Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

12 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

If it what planned properly they could have gotten the same kind of data by have only main categories like Castle and when you vote on that you will get a second question on what kind of subtheme you would like to vote on :shrug_oh_well:

Potentially :shrug_oh_well: Either way could work, I like the idea of Lego having an understanding of the community and having already had a plan on how to please mostly everyone :tongue:

I definitely think I might be onto something with the idea of 2020's each have a planned remake of an old set and an Ideas set that fits the theme - it's probably just Lego picking an Ideas set first and then making an associated $100 set but it's still a neat thing if it continues. Means that when an Ideas set is selected, if it matches a previous Lego theme, then we'd get both the ideas set along with potentially another set or wave of sets focused around the theme in the future.

I would not be surprised if Western/Wild West ends up being one of these, it was absent from the poll.

• Pirates: 2020
  • Castle: 2021
  • Space: 2022
  • Western?: 2023

While everyone is distracted by the 90th anniversary poll nobody would realise or notice that 2020 to 2030 would have a classic theme set remake each year under the Ideas theme and/or a $100 set associated with the theme. Time the 100th anniversary rolls around you have already spent the last 10 years making a remake of sets from your 10 most popular themes to show that you can bring them back at any point if fans like them another, along with demonstrating the companies growth in regards to set designing.

Edited by Scarilian

Unless castle gets a clear mandate (which I'm hoping for), then... Man having four themes in the final makes Bionicle more likely to win in the end. (Well, to the degree the round 2 poll controls what we get, anyway.) I mean, pitting the big three classic Lego originals against each other... Surely we can imagine the vote being fairly evenly split between them. But, maybe it won't be, or Bionicle voters will be less than 25% overall? I just don't know. Hopefully they tell us soon what they're doing, so that we can all be elated or enraged, as appropriate.

Now, if only Aquazone had done well enough that Lego took notice! But, I'll bide my time, and be back for the next big old-themes poll!

5 hours ago, danth said:

No they don't. Literally nobody does. Go look on Brickset or Bricklink. Those sets are not listed under Space. Space (big S) != space (little S).

And POBB and Blacksmith are IDEAS sets, not Pirates and Castle.

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

By splitting Castle they performed analysis on the most popular Castle themes,

Or, they didn't really put much thought in before the poll was released and made a stupid mistake. 

8 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

Man having four themes in the final makes Bionicle more likely to win in the end.

Its interesting how a sizable chunk of afols think that lego will allow Bionicle to win but many Bionicle fans know better

And nearly 25,000 of the 77,000 people in round 1 voted for Bionicle, which is about 32% of the vote

16 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Its interesting how a sizable chunk of afols think that lego will allow Bionicle to win but many Bionicle fans know better

And nearly 25,000 of the 77,000 people in round 1 voted for Bionicle, which is about 32% of the vote

Its interesting how people still ignore the fact that the second fanvote results bears no direction to what set gets made and thus making it pointless to 'not allow bonkles to win!11!1', if Bionicle does win, it'll be shown to have won. Still doesn't mean that'll decide what set gets made. TLG are probably already making the set as we speak having already decided out of the 4.

Additionally, it's interesting how you guys cling on to bionicle having more votes than any, yet bionicle wasn't split between g1, g2, and it's reboot, while castle was. Yet with castles subthemes pooled into one castle category as it should have been-- as TLG admitted how it should have been and was a mistake not to, that castle got 33k individual user votes, far exceeding bionicle. 

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Its interesting how people still ignore the fact that the second fanvote results bears no direction to what set gets made and thus making it pointless to 'not allow bonkles to win!11!1', if Bionicle does win, it'll be shown to have won. Still doesn't mean that'll decide what set gets made. TLG are probably already making the set as we speak having already decided out of the 4.

Additionally, it's interesting how you guys cling on to bionicle having more votes than any, yet bionicle wasn't split between g1, g2, and it's reboot, while castle was. Yet with castles subthemes pooled into one castle category as it should have been-- as TLG admitted how it should have been and was a mistake not to, that castle got 33k individual user votes, far exceeding bionicle. 

By "winning" I am talking about getting a set made. lego most likely isn't going to pick Bionicle despite what many pessimistic afols say

And you do realize that the only people that think of G2 when they hear "Bionicle" were born after 2010 right? It goes without saying that the Bionicle vote was for G1. Honestly you should be thankful the vote wasn't split between G1 and G2 otherwise the top 2 spots may have very well both been Bionicle

2 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

By "winning" I am talking about getting a set made. lego most likely isn't going to pick Bionicle despite what many pessimistic afols say

And you do realize that the only people that think of G2 when they hear "Bionicle" were born after 2010 right? It goes without saying that the Bionicle vote was for G1. Honestly you should be thankful the vote wasn't split between G1 and G2 otherwise the top 2 spots may have very well both been Bionicle

Lego have a habit of surprising us now and then. However, if I'm honest, a genuine bionicle set probably won't be made. If they did, I do hope they do a good job and it satisfies the people that voted for it. 

I mean, if you're soooo insistent that they won't, then what was the point in voting at all? You have to have some hope for it to happen. 

Nah no need to be thankful at all. 

I don't think for one second that it goes without saying that the Bionicle vote was all for g1. There will be people out there that do like g2. You can't tell me absolutely no one bought the g2 sets, you're throwing huge exaggerated assumptions around. 

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Or, they didn't really put much thought in before the poll was released and made a stupid mistake. 

Doubt it, they know Castle is one of the longest themes and the reality is that different subthemes of castle appeal to different audiences - some are focused on knights, some blend aspects of fantasy, others are focused on the medieval aspects like jousting.

4 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

As mentioned, all the other options are already getting a set. Pirates, Castle and Space will all have a Lego Ideas set out and available. It makes no sense for Lego to ignore the popularity of Bionicle in the first poll, especially when they now have a 'get out of jail card' by simply adapting a singular set which they get to test in a new style, seeing if it is possible for them to adapt Bionicle at all without relying on CCBS or Constraction pieces.

The top three (potentially 4) themes would give Lego the choice and they already had plans for Pirates, Castle and Space... so Bionicle is the only option they did not have plans for. Therefore it makes sense for them to adapt Bionicle in a singular set. That way every one of the top three (4?) themes would be active and adapted in some form for 2022, maybe even the top 5 considering Trains is currently active.

Even if Lego chose Bionicle I don't think fans would get what they want. From what I've seen (here and on the Ideas website) most people want either closure for the theme itself or constraction sets in general. While I don't know much about Bionicle's story I seriously doubt one single set can finish it properly. And of course people who want more constraction sets in general would still want more (just like castle and pirates fans also want more sets despite having some recent sets).

However, I do think that Bionicle's success in the vote might have a chance at catching Lego's attention and they might try again with the concept. Perhaps not enough to start a new theme, but enough to add a constraction line to an existing theme like they tried with super heroes and Star Wars. I think Ninjago would be a good choice for that since it has plenty of characters that would make good constraction sets. 

14 minutes ago, dysnomia said:

However, I do think that Bionicle's success in the vote might have a chance at catching Lego's attention and they might try again with the concept. Perhaps not enough to start a new theme, but enough to add a constraction line to an existing theme like they tried with super heroes and Star Wars. I think Ninjago would be a good choice for that since it has plenty of characters that would make good constraction sets. 

That's the main reason most Bionicle fans voted for Bionicle in the poll. A lot of them seriously doubt that LEGO would choose it in order to represent then for their 90th anniversary, but they do hope that if it does well in the poll, than it will get LEGO's attention and potentially generate more sets outside the 90th anniversary occasion.

43 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Doubt it, they know Castle is one of the longest themes and the reality is that different subthemes of castle appeal to different audiences - some are focused on knights, some blend aspects of fantasy, others are focused on the medieval aspects like jousting

But actually look at what they chose to picture the supposedly different themes (not subthemes, as you could also add what subtheme you were interested in if you wanted to):

For Classic Castle, they chose a castle with some knights on horses.

For Lion Knights, they chose a castle with some knights on horses.

For Black Falcons, they chose a castle with some knights on horses.

For Forestmen, they chose a castle-like structure in a tree and a horse.

For Black Knights, they chose a castle with some knights on horses.

For Wolfpack, they chose a haunted castle. No horses!

For Dragon Knights, they chose a dragon shaped castle, with a knight on a horse and a dragon.

Edited by MAB

35 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

As mentioned, all the other options are already getting a set. Pirates, Castle and Space will all have a Lego Ideas set out and available. It makes no sense for Lego to ignore the popularity of Bionicle in the first poll, especially when they now have a 'get out of jail card' by simply adapting a singular set which they get to test in a new style, seeing if it is possible for them to adapt Bionicle at all without relying on CCBS or Constraction pieces.

The top three (potentially 4) themes would give Lego the choice and they already had plans for Pirates, Castle and Space... so Bionicle is the only option they did not have plans for. Therefore it makes sense for them to adapt Bionicle in a singular set. That way every one of the top three (4?) themes would be active and adapted in some form for 2022, maybe even the top 5 considering Trains is currently active.

Maybe, but just because pirates got one set last year do not mean that Lego would never give us a new one next year :shrug_oh_well: It may even be that bonkle do not get the 90 year set, but get something else soon because of all the love from the fanbase. The 90 year set is only one set, not a full wave of sets so even if Lego has plans for a theme it do not rule out that that theme also gets the 90 year set :sceptic:

19 minutes ago, dysnomia said:

Even if Lego chose Bionicle I don't think fans would get what they want. From what I've seen (here and on the Ideas website) most people want either closure for the theme itself or constraction sets in general. While I don't know much about Bionicle's story I seriously doubt one single set can finish it properly. And of course people who want more constraction sets in general would still want more (just like castle and pirates fans also want more sets despite having some recent sets).

I agree, if the bonkle fanbase is big enough Lego may relese new sets in the future and I have no problem with that. However now it is one set either or we are fighting about so I really hope they do not win:devil:

29 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Would it not be funny if this is just a really early setup for 1 Aprils fools?

I mean it would be...LEGO probably knows how much a vote messes with us.

46 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Would it not be funny if this is just a really early setup for 1 Aprils fools?

If Lego sent emails to the addresses associated with every Ideas account that took part in the final vote, in the same style as their announcements for big D2C sets, specifically tailored to tell people that the theme they voted for won, that could sow some chaos. Double points if they emailed all Bionicle voters an announcement that one of the System themes won, but emailed all the System voters an announcement that Bionicle won.

Probably kill all trust among AFOLs for the rest of time, mind, but the uproar on the day would be a spectacle to behold.

Does anyone truly trust a business? I hardly trust a company, except to accept my money and supply goods or services. (Unless it is insurance, then I can only trust that they will take my money...), it was nice to be offered a vote and I participated. However, it was one of those times I shrugged and hoped that maybe what I would like could happen.

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

That's the main reason most Bionicle fans voted for Bionicle in the poll. A lot of them seriously doubt that LEGO would choose it in order to represent then for their 90th anniversary, but they do hope that if it does well in the poll, than it will get LEGO's attention and potentially generate more sets outside the 90th anniversary occasion.

Exactly. I personally don't think any one theme can truly represent 90 years of Lego adequately, but I'm interested to see what Lego does with the results of this event during and after. 

11 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Pirates, Castle and Space will all have a Lego Ideas set out and available.

Really guys? We're just going to keep pretending Space has some sort of Ideas set out right now?

We're just going to keep doing this, forever?

Edited by danth

12 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I mean, if you're soooo insistent that they won't, then what was the point in voting at all? You have to have some hope for it to happen

I vote more out of fandom solidarity than any hope of getting anything, I know better than to expect much from lego

12 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I don't think for one second that it goes without saying that the Bionicle vote was all for g1. There will be people out there that do like g2. You can't tell me absolutely no one bought the g2 sets, you're throwing huge exaggerated assumptions around. 

Dude, the only people that knew G2 even happened were G1 fans, and most of them just bought it because it had "Bionicle" written on it. I'm absolutely certain that out of that group of folks, somewhere below 5% would have preferred it to G1

10 hours ago, MAB said:

But actually look at what they chose to picture the supposedly different themes (not subthemes, as you could also add what subtheme you were interested in if you wanted to):

It's pretty much just the first image you get when you search them, an image nobody will pay attention to.

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Maybe, but just because pirates got one set last year do not mean that Lego would never give us a new one next year :shrug_oh_well: It may even be that bonkle do not get the 90 year set, but get something else soon because of all the love from the fanbase. The 90 year set is only one set, not a full wave of sets so even if Lego has plans for a theme it do not rule out that that theme also gets the 90 year set :sceptic:

All I'm saying is that Lego has already appealed to each the other groups - so giving it Bionicle, not only because it was in 1st place, but also because it would provide something unique seems more likely. I'd rather not see them G3 unless they can secure it would be a long lasting theme and not cancelled abruptly like G2.

29 minutes ago, danth said:

Really guys? We're just going to keep pretending Space has some sort of Ideas set out right now?

We're just going to keep doing this, forever?

LEGO-Ideas-Earth-Globe.png

I meant an ideas set for 2022... I feel the 'Earth Globe' counts as it will likely end up released in 2022. What better D2C to represent space than a depiction of the Earth, as if from Space :P

19 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

meant an ideas set for 2022... I feel the 'Earth Globe' counts as it will likely end up released in 2022. What better D2C to represent space than a depiction of the Earth, as if from Space :P

I think a set of the 'Earth' doesn't really count as 'space', since space is the stuff that is not earth.

Space is sets like the galaxy explorer, blacktron and the creator theme space sets, and many more, a lego representation of a common worldly object isn't a space set, as it is far removed from what space is.

We all forget that there is already a creator space set available and a second one coming this march, that are both obviously examples of the space sets space fans refer to, so there will be two space sets available this year, these might be better examples.

Edited by Stuartn

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

It's pretty much just the first image you get when you search them, an image nobody will pay attention to.

All I'm saying is that Lego has already appealed to each the other groups - so giving it Bionicle, not only because it was in 1st place, but also because it would provide something unique seems more likely. I'd rather not see them G3 unless they can secure it would be a long lasting theme and not cancelled abruptly like G2.

LEGO-Ideas-Earth-Globe.png

I meant an ideas set for 2022... I feel the 'Earth Globe' counts as it will likely end up released in 2022. What better D2C to represent space than a depiction of the Earth, as if from Space :P

^Seriously?

Anyway, of the four classic themes Space has received the most attention in recent years, from the various TLM sets, City Space, Creator 3 in 1, and several Ideas projects. Also, there have been various Pirates sets in the last 5 years, and if you go as far back as 2013 Western was well represented in the Lone Ranger theme. Which only really leaves Castle as the big void of the four, but for many Castle/Fantasy fans, the LOTR theme was enough to scratch that particular itch, for others it wasn't.

Interesting that there was a recent LEGO IDEAS Bionicle project that didn't pass review. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

^Seriously?

Yes, it's a Lego Ideas set that could work in the theme of Space and it will likely be adapted into a set in early 2022.

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Which only really leaves Castle as the big void of the four, but for many Castle/Fantasy fans, the LOTR theme was enough to scratch that particular itch, for others it wasn't.

Castle has sets this year.

34 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Yes, it's a Lego Ideas set that could work in the theme of Space and it will likely be adapted into a set in early 2022.

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Where in space do you see a brown semicircular arch that is sitting on brown base that is labelled "The Earth"? 

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

So why give images at all if nobody pays attention to them.

5 hours ago, Scarilian said:

They haven't appealed other groups any more than Bionicle though. Bionicle got Mixels, for example. You might not think Mixels are Bionicle but they are buildable articulated figures, ball joints, so close enough if other people get to decide what you should be happy with. If people can say others should be satisfied with what they've got  even if they are not, then so should Bionicle fans.

And why would this set be unique? Something unique would be doing something they haven't done before. That seems to be precisely the opposite of what LEGO wanted here.