Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

53 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

Why shouldn't it augur the other way, that they're staying away from Western themes in general? (Or, for a different spin, if it means what you claim, then why should pirates be in the poll, right after Barracuda Bay?)

Even if they were avoiding "traditional" western themes (and especially a set homaging the not-particularly-sensitive classic theme), I feel like the framing of BrickWest Studios (which is framed more as an "old Hollywood" film set rather than the messiness of actual history) could get it around that.

Also, regarding why Pirates wouldn't be excluded as well, it could be a matter of the release window being closer. If BrickWest Studios passes review it's likely that it would be released next year just like the set that results from this poll, at which point Barracuda Bay would already be two years old.

That said... I would hesitate to assume that Western not being included confirms or deconfirms BrickWest Studios one way or another. It's entirely possible that the reason for its exclusion in this specific instance is unconnected to any future plans for Western sets, through Ideas or otherwise.

10 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

If, ultimately, Bionicle does win I don't think it will look anything like what people would hope for, which will be a shame for the fans.

That may be very true, but a lot of fans just want something, Bionicle isn't exactly Chima or Space, there are not any current alternatives in production for the fanbase (the mocist side at least) to turn to right now, so they're desperate for anything. Personally, all I want is for Lego to just tell us whether Constraction is dead or not so that I can finally move on from lego as a whole

3 hours ago, Modal said:

I think it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone else think the odd omission of the Wild West theme almost confirms that the Brickwest Studios Ideas set will be approved in the next Ideas review?

I'm thinking it's political. Cowboys... Indians... hmmm... I don't see Lego coming out of that as a winner... remember the Osprey helicopter, a couple of months ago? The set was hardly released when consumer groups made such a fuss about it that Lego almost immediately redrew the set. I think they learned their lesson... but then... I didn't see Insectoids and UFO either... or maybe that would 've been "space overkill"... :grin:

anyway, hoping for classic space :blush: keeping fingers crossed... because... with Lego... ... you really never know...... ...  still, it would be awesome to get an "expert" 18+ set with a black cover and a blue-grey spaceship... :wub: still... even when Classic space wins and gets a set... I can see Lego doing something stupid... like creating a white colored space base and trans green canopies or whatever... :distressed: :sing:

Should be trans-neon orange canopies, with blue and white, or trans-neon green, with black and red!

Edited by Flak Maniak

If Bionicle were to be chosen, here is what I would like a System-based Bionicle tribute set to look like:

Kopaka, Toa of Ice

If whatever LEGO will end up producing will look like that, I think most of the Bionicle community will be more than satisfied, even if it's made from system. It would only require bringing back one single mask mold, which technically speaking shouldn't be that big of a deal for a special 18+ set aimed at collectors. On top of that, a set like this could potentially be of interest to a few casual AFOLs, too!

Edited by Lego David

If they can make mechs for literally every theme, they can do the same for bionicle. I mean, even fricking lego Spiderman had a mech.

Besides, those balljoints are still in use in the bigger mechs.

5 minutes ago, Lego David said:

a set like this could potentially be of interest to a few casual AFOLs, too!

I was gonna say that I had serious doubts about that, but than I noticed "casual afols", so perhaps that would work. I'm pretty sure if Bionicle were to hypothetically become a system line and be put forth as the main action theme, many hardcore afols would avoid it for the name alone, just look at how badly the system Bionicle sets sold back in 05-07

8 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

If they can make mechs for literally every theme, they can do the same for bionicle.

don't, I can't speak for everyone but I'd honestly hate to see Bionicle reduced to minifigs riding in mechs

3 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

No, without minifigs inside. So just the mech without a cockpit. Like the bull from https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=80010-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0} without a minifig on the shoulder.

Ah, I guess that could work, as long as the sets themselves have knees, or the amount of articulations thats common with Bionicle sets.

10 hours ago, MAB said:

They didn't state that they will pick one of the three from the first poll. Although they also didn't say that the theme with the highest number of votes in the second round would win. The exact wording was:

The second vote will be the top three themes from the first vote. One of the three themes will be the theme the 90th Anniversary Set will be based on. This vote will not be transparrent, so it's still a little bit of a secret.

So it is not clear how the winner will be picked, whether it is the fan vote or their choice. No doubt they are purposely vague so that they can override any result they don't like or stick with it if they do.

The remarks that have led me to believe that the 2nd poll will not be used to decide the winner:

We will run this fan vote of all 30 themes from today the 17th of January 2021, to the 25th of January 2021. Then on February 3rd 2021, we will launch a second fan vote of the top three themes from this fan vote which will run until February 10th 2021. One of these three themes will be what the 90th Anniversary Set will be based on, but we still want to know what the most popular of the final three is!

• It seems to imply that any of the three themes from the 1st poll will be the anniversary set regardless of what happens in the 2nd poll, while the line is after the remarks on the polls it never specifies that the 2nd poll has any relevance
  • It seems to imply that the purpose of the 2nd poll is solely to decide the most popular of the three themes and that this will not relate to the chosen set, it also seems unconnected to the results thanks to the remark 'but'

You've helped us choose a classic theme to be reimagined as a single new product for the 2022 LEGO Adult Portfolio, by picking your favourite classic LEGO themes from 30 options. But there's still work to be done!

• The past tense nature of the remark 'helped' coupled with the line overall imply that the selection of the 90th anniversary set is completed at this stage
  • Though they later remark on the 2nd poll and how 'there's still work to be done' they just repeat the same line of 'one of these three themes' which from prior context of the previous statement implies that the 2nd poll is just for popularity/market research for Lego and won't factor into the 90th anniversary set.

This vote will not be transparrent, so it's still a little bit of a secret.

• The hidden nature of the 2nd vote makes it more likely to be accused of manipulation, thus any winner would be rejected by the fans as the results could easily be manipulated
  • The open nature of the 1st vote means that while people may be disappointed with the results, they can legitimately count the votes themselves and verify the accuracy on a public database. The lack of this for the 2nd vote means it will be contested.
9 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Ah, I guess that could work, as long as the sets themselves have knees, or the amount of articulations thats common with Bionicle sets.

Lego don't really have the time needed to produce the old pieces again and/or to produce a new constraction style building system (unless one was already planned for release in 2022)

Most likely the Bionicle set would be:

• Some form of statue or head/bust (E.g. Tahu head/bust, Mata Nui statue)
  • Some form of mosaic (E.g. Unity/Duty/Destiny Symbol, Bionicle Logo)
  • Some form of replica of the island (E.g. Architecture style Mata Nui Island)
  • A minifigure style set similar to the 20th anniversary set proposed on Lego Ideas
  • A mech build akin to 71738: Zane's Titan Mech Battle, 76105: Hulkbuster Ultron Edition or other similar mechs

The only constraction style thing you could hope for is maybe the addition of a Mask, like the MoUP could be included as a GWP or in the set because they had completed a design for it and probably still have the necessary things to create that lying around.

Edited by Scarilian

So aren't there enough constraction/buildable fig pieces floating around to make a pretty good Bionicle figure? Like from the Star Wars figs from two years ago? Maybe you'd just need a few new pieces for masks or weapons.

Then add in some Technic parts?

I'm not a Bionicle fan so I don't know if that would work. But it seems like it would.

I guess my question is, why would it have to be System at all?

31 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

The only constraction style thing you could hope for is maybe the addition of a Mask, like the MoUP could be included as a GWP or in the set because they had completed a design for it and probably still have the necessary things to create that lying around.

that sounds more enticing than any of the other things you've listed. It would have been better if we actually got that back when anyone cared about G2, but ever since that was killed most fans have migrated back to G1, G2 just didn't have any staying power due to the lack of lore and poor marketing

7 minutes ago, danth said:

So aren't there enough constraction/buildable fig pieces floating around to make a pretty good Bionicle figure? Like from the Star Wars figs from two years ago?

Lego doesn't make any constraction figs anymore, and the SW sets were...very much not an ideal replacement for Bionicle

Like I've said before, I just want Lego to officially announce whether Constraction is dead or not. Its the only thing keeping people like myself around the lego community, and I'd very much like to finally know if I'm wasting my time waiting

2 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Lego doesn't make any constraction figs anymore, and the SW sets were...very much not an ideal replacement for Bionicle

Sorry, I meant as a possible parts selection for a new Bionicle set. Along with some new molds for masks or what not.

Not "Bionicle fans should be happy to make MOCs with those parts instead of getting new sets." It pisses me off when people do me like that when it comes to Space. :)

Or maybe you got that and think the SW constraction parts aren't suitable for Bionicle at all.

5 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

that sounds more enticing than any of the other things you've listed. It would have been better if we actually got that back when anyone cared about G2, but ever since that was killed most fans have migrated back to G1, G2 just didn't have any staying power due to the lack of lore and poor marketing

Hence why I feel that will be an addition to sell the set to those who are more interested in constraction/buildable figure themes while the set itself would be system based.

22 minutes ago, danth said:

I guess my question is, why would it have to be System at all?

Generally the original Bionicle theme's building system was scrapped, so Lego stopped producing a majority of the pieces. This is arguably one of the reasons it can be viewed as 'Classic' along with it being released in 2001 making the first wave of the theme over 20 years old. It'd be very expensive and time consuming for Lego to try and revive an old building system to produce a single set. Some of them still occur occasionally, but it'd require Lego to revive an entire building system for a specific set.

CCBS is an option, but I expect Lego have decided against using CCBS and are currently transitioning to a new building system that will be less expensive and/or more adaptable. Something akin to Knights Kingdom's building system would honestly be perfect for Lego currently. A future building figure theme would then be a nice blend between system and constraction.

I wager the new Marvel Mechs with Mixel parts are going to be the basis for any future Constraction theme, either as mechs themselves or just as the basis. So going fully into System basis while keeping the balljoints instead of trying to invent a "Brick" for constraction, which CCBS was.

And given that those sets are £9 while the Toa in G2 were £20 (If I remember right), and that's with the licensed markup, I'm personally okay with that. I just want whatever the theme is, whether a third Bionicle, a second Hero Factory, or something else, for it to be good and take off.

Edited by Lord-Vorahk

6 minutes ago, danth said:

Or maybe you got that and think the SW constraction parts aren't suitable for Bionicle at all.

Hero Factory, Bionicle G2, and SWC all used the same building system (ccbs), so naw, the parts were good, its just that Bionicle (when done right) is usually very colourful, which the Star Wars Constraction sets never were. But hey, they reintroduced Brown into out colour pallets, so that's good

2 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Knights Kingdom's building system

Ehhhh, Knights Kingdom was...well, the armour additions were great, everything else was kind of useless from my perspective, I'd be surprised if anyone was into the figures for anything other than the swords, shinguards and shoulderpads, 

If they remake Bionicle, I hope they do not make everything chrome...

The Toa mata had nice colour-schemes, but even the second wave already had chrome shoulder pads and breastplates. All weapons where chrome.

I have a lot of bionicle from my childhood. When cleaning it after my "dark ages" I really only cleaned like 10 weapons and left the rest in the big bin, since all those other weapons are not interesting or colourful to me at all.

Compare https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40581&idColor=2#T=S&C=2&O={"color":2,"iconly":0} or https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40339&name=Bionicle Weapon Long Axle Trident&category=[Bionicle]#T=C with https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44813&name=Bionicle Weapon Staff of Light Blade&category=[Bionicle]#T=C or https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=19992&name=Bionicle Weapon Sword / Shield&category=[Bionicle]#T=C

Western may be out of the picture because some of Lego's competing brands are focusing heavily on Western at the moment and they may not want to look bad by comparison.

18 minutes ago, Kingriedak said:

Ehhhh, Knights Kingdom was...well, the armour additions were great, everything else was kind of useless from my perspective, I'd be surprised if anyone was into the figures for anything other than the swords, shinguards and shoulderpads, 

I'm thinking more of something like Knights Kindoms pieces where it was just a regular Lego brick with ball joints. Nowadays Lego could do a lot with that, as has been shown with the Mixels line. I feel that will be the basis for the next wave of buildable figures - where you have a basic structure and you build using Lego system pieces. Maybe something similar to the current mech builds for Superhero figures where they have a specific body piece. The current mech builds (spoilered for space) feel like a basis for that concept.

Spoiler

1d8b28c7-8beb-5e0c-8112-bafc344dd482_140

4 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

Western may be out of the picture because some of Lego's competing brands are focusing heavily on Western at the moment and they may not want to look bad by comparison.

The second 2020 Lego review of 35 Lego Ideas sets includes a set known as Brickwest Studios. It is generally believed that Lego Western was not included because Brickwest Studios will be one of the winners the review and made into a set that would be released in 2022. I feel such a set would satisfy Lego Western fans and if such a set were to be released, Western would not need a 90th Anniversary set.

webp

13 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

The current mech builds (spoilered for space) feel like a basis for that concept.

Ah, Aanchir actually posted some mocs that sound almost exactly like what you're talking about: 

Knights of Mata Nui

If they were close to these, I'd totally be in favour of them 

Edited by Kingriedak

2 hours ago, Kingriedak said:

Hero Factory, Bionicle G2, and SWC all used the same building system (ccbs), so naw, the parts were good, its just that Bionicle (when done right) is usually very colourful, which the Star Wars Constraction sets never were. But hey, they reintroduced Brown into out colour pallets, so that's good

So if Lego could use the (recently in use) constraction/ccbs molds, and produce pieces in the appropriate colors for Bionicle, do you think Bionicle fans would prefer a set using those over something more System-based?

Edited by danth

6 minutes ago, danth said:

So if Lego could use the (recently in use) constraction/ccbs molds, and produce pieces in the appropriate colors for Bionicle, do you think Bionicle fans would prefer a set using those over something more System-based?

Possibly... but then again, Lego basically already did that with the 2015 and 2016 sets, to mixed reception. And since them, the most "recent" uses of most CCBS parts have gotten further and further away. At this point, it feels like it would be unlikely for Lego to revive the system for a single set (since even if the molds are usable basically no CCBS parts remain "in production" in other sets and would have to be reintroduced for this set specifically). Perhaps if they already have other plans for bringing back the system for next year it could happen, but otherwise it seems far-fetched.

A system-based homage is more likely if anything, I think, because even if the popularity of a direction like that is a bit up in the air (Bionicle fans can be mercurial and a move like that could be polarizing even if it did end up accepted by a large number of fans), the practical considerations of putting a set like that into production are more favorable.

17 minutes ago, danth said:

as Lyichir just said:

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Lego basically already did that with the 2015 and 2016 sets

Which I (and pretty much all of my friends) loved, we were big fans of Hero Factory's building system, and loved the system that G2 used, although in 2016 Bionicle took an aesthetic nosedive with all the metallic colours. kind of amazing how they were spot on in 2015 and missed the mark almost completely the following year.