Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

9 minutes ago, leafan said:

Because Castle not making it was the result of their mistake, and Trains or Town were not victims of that mistake.

I agree it did deserve to be added as you're right it was there mistake, but I think that the mistake should have been rectified earlier or accepted as unfortunate and unfair, but not changed.

It is unfair now as castle, which could refer to any part of multiple themes, now goes up against classic space and pirates, both of which were split and will represent only subthemes (the former into classic space, blacktron, M-tron, spyrius, space police and many more, and the latter into pirates an imperials) when the vote commenced, yet still won.

I am fine with castle winning though, I'd prefer over two of the four themes, but my vote for classic space is now in.

Edited by Stuartn

38 minutes ago, MAB said:

I hope this means they have already selected Castle to win. If it hasn't been chosen, why bother with the explanation when they could have just left it out?

I mean, to me the most obvious reason would be recognizing that Castle fans felt cheated by the way the poll was set up, and wanted to resolve that in a way that felt fair and respectful to the winners of the poll but also to Castle fans.

After all, even knowing that there's no outcome to this poll that would make everybody perfectly happy, it's safe to say that they didn't intend for such a large subset of the fanbase to feel like they had been denied a fair chance, given that one of the benefits of the Ideas platform for TLG is that giving fans a chance to weigh in on what products get released in the future helps them earn more approval from those fans. Making fans feel like their voices don't matter is the antithesis of that.

Plus, while they clearly ended up with regrets about breaking the Castle theme up by subtheme, it would be a truly inexplicable form of self-sabotage to put Castle at a disadvantage like that in the first phase of voting if they intended to rig the final outcome in its favor from the start.

Trains and Town still exist today in the form of City and they just did a Crocodile Locomotive. I love Trains as well and hope they keep making expert level train sets or even better, give us a wave of train sets and expansion packs!

If castle didn't come back in final round, I would have voted for classic space. Hopefully they will give classic space the same treatment that pirates got last year and castle will get this year from ideas and creator 3 in 1. It is a good point that there always seems to be a castle and pirate set in ideas review stage but not classic space. Maybe cause all the attention went to realistic space ideas like Saturn V, Space X and NASA?

I do agree that in light of them combining castle in name, they should have done the same for space and pirates so that space will get votes for their sub-themes and pirate fans know it could also be an imperial set. But definitely use the comment field for that. 

Anyway, I have voted for castle (and shout out for goat!) as it is my favourite out of the 4 but I left a comment saying they should make a series of 90th anniversary sets, not just one set so that more fans get the barracuda treatment!  They can clearly see in the numbers that there are a lot of love for the top 4 plus trains and adventurers too.

Good luck to all and may the fans win.

Looking more closely at the Time Cruisers image from the first page...

native

Left side: castle

Upper left: space

Lower middle: pirates

Upper middle: city

With elements, styles and parts from each theme in this single build. *oh2* The mashup for all was right there! TLG: LOL. :laugh:

35 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Looking more closely at the Time Cruisers image from the first page...

native

Left side: castle

Upper left: space

Lower middle: pirates

Upper middle: city

With elements, styles and parts from each theme in this single build. *oh2* The mashup for all was right there! TLG: LOL. :laugh:

I genuinely would choose bionicle over that :snicker: 

I have to say... I really wish TLG would have set it up so the final round top 3 (well, now 4) would each have a set made for them and call it at that. I feel while you can't always please everyone, you literally could with one of each of the top 4...but now, some will feel like winners, and some will feel like losers, and I feel that tlgs 90th anniversary shouldn't be promoting that kind of feeling. It should revel in the nostalgia feelings, and a top 4 reimagined sets would do just that. 

I genuinely do feel bionicle fans should get something. While pirates got the luscious PoBB and space got bennys awesome ship, they haven't realistically got much else worthy outside of that (the pirate rollercoaster is a stretch and more a scrap of food than something solidly worthy of being classed as authentic pirates. The creator pirate ship is a nice attempt, I've no idea how actual pirate fans feel about it), and it's too easy to judge Castle in its rumoured creator set when it could be amazing, it could be crap. Currently, it's lacking. Outside of the blacksmith, I feel it needs some love.

They all do. 

I truly hope space fans aren't put off by Classic Space not being grouped as space. Classic Space means nothing to me, but, I still voted for it because for me, it's still closest to where my heart started with lego. 

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I genuinely do feel bionicle fans should get something.

Another constraction line with lessons learned from G2 and SWC would be nice; Make smaller/less expensive sets, actually market the theme, and for the love of God don't put humans in it

16 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I genuinely do feel bionicle fans should get something. While pirates got the luscious PoBB and space got bennys awesome ship, they haven't realistically got much else worthy outside of that (the pirate rollercoaster is a stretch and more a scrap of food than something solidly worthy of being classed as authentic pirates. The creator pirate ship is a nice attempt, I've no idea how actual pirate fans feel about it), and it's too easy to judge Castle in its rumoured creator set when it could be amazing, it could be crap. Currently, it's lacking. Outside of the blacksmith, I feel it needs some love.

To put things in perspective, here are the where things stand:

Bionicle: Entire theme lasting for two years (2015/2016), 42 sets total

Pirates: Two major sets, 2020

Castle: Two major sets, 2021

Space: Two major sets, 2014, minifig pack 2018 2019

Basically, the minifig pack is the only semi-recent thing Space has gotten. And nothing serious other than that since 2014.

Space is way, way behind.

Edited by danth

4 minutes ago, danth said:

didn't you guys have Nexo Knights a year ago? Bricklink says there was a little over a hundred of those sets during its run

2 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

didn't you guys have Nexo Knights a year ago? Bricklink says there was a little over a hundred of those sets during its run

Didn't you guys have Chima buildable figures, Star Wars buildable figures, Knights Kingcom buildable figures, every Technic set...

:tongue:

2 minutes ago, danth said:

Didn't you guys have Chima buildable figures, Star Wars buildable figures, Knights Kingcom buildable figures, every Technic set...

If we're going to lump Technic in with Bionicle, we might as well lump Ninjago in with Castle at that point

26 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

If we're going to lump Technic in with Bionicle, we might as well lump Ninjago in with Castle at that point

Nexo was space lumped in with Castle... :laugh:

1 hour ago, Kingriedak said:

Right and Star Wars with Space which I really don't want!

Truce! :laugh:

I ask myself if there really was a mistake? I could believe they have tried to find out which factions are the most popular ones.

Who knows, the construction of a Castle set could have been started already behind the scenes.

33 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

I ask myself if there really was a mistake? I could believe they have tried to find out which factions are the most popular ones.

They could ask... oh they did. Classic Castle was a mistake, so they fixed it. They asked what you would like to see when I voted for Aquazone. 

I'm hoping this votes proves LEGPO shouldn't even ask for fans help, they will find a way to bitch. I'm voting for Bionicle now just to spite everyone.

2 hours ago, danth said:

Literally my point exactly :laugh:

Why do they insist castle=nexo knights? It just isn't. Unless the above counts, which, to them, it doesn't 

3 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

No. Castle isn't nexo knights. Danths point is Nexo knights is as much castle as bionicle is the star wars/Chima/knights kingdom constraction figs, which to you guys, just isn't bionicle. To castle guys, nexo knights just isn't castle. 

'oh, but it's based on castle, just in space!'. No. 

Otherwise, 'oh but chima/star wars constraction/knights kingdom is just technic ball joint pieces shaped like posable figures so is based on bionicle.' 

Again no. So let's leave the nexo knights thing, yeah? 

8 hours ago, danth said:

Space: Two major sets, 2014, minifig pack 2018

Basically, the minifig pack is the only semi-recent thing Space has gotten. And nothing serious other than that since 2014.

Pirates also got a full wave of 7 sets in 2015, at the same time the Bionicle reboot came out. 

And the Benny's Space Squad minifigure pack actually came out in 2019, not 2018. 

9 hours ago, danth said:

Space: Two major sets, 2014, minifig pack 2018

Does the LEGO Ideas Exo Suit count as Classic Space?

6 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

If the Blacksmith counts as Castle, then yes.

13 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Nexo knights was the closest thing to the neon-era space we've gotten for a while. Transparent orange and transparent green stuff. Cybervampires. Almost a warhammer 40k vibe. I thought it was pretty neat. But it was almost all vehicles! So I can see how it didn't scratch the same itch.

Edited by EamonnMR

Changing it at this point doesn't make sense

They should start all over again

You would think a huge company like TLG would know how to put together a poll but.....

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

And the Benny's Space Squad minifigure pack actually came out in 2019, not 2018. 

I bought it in Dec. 2018. I specifically remember getting it the day after Christmas. It's also listed as available in Dec 2018 on Brickset here.

But you're right, it looks like it's technically considered 2019 set, so I'll concede the point. Plus, it was only available for like a couple of days in 2018.

But let's all keep in mind, it's a minifig set. Minifigs don't replace a 2000 piece Ideas set or a $100 Creator set. Which is why I only mentioned it as an afterthought.

3 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

It was one of the two I was referring to for 2014. That, and Benny's Spaceship.

28 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

You would think a huge company like TLG would know how to put together a poll but..... 

That's what bothers me. What person who knows anything about Legos would put together that poll, and go "Yep, looks good!" Did nobody review it? Did nobody see the obvious issues?

For one, are Black Falcons and Lion Knights "themes" or even "subthemes"? No. I grew up buying them, looking at them at the store, seeing the ads for them, pouring over the catalogs, and they were never presented as "theme". They were simply factions sold within the same theme. Whoever created the poll just looked at the "subthemes" on Brickset or something, but many of those aren't subthemes so much as just tags for factions or other miscellaneous (like "Bonus Pack"). 

And as for the counting of the votes, they should have foreseen the issue of counting subthemes vs themes. If they had originally said "We might count these by subtheme, or by overall theme, at our discretion", then maybe I wouldn't be so embarrassed for them. Now that the result show there's general Castle interest spread throughout its subthemes, then yeah, do what they did, but also put it up against (General) Space and (General) Pirates.

But don't call it a "mistake". Create options that make sense by doing your research and having people review them, and then think about different ways it might play out, and then be up front about the different ways you might interpret the vote.

But saying after the fact, "Nobody could have known that splitting castle up into 7 subthemes would make it unfair to people who just want Castle." That's just ridiculous.

Edited by danth

4 minutes ago, danth said:

For one, are Black Falcons and Lion Knights "themes" or even "subthemes"? No. I grew up buying them, looking at them at the store, seeing the ads for them, pouring over the catalogs, and they were never presented as "theme". They were simply factions sold within the same theme. 

And in some cases, they were sold in the same box ... Black Falcons, Crusaders/Lion Knights, Forestmen and plain Castle.

6103-1.png

6103-1.jpg

Yet now we are told they were different themes.

33 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Changing it at this point doesn't make sense

They should start all over again

I can't see how starting over (and by extension tossing out all the votes from the first round) would seem any fairer. It'd definitely come across to Bionicle fans as sour grapes. Adding Castle to the pool of front-runners is probably the least disruptive way of appeasing people who were unsatisfied with the way the first poll was set up without upsetting people who were fine with it.

I cast my final vote for Pirates! :pir-grin: I kind of suspect Pirates won't win, but it is my favorite of the remaining themes and was my favorite as a kid, so it felt like the authentic choice.