Sign in to follow this  
TGBDZ

[MOC] 42123 alternates by TGBDZ

Hi! 

Finaly got my hands on a new set that I could use for making new alternates - 42123 Mclaren - it's a really great set, but when it came to deciding what to make, it turned out to be a lot harder then I expected. Almost no gears and functioning elements means that the look is the main point for being a successful alternate. I usually make my alternates with the all stickers, and this one was not an exception so taking that into acount it was logical to make something related to racing, but I didn't want to stick with just a random racecar, I wanted for it to be something a bit more special. Thanks @marceriusLV (my brother) for giving me the idea that I could use less than 4 wheels for a racing car, and we all know that the most popular three wheeler is Morgan.

MORGAN 3 wheeler concept

1280x960.jpg

Functions:

• Steering - controlled by the steering wheel
  • V4 - moving pistons driven by the rear wheel
1920x1440.jpg

1280x960.jpg

As with previous alternates - the instructions are available at Rebrickable

Cheers! 

UPDATE. 
Decided to put all the alternates under one topic so here is an update. 

BAJA Racing truck

After making a true three wheeler I decided to stick with 4 wheels, seeing that there are several truly great racing cars/formulas already made I thought of making something a bit more offroad. Initial inspriation was from the legendary Dakar rally car - Schlesser buggy. As usual while making alternates not all things went as planned and in the end I got something more similar to BAJA racing truck, rather then a proper Dakar rally car. Nevertheless I really like the end result.
1280x960.jpg 

Functions:
  • HOG steering
  • Pendular front axle (similar to the 42122 Jeep set)
  • Rear axle suspension using flex axle
  • Mid mounted V8 working engine, driven by the rear wheel. 

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg

1280x853.jpg

As usual I try to make 3 builds form one set, and this time was no exception. 

Sea Sparrow

For the 3rd model I decided to not use the wheels at all, so there are basically 2 options - something that floats or flies, I chose the flying option. At first I wanted to make a propeller plane but after 20 minutes of struggle It was clear to me that the plane is not the way to go. Helicopter on the other hand, was comming together super fast and after three evenings I already had a finished alternate (usually it takes much longer for me to make a properly working model). I Didn't want to stick with traditional Lego helicopter functions - working rotors that are linked together, so I managed to add a third function as well. 

1280x960.jpg

Functions:
  • Working main rotor linked with the rear rotor
  • V4 engine connected to rotors (I know that helicopters have different motors :D )
  • Safety clucthes on both rotors that allow the blades to slip

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Working V4 engine is hidden behind the panels 

1280x960.jpg

As always, instructions for my alternates can be found on my REBRICKABLE page.

Cheers! 

Edited by TGBDZ

21 hours ago, amorti said:

You made a legit 1WD out of it, good work!

Thanks! 

21 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Well done. Do you have any photos of the driveline?

Drive line is pretty straight forward - tire is engaging the 12 tooth bewel gear and that's it. To adjust the friction/contact between the tire and the gear it's possible to slide the rear wheel on axle. 

Spoiler

800x600.jpg

20 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Nice build! Really great use of panel pieces!

Thanks! The set has a lot of panels to choose from :) 

22 hours ago, amorti said:

You made a legit 1WD out of it, good work!

LOL, that is how the 1WD car should be made! :laugh:

That's great work, and shows Lego should be embarrassed by the lack of a B model.

I really like the helicopter, as it appeals to me a lot when the B model is completely different to the A model.