Hi,

I am building next MOC based on model which can be found in the game Snowrunner. I picked KHAN 39 Marshall - it is based on real world vehicle - UAZ 3151. I would like to ask for your advice with one of my biggest problem in mocing - creating a decent looking body. When you see the photos and think "It doesn't look like UAZ..." then YES - you are right and:

meme.png

I wish to focus on body and look (I don't want to discuss functions here, they are there and they are fine). As you can see, the main color is picked (some parts in proper colors are missing, but is not a problem when bricklink is around, the same goes for some missing obvious parts), but any smaller recolors are possible. The biggest problem I have is the front grill. It looks almost ok, but as the grill for Jeep or Land Rover, not the UAZ. I tried to recreate UAZ grill, but I failed miserably. As you can see, there is no much space for it and I am also very pleased with perfect connection of the front and the hood and I definitely will keep that. Important factor is also the fact, that body needs to be as one piece, which can be easily removed, so the body demands some rigidity. Also I plan to add front and rear lights, but at first I need to be sure that the body is right. So, could you help me a little to improve the look so it would be closer to UAZ body look? :)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by keymaker

As someone who was born in USSR I greatly appreciate this. Would love to see LADA as well!

To jump straight in:
First I would add the fenders. They are a big part of the look.
Put the two headlights closer together
Get rid of the vertical grille, but use horizontal beams instead. The grille can be made with either fence pieces (although that is difficult due to the one brick height) or use  black beams (possibly with a sticker)

The characteristic 'shoulder' in the bodywork should be there over the whole length of the car. It looks like the bonnet is slightly tapered, the long 3x11 panels that you already use can be used to show that taper.

The bonnet also has a bit of curvature when looked from the front. I would ignore that (like you did now as well). That is nearly impossible to recreate.

I hope this helps.

@Jeroen Ottens

Fenders? Got it, you are absolutely right. I am on it.

This characteristic 'shoulder' in the body work you are talking about. I am aware of it, but I won't be able to squeeze internals if I try reduce body width from 19 to 17 studs. On the other hand, making lower part of the body as 21 studs width (and then upper part as 19 studs width to be able to create this shoulder) will be taking it to "out of proportion theritory". So as sad as it is, I need to forget about this aspect :(

About the grill, because it is very important part of the look. Are you suggesting to make the front simply as a "wall of beams" - like the sides of the car, but to play with the color (and length of course) of the beams to mimic those two sections of UAZ grill?

This is the blue print I used to prepare initial dimensions of the car. The scale is 1:10,5.

1280x914.jpg

In my childhood this bucket with nuts and forever squeaking breakes was called "Bobik".

I guess they are still on the roads of ex. USSR.

I followed your advices and:

- fenders added

- headlights are located closer and stick out a bit more than before

- grill is changed to mimic original two-part grill with 3 small long holes below it

- front part of the body tapers from 19 to 17 studs

- hood is narrowed

- front wheel arches are now added and visible

I know that the main thing is the characteristic 'shoulder' in the whole bodywork, but at the same time, I have no idea how to make it and not lose proportions.

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Edited by keymaker

On 1/20/2021 at 8:14 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Much better indeed. For the shoulder you can maybe use system tiles? Or vertically oriented stacked beams at half a stud offset.

I am not in favour to use many system parts, but here I do not see other applicable solution. So tiles, here I come :)

The missing characteristic 'shoulder' in the whole bodywork added. I also removed black stripe from the side (I am still waiting for package from Lego shop to be able to finish the hood and replace yellow parts with black ones). What do you think, does it look like counterpart in real life? Have I reached the status, when I can say that the body looks decent? Or should I add/change something more?

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

42 minutes ago, dimka_ya said:

You can try the headlights from part 4740 in metallic silver of flat silver.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have this part in my part collection, trans-clear one. But the part I used now seems to be more similar to real car.

I know, that not many of you are interested such a simple car as UAZ, but for those couple of people who are I will share the current state of the MOC. I believe that I reached the point, when I can say, the the body is decent.

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

It's really amazing how your effort has improved this MOC!

As I am not a big car fan, at first I thought this was a really mediocre MOC, but now your model really represents all the recognizable lines of the original :-)

Two little suggestions:

You can maybe use the liftarm part at the middle part of the end of the roof image.png.e9fa12836a30e7658922829b0bdcd968.png

Can you add a roof rack like in the first pics of the real car? :-)

@Jundis Thank you! I plan to use those new parts for the roof, I simply waiting to be able to buy 42121, where we have two of them.

Roof rack is already ready, as couple of other addons. I didn't show it here because I would like to focus on improving the body itself. I will show all addons and features at the final presentation of the MOC :)

Looks the part, maybe enlarge the rear (trunk) window by removing macaroni pieces as, by the blueprints you presented, the rear window is square-ish in shape so I don't see the need for round corners. All in all, excellent work in improving it from the first draft.

Edited by kristl

That's actually pretty amazing! Such an unappreciated moc really. It's stunningly accurate to the actual thing. And the bodywork is very slick! 
Only thing i would have done differently is the front radiator grilles. 

I would have used those grille system plates 1x2 in gray matching the body color and having a black plate underneath. 

@kristl Thank you. I will follow your advice and get rid of macaroni pieces. Then I will use this small system pieces to make the window bigger and symmetric.

@Mechbuilds Thank you also! I thought about this idea you mentioned, and it is easy to implement for the upper part of the grill. But I do not know how to do it for the lower - longer part. Why? Because I have only one stud of space there... Do you have some idea how to implement it and at the same time fit in one stud width space? Second problem is fact that technic - odd, system plates - even.

Edited by keymaker

On 2/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, Mechbuilds said:

I would have used those grille system plates 1x2 in gray matching the body color and having a black plate underneath.  

Maybe not system plates, but I am just experimenting, do you think it is better like this?

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Kuvahaun tulos: lego grille plate

I think these would make it look better with a black plate underneath.. Since you have an odd number of beams in the grille, you'd need to set the plates off center with half pins so it has a half stud hole between the edges. 

30 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

Since you have an odd number of beams in the grille, you'd need to set the plates off center with half pins so it has a half stud hole between the edges. 

And this half stud whole between edges of plates and beams bothers me. Apart from the fact I do not know how to do this when I have only one stud of width/depth :P

28 minutes ago, keymaker said:

And this half stud whole between edges of plates and beams bothers me. Apart from the fact I do not know how to do this when I have only one stud of width/depth :P

wn8BtzUl.png

EDIT:
If not, i still think that the gray grille looks more accurate than black grille. 

Edited by Mechbuilds