Hello again all,

The Brick Train Awards are back for 2021! These are a virtual awards for LEGO train fans around the world, and are they are free to enter via bricktrainawards.com from 1st - 28th February 2021.

If you followed them last year, you'll have seen the huge variety and a lot of brilliant LEGO models from railways, railroads and transport systems from around the world.

brick-train-awards_2021_promo.png

Prizes

We'll be announcing prizes shortly, courtesy of the very generous Trixbrix who have once again stepped in to support the awards, including the cost of shipping prizes and winner's bricks worldwide. Additional sponsors for individual regions may follow.

2020 winners

If you missed them, winners from last year's Brick Train Awards are listed on the website here; there's a 15 minute announcement video of winners here.

Entering the Brick Train Awards 2021

As before, the awards are free to enter. You can enter up to 3 models per category; this time, models must have been completed in the last 24 months (2 years). Digital models can be submitted in the first 11 categories below:

1. Best steam loco
  2. Best diesel loco
  3. Best electric loco
  4. Best other loco
  5. Best passenger wagon
  6. Best freight wagon
  7. Best special wagon
  8. Best structure
  9. Best TFOL (teenage fan of LEGO) locomotive
  10. Best TFOL (teenage fan of LEGO) wagon
  11. Best TFOL (teenage fan of LEGO) display / structure

The above awards are drawn at a regional level (best models in Asia, Americas, Europe and Australasia) before a global winner is picked from those. The two categories below are judged at a global level only (as there are relatively fewer entries for these):

1. Best group display
  2. Best individual display

Enter your models for free from 1st - 28th February 2021; see details at bricktrainawards.com/enter.

We look forward to seeing what's submitted this year!

Richard - Organiser, Brick Train Awards

48 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

Does this include digital models for any of the categories?

Yep - you can submit digital models for all categories except the individual and group display awards. 

Awwwesome!!

Three TFOL categories is great for me, I've been designing plenty of models recently, 3 engines which will be built. 

Can't wait to hopefully win!

15 hours ago, Legofan29 said:

Awwwesome!!

Three TFOL categories is great for me, I've been designing plenty of models recently, 3 engines which will be built. 

Can't wait to hopefully win!

Yep, noticed a lot of interest in TFOL categories last year, so makes sense to add a few more categories.

A few updates on the awards:

1. Free LEGO photography workshop

We're offering a free LEGO photography workshop as part of the awards - you can register here: bricktrainawards.com/workshops/. This is on Sunday, 31st January 2021 at 1800 GMT, and will be held on Zoom.

2. Prizes for 2021

We've now had confirmation of prizes from our sponsors so far. Every winner will receive a Brick Train Awards 2021 winner brick, as well as...

For regional winners (ie, winners in any category in Asia, Australia, Americas, Europe/Middle East/Africa), Trixbrix are sending:

• 1x double straight tracks Box 10pcs
  • 1x R56 curved tracks Box 8pcs (half circle)
  • 1x half straight tracks 10pcs
  • 50EUR giftcode for trixbrix.eu

brick-train-award_2021_prizes_regional.j

For global winners, they will also receive the below:

• 2x double straight tracks Box 10pcs
  • 2x R56 curved tracks Box 8pcs (half circle)
  • 1x half straight tracks 10pcs
  • 60EUR giftcode for trixbrix.eu

brick-train-award_2021_prizes_global.jpg

BrickTracks have also sponsored all winners in the Americas region, who will receive the following:

• 2x BrickTracks r104 left and right points / turnouts

brick-train-award_2021_prizes_americas.j

Finally, TrainedBricks have sponsored all winners of the steam locomotive category with $50 USD voucher for their store, which can be used towards shipping costs too.

Edited by BricksMcgee
Forgot dates for workshop!

I've looked at the entry requirements, six photos, not many!

And a video, but are there any specifications for this? [Would have preferred 12 photos OR 6 photos plus video, I wouldn't even know where to begin to create a video!]

Is supporting text allowed, to say something about the design from the designer's perspective and/or minifigures' perspective?

4 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

I've looked at the entry requirements, six photos, not many!

And a video, but are there any specifications for this? [Would have preferred 12 photos OR 6 photos plus video, I wouldn't even know where to begin to create a video!]

Is supporting text allowed, to say something about the design from the designer's perspective and/or minifigures' perspective?

6 should be plenty - remember judges have hundreds of entries to review, so make the most of those 6 images.

You don’t have to create a video (most entries don’t include one) - but it can be helpful to show functionality for some models. If you have a smartphone you should be able to capture video - it doesn’t have to be a masterpiece of filmography.

You can include additional text - it’s nice to have some history and information of the model. One modeller last year went as far as putting together a whole presentation on the model!

Look forward to seeing what you submit. 

Just one more question, how do fictional designs factor in? I'm planning on doing a steamer based on a custom design I did and was wondering if the fact that the engine didn't exist irl hampered my chances of entering.

3 hours ago, High_Admiral said:
3 hours ago, High_Admiral said:

Just one more question, how do fictional designs factor in? I'm planning on doing a steamer based on a custom design I did and was wondering if the fact that the engine didn't exist irl hampered my chances of entering.

Good question! Fictional designs can be entered in the relevant category for the model - judges are able to score these as with any other models.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, BricksMcgee said:

Look forward to seeing what you submit. 

Thanks, that is really helpful.

I guess you have already seen the entry, although my head is buzzing full of ideas to take it to the next level, time and Bricklink will be my ruin in that respect.

I've signed up for the photography webinar, looking forward to that.

30 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

Thanks, that is really helpful.

I guess you have already seen the entry, although my head is buzzing full of ideas to take it to the next level, time and Bricklink will be my ruin in that respect.

I've signed up for the photography webinar, looking forward to that.

Sounds interesting! There's always something you can add, a loco builder's task is never complete ;)

No problem - see you Sunday. Link should go out Saturday afternoon (UK time).

If anyone is in the mood to share their entries, there is a Brick Train Awards Flickr page to which you can add photos and videos.

I should stress that this is not part of the entry process and is entirely optional. Entries must be submitted via e-mail using the official process outlined on the Brick Train Awards website. Entries only posted to Flickr will not be judged unless they have also been e-mailed. The Flickr page is only there as a showcase.

Hi out there,

Just one question to be sure:
Does "region" refer to my place of residence, or to the location where the model's prototype operated?

Oh, and another one: Is there a preferred pixel/file size for submitted images?

Best regards,
Sven

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi out there,

Just one question to be sure:
Does "region" refer to my place of residence, or to the location where the model's prototype operated?

Oh, and another one: Is there a preferred pixel/file size for submitted images?

Best regards,
Sven

Place of residence - does mean that if you’re building a loco from another region it’s a little odd, but last year we had a few winners who’d built locos etc which weren’t from their own region.

A minimum of 800 x 600 pixels is asked for, but not technically required. Important thing is that images all fit in to an email - makes life a lot easier for judges!

Posting this about an hour before the Youtube video premieres. Good luck to everyone here who entered! I can say that I've been impressed by a great many entries myself and whoever wins this year's awards is well-deserving of it.

Having just watched the live stream, huge congratulations to all winners - I know there are a few to be found on here!  @zephyr1934 for his coaches and@Gabor for his Stadler Kiss come to mind specifically....

Edited by Vilhelm22

I feel like some of the awards go to the people who are better at promotion - like framing their model properly, rendering, staging, decals, etc. - than to the actual best models (this isn't a universal sentiment - most of the winners were just 'the best' period). It's one of the reasons I don't enter. And that's not to say "haw haw, I'm actually the best but I ABSTAIN." Rather, it's that I just can't compete when it comes to the little details. I design - I don't photoshop (in fact, I can't even render anymore on this PC). And I doubt I'm alone.

Besides, the prizes would be of little use to me. I don't own a single Lego locomotive - track wouldn't do a person such as me much good.

Grats to the winners. The Hush Hush was particularly nice. That's a really complex shape.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

20 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I feel like some of the awards go to the people who are better at promotion - like framing their model properly, rendering, staging, decals, etc. - than to the actual best models (this isn't a universal sentiment - most of the winners were just 'the best' period). It's one of the reasons I don't enter. And that's not to say "haw haw, I'm actually the best but I ABSTAIN." Rather, it's that I just can't compete when it comes to the little details. I design - I don't photoshop (in fact, I can't even render anymore on this PC). And I doubt I'm alone.

Besides, the prizes would be of little use to me. I don't own a single Lego locomotive - track wouldn't do a person such as me much good.

Grats to the winners. The Hush Hush was particularly nice. That's a really complex shape.

I think it depends on the judges. Sometimes, over-Photoshopping things probably cost a few modellers a prize. A good photo certainly helps create a better entry - we did run and promote a free LEGO photography workshop this year to help participants improve their model photography. 

I was very impressed with the Hush Hush. Perhaps we need to stop the Aussies building next year :p