Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

Just now, ProfSrlojohn said:

I mean, it was 11 sets, none of which were that good. Not to mention, the figures look nothing like the characters barring a few exceptions, or are just odd. See the 2005 figures. So they're not exactly the best reflection of Bionicle.

I know the figures weren't that good, but fifteen years on maybe TLG can improve them. They did a much better job with the hero factory figures, so improvements can and should happen.

4 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I know the figures weren't that good, but fifteen years on maybe TLG can improve them. They did a much better job with the hero factory figures, so improvements can and should happen.

perhaps, but at that point, is it really the same thing anymore? The whole idea of Bionicle was to break away from the Brick system to find what works and diversify, if you go the other way, it simply feels like a step backwards.

EDIT: Note, I'm not saying that one system is superior to the other, simply that it goes against the point of the system.

Edited by ProfSrlojohn

My three choices are mostly pretty basic

1. Classic Castle; a Yellow Castle remake (Barracuda-style) would absolutley be the best thing that could come out of all of this!
  2. Adventurers; those classic sets always looked like a ton of fun to me, and Pharaohs Quest was great!
  3. Aquazone; this one is pretty personal. Atlantis is to this day my favourite LEGO theme ever.

And my three runner-ups:

1. Classic Space; you can never go wrong with this one (glad to see Space-PigsPolice is separate).
  2. Rock Raiders; also personal. Power Miners was my first big theme and it's dear to my heart.
  3. Bionicle; I never really got into this theme, but I know how important it is to so many in the community and I'm still hoping for the theme to make a return someday.

This whole thing seems kinda cruel though. A lot of these themes don't have a chance. Why not just create a "Classics" theme around the anniversary? How about ten to fifteen $50-150€ sets, each representing a different theme? Maybe just offer it online as to not to take up store-shelf space? An online-exclusive theme wouldn't be that far-fetched considering their recent AFOL push.

I think an updated remake of set 6441 Deep Reef Refuge from the Town Divers subtheme would be great. It would consist of an expedition boat, undersea laboratory base, coral reef with buried treasure and a submersible all updated to LEGO City theme standards.

Well, if the recent votes are anything to go by, this is turning out quite predictable...

A few votes here and there for Aquazone, Black Falcons and Dragon Knights.

Some more for Black Knights, Blacktron, Classic Space, Forestmen and Imperials.

Yet a tad more for Adventurers and Pirates.

And about a gazzilion votes for Bionicle.

2 hours ago, Merlo said:

Well, if the recent votes are anything to go by, this is turning out quite predictable...

A few votes here and there for Aquazone, Black Falcons and Dragon Knights.

Some more for Black Knights, Blacktron, Classic Space, Forestmen and Imperials.

Yet a tad more for Adventurers and Pirates.

And about a gazzilion votes for Bionicle.

More or less what I expected. Then once Bio reaches round 2, it'll either be swept by Pirates, or lego will pass it over, (since the votes are blind), because, let's be realistic here, it's not exactly able to satisfy enough people at once.

Also, poor aquazone

I voted for Studios, Blacktron and Adventures. My ideal set would be a Studios one. It’d be interesting to see a Studios line now, especially considering all the licensed stuff that’s come out since the original line. 

5 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

More or less what I expected. Then once Bio reaches round 2, it'll either be swept by Pirates, or lego will pass it over, (since the votes are blind), because, let's be realistic here, it's not exactly able to satisfy enough people at once.

Also, poor aquazone

Why would they offer the choice then? They had every right not to, as some other themes are clearly missing.

What's going on with aquazone?

2 minutes ago, Merlo said:

Why would they offer the choice then? They had every right not to, as some other themes are clearly missing.

Because, as i detailed earlier in the topic, with something like Bionicle, Lego found themselves in a no-win situation. So, they made sure that they had a opportunity to dodge it if it comes up.

3 minutes ago, Merlo said:

What's going on with aquazone?

Nothing horrible, just lamenting it's bottom-of-the-list situation.

Just now, ProfSrlojohn said:

Because, as i detailed earlier in the topic, with something like Bionicle, Lego found themselves in a no-win situation. So, they made sure that they had a opportunity to dodge it if it comes up.

I understand what you're saying but if:

1. lego puts bionice for vote

2. bionicle racks by far the most votes

3. bionicle mysteriously loses

4. everyone goes insane chanting "stop the steal"

Isn't that worse than:

1. lego doesn't put bionicle for vote

2. everyone kinda disappointed but hey I guess they just think it woulnt' sell

Just now, Merlo said:

I understand what you're saying but if:

1. lego puts bionice for vote

2. bionicle racks by far the most votes

3. bionicle mysteriously loses

4. everyone goes insane chanting "stop the steal"

Hence why round 2 is blind. We have no idea the actual results for round two when the come by.

Just now, Merlo said:

1. lego doesn't put bionicle for vote

2. everyone kinda disappointed but hey I guess they just think it woulnt' sell

Now, coming from someone in the Bionicle community, it might just be. You have no idea the kind of ire that would be generated if Lego didn't at least acknowledge it's existence and influence. Bionicle, (besides the oft repeated point of salvation from financial ruin), is basically the pattern all modern plot-based themes are cut from. It all goes back to it. It was significant and most of the Bionicle community would be quite miffed if they weren't at least acknowledged.

Adventurers got my vote. 

I have no doubt something else will win, but I hope to be wrong in this situation.:grin:

As for the other two? I went Rock Raiders for the long afternoons spent playing the game on PlayStation and Extreme Team because I loved the torso prints and flame helmets back in the day.

Any idea what Lego's gonna do with the votes from people with names like "SexyBionicle420" who all joined one day ago and just voted for Bionicle? :D

6 minutes ago, danth said:

Any idea what Lego's gonna do with the votes from people with names like "SexyBionicle420" who all joined one day ago and just voted for Bionicle? :D

Is there anything wrong with new people joining LEGO Ideas in order to vote for the theme they want? As long as they aren't doing fraud votes or stuff like that, I don't see any problem. 

Edited by Lego David

Just now, Lego David said:

Is there anything wrong with new people joining LEGO Ideas in order to vote for the theme they want? As long as they aren't doing fraud votes or stuff like that, I don't see any problem. 

Oh, it's totally fine if they're different people who are voting of their own interest. But certainly people will be trying to game this, just like every internet vote. That's what I'm worried about. Sockpuppet accounts or whatever.

1 hour ago, danth said:

:laugh: Well, time to create a "SexyAdventurers420" account there

Desperate times call for desperate measures

2 hours ago, Abridge4u said:

Stuck with the classics. But that's what happens when you've been building since the 1970s..

I have been building since the mid 2000s and that was my exact vote too

13 hours ago, Abridge4u said:

Stuck with the classics. But that's what happens when you've been building since the 1970s... :shrug_oh_well:

Screenshot_2021-01-20 Activity Entry.png

No offence, but why do so many people vote for Town and Trains? The whole point of this poll is to get a new set for a currently discontinued line, such as Castle, Space or Pirates. Town and Trains, however, still live on to this day under the City banner. So why are people voting for those? It's not like LEGO is gonna re-release the Town monorail or something. 

I think everyone should read this:
https://www.stonewars.de/kommentare/lego-ideas-umfrage-zu-classic-set-problematisch/

How many voting for classic castle wants a yellow castle with brickbuilt horses? Not many is my guess, they just want a castle set from the late -80 early -90.

The way Lego should have done it was let us vote for e.g castle then let us vote for our favourite subtheme directly or in the next round, the same with other themes. The way it is now themes like Bionicle will have a huge advantage.
We will see what the 3 final themes are, but I will vote for anything other than Bionicle there.
If one of the first 10 are winning I will be happy, after that I will get more unhappy the farther we go down the list :wacko:

1. Imperials
  2. Forestmen
  3. Paradisa (if it mens we get a stable with a lot of horses)
  4. Pirates
  5. Black Knights
  6. Lion Knights
  7. Dragon Knights
  8. Wolfpack
  9. Black Falcons
  10. Divers
  11. Adventurers
  12. Trains
  13. Town
  14. Arctic
  15. Time Cruisers
  16. Classic Castle
  17. Aquazone
  18. Studios
  19. Xtreme Team
  20. Rock Raiders
  21. Ice Planet
  22. M-Tron
  23. Blacktron
  24. Space Police
  25. Spyrius
  26. Exploriens
  27. Classic Space
  28. Alpha Team
  29. Model Team
  30. Bionicle

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

No offence, but why do so many people vote for Town and Trains? The whole point of this poll is to get a new set for a currently discontinued line, such as Castle, Space or Pirates. Town and Trains, however, still live on to this day under the City banner. So why are people voting for those? It's not like LEGO is gonna re-release the Town monorail or something. 

If LEGO allow people to vote for a theme, then people should be allowed to vote for that theme without questioning them. Sure, we still get City sets which are similar to Town, and we get the occasional train set. But then we also get the occasional Pirates, Castle and Space sets too.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

We will see what the 3 final themes are, but I will vote for anything other than Bionicle there.

Ok, I get that a lot of AFOLs don't understand the appeal of Bionicle, but I don't think anyone should put it as their least favorite choice at "number 30". That's almost kind of rude to be honest. Are you seriously telling me that it would be better is something like Divers (which just got a new wave in City recently) would be more deserving of an anniversary set that Bionicle, the line that helped a lot into shaping the company into what it is today? :wacko: