Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

5 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Dude, the only people that knew G2 even happened were G1 fans, and most of them just bought it because it had "Bionicle" written on it. I'm absolutely certain that out of that group of folks, somewhere below 5% would have preferred it to G1

Uhm... I actually wouldn't have gotten into Bionicle in the first place if it weren't for G2. When I first got into LEGO in 2010, Bionicle was just ending, so I couldn't properly get into it, so I became invested in Hero Factory instead. When G2 was first announced, I was like "Oh cool, Bionicle is back" and bought several of the G2 sets, while also looking back at what came before, and thus I also got into G1. If it weren't for G2, I probably wouldn't have been a Bionicle fan in the first place, so at the very least, I have to give it credit for that. 

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Interesting that there was a recent LEGO IDEAS Bionicle project that didn't pass review. 

Given the recent stream of approved projects (out of the 35 projects in the last review, only one passed), I don't trust LEGO Ideas at all anymore. It seems like all they're looking to do with that platform is either just a vessel to get more licenses, or get more sets "aimed at adults". Even if the Bionicle community managed to get a Bionicle project to 10k each time a review stage comes around, I still don't think LEGO would care at all either way (for instance, just look at the ridiculous amount of Legend of Zelda projects that constantly get denied, despite the obvious demand for a Zelda set).

I have far more trust in the newer LEGO World Builder platform than in LEGO Ideas at this point, but maybe that's just me.

15 minutes ago, MAB said:

And why would this set be unique? Something unique would be doing something they haven't done before. That seems to be precisely the opposite of what LEGO wanted here.

It would still be unique among LEGO 18+ lineup of sets though. A large articulated figure doesn't seem like the typical thing we would usually get from an 18+ set.

Edited by Lego David

31 minutes ago, Lego David said:

It would still be unique among LEGO 18+ lineup of sets though. A large articulated figure doesn't seem like the typical thing we would usually get from an 18+ set.

A castle, pirates or a classic space set would also be unique among LEGO 18+ sets. We don't have any of those. 

48 minutes ago, MAB said:

Bionicle got Mixels

If you honestly think Mixels was for Bionicle fans then castle fans have ninjago, space fans have the lego movie as well as star wars, and both of them had nexo knights apparently 

Anyone stoked for 20 years from now when nostalgic Ninjago fans will be the big demographic? "Bring back classic Ninjago!", they'll say, and they'll deluge every fan poll, and people will say "enough with the classic Ninjago requests", and a huge subforum on here will be JUST for Ninjago...

Well, I don't look forward to that time, because Ninjago minifigs on Bricklink will be extremely expensive!

What a double bind, eh? My precious Aquazone has cheap parts on BL, but only because it never achieved the power and status of old-timey space or castle or what have you. Well, it had a good run. I suppose for my purposes, the ideal theme is one that is strong enough at the time to last a while, has enough demand for several waves, but is a cult anti-classic so the prices of its parts stay low for decades. (So I suppose, something that is popular with children at the time, but doesn't evoke their nostalgia very much later?) Or, am I just an early part of an Aquazone generation, and most people who grew up with it are still in their dark ages?

Yes, I'm rambling. But, may the best theme win. I almost wish I'd voted pirates in the final round, out of greed... I want more pirates! I'd buy a lot of pirates! It's a travesty that excellent ship didn't pass ideas review! But, I still think I was right to vote castle, that in some sense, castle deserved it the most. I can't really articulate why. But it just seemed right. Castle is just such an... Obvious thing for Lego to produce, such a clearly right evergreen theme, much less specific than "neon-canopied spacecraft with a contrasting and a neutral body color". Surely knights and dragons are still a hit with children...

8 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

If you honestly think Mixels was for Bionicle fans then castle fans have ninjago, space fans have the lego movie as well as star wars, and both of them had nexo knights apparently 

Exactly. If one fan group can say another group should be happy with what they have received as they think it fits, that is spot on.

3 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

Surely knights and dragons are still a hit with children...

You have split castle fans right there, historical vs fantasy.

4 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

But, may the best theme win. I almost wish I'd voted pirates in the final round, out of greed... I want more pirates! I'd buy a lot of pirates! It's a travesty that excellent ship didn't pass ideas review!

Lego did not want any more pirate sets on ideas, it was a lot of submitted imperial sets after the B-Bay came out. Lego removed a lot during vote collecting, then stopped similar ideas to be submitted in the first place and of course refused the 3 ones in review. Why?! Because they most likely are working on something similar themself :pir-grin:
I wanted imperials(pirates) the most also, but like you voted castle because;

1. A vote for pirates could likely end up as a new pirate ship and not a Eldorado fortress remade super set since imperials was a different category
  2. Castle has a better chance of beating space and bonkle I think
  3. Castle fans are more "hungry" than pirates fans right now
  4. A better chance to get the goat back!
  5. 7189 Mill Village Raid is my favourite set of all time, so even if the potential 90 year set is a castle, it is still possible to include a lot of animals and civilian figs

7 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

I vote more out of fandom solidarity than any hope of getting anything, I know better than to expect much from lego

Dude, the only people that knew G2 even happened were G1 fans, and most of them just bought it because it had "Bionicle" written on it. I'm absolutely certain that out of that group of folks, somewhere below 5% would have preferred it to G1

You can 'dude' me all you want. You're plucking guesses out of your butt and claiming as facts when they're not. 

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Uhm... I actually wouldn't have gotten into Bionicle in the first place if it weren't for G2. When I first got into LEGO in 2010, Bionicle was just ending, so I couldn't properly get into it, so I became invested in Hero Factory instead. When G2 was first announced, I was like "Oh cool, Bionicle is back" and bought several of the G2 sets, while also looking back at what came before, and thus I also got into G1. If it weren't for G2, I probably wouldn't have been a Bionicle fan in the first place, so at the very least, I have to give it credit for that. 

Given the recent stream of approved projects (out of the 35 projects in the last review, only one passed), I don't trust LEGO Ideas at all anymore. It seems like all they're looking to do with that platform is either just a vessel to get more licenses, or get more sets "aimed at adults". Even if the Bionicle community managed to get a Bionicle project to 10k each time a review stage comes around, I still don't think LEGO would care at all either way (for instance, just look at the ridiculous amount of Legend of Zelda projects that constantly get denied, despite the obvious demand for a Zelda set).

I have far more trust in the newer LEGO World Builder platform than in LEGO Ideas at this point, but maybe that's just me.

Respect to you for popping up with that first paragraph :thumbup:

I also agree on your view of the ideas page. I just don't feel like it's doing what it was originally designed for. I mean, a piano, a ball maze, a picture of a painting, a globe?? These aren't exciting sets... 

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Yes, it's a Lego Ideas set that could work in the theme of Space and it will likely be adapted into a set in early 2022.

If you're not joking... You have to have a serious look at your education and upbringing if this is an acceptable conclusion for you. 

If you seriously do believe the globe to count as a space set, then what you bionicle fan complaining about not having any sets out? You have this:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/underwater-robot-31090 

1 hour ago, Kingriedak said:

You guys are claiming space and Castle fans have that anyway!! Hence why we say that, to show how ridiculous your claims are! 

Even I'll happily say mixels isn't bionicle, but if you claim absurdities like space has a frickin globe and nexo knights, then yes, mixels must count for Bionicle, as does the currently available underwater robot as linked to above. 

Just stop claiming those themes have sets when they're just not of that theme/meaning, it's just making you guys look desperate and presents you as trolls. 

*edit*

I just remembered, I collected a lot of the mixels because they were awesome... Am I classed as a bionicle fan now? Or system? I feel I'm having an identity crisis :laugh:

Edited by Fuppylodders

24 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I just remembered, I collected a lot of the mixels because they were awesome... Am I classed as a bionicle fan now? Or system? I feel I'm having an identity crisis :laugh:

Besides both of them being about articulated figures, those two themes have pretty much nothing to do with each other, and they appealed to completely opposite markets. Bionicle got a deep lore with often dark elements (especially for a LEGO theme), while Mixels got a silly kids cartoon show on Cartoon Network.

The closest thing we ever got to a Bionicle successor was Hero Factory, but that got canned in favor of the Bionicle reboot.

Edited by Lego David

7 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Maybe in the Echo Chamber of Dedicated Bionicle fandom sites that is what people like to conclude. However, the sets were in stores, on the toy department shelves and sold. They sold so well that my goal of picking up sets on clearance to collect the gold masks (got projects in mind) was blown out of the water; All of them were gone before clearance/sale time. Even in The Entertainer who sell things at more than retail, certainly at the Lego Store near me and despite my efforts and many many locations to seek out LEGO (where I had seen full price stock) I couldn't find any. Heck, nothing even arrived at TKMax, which can be relied upon for the odd overstocked sets come Christmas Shopping season.

Conjecture it may be, but it was my experience. 

What fans can forget is the target audience of kids might not engage in the theme the same way our generation did. (I was a kid who remembers the first wave G1, I played the game on LEGO.com, I eagerly awaited the release of The Mask of Light and treasure the trans-neon yellow Lewa mask I got for free at LEGOLand). There are a lot more distractions crowding out everything that a 30 y/o would have engaged with as a child so the theme either did not have the success TLG hoped for, or, like many themes, it was only planned for two waves. 

It was mentioned earlier, but Ninjago is the absolute exception to the rule of most themes/subthemes. Something that does not last as long is not a failure, it simply runs as planned in the first place.

Anywho; maybe the popularity in the vote will set in motion another try at Constraction? I am sure it will not be what all the G1 fans want (new stuff seldom is what any G1 fans want in any fandom) but it will at least supply new parts to play around with.

19 hours ago, Scarilian said:

As mentioned, all the other options are already getting a set. Pirates, Castle and Space will all have a Lego Ideas set out and available. It makes no sense for Lego to ignore the popularity of Bionicle in the first poll, especially when they now have a 'get out of jail card' by simply adapting a singular set which they get to test in a new style, seeing if it is possible for them to adapt Bionicle at all without relying on CCBS or Constraction pieces.

The top three (potentially 4) themes would give Lego the choice and they already had plans for Pirates, Castle and Space... so Bionicle is the only option they did not have plans for. Therefore it makes sense for them to adapt Bionicle in a singular set. That way every one of the top three (4?) themes would be active and adapted in some form for 2022, maybe even the top 5 considering Trains is currently active.

What Space sets are coming via Ideas? Not being snarky, I haven't seen anything approved along those lines. Maybe I missed them?

6 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

You can 'dude' me all you want.

Cool dude, I'll continue to casually do so in any and every discussion I have as usual

7 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

You're plucking guesses out of your butt and claiming as facts when they're not.

And as someone who's been in the community through out both of G1 and G2's runs, I'm pretty confident in those guesses

Thus why I gave a small discrepancy of around 5 percent, although I didn't factor in Hero Factory at all into this, I should have, I loved that theme and there's (obviously) a huge overlap of people who were into it and into Bionicle. But without that, There aren't many people who's first constraction theme was G2, since it was barely marketed anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

either did not have the success TLG hoped for, or, like many themes, it was only planned for two waves

If I recall correctly, at NYTF in 2014, where G2 was first announced, they promised that G2 would have a run of at least three years, and they didn’t respect that promise, with the line being abruptly cancelled after barely completing its second year. That’s why so many people in the community think G2 failed, because otherwise, it should have lasted for at least another year. 

6 minutes ago, Lego David said:

If I recall correctly, at NYTF in 2014, where G2 was first announced, they promised that G2 would have a run of at least three years, and they didn’t respect that promise, with the line being abruptly cancelled after barely completing its second year. That’s why so many people in the community think G2 failed, because otherwise, it should have lasted for at least another year. 

Right, will have to go and check that out. I always saw the second wave as a poor attempt (hella ugly, sorry) at carrying on the nice designs of wave one. Though, got to wonder if they found some way to weasle it as three years, as that does happen from time to time.

22 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Cool dude, I'll continue to casually do so in any and every discussion I have as usual

And there's the childish antagonising troll behaviour that makes you look pathetic. 

Crack on :laugh:

30 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Besides both of them being about articulated figures, those two themes have pretty much nothing to do with each other, and they appealed to completely opposite markets. Bionicle got a deep lore with often dark elements (especially for a LEGO theme), while Mixels got a silly kids cartoon show on Cartoon Network.

The closest thing we ever got to a Bionicle successor was Hero Factory, but that got canned in favor of the Bionicle reboot.

Sorry, my bad. It was a light hearted joke aimed at those claiming anything remotely connected to the word 'space' (such as a globe of the earth, Nexo Knights etc) was a Space set and therefore, that mixels must be themed as bionicle because ball joints.... 

6 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

the second wave as a poor attempt (hella ugly, sorry)

Naw, they were ugly as sin tbh. Still bought them all though and I still cant find a good use for any of their masks yet

4 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

And there's the childish antagonising troll behaviour that makes you look pathetic.

I'm not even trolling, I'm using my normal vocabulary, you're the guy here who's trying to find some hidden meaning behind the use of the word "Dude"

3 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Naw, they were ugly as sin tbh. Still bought them all though and I still cant find a good use for any of their masks yet

I'm not even trolling, I'm using my normal vocabulary, you're the guy here who's trying to find some hidden meaning behind the use of the word "Dude"

Whatever floats your boat, you keep on with your delusions :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Am I the only one who actually quite liked the second wave of G2?

2 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Not really, but you're free to think as such :thumbup:

Thanks dude, I will

1 minute ago, Lego David said:

Probably not, but you're definitely one of the few, why do you like them man?

5 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Nope. You're one of just under 5% of bionicle fans according to solid facts..... :laugh:

34 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Probably not, but you're definitely one of the few, why do you like them man?

To me, they look like a clear upgrade from the 2015 versions, much like the 2001 Toa Mata VS 2002 Toa Nuva. But from my understanding, people dislike the Toa Nuva too? I don't understand why. It's nice to have variety between each versions of the toa in my opinion.

To me, they look like a clear upgrade from the 2015 versions, much like the 2001 Toa Mata VS 2002 Toa Nuva. But from my understanding, people dislike the Toa Nuva too? I don't understand why. It's nice to have variety between each versions of the toa in my opinion.

Mmm, I'm one of those folks who prefers the 01 lads to the 02 lads, I didn't really care as a kid though, but as I grew I realized that Bionicle was just a lot nicer when we had fewer metallic colours. That being said, I don't dislike the Nuva compared to the Mata nearly as much as I dislike the Uniters compared to the Masters, their designs are...trying too hard? they're so over the top and loud, if they just toned down the metallics and transparent bits, they'd improve alot, although I really appreciate the trans purple that we got on Onua

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I like the Mata more since there is less silver. Almost all weapons after the Mata are silver, all shields after the Mata are silver... I think it looks bland.

Then again, I really like colours and wished there would be more than 6. Yellow, purple and pink are clearly missing :(

23 hours ago, Lego David said:

On the question of why people didn't really like 2016 wave, was doing some slight reading on past threads and kinda found out at least a couple reasons. Turns out there was some distaste towards the technic-esque techniques used for certain limbs and the color choices on the high usage of silver or gold (which is one of the reasons on why the Mistika Toa Nuva are not that fondly remembered)

Of course these most likely only represent some of the community's opinion rather than all.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, Lego David said:

I had a very similar origin too, got into buying Bionicle at the very tail end of Stars (which was also my first entry point of fully going into LEGO), however because it ended and Hero Factory was available in store, I too over went there and became invested. 

Bigger differences would be in my very younger days, I was aware of the Scholastic books though it's just the covers and pictures that I'm only able to pick-up from. And I was also fortunate enough to have Makuta's and Mata Nui's Guide available in stores to explore the line. But despite that, it wasn't the same as the actual wave being there, so looking back is all I can do. G2, especially 2016 did pretty much gave me the feeling on what it felt like to be part of a Bionicle wave.

On another note, I can finally see why in past discussions you were hearkening back to 2010. As someone who also got into LEGO in 2010, I can definitely relate to that. That year certainly have a special charm to it. I will always cherish that crumpled and worn catalogue of mine, exploring the world of bricks and minifigures haha! It's one of my two favorite years of LEGO out of the 11 years even though most of them were already pretty good.

19 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Mmm, I'm one of those folks who prefers the 01 lads to the 02 lads, I didn't really care as a kid though, but as I grew I realized that Bionicle was just a lot nicer when we had fewer metallic colours. That being said, I don't dislike the Nuva compared to the Mata nearly as much as I dislike the Uniters compared to the Masters, their designs are...trying too hard? they're so over the top and loud, if they just toned down the metallics and transparent bits, they'd improve alot, although I really appreciate the trans purple that we got on Onua

Ironically, during the times where scholastic books in the library were my only references to Bionicle, I much prefer the looks of the Nuva more than the Mata. While I do like the Mata as there is a certain charm to them, I never really find them really "cool". I still find the Nuva much more badass than the Mata today. 

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)