Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

Just now, Lego David said:

Ok, I get that a lot of AFOLs don't understand the appeal of Bionicle, but I don't think anyone should put it as their least favorite choice at "number 30". That's almost kind of rude to be honest. Are you seriously telling me that it would be better is something like Divers (which just got a new wave in City recently) would be more deserving of an anniversary set that Bionicle, the line that helped a lot into shaping the company into what it is today? :wacko:

To me it is not which theme that deserves it the most, but what I want personally and find useful. I find Divers very useful because the sets where packed with animal moulds, however as you mention something similar was in City last year so it is not so high on my list. Bionicle would not give me anything I could use and every theme has helped shaping the company into what it is to day in my opinion. I know that Bionicle helped TLG get back on its feet, but if they have kept making pirates, castle, town etc from the late -80 and early -90 in the same spirit, Lego would probably never ended up in trouble in the first place :wacko:
I am almost sure because of the hopeless voting system that Bionicle will end up among the 3 last ones, I just hope that one of pirates or castle (not classic) subthemes is among the 3 also so fans of those can join forces then :pir-classic:

I'd buy any of these:

Imperials Forestmen Pirates Black Knights Lion Knights Wolfpack Black Falcons Arctic Classic Castle M-Tron Blacktron Space Police Classic Space

Possibly these too:

Aquazone Rock Raiders Ice Planet

So with my luck it's def gonna be something other than that :)

My picks:

Ice Planet, Aquazone, Rock Raiders

Thoughts:

I prefer the neon-colored 90s space to classic (that's probably a hot take) but I can't see Mtron or Ice Planet winning out over Classic Space which has a loyal following. I love me some neon spaceships or rovers with space's visual language. I wonder if they'll count Pirate-verse/castle-verse/90s-space-verse votes together or if the split will mean themes with a single entry like Trains or Bionicle will have a leg up.

Edited by EamonnMR
's

well i voted for classic space, blacktron, M-tron.

First, i feel you should pick a "heavy weight", not just a theme that lasted for one year and didn't make any impression at the time.

Second, we've seen several sets of pirates in the last 20 years. I really don't think Lego should use this format to produce yet another Pirate set.

Then "Castle"... you know, if Lego were to release a "UCS castle set" of 300 euro with at least two classic factions, sure, i'd be happy and buy it... however, you can use the "ideas" format to do the same. In fact, they just released a "blacksmith"...

so... ...

i think it's time to get Space in the picture. Space never sold really well, it was never the most popular theme, in fact, that still seems to be the case, even though the classic space dude has become a cult minifig...

But, i think many older fans are dreaming of a Galaxy Explorer 'reboot'... just for once, as a salute to the old theme. We also have not seen any reboot of blacktron 1 and M-tron for decades... A shame as well... so i voted for those three.

However, I'm guessing hoping it's gonna be Classic space, Adventures and Castle (whatever theme).

sne

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

70816 was a Galaxy Explorer homage, was it not?

Yes but that was over 6 years ago and included a talking unicorn/cat.

12 hours ago, Lego David said:

No offence, but why do so many people vote for Town and Trains? The whole point of this poll is to get a new set for a currently discontinued line, such as Castle, Space or Pirates. Town and Trains, however, still live on to this day under the City banner. So why are people voting for those? It's not like LEGO is gonna re-release the Town monorail or something. 

No shame asking. Those were the themes I started with when I got into LEGO. I'm a GenXer but even I still remember the Castle and Pirate themes didn't really get off until the 1980s in the USA.

Probably a "Round 2" thing but if Universal Building Sets like the 901 or Technic (Then called "Expert Builder" in the US) were listed one of those would have been my choice instead of Train.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Yes but that was over 6 years ago and included a talking unicorn/cat.

More a "kinda". Galaxy Explorer was late 1970s but the 1980s saw 1983's 6980 Galaxy Commander- w/ lots of transparent blue followed by the 1986 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager.
Just when I see the 70816, I don't think of it as a homage to one single set but three "large" Space sets within 10 years.  

13 hours ago, Lego David said:

No offence, but why do so many people vote for Town and Trains? The whole point of this poll is to get a new set for a currently discontinued line, such as Castle, Space or Pirates. Town and Trains, however, still live on to this day under the City banner. So why are people voting for those? It's not like LEGO is gonna re-release the Town monorail or something. 

35 minutes ago, Abridge4u said:

No shame asking. Those were the themes I started with when I got into LEGO. I'm a GenXer but even I still remember the Castle and Pirate themes didn't really get off until the 1980s in the USA.

Probably a "Round 2" thing but if Universal Building Sets like the 901 or Technic (Then called "Expert Builder" in the US) were listed one of those would have been my choice instead of Train.

I think that Town and Trains will get a lot of votes due to the fact that are still around and occupy a prominent position in TLG's product line. This gives them more exposure and familiarity to those newer to Lego, and many older fans will still want tehse sets due to personal preference.

I know it does defeat the purpose of the poll, and it is especially odd since some themes, such as Ninja, have been removed from the list, assumingly because of the existing Ninjago sets.

Edit: I actually put in the preferred subtheme box in the poll 'monorail'. I know it won't happen, but no harm trying!

Edited by Stuartn

I think it would be funny if the set that came out of this was just a mosaic art set. I mean, it would solve any problems of having to bring back old moulds and stuff like that.

41 minutes ago, Brickbuilder0937 said:

I think it would be funny if the set that came out of this was just a mosaic art set. I mean, it would solve any problems of having to bring back old moulds and stuff like that.

Lol, a mosaic of whatever theme wins. There's your Bionicle revival! :laugh:

On 1/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lego David said:

Ok, I get that a lot of AFOLs don't understand the appeal of Bionicle, but I don't think anyone should put it as their least favorite choice at "number 30". That's almost kind of rude to be honest. Are you seriously telling me that it would be better is something like Divers (which just got a new wave in City recently) would be more deserving of an anniversary set that Bionicle, the line that helped a lot into shaping the company into what it is today? :wacko:

Voters only vote for their top three, so nobody can put it as their least favourite choice as number 30. But if you did have to rank them all, then I cannot see what is wrong with doing that, if it was a voter's least favourite of all them. Something has to come last, and if a voter prefers anything system based over constraction, then Bionicle will be very near the bottom of their list. Something has to be last.

We have our first look at the results of the 90th anniversary poll so far!

It seems like Bionicle, Classic Space, and Pirates are the three main contenders.

29 minutes ago, Lego David said:

It seems like Bionicle, Classic Space, and Pirates are the three main contenders.

Given the close votes, Pirates, Trains and Adventurers and possibly even Classic Castle are in the running for third place.

It shows what happens when you split the groups up. Classic Castle, Forestmen and Lion Knights total almost 14%, although of course there is a good chance that people voted for more than one of them so the total would be lower if they were grouped together.

Edited by MAB

On 1/20/2021 at 10:21 AM, danth said:

Any idea what Lego's gonna do with the votes from people with names like "SexyBionicle420" who all joined one day ago and just voted for Bionicle? :D

Looks like their poll brigading worked.

14 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Lol, a mosaic of whatever theme wins. There's your Bionicle revival! :laugh:

Hey, I'd take that. More than anything Lego's given us so far besides the cameos from Nick and Niek's sets.

Edited by ProfSrlojohn

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Where did you find that image?

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Bionicle wasn't my first choice (or in my top five), but I'm happy for Bionicle fans.

But who in the hell voted for Pirates!?!

The Barracuda is still on the shelves, people!

Edited by Alegrispa

Seriously Bionicle, Classic Space, and Pirates are the 3 LEAST exciting themes for me. We literally just got a pirate dream set, Space is done to death, and Bionicle is...Bionicle. Disappointed but whatever, guess I should just go in knowing the set isn’t going to be for me.

Edited by Modal

17 minutes ago, Modal said:

Glad the Gen Z’ers will enjoy their action figure though :sad:

Again, I'm not a Bionicle fan, but that's just rude.

Bionicle means a lot to a lot of people. And now that it's pretty much a dead theme this is a last glimmer of hope for them. There'll be more chances for classic sets, especially with the success of 21322, but this might be it for Bionicle.

This whole thing is stupid anyways, and I'll reiterate; I think they just should've made the anniversary a theme instead of another messy Ideas poll. But patience goes a long way and I think that by the next anniversary they'll do right by all LEGO fans.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, Roebuck said:

Damn, I haven't even thought about that.

This whole thing is just so very, very stupid. So stupid.

Edited by Alegrispa

33 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

Again, I'm not a Bionicle fan, but that's just rude.

Bionicle means a lot to a lot of people. And now that it's pretty much a dead theme this is a last glimmer of hope for them. There'll be more chances for classic sets, especially with the success of 21322, but this might be it for Bionicle.

This whole thing is stupid anyways, and I'll reiterate; I think they just should've made the anniversary a theme instead of another messy Ideas poll. But patience goes a long way and I think that by the next anniversary they'll do right by all LEGO fans.

Damn, I haven't even thought about that.

This whole thing is just so very, very stupid. So stupid.

Sure, but yea LEGO is the one to blame here, having one theme celebrate their history is absurd. 

Honestly, Lego Ideas is a better celebration of their past than what this is shaping up to be, given it turns out how their description says it will. Still think they have time to change the rules a bit.

Edited by Modal

28 minutes ago, Modal said:

is celebrating 90 years of LEGO with Bionicle, a theme targeted for exactly one generation, make any sense at all?

That's a small minded way of looking at things.

Bionicle spanned 15 years.

Adventurers and Alpha Team had a 3-4 year runs, while Studios and Time Cruisers runs were even shorter.

People just love to s*it on Bionicle. They're pathetic.

Edited by Alegrispa

Just now, Alegrispa said:

People just love to s*it on Bionicle.

You’re not wrong :snicker:

17 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

People just love to s*it on Bionicle. It's pathetic.

Bionicle or s***ing on it? :-)