Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

I voted for Pirates, Aquazone and M-Tron. Aquazone is my personal favorite; you will forgive me indulging myself. Pirates are I think a very straightforward and defensible choice, and a consolidated theme unlike all the split-up space and castle subthemes. Finally I chose M-Tron, as out of the available space themes I like its color scheme the most. Space, Castle, Pirates are all fine with me; I'd love for any of them to return. But, well, apparently more than that I'm an Aquazone partisan. Aquazone is thankfully consolidated here, not that that will save it!

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

I can’t vote because I have an older LEGO account that can’t be integrated with Ideas, keeping me and others with older LEGO accounts out of any Ideas vote - which is extremely unfair.

This begs the question: why can't you make a new account just for Ideas?

If this isn't the right place to post and should be elsewhere, feel free to move! Although given what this forum all want and how this affects sci-fi lovers, I feel its very relevant! 

I received a lego ideas email about their 90th anniversary and them doing a fan vote contest to bring back a classic theme reimagined as a standalone set! This is close enough to what we all pretty much want! Details here:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/fd5cc3b8-284f-4520-825f-7c3f5e4a50fe

The issue I see here, is, we all love classic space, but there are so many seperate themes in the classic space period that could potentially scupper the chance (as our votes end up split between the many Sci fi themes). As much as I know Castle fans could benefit, I much prefer a Sci fi theme to win. 

Additionally, if I'm honest, my top 3 would be exploriens, spyrius and m-tron, as I wasn't around for actual classic space and so didn't get an attachment to it. My top preference would be stuck between ice planet and spyrius... I'd not expect both to make it into the top 3 so my choice would be made for me!) 

Additionally available are Blacktron, space police, aqua zone, time cruisers, rock raiders, shown as examples, and I do believe not limited to. So on top of that, there would also be power miners, Blacktron 2, space police 2, space police 3, Mars (or whatever it was called), bionicle, and the rest I can't remember.  It seems the list they showed is actually all that's available for voting :( which is strange but oh well :def_shrug:

What would your votes for top 3 and first preference be? 

(voting will be done in 2 stages, first will gather top 3 voted themes, second stage of votes will vote for winner of top 3).

Edited by Fuppylodders

1 hour ago, Kaanere said:

This begs the question: why can't you make a new account just for Ideas?

I could but would need to use a different email address which is a nuisance.

Also, if there are any benefits to having your usual LEGO account (and VIP status) linked to your LEGO account for Ideas, I wouldn’t get them. There may not have been any and there may be none now (I don’t know), but I wouldn’t get any future ones. If LEGO ever found out I had two accounts, they may penalise me for that even though the reason for doing that is LEGO’s fault (bureaucracies rarely recognise the reasons of others or admit their own mistakes).

Edited by AmperZand

This whole poll is kind of broken to be honest. Why split all the Castle and Space subthemes when you could unify the fans of those lines together under one single poll choice? On top of that, most of the choices in the poll feel really random to be honest. Time Cruisers? Studios*huh* I know that a lot of AFOLs are nostalgic for those lines as well, but lets be real here, there is no way those semi-obscure one-off lines are gonna win, and even if they did, I don't see how LEGO is gonna realistically make an 18+ set based of them. 

And finally, arguably the biggest issue is that they are going to make only make one single set based off the results of this poll. Regardless of what theme wins, a lot of people are going to be disappointed more or less. Why can't they just release a series of multiple sets based off popular classic themes? Why does it need to be only one? This entire poll is just gonna turn into a large-scale competition between LEGO fanbases, each of them trying to get their favorite theme to win. 

Edited by Lego David

So Black Falcons, Lion Knights and Forestmen are different themes are they LEGO ... so what is going on here

6103-1.png

17 hours ago, Calanon said:

Welcome to first past the post voting.

Yeah, it sucks. I really, really wish they either let us do voting on sub-themes or let us do preferential ranking.

:thumbup:  Ranked choice voting should be more prevalent in all polls!  Election results would closer match the community's actual wants and desires regardless of additional 'similar' candidates.

19 minutes ago, jtooker said:

:thumbup:  Ranked choice voting should be more prevalent in all polls!  Election results would closer match the community's actual wants and desires regardless of additional 'similar' candidates.

In a contest where the final votes are not transparent, it probably doesn't matter anyway! I doubt they are having the first vote independently audited either so even though they say it is transparent, nobody will ever really know if LEGO have chosen the top three in the first round.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

So Black Falcons, Lion Knights and Forestmen are different themes are they LEGO ... so what is going on here

LOL! :laugh: Good point.

I would be happy if any of those won or Dragon Knights or Classic Space. I suspect that LEGO will take the survey’s result as advisory, not binding. It may already have mostly decided and is just looking for confirmation before fully committing itself.

Just now, MAB said:

In a contest where the final votes are not transparent, it probably doesn't matter anyway!

I agree.  I also support TLG's choice to have final say on the final product - mostly because internet voting is not an accurate representation of the LEGO-buying population.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Interbreeding. :pir-love::tongue:

I guess they will count the whole castle theme as one but maybe split it to see which fraction is more popular to have a better idea on what fans would love to get in case it wins. This is just a guess though :) 

31 minutes ago, adwind said:

I guess they will count the whole castle theme as one but maybe split it to see which fraction is more popular to have a better idea on what fans would love to get in case it wins. This is just a guess though :) 

I don't think they will, as it means you can vote three times for Castle (and Space) but only one time for Town. It seems odd to split Space and Castle, especially Castle where those factions appeared in a single set, yet not split Town into Fire, Police, Construction, Airport, Gas Station, and so on. They even ask about sub-themes, which makes splitting up Space and Castle even more perplexing.

1 hour ago, AmperZand said:

LOL! :laugh: Good point.

I would be happy if any of those won or Dragon Knights or Classic Space. I suspect that LEGO will take the survey’s result as advisory, not binding. It may already have mostly decided and is just looking for confirmation before fully committing itself.

It wouldn't surprise me if they already know the winner.

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

This whole poll is kind of broken to be honest. Why split all the Castle and Space subthemes when you could unify the fans of those lines together under one single poll choice? On top of that, most of the choices in the poll feel really random to be honest. Time Cruisers? Studios*huh* I know that a lot of AFOLs are nostalgic for those lines as well, but lets be real here, there is no way those semi-obscure one-off lines are gonna win, and even if they did, I don't see how LEGO is gonna realistically make an 18+ set based of them. 

And finally, arguably the biggest issue is that they are going to make only make one single set based off the results of this poll. Regardless of what theme wins, a lot of people are going to be disappointed more or less. Why can't they just release a series of multiple sets based off popular classic themes? Why does it need to be only one? This entire poll is just gonna turn into a large-scale competition between LEGO fanbases, each of them trying to get their favorite theme to win. 

Totally agree. They split Castle and Space fans into seven categories each! So in fact half of all themes 14/30 will be Castle and Space! I would not think that they will go for aggregation of the results. So this indeed works as dirty elections with multiple candidates to draw the votes. As if lego would not like these themes.

Uniting them into one Would give more options for other themes like Western, Indiana Jones or Monster Fighters (though this one is not too classic I guess). And yes... Why just one?

Just now, Old-mf said:

So this indeed works as dirty elections with multiple candidates to draw the votes. As if lego would not like these themes.

It gives them a rationale do whatever they want, essentially. If they really want to do Space, they'll add up all the Space votes and say "People really want Space!" If the don't want to do Space, they'll compare each subtheme separately and say "There was lots of interest in various Space themes but none of them won." Same for Castle.

To be fair though, data on which subthemes are the most popular is good to have. They probably should consider how many votes Castle and Space get as a whole, and how many each subtheme got. 

I voted for Classic Space, Blacktron, and Ice Planet. I couldn't risk using any of my votes for non-Space themes! We're getting two Castle-y sets this year anyway.

Like some others have suggested, I feel a better way to have done this would be to vote for a broad theme category in the first vote (Space, Castle, Pirates, Action/Adventure, Town etc.) and then vote for a narrower sub-theme in the second round. 

I'm not sure when it says the second vote is not "transparent" that means they're giving themselves license to disregard the vote, as some have suggested.  Else am I just being naive?  I thought that just meant they're not going to reveal the winner, until they reveal the set - but they're still committing themselves to respecting the vote?

i hope it is castle pirate or Johnny Thunder.  most other theme excpet bionicle and the one i mentioned have a theme like it unless you count harry potter as castle

I don't understand how city can be included because already we get plenty of sets that are modernised, as they've consistently done City the entire time! 

Feels like a waste to vote on something that already has its fair share of continuity. 

Also not sure why they didn't include aquasharks, as they were a theme in themselves, albeit an opposing faction of aqua zone, but still individual and not a progression of aqua zone. 

I'd hoped BIONICLE can win. I'd some times feel like the line is over looked by most Lego fans and mostly AFOLs which is understandable. 

BIONICLE has it's own important role in LEGO's history. as well creating a path for more original and story-driven like Ninjago. Hero Factory. Chima. Hidden Side and Monkie Kid.

So what if it's not classic LEGO system. Early Technic based or CCBS. they'd were creative and innovative as the classic bricks and minifigures.

BIONICLE was it's own thing. it's why. it was unique, because it was different.

It's should be up there with Classic Space, Castle and Pirates. I'd love this three lines and have deep respect for them. when you've think Classic Space, Castle and Pirates. as well Trains. This four themes had many incarnations and sub-themes. BIONICLE only had two incarnations.

Why not give BIONICLE a another chance? "Will Mata Nui ever raised Again? 

who's known. Thank you to any LEGO fans, BIONICLE fans across many webs

Edited by TOABIONICLEMASTER2001

4 hours ago, MAB said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they already know the winner.

It really wouldn’t surprise at all if it turned out that a decision had already been made by one team (possibly product development) but was being resisted by another team or senior person, and the survey is just needed to make the business case by the proposer. We may never know however.

To reference the last ideas survey, I have a bad feeling about this.

Look what happened with the SW UCS survey, some youtuber began influencing people to vote, and many people voted thinking that the set they chose (gunship) would come with tonnes of figures, and if you were one of the people that appreciated what you would get if the gunship won, and voted not for a ridiculous amount of figures, but for the aesthetics and design features of the actual gunship, realising and liking what the realistic set would eventuate as, well you're unfairly lumped in with those that voted for the wrong reasons.

This is a very SW related situation, but the same could happen with these classic sets.

This list of options is a bionicle gunship, 27 nebulon Bs and a couple of TIE Bombers (what would be really great sets but don't have a chance). Everyone will end up bickering about it and for no reason since, as Lego say themselves, the vote is not transparent so they will pick what they want anyway.

I am dumbfounded as to why bionicle is on the list, I think the bionicle pieces are no less an important part of Lego than system sets, but the last bionicle sets come out  5 YEARS AGO!! It started 20 years ago, earlier than some other options, and there was a break between 2010 and 2016, but it seems so modern compared with other choices, and you must wonder why Hero Factory was not included.

I also wonder why the space and castle themes are so divided up, when town and trains are not. This could, and probably will mean that the united vote of town, trains and bionicle fans will win out over the more deserving space and castle.

Both space and castle have had their last proper theme in 2013, and they have both had the odd sets appear, such as in the creator, ideas (the upcoming blacksmith set) and Lego movie themes, as has pirates. Castle has had some more attention with castle-ish (emphasis on the ish) sets in ninjago and nexo nights.

I would anticipate that futuron was left off the list because of its association with the monorial. Either it miraculously included a monorail in which case town, train and space fans will all vote for it, giving no hope to any other theme, or it doesn't include one and the people who voted for it are dissapointed.

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

don't understand how city can be included because already we get plenty of sets that are modernised, as they've consistently done City the entire time! 

Feels like a waste to vote on something that already has its fair share of continuity. 

Also not sure why they didn't include aquasharks, as they were a theme in themselves, albeit an opposing faction of aqua zone, but still individual and not a progression of aqua zone

Same goes for trains, even though I will be voting for trains, it doesn't really need it because unlike space, trains has an almost certain prospect of getting new sets over the next few years and already has a set available.