finalists got the most votes.

One of these three themes will be what the 90th Anniversary Set will be based on, but we still want to know what the most popular of the final three is!“

12 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

My theory on that is that they mostly threw those other options out as a means of doing some market research among hardcore fans about what kind of stuff still has appeal and what doesn't.  There were definitely some really weird choices on there, namely the fact that they had Divers as a separate subtheme, and that they separated out certain themes into different subthemes (Castle) and some only split into a couple of different subthemes (Pirates and Imperials, and if I remember correctly they had Space, Ice Planet 2002, and Mars Mission, but no other Space subthemes?  I know that technically Rock Raiders is set in space, but that doesn't really count since there's, at best, one space-y vehicle in there).

They actually did list most Space subthemes individually! You can see the full list of poll options on the first page. Classic Space, Blacktron, Space Police, M:Tron, Ice Planet, Spyrius, and Exploriens were all listed separately.

There were some 90s Space subthemes omitted (Unitron, Roboforce, U.F.O, and Insectoids), but in the case of Unitron and Roboforce in particular, that was probably because they were small wacves that had an extremely limited release — same as with the Dark Forest wave of LEGO Castle, the Aquaraiders wave of LEGO Aquazone, or the final 1997 wave of LEGO Pirates.

Also, the choice to list Paradisa, Divers, Extreme Team, and Arctic separately was probably because those subthemes WERE in fact listed as separate categories in a lot of catalogs and marketing materials, rather than sharing space with other Town subthemes from those years.

A lot of these choices may not be intuitive to us from a fan standpoint, but I strongly doubt that any of the poll options were subthemes that LEGO was determined to reject regardless of how they did in the poll. After all, I suspect that Western and Islanders were omitted from the poll options specifically because they WERE ruled out in advance due to all the insensitive cultural stereotypes in those themes.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

They actually did list most Space subthemes individually! You can see the full list of poll options on the first page. Classic Space, Blacktron, Space Police, M:Tron, Ice Planet, Spyrius, and Exploriens were all listed separately.

A lot of these choices may not be intuitive to us from a fan standpoint, but I strongly doubt that any of the poll options were subthemes that LEGO was determined to reject regardless of how they did in the poll. After all, I suspect that Western and Islanders were omitted from the poll options specifically because they WERE ruled out in advance due to all the insensitive cultural stereotypes in those themes.

Huh, I was misremembering then, thanks!  I didn't pull it up to check, and that's what I get :laugh:

Just to clarify, I don't think that they intentionally set up any themes to fail or auto-reject, but more so that they didn't really expect certain themes to win and just included it either

a) to see how popular it still is

b) on the off chance that it did actually get enough votes

On 3/3/2022 at 10:56 PM, Agent Kallus said:

Given other ideas polls and contests I'd like to say that I think we'd have been told if it was a GWP but maybe not.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but the Grand Prize for the latest competition over on Lego Ideas includes the 90th Anniversary set as one part of it.

I'm not saying the silhouette here is to scale, but it is important to highlight that this set will be the difference between the runner-up prizes (the other three sets), and the Grand Prize (those three plus the 90th set)

For comparison, the sets in that slot for the last few comps (i.e. the difference between Grand & runner-up):

• Guitar contest: A real life fender Stratocaster guitar & the Ideas Grand Piano set
  • Most recent Lego House comp: Brick Moulding machine set & Winnie the Pooh set.

A lot of their comps don't have equivalent sets between the Grand & Runners-up so it's hard to pick out a pattern, but this does look much bigger than just a GWP set. I'd guesstimate in the €100-€200 range. An outside chance of it being a big €350 set, but keep those expectations low.

5R8kFOV.png

Winner announcement for that comp is May 5th, so hopefully some better news on what this set will include by that stage.

Edited by Yoggington
typo

7 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Winner announcement for that comp is May 5th, so hopefully some better news on what this set will include by that stage.

Nice idea, but they've done these before where one the prizes was the 'next Ideas set', and announced the winner before the set was known, so we may not hear anything about it on May 5. But equally, it might be part of the fun to announce the set and competition winners at the same time.

4 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Nice idea, but they've done these before where one the prizes was the 'next Ideas set', and announced the winner before the set was known, so we may not hear anything about it on May 5. But equally, it might be part of the fun to announce the set and competition winners at the same time.

To be sure. I'm well used to keeping the expectation dampened, we'll see it when we see it.

So long as we know before the 100th anniversary I'll be a happy camper.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, Yoggington said:

Dang, what's taking them so long for just one set? The Poll was held all the way back in February of last year. Assuming the set choice was made immediately after the poll closed, I don't see what could have possibly taken then so long to design the set. The thought that it will probably be revealed only In May at the earliest and most likely even later than that is just mind boggling to me. 

36 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Dang, what's taking them so long for just one set? The Poll was held all the way back in February of last year. Assuming the set choice was made immediately after the poll closed, I don't see what could have possibly taken then so long to design the set. The thought that it will probably be revealed only In May at the earliest and most likely even later than that is just mind boggling to me. 

I think 1 year is very short, normally it takes them longer to develop a set I think, if I remember correctly over 1,5 years is the norm I believe  :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Roebuck

On 3/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, Roebuck said:

They did not think it true enough that was why there was so many strange would not say categories, but divided themes, space had several:

1. Bionicle - 24799
  2. Classic Space - 18171
  3. Pirates - 15884
  4. Trains - 14855
  5. Adventurers - 13988
  6. Classic Castle -12603
  7. Forestmen - 8056
  8. Lion Knights - 7117
  9. Imperials - 7012
  10. Town - 6610
  11. Black Knights - 6427
  12. Model Team - 6397
  13. Dragon Knights - 6334
  14. Space Police - 5738
  15. Rock Raiders - 5298
  16. Studios - 5179
  17. Blacktron - 5088
  18. Ice Planet - 4503
  19. Black Falcons - 4244
  20. Aquazone - 4051
  21. M-Tron - 3555
  22. Alpha Team - 2807
  23. Paradisa - 2584
  24. Time Cruisers - 2234
  25. Wolfpack - 2111
  26. Exploriens - 1695
  27. Arctic - 1620
  28. Divers - 1424

It was a fairly typical lego survey. They seemed to do it without thinking about what they were going to do with the data. But then I imaginevmany people answered it without thinking too much too. How many people voting for Classic Castle really wanted a yellow castle, or did they vote believing they were voting for combinations of other options in the poll.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Jiesdeo said:

Because Lego's 90th anniversary isn't until August.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Because it will take a while, and, as was pointed out before, the anniversary isn't until August, so we'll more likely get it then.

On 3/6/2022 at 3:08 AM, Roebuck said:

1. Bionicle - 24799
  2. Classic Space - 18171
  3. Pirates - 15884
  4. Trains - 14855
  5. Adventurers - 13988
  6. Classic Castle -12603
  7. Forestmen - 8056
  8. Lion Knights - 7117
  9. Imperials - 7012
  10. Town - 6610
  11. Black Knights - 6427
  12. Model Team - 6397
  13. Dragon Knights - 6334
  14. Space Police - 5738
  15. Rock Raiders - 5298
  16. Studios - 5179
  17. Blacktron - 5088
  18. Ice Planet - 4503
  19. Black Falcons - 4244
  20. Aquazone - 4051
  21. M-Tron - 3555
  22. Alpha Team - 2807
  23. Paradisa - 2584
  24. Time Cruisers - 2234
  25. Wolfpack - 2111
  26. Exploriens - 1695
  27. Arctic - 1620
  28. Divers - 1424

Awe man! Town is only in 10th place! I guess it makes sense though given that Bionicle kinda stands out and the space, pirates and castle themes are obsessor targets within the Lego community. 

Edited by Poodabricks

The set is going to be a €350 castle :thumbup: Finally! I don‘t really care about the set, but this will hopefully shut the complainers up :tongue: 

Just kidding, they will never stop yammering 

A big Castle set for sure would be my favorite choice, I really do hope it has multiple horses with saddles, and/or horse armor.

My personal favorite Lion Faction are the 1995 Royal Knights but the original Crusaders/Lion Knights (1984-1991)  would be a lot more time-appropriate considering the recent appearances or Black Falcons (1984-1992) , 3-in-1 Castle and Blacksmith are still available.

Crusaders also got an appearance in 2016 Classic Knight promotion.

tn_5004419_alt3_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

I only ever had Lion Faction, and even then just a couple to go against the Forest Men, so it will be very nostalgic for me. Especially as the Bricklink Castle in the Forest just arrived. So I can recreate my childhood setup!

44 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The set is going to be a €350 castle :thumbup: Finally! I don‘t really care about the set, but this will hopefully shut the complainers up :tongue: 

Just kidding, they will never stop yammering 

A pink Unikitty castle with minidolls, you say? 

Well, I've already got the Blacksmith set and two Creator Castles. Not sure I have an appetite for even more castle so soon, especially at that scale.

Meanwhile...still no Space creator set. I guess this puts the nail in the coffin for Space.

^ There's always next year!  I'm excited to see what the 90th Anniversary castle will be like.

The theme picked definitely deserves to be represented as 90th anniversary set. I would have been slightly more excited if it was a classic space set but this is great nonetheless

And I just received my ideas blacksmith today! What a coincidence :laugh: I'll for sure be buying this set but I expect it to be really hefty for that price tag

Was hoping for Bionicle but honestly I don't really mind that much, I'm sure the castle set is gonna kick megablocks anyway. Congrats to Castle fans, hope y'all enjoy it!

If it'll have an interesting more grown-upy design, I'm all for Lego robbing me of 350 euros. Unless it's just a regular *** looking castle like the Creator one, but bigger :)

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

I only ever had Lion Faction, and even then just a couple to go against the Forest Men, so it will be very nostalgic for me. Especially as the Bricklink Castle in the Forest just arrived. So I can recreate my childhood setup!

Wouldn't it be amazing if we got updated versions of the classic factions? One can dream... But this set sounds like a step on a direction many of us would love.